Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17851236 times)

onsokumaru and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #87050 on: April 01, 2021, 11:19:39 am »
Got an addiction for fluorescent displays too ! Be them old Nixie tubes, or  more modern VFD's from the '90s.
Scored a rare cool 8 Nixie digits 160MHz Metrix Frequency counter ! A DX446A
So the move into my new house is the opportunity to take my lab to version 2.0 : try to control my GAS for the better : reduce my collection of gear, a bit, in order to better equip my lab with useful stuff. What good is it to have 35 scopes if I don't even have an ESR meter to check caps on all the old stuff I keep finding myself trying to repair ? I ask....

Once you've seen Panaplex displays, you'll want to have some. Ditto the HP "dotted" seven segment LEDs.

You have plenty of tools for measuring voltage vs time, but how about voltage vs frequency, or frequency vs time? Plus, of course, tools that demonstrate your other tools are working within spec.

BTW, welcome :)
The real problem with Panaplex displays is that they are as rare almost as rocking horse poo and when you stumble across one, it's attached to a bleeding great boat anchor  and my anchorage has no place for them to drop anchor  :palm: :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87051 on: April 01, 2021, 11:21:56 am »
I’m a cheap ass and you know it. What do you think?  :-DD
Sticking with the SDS1202X-E ?

Yes. That was disposed of due to the pending move as it was going to be 12-18 months of short finances and hell. I’ve corrected this now I’ve got the deposit back so there’s a shiny new one arriving on Saturday  :-+
Clearly not as much of a cheap ass as you thought then  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87052 on: April 01, 2021, 11:28:33 am »
Yes mine arrived in only 6 days end to end. I think it's the seller as my JLCPCB order has entered the 4px void for the last 5 days now  :(

They seem to use Orange Connex as their courier or possibly for full logistics and in the past I'd sort of half noticed that stuff coming via Orange Connex seems to get here very quickly with no fuss.

Perhaps Orange Connex will put in a takeover bid for Royal Mail - please, pretty please.  :)

Maybe over there, but here they're an utter shitshow. :palm:

mnem
Never again.
I'd never heard of them, so just searched for them and discovered that their reviewers rate just 3.7 out of 10, not very encouraging bd.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87053 on: April 01, 2021, 11:49:34 am »

Yes. That was disposed of due to the pending move as it was going to be 12-18 months of short finances and hell. I’ve corrected this now I’ve got the deposit back so there’s a shiny new one arriving on Saturday  :-+

They are 1/3rd the price of the Keysight I was eyeing up  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87054 on: April 01, 2021, 12:01:57 pm »

They are 1/3rd the price of the Keysight I was eyeing up  :-DD
And 1/10th the price of the LeCroy as well  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #87055 on: April 01, 2021, 12:12:02 pm »
Got an addiction for fluorescent displays too ! Be them old Nixie tubes, or  more modern VFD's from the '90s.
So the move into my new house is the opportunity to take my lab to version 2.0 : try to control my GAS for the better : reduce my collection of gear, a bit, in order to better equip my lab with useful stuff. What good is it to have 35 scopes if I don't even have an ESR meter to check caps on all the old stuff I keep finding myself trying to repair ? I ask....

Once you've seen Panaplex displays, you'll want to have some. Ditto the HP "dotted" seven segment LEDs.

You have plenty of tools for measuring voltage vs time, but how about voltage vs frequency, or frequency vs time? Plus, of course, tools that demonstrate your other tools are working within spec.

The real problem with Panaplex displays is that they are as rare almost as rocking horse poo and when you stumble across one, it's attached to a bleeding great boat anchor  and my anchorage has no place for them to drop anchor  :palm: :-DD

Even more so for dekatrons, and you get fixated watching them rotate :)

Maybe I ought to flog the display panel from my Solatron 7075. Last time I checked it was working fine, all that it needs is +5V +180V and BCD data.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #87056 on: April 01, 2021, 12:39:35 pm »
I've been wondering what my 1000th post would be. Apparently, this is it.

And with the magic of editing a post:

Love this forum...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:41:12 pm by JohnnyMalaria »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87057 on: April 01, 2021, 12:58:52 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Love this forum...

Almost as good as this sign...

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87058 on: April 01, 2021, 01:56:17 pm »
Apparently you can buy your medical equipment on banggood now. What could possibly go wrong ?  :-DD

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:01:48 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87059 on: April 01, 2021, 02:07:29 pm »
Apparently you can buy your medical equipment on banggood now. What could possibly go wrong ?  :-DD

We find out Doug Ford's placing orders?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #87060 on: April 01, 2021, 02:08:12 pm »
In the meantime, I had some progress with the PM330 power meter:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/voltech-pm3300-power-meter/msg3538408/#msg3538408

Apparently the temperature drift that I found fault with is caused by some resistors. I've replaced them and found the instrument still drifting, discovering the new resistors weren't that much matched in TC as I had expected.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #87061 on: April 01, 2021, 02:11:43 pm »
Not sure, if this is an April-fools-day joke:

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/mangder-av-fordon-star-stilla-efter-omfattande-alkolashaveri

@Mansaxel: can you tell us something about this?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #87062 on: April 01, 2021, 02:41:49 pm »
I'd hope that it was in fact just a April Fool's Day prank; not something more sinister:

Quote from: Google Translated Page
  CEO after the alco-lock crash: "Suspected cyber attack behind" 

Lots of vehicles in the Nordics stand still after alco-locks (device used by many municipalities to prevent drunk driving of their vehicles) from the company Dignita crashed last night.

Anders Eriksson, CEO of Dignita, says that it could be a cyber attack - the company's alco-locks are found in buses, municipal company cars and taxis.
    Hundreds of cars at Taxi Göteborg have not been able to start, and in Kungsbacka, among other places, the home care service has not been able to start their cars.

- What we know now is that it is some form of cyber attack, or at least it is a date manipulation, which has taken place in our alco-locks, says the CEO of Dignita, Anders Eriksson.

mnem
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:52:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87063 on: April 01, 2021, 03:05:01 pm »
Not sure, if this is an April-fools-day joke:

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/mangder-av-fordon-star-stilla-efter-omfattande-alkolashaveri

@Mansaxel: can you tell us something about this?

LOL

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87064 on: April 01, 2021, 03:05:12 pm »
I've been wondering what my 1000th post would be. Apparently, this is it.   And with the magic of editing a post:

Love this forum...

If you want to put an image inline, you need to wrap it with img tags like so:

[ img height=120]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1206980;image[/img]

You can also help control eye pollution by using the width or height modifier as shown above (the space after the first bracket is the only reason SMF doesn't process that line as a inline image).

Cheers,

mnem
 :popcorn:

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: JohnnyMalaria

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87065 on: April 01, 2021, 03:11:48 pm »

[

Love this forum...

Almost as good as this sign...

mnem

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #87066 on: April 01, 2021, 03:14:40 pm »

We find out Doug Ford's placing orders?

But it is advertised as a teaching tool.

Ok class, The teacher is teaching you a lesson today on a real live patient; the patient is none other than D. Ford....  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87067 on: April 01, 2021, 03:18:14 pm »

Even more so for dekatrons, and you get fixated watching them rotate :)   Maybe I ought to flog the display panel from my Solatron 7075. Last time I checked it was working fine, all that it needs is +5V +180V and BCD data.

Sadly, probably get more for the test leads and that panel to some nixie clock weenie than the whole working meter. If you were that kind of a perv, which we know you aren't. ;)

mnem
 :-/O

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87068 on: April 01, 2021, 03:34:27 pm »

Even more so for dekatrons, and you get fixated watching them rotate :)   Maybe I ought to flog the display panel from my Solatron 7075. Last time I checked it was working fine, all that it needs is +5V +180V and BCD data.

Sadly, probably get more for the test leads and that panel to some nixie clock weenie than the whole working meter. If you were that kind of a perv, which we know you aren't. ;)

mnem

In this case, you'd be wrong :)

I condensed 3 7075s into 2 working 7075s, and flogged one - including that cable. The display panel is left over. The spacing of the digits makes it less than wonderful for clocks.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87069 on: April 01, 2021, 03:39:34 pm »
The observant among you will have noticed the the HP 3476B DMM I posted a picture of on page 3476 wasn't on.
Tht's because it would not come on  :-BROKE
It worked last time I had it out. It always had one fault, all the decimal places were on. This indicates a low battery but it lasted OK so I assumed (don't do that) it was the battery monitor circuit.
Anyway I investigated it yesterday. It quickly became apparent thet the rechargable battery was flat. Pack seems to be 4 2/3A cells. No leakage visible so I pulled it out and stuck it on the Pro-Peak charger.
Charger said NO!
A quick check on a bench upply in constant current showed about 2.2V at 1/2A. The penny dropped, it had two shorted cells. As we know this is caused by Cadmium crystals growing across the insulator. It's likely that one had been shorted since I had the meter, resulting in permanant low battery indication.
So I stuck it on a capacitor discharge rig and two pulses got it up to 3.4V. Several more got it above 4V. I put it on the Pro-Peak and it charged OK. Capacity check came out at about 600mA/h so not too shabby.
All fixed  :-DMM

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, factory, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87070 on: April 01, 2021, 04:18:48 pm »
Random day today. Had the day off to sort out my mothers house ie all my crap still there. It’s Lego time! Listing some stuff at the weekend. Have about 70 lots of Lego sorted out. Starting with annoying stuff first. Missing a few parts in the valuable sets I’m selling.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87071 on: April 01, 2021, 04:36:32 pm »
...Maybe I ought to flog the display panel from my Solatron 7075. Last time I checked it was working fine, all that it needs is +5V +180V and BCD data.

mnem
In this case, you'd be wrong :)   I condensed 3 7075s into 2 working 7075s, and flogged one - including that cable. The display panel is left over. The spacing of the digits makes it less than wonderful for clocks.

Mmmmhmmm... a tough call, whether to keep as spares for your 7075 or turn into TEA money.  :o

Okay number spacing for a doomsday clock, tho.  >:D

Or could do date/day of week, hours, 2 segments blinking as a colon, followed by minutes and leave the last Panaplex module unused as a spare.

mnem
12 Days, colon, 12hours, colon, 12 minutes 12.1 seconds to midnight...

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87072 on: April 01, 2021, 05:09:15 pm »

There are not always attached to boat anchor size TEA, small digital panel meters also used them, sadly I didn't manage to rescue the DPM attached to a massive tensile testing machine at work.
Or there are plenty of calculators that used them, I sold one a few years ago for very little money.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87073 on: April 01, 2021, 05:17:41 pm »
Yes mine arrived in only 6 days end to end. I think it's the seller as my JLCPCB order has entered the 4px void for the last 5 days now  :(

They seem to use Orange Connex as their courier or possibly for full logistics and in the past I'd sort of half noticed that stuff coming via Orange Connex seems to get here very quickly with no fuss.

Perhaps Orange Connex will put in a takeover bid for Royal Mail - please, pretty please.  :)

Maybe over there, but here they're an utter shitshow. :palm:

mnem
Never again.
I'd never heard of them, so just searched for them and discovered that their reviewers rate just 3.7 out of 10, not very encouraging bd.

I suspect their sorting machine might be a second hand ball mill, followed by a jaw crusher.  :-DD

Never again....

David
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:20:27 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #87074 on: April 01, 2021, 05:29:24 pm »

There are not always attached to boat anchor size TEA, small digital panel meters also used them, sadly I didn't manage to rescue the DPM attached to a massive tensile testing machine at work.
Or there are plenty of calculators that used them, I sold one a few years ago for very little money.

David

There are some smaller pieces of test gear that use them, too - Data Precision put them in some at best rowboat anchor meters - the 3500, for instance.

I have a calculator floating around here somewhere that has them, too.  They're a cool stepping stone between the stacked digits of the nixie and the planar seven segment LED, but as far as spares go they do make nixie tubes look plentiful.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, factory, AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf