Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18057602 times)

Carl_Smith and 79 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #89650 on: April 30, 2021, 02:31:36 pm »
Seems they are tyring to tempt sellers into "Managed Payments" I've had some messages asking me to set it up, including that offer, and the implication that I won't be able to sell if I don't. Inerestingly there is nothing yet absoultly saying you must use it so I'm going to hang on without as long as possible. It's possibe that legally they can force it's ue in the UK so are trying obtuse messages and bribery.

Yeah, classic use of "Dark Patterns" in the user interface. Using dark patterns is the software equivalent of the behaviour of a confidence trickster. It sends a clear signal to anyone watching that you aren't to be trusted and are no better than some itinerant criminal trying to con an old lady into getting her drive tarmaced for a "bargain price".   The State of California are making this illegal, hopefully the rest of the world will sit up and take some legislative notice.

As far as the legality of mandating some particular payment method is concerned I suspect that it's the same as if the owner of a shopping centre were to say "You can only accept VISA for payment, nothing else, and only via our nominated payments processor" to their tenants. You'd certainly fall foul of the Unfair Contract Terms Act because of the implied contract it created for all the consumer customers of that shopping centre but we know that would have little effect because the regulators who ought to do something about it seem to like to sit around with their thumbs up their arses until something hits the headlines. The real threat would be the team of lawyers from one of the big customers saying something to the effect of "You're 'aving a laugh ain't you son?*". The same for eBay, with the likes of Argos (Sainsburys) and other big name brands as vendors on the platform.

* For those not at home with the argot of East End London this is what you'll hear from one of the locals to indicate that he believes you are trying to mislead him to his detriment and, if you do not swiftly take the social escape of pretending to have just been having a joke with him, will shortly provide you with an opportunity to enjoy the splendour that is NHS hospital food. For those that think dialect is poor English I might point out that that dialect says, in seven words, what it took me 46 words of standard English to convey. Cushty!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #89651 on: April 30, 2021, 02:34:13 pm »
According to tracking info, my HP 53132A is on schedule to be delivered today. Yay! Now I'll be tempted to check my doorstep every 30 minutes, just champing at the bit for it to show up.

Hoping nobody tries to schedule any afternoon meetings for me at work today, so I can start messing with this thing as soon as it shows up.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89652 on: April 30, 2021, 02:40:29 pm »
Seems they are tyring to tempt sellers into "Managed Payments" I've had some messages asking me to set it up, including that offer, and the implication that I won't be able to sell if I don't. Inerestingly there is nothing yet absoultly saying you must use it so I'm going to hang on without as long as possible. It's possibe that legally they can force it's ue in the UK so are trying obtuse messages and bribery.

Yeah, classic use of "Dark Patterns" in the user interface. Using dark patterns is the software equivalent of the behaviour of a confidence trickster. It sends a clear signal to anyone watching that you aren't to be trusted and are no better than some itinerant criminal trying to con an old lady into getting her drive tarmaced for a "bargain price".   The State of California are making this illegal, hopefully the rest of the world will sit up and take some legislative notice.

As far as the legality of mandating some particular payment method is concerned I suspect that it's the same as if the owner of a shopping centre were to say "You can only accept VISA for payment, nothing else, and only via our nominated payments processor" to their tenants. You'd certainly fall foul of the Unfair Contract Terms Act because of the implied contract it created for all the consumer customers of that shopping centre but we know that would have little effect because the regulators who ought to do something about it seem to like to sit around with their thumbs up their arses until something hits the headlines. The real threat would be the team of lawyers from one of the big customers saying something to the effect of "You're 'aving a laugh ain't you son?*". The same for eBay, with the likes of Argos (Sainsburys) and other big name brands as vendors on the platform.

* For those not at home with the argot of East End London this is what you'll hear from one of the locals to indicate that he believes you are trying to mislead him to his detriment and, if you do not swiftly take the social escape of pretending to have just been having a joke with him, will shortly provide you with an opportunity to enjoy the splendour that is NHS hospital food. For those that think dialect is poor English I might point out that that dialect says, in seven words, what it took me 46 words of standard English to convey. Cushty!

Not dark patterns with this one. They sent an email about a year ago telling everyone they were going to be doing this, how and why and when.

On the sales side of things, it's nothing like a shopping centre. That analogy doesn't really apply to merchant services. In this case ebay is literally a federated ecommerce front end that has a merchant integration. You are being paid by the merchant at the end of the day. They are replacing paypal with Adyen, that is all. That allows more integrations like Apple Pay, Google Pay etc which paypal have been slow to the market with. Also Adyen's transaction fees are far lower than paypal which makes it a better option for large and volume sellers who ebay is trying to appeal to.

If you want a better analogy it's like a department store, which does facilitate payments for its internal branding customers. It also provides customer service for them etc.

The thing is that if you've ever done any actual real merchant integrations and seen how this all works, you'll realise the turnaround from Adyen is remarkably fast. Most merchants can hang on to cash for days at a time.

On this I've dealt with £650 sized returns as well and it's as smooth as butter. I am impressed. Paypal can be a right shit show resulting in days of arguing with 3 parties all with different opinions to you. On the software and finance side of things I am incredibly difficult to impress. I have torn new arseholes in many products and projects pitched to me with no remorse whatsoever. I even brought a CTO to tears once. But this, I have very few complaints about.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 02:42:53 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89653 on: April 30, 2021, 02:42:20 pm »
Let me 'assist' with a local option :-DD eBay auction: #153238350130

I must resist... I must resist... There is not enough space... :scared:

I think @med and @Cerebus can now 'assist' with your perceived lack of space issue with some inspiration

What? I think all the inspiration that either of us have to offer is in one case "If you pee into a bag you can convert your toilet into more TEA space" and the other "If you lop off a couple of limbs people take up less room".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89654 on: April 30, 2021, 02:48:20 pm »
Holy perfboards Batman! How many fans?!?

I really need to borrow that sound level meter...

I have 1 (one) fan for the LQ, 80mm so it bolts straight to the rad, which bolts straight to the back of the case, and in a vertical orientation, as it is the worst idea ever to run tube-axial fans horizontally; it fuckerises the bearings.

The 1060 GFX card has its own integrated heatsink and fan, mounted horizontally unfortunately, though I could get a horizontal case I suppose to remedy that. The PSU also has a fan, and also horizontal, to my great annoyance.

A horizontal case will be a serious consideration when I build my next PC.

Things have changed in the last decade or so; ball-bearing fans are no longer the golden child of the personal confuser industry. They're inherently too plucking noisy unless you use very expensive bearings that make them NCE for the consumer market.

Most of the current crop of fans with "hydraulic bearings" are fine in any orientation; they were developed for the current crop of power supplies with big fans that pull air up from the bottom and for cases with top-mount radiators. The rotor is held semi-captive inside the magnetic field of the armature and stator, and that is what acts as the thrust bearing.

I have cheapest-possible "hydraulic bearing" fans that are a decade old in horizontal orientation; still as quiet as ever provided I bother to clean the dust off the blades every once in a while. Fans are a consumable supply. I don't feel a need to treat them as an investment.

Before y'all dogpile me... Yes, I know this is a fancy name for a sleeve bearing with synthetic oil and capillary grooves; I don't care, it just works.

Cheers,

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:24:15 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89655 on: April 30, 2021, 02:49:22 pm »
Adobe are horrible at everything indeed. I only use preview on the Mac. That’s all I need :). I use pixelmator for raster stuff which is good enough. Anything else can sod off

Preview for me too, but I used to use the full blown version of Acrobat for production purposes. I don't now as the non-subscription version was 32 bit and doesn't fit into the new 64 bit only Mac world. I have an old MacPro with the last 32 bit capable version of MacOS that I fire up if I really need to use things like Acrobat or Illustrator - the latter is still by far the best vector graphics package out there and I don't want to climb the learning curve for any of the close equivalents for the little bit of work I do that necessitates using vector graphics.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89656 on: April 30, 2021, 03:00:03 pm »
LMAO that Digimess bench PSU sold within minutes of me posting it here.   OK, confess, which of you was it?   :-DD

For 41 quid/US$57...? I'd have been all over that like lint on a furry too!!! :-DD

And I think that is the exact unit (maybe a different rebadge) that guy tried to sell me for $150 with one dead channel and "EZ Bake Oven Left on Overnight" olfactory enhancement... ;) That hideous orange oval power button still haunts me...  :scared:

mnem
*punt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89657 on: April 30, 2021, 03:01:27 pm »

Yeah, classic use of "Dark Patterns" in the user interface.
[snip]

Not dark patterns with this one. They sent an email about a year ago telling everyone they were going to be doing this, how and why and when.
[snip]

The dark pattern I'm referring to here is the bit in bold. I'd contend that it's still a dark pattern when it's done classically, with ambiguous language and small print, as it is when done by messing with the conventions of a computer UI.

As far as the legalities of it all goes, as I've indicated I think it's more about realpolitik than it is about law.

On whether Ayden are a better choice - which isn't really the issue here -  I'm more than happy to defer to your expertise.

Offline 1Ghz

• Supporter
« Reply #89658 on: April 30, 2021, 03:05:35 pm »

I think @med and @Cerebus can now 'assist' with your perceived lack of space issue with some inspiration

What? I think all the inspiration that either of us have to offer is in one case "If you pee into a bag you can convert your toilet into more TEA space" and the other "If you lop off a couple of limbs people take up less room".

Oh... wow... that's extreme! I'm scared!  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89659 on: April 30, 2021, 03:07:07 pm »
LMAO that Digimess bench PSU sold within minutes of me posting it here.

OK, confess, which of you was it?   :-DD
Not me. Rebranded Mastech trash.  :(   Well found out MacBook Air is new. They’re getting it delivered from Amazon directly to me. Super happy.

Yeah... I remember your admonitions from the last time I related that PSU... but... butt... huge transformer, great big enclosure and bountiful capacitor array... perfect starting point for a decent PSU. Even if you just gut the thing and plug a couple of those cheap Chinesium linear CV/CC boards in there (I'll admit; that was my thinking when I was looking at the one in that rabbit warren), still a good value at that price.

mnem
 :-/O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89660 on: April 30, 2021, 03:11:09 pm »

Just got 3x Agilent branded 2007 vintage 34401a (+ 2x Agilent branded 10833B 2 meter GPIB cables) for 1274 USD include shipping.
The cal menu displays 2012 or 2013 as calibration message.Now I need a precision DC source.  :palm:I don't know how to stop TEAS.  :scared:

That's a good start.  >:D

mnem

The following users thanked this post: 1Ghz

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89661 on: April 30, 2021, 03:15:04 pm »
I try to stop TEAS but I already know resistance is futile funtime.

There... FTFY.  >:D

mnem
Just like with courtship, resisting is half the fun...

The following users thanked this post: 1Ghz

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #89662 on: April 30, 2021, 03:33:36 pm »
LMAO that Digimess bench PSU sold within minutes of me posting it here.

OK, confess, which of you was it?   :-DD
Not me. Rebranded Mastech trash.  :(   Well found out MacBook Air is new. They’re getting it delivered from Amazon directly to me. Super happy.

Yeah... I remember your admonitions from the last time I related that PSU... but... butt... huge transformer, great big enclosure and bountiful capacitor array... perfect starting point for a decent PSU. Even if you just gut the thing and plug a couple of those cheap Chinesium linear CV/CC boards in there (I'll admit; that was my thinking when I was looking at the one in that rabbit warren), still a good value at that price.

mnem
 :-/O

Not sure about the Mastech connection, Digimess are a UK manufacturing branch of Grundig? In any case the only piece of Mastech gear I have is very good for the money (2108A).
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89663 on: April 30, 2021, 03:43:46 pm »
pffft. You think that's extreme? Wait'll you see what 'e come up wit' after a couple Guiness...  >:D

mnem

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89664 on: April 30, 2021, 03:58:59 pm »
Adobe are horrible at everything indeed. I only use preview on the Mac. That’s all I need :). I use pixelmator for raster stuff which is good enough. Anything else can sod off

Preview for me too, but I used to use the full blown version of Acrobat for production purposes. I don't now as the non-subscription version was 32 bit and doesn't fit into the new 64 bit only Mac world. I have an old MacPro with the last 32 bit capable version of MacOS that I fire up if I really need to use things like Acrobat or Illustrator - the latter is still by far the best vector graphics package out there and I don't want to climb the learning curve for any of the close equivalents for the little bit of work I do that necessitates using vector graphics.

Inkscape is actually very good, if you ever feel like venturing into the wilderness.  But I hear what you're saying about the learning curve,  I know Photoshop so well now that I don't want to change...  I'm still using an old non-subscription version and - unless Adobe changes their minds about how to sell their software - it will be the last version I use.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #89665 on: April 30, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »
The Agilent U1401B arrived today, and it seems the seller wasn't very accurate on the description.

It was listed as "used", but dayum this thing is pretty much NIB/NOS, it's absolutely pristine, with only the rechargeable battery pack absent (my Turnigy LSD's are better anyway). Even the plastic film screen protector is sans scratches!

With a 3 month Agilent warranty, I'm guessing it was bought by the last owner as a refurb from HPAK themselves. I did find one problem quite quickly:

Run away! AA leaktubes!!
Obviously I'm replacing these with NiMH, as soon as the two I need to make a set of eight are charged. It can charge them internally with the included AC adapter but I prefer to make sure they're all equally charged first.
Maybe I'm being overly paranoid; it apparently uses "4 sets of batteries" which presumably means four banks of two cells. The adapter has a 24VDC output.

Wow, this is a powerful little tool, though "little" is maybe the wrong word. It's the size, shape, and weight of a small brick...
I love the ability to shove ~18V up a diode's clacker to see at what point it blinks, and as for the accuracy...

Apologies for the slightly wobbly pic there, I'll get some better ones as I test it more extensively.

In summary, poor description from the seller, which I should really be grateful for as it would have sold for much more had it been more accurate, amazing tool which has the potential to make my Fluke 289 and Time Electronics voltage potentiometer redundant!
Winner winner chicken dinner, verging on a jammie-git award.   ^-^
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89666 on: April 30, 2021, 04:12:58 pm »
...If you want a better analogy it's like a department store, which does facilitate payments for its internal branding customers. It also provides customer service for them etc.

The thing is that if you've ever done any actual real merchant integrations and seen how this all works, you'll realise the turnaround from Adyen is remarkably fast. Most merchants can hang on to cash for days at a time.

On this I've dealt with £650 sized returns as well and it's as smooth as butter. I am impressed. Paypal can be a right shit show resulting in days of arguing with 3 parties all with different opinions to you. On the software and finance side of things I am incredibly difficult to impress. I have torn new arseholes in many products and projects pitched to me with no remorse whatsoever. I even brought a CTO to tears once. But this, I have very few complaints about.

I guess my question is... what recourse do you have if they side against you? Or are you saying the money & assache saved over PP makes it worth the risk of eating the occasional sale that goes pear-shaped?

I personally see it the same as a choice between paying premiums and self-insuring... I still usually choose the former. :-//

Overall, it still smells to me like they decided that the "eBay Buyer Protection" dealio was costing them too much money with all the Asian scammers they allow to clutter the platform like cowpies in a pasture; but they still wanted those gazillions of little seller fees from that source. So instead of actually hoeing out the trash and getting rid of the scammers, they decided to get rid of PP who almost always sides with the buyer, and turn things back to the free-for-all it used to be where "Caveat Emptor" really is the word of the day.

This isn't even the first time they've done this... that was the exact reason they tried their own payment services before they bought into PP.

mnem
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:18:06 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89667 on: April 30, 2021, 04:13:25 pm »
pffft. You think that's extreme? Wait'll you see what 'e come up wit' after a couple Guiness...  >:D

mnem

I pee into a bag but I have not noticed any additional TEA room. Toilet still required.  :-DD

On a different subject. I may not be around much this weekend and not sure if I'll be on discord. The lady cop is coming up later today for the weekend. We haven't seen each other since January because she was working a special weekend detail and of course as soon as she came off that detail I was struck with my inconvenient medical issues. But we decided it's been long enough even though the most we can do is hold hands and suck face.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89668 on: April 30, 2021, 04:21:45 pm »
Oh and I let Mr Woodchuck know what I really think of his activities....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/test-equipment-for-sale/msg3560358/#msg3560358
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:23:47 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster, beanflying, factory, Kosmic, syau

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89669 on: April 30, 2021, 04:24:00 pm »
[...] the most we can do is hold hands and suck face.  :P :-DD

That one made me chuckle!  :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89670 on: April 30, 2021, 04:30:22 pm »

Yep, like 2 teenagers on a sofa and her parents house.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #89671 on: April 30, 2021, 04:41:11 pm »
And it's here! Yaaaassssirrr!!!!

This is my third item in the HP / Agilent / Keysight family. If this keeps up, HP/A/K stuff may catch up to, or exceed, Rigol in my lab.  :D

The current tally:

HP/A/K

53132A Frequency Counter
1660A Logic Analyzer
16862A Logic Analyzer

Rigol

DM3068 Multimeter
DS1000E Oscilloscope
DS1104Z+ Oscilloscope
MSO7024 Oscilloscope
DP832A Power Supply
DL3021A Progammable Load           
DG4162 Waveform/Function Generator
RSA3015N Spectrum Analyzer

and if I'm honest with myself, I have kinda been eyeing an HP 35665A Dynamic Signal Analyzer... which would help even the deck a little bit more still...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:50:15 pm by mindcrime »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89672 on: April 30, 2021, 04:45:33 pm »

Don't even mention that. My eldest's boyfriend is over this evening. I still haven't got used to that situation yet  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89673 on: April 30, 2021, 04:49:22 pm »

Don't even mention that. My eldest's boyfriend is over this evening. I still haven't got used to that situation yet  :-DD

Y' know that they'll give a shotgun licence to almost anybody, don't you?  ;)

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89674 on: April 30, 2021, 04:54:33 pm »

OK, when I'm sucking face later today I'll think of you Dad.  :P :P :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf