Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16585430 times)

dxl, wkb, Peter_O and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #87350 on: April 04, 2021, 03:22:38 am »
Or you could just admit to yourself that privacy in the digital age is a fucking unicorn (or a dragon, if you prefer ;)), start using your iDevices as if someone were always watching, and pay Apple the 99¢ a month to use iCloud as your tertiary backup so that even when you forget your weeklies, you don't suffer too much pain the next time you flush your phone down the loo. :-DD

mnem
*to empty room* I know you're listening. hissssssssssssssssss...

Wife tried that, filled it up in a couple of months LOL.  She likes shooting videos so generates tons of data! 

"privacy in the digital age is a fucking unicorn" is right...  that's why a FTP server makes sense.  I'm tired of paying security tax, now I just want something that actually works...

Facebook gotchoo covered man. Just sign over yer entire family's digital soul to Zuckerberg and you're home free.   :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 03:47:32 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87351 on: April 04, 2021, 03:25:41 am »
Or you could just admit to yourself that privacy in the digital age is a fucking unicorn (or a dragon, if you prefer ;)), start using your iDevices as if someone were always watching, and pay Apple the 99¢ a month to use iCloud as your tertiary backup so that even when you forget your weeklies, you don't suffer too much pain the next time you flush your phone down the loo. :-DD

mnem
*to empty room* I know you're listening. hissssssssssssssssss...

Wife tried that, filled it up in a couple of months LOL.  She likes shooting videos so generates tons of data! 

"privacy in the digital age is a fucking unicorn" is right...  that's why a FTP server makes sense.  I'm tired of paying security tax, now I just want something that actually works...

Facebook gotchoo covered man. Just sign over yer entire family's digital soul to Zuckerberg and you're home free.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

You know, you are convincing me that an open FTP server, one that permits anonymous logins, is actually an acceptable alternative!  :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87352 on: April 04, 2021, 03:27:37 am »

Bwahahahahaha!

mnem
Glad to be of service. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87353 on: April 04, 2021, 03:45:22 am »
In Other News...

A dwagon on LINUX on Discord... What could possibly go wrong...?   :-DD

mnem
I think I hear a bed calling my name... :=\

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87354 on: April 04, 2021, 07:15:49 am »

And I finally got around to scoping out my new Skagen today. A pleasant surprise; it evidently actually is new/unused, as it still even has the plastic keeper-bit on the stem. Popped it out, set the time, pressed the stem in and now it lives.

Super-comfortable, sanely thin, and not a effing hockey puck on my wrist; it is a proper gentledwagon's wristwatch. I love it already. I think maybe I'll even read the destructions that came with it. ;)
Ya goddit on the wrong arm!  ;DMcBryce.

*raises paw*

Yup, southpaw dwagon; guilty as charged.  >:D

BTW... the destructions included with the watch are generic, covering all the watches they made at the time. And shockingly... this Reno Nevada-based, Denmark-immigrant-designed watch is made in Hong Kong with a Japanese movement. Just like everything people want rather than need. :o

mnem
*always in my right mind*

Cool. So you have a left handed soldering iron and screwdrivers?  :)

But a serious question - Which hand do you solder with? My son is left handed, but when I taught him to solder he solders with the right hand.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87355 on: April 04, 2021, 08:06:52 am »
Happy Easter Dwagon!

And Happy Easter rest of you. May the Easter bunny bring you lots of TE.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, FransW, Kosmic

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #87356 on: April 04, 2021, 09:58:33 am »
Doing end of quarter bookkeeping.

I'd rather remove dandruf with a cheese grater.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #87357 on: April 04, 2021, 10:10:32 am »
my sympathies and condolences. I have 4 - 5 shoe cartons in front of me, they contain bills, invoices, receipts, etc that I need to do my 2020 tax declaration.

This sucks.
big time.

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87358 on: April 04, 2021, 10:22:28 am »
I have similar thing to do. Which is why I’m pissing off out and going for a long walk in the middle of nowhere where there is no excel and no tax inspectors  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #87359 on: April 04, 2021, 11:16:05 am »
... there is Apple, who do indeed say "Here's a new shiny...", but continue "...setup up with your restored settings from iCloud with all your photos, messages, etc.". Don't forget that much of the price of an Apple device is the infrastructure to support the 'free' 5Gb of cloud storage that they maintain indefinitely for you - which you can whack up to 50Gb for a very reasonable £0.79 a month (two pints of beer a year) or 250 Gb for £2.49 a month (a coffee a month).

"Please tell me you can fix this...!" (you know, in that squeaky, terrified voice ;)) means "I haven't done a backup in like... ever!!!"
Missed my point entirely - but I suppose I left the backup process as an obvious escape path.

However, in the light of this:
Sorry, but the last 10 to 15 pages of this thread have been IMHO a waste of time. BUT....it does make it easy to catch up because I skip 90% of it.
and the obvious stubbornness (and, I admit, this is on both sides), I shall avoid further comment on this subject, wherever possible.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #87360 on: April 04, 2021, 11:17:32 am »
I have similar thing to do. Which is why I’m pissing off out and going for a long walk in the middle of nowhere where there is no excel and no tax inspectors  :-DD
... but they will be waiting for you when you get back.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #87361 on: April 04, 2021, 11:22:01 am »
Yeah, well, next on the list: trying to figure out what will be changing with online merchants and how it will affect me  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #87362 on: April 04, 2021, 11:27:25 am »

And I finally got around to scoping out my new Skagen today. A pleasant surprise; it evidently actually is new/unused, as it still even has the plastic keeper-bit on the stem. Popped it out, set the time, pressed the stem in and now it lives.

Super-comfortable, sanely thin, and not a effing hockey puck on my wrist; it is a proper gentledwagon's wristwatch. I love it already. I think maybe I'll even read the destructions that came with it. ;)

*raises paw*

BTW... the destructions included with the watch are generic, covering all the watches they made at the time. And shockingly... this Reno Nevada-based, Denmark-immigrant-designed watch is made in Hong Kong with a Japanese movement. Just like everything people want rather than need. :o

mnem

But a serious question - Which hand do you solder with? My son is left handed, but when I taught him to solder he solders with the right hand.

McBryce.

I'm a lefty too and when I wear a watch (which is never) it is also on my right arm. But same as your left handed son when ever I learned a new skill, such as soldering, it is with my right arm. So the main activities I do left handed are write and eat. But I throw right handed.

Yea, I'm weird and proud of it.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #87363 on: April 04, 2021, 11:34:03 am »
I'm a lefty too and when I wear a watch (which is never) it is also on my right arm. But same as your left handed son when ever I learned a new skill, such as soldering, it is with my right arm. So the main activities I do left handed are write and eat. But I throw right handed.

We've observed your weirdness for some time - more than the above statement reveals - and we are quite accustomed to it by now.  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #87364 on: April 04, 2021, 11:44:54 am »
Careful us Lefties are also more creative, intelligent, modest ...... before you get to our natural deviousness, enablement and other such 'positive' traits .....  >:D

Left handed, Left Footed, Left handed for all sports and way back when Left wrist watch wearer. We have a spectrum and I am way way left  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:46:54 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87365 on: April 04, 2021, 12:00:32 pm »
I do, however, feel the regular iPud at ~US$330 is a steal of deal for the tech and painless user experience you get from it...
::)
OK so you want a portable device to work alongside your existing infrastructure which of course for many of us is Windows and you wanna drop PDF's and the like onto your iPad so to have them on hand in the workshop for mechanical repairs and the like.......trouble is Apple and Windows won't play nice together and you need iTunes as an interface just to get PDF's onto your iPad !  :rant:
Sure some of your iPad file sys is visible on Windows but try dropping files onto it for convenience of use later.  :horse:
I had never considered that aspect before as I don't use my iPad on the bench like that, infact I have really considered it as a really serious piece of kit, more of an entertainment centre TBH. I suppose the best tool for that job would be a Surface tablet.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #87366 on: April 04, 2021, 12:02:17 pm »
my sympathies and condolences. I have 4 - 5 shoe cartons in front of me, they contain bills, invoices, receipts, etc that I need to do my 2020 tax declaration.

This sucks.
big time.

We took care of ours yesterday and did quite well from it.  Even saved on the preparation costs as covid killed Mrs. GreyWoolfe's side gig and there was not enough income to claim.  And thanks to the way Flori-DUH manages business licenses, if we don't renew by May and don't spend any money to dissolve the LLC, the state will kindly do it for us for free in September.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87367 on: April 04, 2021, 12:07:54 pm »
Definitely worked out better than doing spreadsheets  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #87368 on: April 04, 2021, 12:14:53 pm »
This past week we had a cold snap but forecast is finally and permanently warming up starting today. Our landscape is starting to look similar to yours. A touch of green and trees budding.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #87369 on: April 04, 2021, 12:22:12 pm »
Careful us Lefties are also more creative, intelligent, modest ...... before you get to our natural deviousness, enablement and other such 'positive' traits .....  >:D

Left handed, Left Footed, Left handed for all sports and way back when Left wrist watch wearer. We have a spectrum and I am way way left  ;)

We are "sinister" and "evil" which I consider positive traits because people stay away from me and leave me alone.  :P :-DD

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87370 on: April 04, 2021, 12:40:22 pm »
Definitely worked out better than doing spreadsheets  :-DD

I hope it's TEA you have in that flask!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87371 on: April 04, 2021, 01:02:15 pm »
Water  :-DD. Got coffee with me too  :-DD. No tea for me, only TEA.

Top of Ivinghoe Beacon attached. Only 233m ASL which is boring but close enough not to be flouting the “stay local” recommendation.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87372 on: April 04, 2021, 01:15:14 pm »
Or you could just admit to yourself that privacy in the digital age is a fucking unicorn <snip>

mnem
Thats the attitude I take with regard to my Alexa devices, but I do recall that drew a certain amount of criticism and people saying that they wouldn't have a bleeding spy like that in their house.
Google track your phone where ever you go anyway and that is not always a bad thing as it has been useful many a time when people go missing as the Police have been known to make good use of that service to give an idea as to search for them as long as the device is powered, it can be located. Equally, the Police can and I believe do, use it to track the location of known criminals if the circumstances warrant it.

As to back-ups of phones and tablets, there are always going to be situations where even if you sufficient free space on the cloud account, that the back-up cannot be carried out. Phones and tablets these days are not just phones and tablets, they are also the electronic equivalent of a Swiss army knife, especially as we had a discussion here only a few days ago about how good cameras are these days on mobile phones and for some situations almost as good as a DSLR and for that reason alone, a phone camera will still work very well, even when there is zero service available on the phone network. Another reason certain makers are wrong to give people the impression that in the event of a mishap that they can diddley squat about recovering their photos, sayings its impossible, buy another shiny and keep it backed up.

I also don't really consider them to be an aspirational flagship product at all, just another player in the market, my own phone is Huawei P smart 2019 which is every bit as stylish as a top iPhone, is as slim, rounded sides and corners, sealed case, 6" screen, resolution of 2340 * 1080 (iPhone 11 1792 * 828) and a excellent camera with professional mode, but only cost a fraction of SWMBO's iPhone 11. There is zero need to pay their prices for top flight performance, quality and feature set, your paying loads for their flashy logo, their high profile advertising and their genius bar, which is not something that I suspect many of us would be likely to make use of. Don't get me wrong I'm well aware that there are a lot of people out there would and do. Many of SWMBO's family for instance are not very big and reading an instruction book and would bring their iPhones and iPads to my sons or take a 20mile ride to the nearest Apple Store and their Genius Bar for assistance in sorting things out  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87373 on: April 04, 2021, 01:23:24 pm »

*raises paw*

mnem

McBryce.

We're all part of lifes rich tapestry and we should all be proud that we are.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87374 on: April 04, 2021, 01:28:23 pm »

This sucks.
big time.

Is that time again already for you? I thought you only did that just before Christmas last year or have a I got that wrong?
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf