Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18060999 times)

Robert763, onsokumaru and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #89225 on: April 26, 2021, 02:24:32 pm »
How can it be so clean??  :o Not a spec of dust...

Cookie for he/she who can guess what this is...

3325A?

No cookie for you...

Seems a counter...

I'll be keeping them cookies, then !

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89226 on: April 26, 2021, 02:33:28 pm »
Seriously stop spouting 'maybes' as 'reasons. Life has risks so on this application get over the  :bullshit:

Q1: is it a risk to yourself (->I don't care) or a risk to others (->I do care)?

Q2: is the benefit worth the possible penalty?

Q3: is there another way of avoiding the penalty?

The answer to the first question is the most important, since it trumps Q2 and Q3.

And spouting more  :bullshit: when it is NORMAL industry practice to use this method? Irrational spouting of ambit non specified risks without 'evidence' is just crap.

Hopefully people in industry have been trained what to do and possible hazards. I most countries there is a legal requirement to wear eye protection when carring out this kind of "normal industry practice". This risks may not be obvious to eveyone who might read this forum.

Safety is all about maybes. It's part of of my day job to think of the maybes and ensure they are mitigated against as far as reasonably practical.

Given some of the things written on this forum, I'm certain that risks wouldn't be obvious.

One of the things about professional engineers is that they consider not only how something works, but also how something fails.

So as a 'Professional Engineer' you will be giving out Safety advice about Bridge Building and Construction next too  ::)

don't know the rules where you all are.  but 'round here a "professional engineer" is required to have a stamp and seal.

but you don't want to use that puppy unless your malpractice coverage is up to date, because when things go pear shaped even "lionel hutz" could  figure out pretty quick who gets sued.

(my ink pad dried up a long time ago)

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89227 on: April 26, 2021, 02:35:51 pm »

3325A?

No cookie for you...

Seems a counter...

The brains of the outfit are marked 03325-xxxxx so it's related to the 3325. 3325B?  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89228 on: April 26, 2021, 02:36:52 pm »
Got a small package from china, too.

As I've murdered by my own imbecility my neat and handy AD587 reference board (note to myself: they don't like reverse polarity supply at all  |O), I found and ordered some quite cheap AD587 (missed the opportunity to get one of the boards DC1MC discovered).

I've got into the habit of adding a reverse biased 1N400x diode across the power input pins/sockets of any board, whether made by me or bought, that's likely to be powered by slapping a bench supply across it. The diode is likely to survive long enough to protect the board while you realise that it's not working because you've reverse powered it. A hefty Schottky diode would be better, but 1N4007s and the like are what I tend to have around.

I'd like to say this habit developed from cunning foresight and not from reducing several boards to smoking holes in the ground, but I'd be lying if I did.

Did series RPPD myself on the 10Mhz OXCO; a 3A/60V Schottky scavenged from a PCB to minimize energy wasted as heat, as I knew my intended power source would be 7.2-15V depending on whether an old LiPo pack or whatever stone-age XFMR-based wall-wart I could scrounge. Normally I'd do it the way you suggest, and as you say, with whatever diode I have lying around; just not on this particular item,  especially if using the LiPo for clean power. Would rather waste a little as heat all the time than risk those fireworks.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89229 on: April 26, 2021, 02:41:51 pm »
Any Bavarian Boat anchor collectors here? https://www.ebay.de/itm/124696517251

What the hell is an "electronic chastity device" ??!!  On second thoughts, maybe I don't want to know the answer to that question.  :scared:

Theoretical, 2020-10-10: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/32/31#subj16
Practical, 2021-01-18: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/32/45#subj21

That risk strikes me as bleedin' obvious, easily avoidable, not subject to carelessness, and consciously chosen - so my only worry is whether my coffee meets my keyboard.

They obviously didn't do any penetration tests  :-DD

McBryce.

grooooannnnn...   

mnem
*launches volley of soggy ol' boots in a Hamburg-wardly direction*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #89230 on: April 26, 2021, 02:46:02 pm »
And that's it. I'm done. That's the LAST piece of test equipment I need, for now and ever. I'm out. No more. Really. I mean it this time. I am not an addict. I can stop any time...

Sniff, sniff-----------sniff, sniff.  I smell  :bullshit: :-DD

OK, maybe.. just *maybe*... but probably not... maybe, but possibly, I ***might***, under extraordinary circumstances... doubtful though.. would consider, if it was a really good deal... might... maybe... MAYbe would consider buying a power analyzer.

Or maybe another logic analyzer.

But that's IT. No more. Really.

Unless I find a REALLY good deal on a Dynamic Signal Analyzer on Ebay or something.

Then, I'm definitely done. For reals...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:12:44 pm by mindcrime »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89231 on: April 26, 2021, 02:53:35 pm »
Cheap 1GHz scope on ebay this morning   Lecroy DDA-120, 8GS/s, 16Mpts at 250$US   https://www.ebay.com/itm/384116654445

specsheet https://www.artisantg.com/info/LeCroy_DDA_120_Datasheet.pdf
That *is* dirt cheap.

I know... even the cheap-arse dwagon is thinking aboot it, even with shipping to the GWN. |O

Even tho I know that if I did get it working... I'd use maybe once in anger before I kick the bucket...  :palm:

mnem
 :-BROKE
Reading a bit more.. He didn't test it? That I understand... He didn't power it on though? Red flag.

I assume it's either completely dead, or he plugged it in and smoke came out. Your use case and mine are completely different. You are looking at it as an investment for profit... I'm looking at it as "spending some discretionary funds on my own entertainment", the same as I might buy an old car to tinker on for a summer. ;)

I mean... I've blown more than $300 on a bad date; I know I'd get more fun than that poking around this thing's insides.  :-DD

And there's always a chance I'd get it working without spending a small fortune.   :P

mnem
:-BROKE  :-/O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89232 on: April 26, 2021, 03:02:06 pm »
I mean... I've blown more than $300 on a bad date; I know I'd get more fun than that poking around this thing's insides.  :-DD

I've blown more than $300 drinking the bad date away afterwards  :-DD

YMMV but the entertainment value might be quite short because there's a hell of a lot of unobtainium in them.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89233 on: April 26, 2021, 03:03:59 pm »
Cheap 1GHz scope on ebay this morning   Lecroy DDA-120, 8GS/s, 16Mpts at 250$US   https://www.ebay.com/itm/384116654445

That *is* dirt cheap.

I know... even the cheap-arse dwagon is thinking aboot it, even with shipping to the GWN. |O

Even tho I know that if I did get it working... I'd use maybe once in anger before I kick the bucket...  :palm:

mnem
Reading a bit more.. He didn't test it? That I understand... He didn't power it on though? Red flag.

I assume it's either completely dead, or he plugged it in and smoke came out. Your use case and mine are completely different. You are looking at it as an investment for profit... I'm looking at it as "spending some discretionary funds on my own entertainment", the same as I might buy an old car to tinker on for a summer. ;)

And there's always a chance I'd get it working without spending a small fortune.   :P

mnem

Also, it's possible to unlock all the software options on that scope  >:D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:07:40 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89234 on: April 26, 2021, 03:07:57 pm »

3325A?

No cookie for you...

Seems a counter...

The brains of the outfit are marked 03325-xxxxx so it's related to the 3325. 3325B?  :-DD

Didn't do a DNA check. Not 3325x, though :d
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:10:16 pm by Ice-Tea »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89235 on: April 26, 2021, 03:10:18 pm »

I've blown more than $300 drinking the bad date away afterwards  :-DD

YMMV but the entertainment value might be quite short because there's a hell of a lot of unobtainium in them.

So worst case you sell in parts ?  ;D

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89236 on: April 26, 2021, 03:11:00 pm »

That *is* dirt cheap.

mnem

mnem

Oh, I get that, even though the tinker part of the equation is still important to me. If I remember correctly, the autoranging circuitry on these may have a weak spot, so maybe just that. But it's somewhat dishonnest advertising, just wanted to signal that. That's all ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89237 on: April 26, 2021, 03:12:48 pm »
Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately, I dunno... :o) I have a more pressing need: My wheelie chair has finally given up the ghost; so shopping a replacement. Amazing how much BS there is in this particular market ATM...  |O

mnem
*sensible-ish dwagon*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89238 on: April 26, 2021, 03:15:23 pm »
Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately, I dunno... :o) I have a more pressing need: My wheelie chair has finally given up the ghost; so shopping a replacement. Amazing how much BS there is in this particular market ATM...  |O

mnem
*sensible-ish dwagon*

Recycled Aeron. Best thing I ever bought. Also loads of companies gone down the shitter at least here so they're really cheap at the moment :-DD. Maybe the same in   Canada?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89239 on: April 26, 2021, 03:21:06 pm »
In Other News...

Repaired Aorus X570 MB arrived a couple days ago; finally got the "other bench" (read: kids' breakfast table) cleared off last night to start a memtest burn-in.

Currently doing maintenance on the AiO CPU cooler/pump; then gonna load my usual OC profile and run another burn-in with current MemTest86 and all my liquid-cooled goodies.

mnem
*drops back & punts*
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:23:36 pm by mnementh »

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #89240 on: April 26, 2021, 03:39:34 pm »

Let me know, if someone is interested. :-)

Edit:
Will sell them for 15 Euro per unit, including shipping (EU + UK).
If someone from overseas is interested, let me check for the shipping. Down under shouldn't be a problem with the customs etc.

Edit 2:
ch_scr: 5 units
capt. bullshot: 3 units
BU508A: 5 units
syau: 5 units

8 units to go.

Edit: SEPA (banking wire transfer) and PayPal (payments for friends) are both possible.
Will inform you about the details once the IC's have been arrived and I had a closer look at them.
They'll ship from Munich to me.

I could also use two of them.

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89241 on: April 26, 2021, 03:44:23 pm »

mnem
*sensible-ish dwagon*

Recycled Aeron. Best thing I ever bought. Also loads of companies gone down the shitter at least here so they're really cheap at the moment :-DD. Maybe the same in   Canada?

I wish... nothing I could find up here less than $600-ish that wasn't an obvious fake. :palm:

In the Trailer o' Doom, I have a really good clone of the Herman Miller task chair from that series; totally cannot remember the name, but I do miss it terribly.  |O

mnem
 :popcorn:

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89242 on: April 26, 2021, 03:51:16 pm »

That *is* dirt cheap.

mnem

mnem

Oh, I get that, even though the tinker part of the equation is still important to me. If I remember correctly, the autoranging circuitry on these may have a weak spot, so maybe just that. But it's somewhat dishonnest advertising, just wanted to signal that. That's all ;)
It's also PC/HDD based. Better make sure an image is available before hitting BUY. Don't know where the cal factors are stored though.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89243 on: April 26, 2021, 04:05:32 pm »

3325A?

No cookie for you...

Seems a counter...

Nooo. Ok in that case I give up  :-DD

It has fractional N synthesiser asic in it so I reckon audio analyser or test set then  :-//

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89244 on: April 26, 2021, 04:21:40 pm »
don't know the rules where you all are.  but 'round here a "professional engineer" is required to have a stamp and seal.

We did away with all that flummery in the UK on 31 July 1990, since when any documents formerly "delivered under seal" don't actually require a seal. The commonest usage of seals was on "deeds". If it's a "deed" it must clearly say so and be witnessed. (For a "deed" you have 12 years to sue someone over it, versus 6 years for a mere "contract" and there doesn't have to be "valuable consideration" which there does to make a contract binding.)

There has never, to the best of my knowledge, a requirement in the UK for a Chartered Engineer to do anything more than clearly inscribe something as being done in the capacity of a Chartered Engineer, no seals, stamps, or even a special handshake.

The requirement for all Chartered Engineers to smoke a pipe and to wear "uniform appropriate to their rank" (i.e. a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches) was dropped in the 1950s although many informally continued the practice into the 1970s.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, nixiefreqq, cyclin_al

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89245 on: April 26, 2021, 04:25:59 pm »

That *is* dirt cheap.

mnem

mnem

It's also PC/HDD based. Better make sure an image is available before hitting BUY. Don't know where the cal factors are stored though.

No, it's still the "old system". Equivalent to the LC587 or whatever it's called. The followw up Wavepro 950/960 was still pretty much the same except for the flatpanel. Only after that they went windows.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89246 on: April 26, 2021, 04:27:26 pm »

3325A?

No cookie for you...

Seems a counter...

Nooo. Ok in that case I give up  :-DD

It has fractional N synthesiser asic in it so I reckon audio analyser or test set then  :-//

3336B

*munches cookies*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89247 on: April 26, 2021, 04:28:30 pm »

mnem
*sensible-ish dwagon*

I wish... nothing I could find up here less than $600-ish that wasn't an obvious fake. :palm:

In the Trailer o' Doom, I have a really good clone of the Herman Miller task chair from that series; totally cannot remember the name, but I do miss it terribly.  |O

mnem
 :popcorn:

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-gray-90289172/

In all honesty, I'm finding it hard to beat the value of the IKEA Markus, as much as I loathe supporting the borg cubicle store...  :palm:

mnem
 :P

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89248 on: April 26, 2021, 04:30:09 pm »
That's not bad for the money actually. Plus being IKEA if it cocks up you can wheel it the fuck back in and shout at them  :-DD

Bought one of these the other day for an uplighter from them: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hektar-floor-lamp-with-3-spot-dark-grey-60393603/

It might make a decent bench lamp array if you chop the base off it and come up with a suitable horizontal mounting arrangement

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89249 on: April 26, 2021, 04:41:28 pm »

That *is* dirt cheap.

mnem

mnem

No, it's still the "old system". Equivalent to the LC587 or whatever it's called. The followw up Wavepro 950/960 was still pretty much the same except for the flatpanel. Only after that they went windows.

LeCroy really got their start by cloning Tek Type 535's and 545's for the US Government which resulted in a long and drawn out lawsuit by Tektronix which TEK eventually won but was a shallow victory.     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf