Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16864809 times)

Vince and 166 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86900 on: March 30, 2021, 09:55:27 pm »
Oh and the last two D83 as well  :-DD

At least there's no HT on the new scopes. Window shopping Keysight at the moment but not sure I can pull the trigger on 100MHz jobby at that price  :-DD
Now, where have we seen and heard that before?? :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86901 on: March 30, 2021, 10:01:26 pm »
Window shopping stopped now.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86902 on: March 30, 2021, 10:03:40 pm »
Window shopping stopped now.  :-DD
Does that mean, you resisted, or you ponied up the cash and clicked "Proceed to Checkout"  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86903 on: March 30, 2021, 10:05:05 pm »
I’m a cheap ass and you know it. What do you think?  :-DD

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86904 on: March 30, 2021, 10:11:25 pm »
The Type 321A has been on all afternoon with no additional problems.

Tomorrow final calibration/compensation and this project will be complete.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86905 on: March 30, 2021, 10:11:37 pm »
Sticking with the SDS1202X-E ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86906 on: March 30, 2021, 10:13:46 pm »
I'll let others answer this  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86907 on: March 30, 2021, 10:17:35 pm »

You can see that it was cut with shears rather than a saw; believe it or not you can get cutters the size of normal pliers that can shear these and bigger armoured cables. They use a ratchet mechanism and take a LOT of squeezes, but it's often more convenient than a hacksaw in confined spaces.

The big ones of those are somewhat scary. It always strikes me that they'd fit over a human limb quite comfortably - I think it's the similarity to handcuffs.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86908 on: March 30, 2021, 10:18:18 pm »

Wait a minute.  :o I was chastised the other day for using the wrong form of "ass". To you Brits that's a donkey or someone stupid. So....are you stupid or a cheap "arse" (or both)?   :P :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86909 on: March 30, 2021, 10:31:29 pm »

Wait a minute.  :o I was chastised the other day for using the wrong form of "ass". To you Brits that's a donkey or someone stupid. So....are you stupid or a cheap "arse" (or both)?   :P :P :-DD

Cheap ass is an American phrase so I’m excused. Ass is an intensifier suffix. I suspect “cheap arse” is actually a corruption of the original.

You should be glad I’m translating for you  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86910 on: March 30, 2021, 10:45:51 pm »
"Cheap ass" is a skinflint. "Cheap arse" is an inexpensive gentleman or lady of negotiable affection.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86911 on: March 30, 2021, 11:05:56 pm »
You guys are a pain in the ass.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86912 on: March 30, 2021, 11:06:28 pm »

You can see that it was cut with shears rather than a saw; believe it or not you can get cutters the size of normal pliers that can shear these and bigger armoured cables. They use a ratchet mechanism and take a LOT of squeezes, but it's often more convenient than a hacksaw in confined spaces.

The big ones of those are somewhat scary. It always strikes me that they'd fit over a human limb quite comfortably - I think it's the similarity to handcuffs.

We have to make do with the cheaper option at work, then again they don't have to cut armoured cable, only individual wires to the correct lengths (used for traction motors).
Something like these, oddly Cromhell shows the same picture for all three sizes of this cutter.

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86913 on: March 30, 2021, 11:51:04 pm »
Ok, then ass in the US means buttocks whereas here in the UK it means a 4 legged animal as this explains. https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/ass
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86914 on: March 31, 2021, 12:12:49 am »
When I were a lad we spelled both "ass" (donkey) and "ass" (backside) the same, we just pronounced the first with a short A and the second with a long A - the two words are homographs.  It's no different in principle from pronouncing r-e-a-d differently in the two sentences "I am going to read a book" and "I have read a book". In the case of "arse", at some point in the last 40 years or so the spelling of "ass (long A)" shifted to include the extra R to add the long A sound explicitly.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86915 on: March 31, 2021, 12:51:31 am »
Why are my ears burning...? :o

mnem
oww... owww... owwwdammitt owww!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #86916 on: March 31, 2021, 01:04:40 am »
You're breathing fire into a stiff headwind?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86917 on: March 31, 2021, 01:11:24 am »
One for Bean.... Going after some of his nocturnal marsupial cousins this year:   
About a compact lithium battery for this....sick of lugging around 7AH SLA's.   Any tips on what not to get Bean or memn ?   Thinking ~20AH rated  ::) from here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20210329233434&origin=y&SearchText=12v+li+battery

That is entirely too small a mass of aluminum for 30W worth of LED. You'll regret it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32804419844.html

In all honesty, I recommend one of the 12 LED SpaceRay/SkyRay/MantaRay/FukkaChikkenRay flashlights like this one that use 4 18650s.

Search string 12T6 cree xml flashlight should return lots of hits for you to choose from; output will be listed as anything from 8000 Lumen to 30000. What is important is that it is listed as 12 T6 XML LEDs like this one, and that you get the stubby one which uses 4 18650s in parallel. If you get the kit with batteries & charger, just chuck the batteries and replace them with recycled laptop cells; the ones that come with are literally 50-70% empty cells with shit capacity.

But still, overall a great value as long as you get the light delivered for US$25-35. Shop carefully and you'll find a vendor with lots of sales and lots of positive feedback; these things seem to come available and sell out in waves, but the good ones quickly get identified and spread by word of mouth in the CandlePower forums.

Cheers,

mnem
*lit AF*
Thanks but no, hate torch style form factor and need a pistol grip style as it's easier to hold while holding the forend of a rifle.
Just how they measure 30W LED power remains to be seen and I hope it's somewhat optimistic as we don't really need that sort of LED power or the 500m range it offers.

It's a punt and we'll see.........

It's most likely one of these and an appropriate CC LED Driver SPMS. They're commodity jellybeans made for commercial lighting; takes very little to adapt them to Flashlight Maniac misuses. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
Yes if it's the 30W drawing 750mA that's just what we want as it's a 1/3 of what the 30W incandesant draws.
So 9W of heat is not so bad when a Boeing 747 aux landing light drawing near 30A we once used would melt the vinyl on the tractor seat if you placed it lense down !  :o

Getting the focal length right for anything one cobbles together is gunna be a balls ache so nah we'll take a punt on the pistol grip LED spotlight for now.

Currently charging another 12V lithium pack through its BMS from a busted jump start pack I had tucked away......  :popcorn:
Amazed it seems to have bounced back after sitting idle for some years as it only had a volt in it before getting woken up again after all these years.  :o

Well, it's a little more complicated than that. These LED drivers are a CC buck/boost converter; they'll step up the voltage as needed to produce the current for the LED, within a certain output voltage range, and from a certain input voltage range. That means that if it needs to generate 22V to drive the COB at its rated CC, but its input voltage range is 12-14V, it's gonna draw ~2-2.5 times the output current.

Just plan on that when you're designing your power source. ;)

mnem
*tzzzzzt* :bullshit:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:51:38 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86918 on: March 31, 2021, 02:01:27 am »
When I were a lad we spelled both "ass" (donkey) and "ass" (backside) the same, we just pronounced the first with a short A and the second with a long A - the two words are homographs.  It's no different in principle from pronouncing r-e-a-d differently in the two sentences "I am going to read a book" and "I have read a book". In the case of "arse", at some point in the last 40 years or so the spelling of "ass (long A)" shifted to include the extra R to add the long A sound explicitly.

You probably picked it up from Aussies & Kiwis!
It has been "Arse" in Oz for as long as I can remember, & I can remember a seriously long time!
It's where I put my glasses 5 minutes ago that I have problems with! ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 04:17:50 am by vk6zgo »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86919 on: March 31, 2021, 02:28:21 am »
Come to sunny Australia, we are having a little problem with a few spiders in a few areas 😂
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Whoooa, I thought this might be fake. Only to find out, it's apparently NOT...  :scared:

Stay safe "Down Under"!
https://phys.org/news/2021-03-australians-deadly-spider-plague.html

You really need to start worrying when the Spiders Eat the Crickets who in turn are eaten by the Lizards and because of the flooding the Bull Sharks eat the Lizards ....  :-DD

Should we mention the saltwater crocodiles....?

I was going to but it might have worried the rest of them :-DD

I'll stay here with the beavers and moose, thank you  ;D

Ever see what happens when a car and moose meet?  :o :o

Something like if a car & a large kangaroo meet!

Even better, up in the North of Oz, are free range bulls the size of a small car.
That's why the bars on the front of vehicles are called "Bull bars" North of the 26th Parallel.

The NT can even turn on the occasional water buffalo.

Still, other countries can do better----an old mate of mine nearly ran into an elephant in Malaysia!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86920 on: March 31, 2021, 03:09:52 am »
Not quite sure but I think people are trying to take the Piss out of @Med who has his baggy to take care of that, but he seems to be riding and Ass while the group is whipping its arse to see @Med fall on his  :o :-DD

Ok KiCad test. HATE the add footprints part maybe I will change my mind with more use. Workflow seems a little more garbled to Fusion/Eagle but maybe that is because the modules have a totally different look  :-// Not dismissing it and I will have another go with a proper job sometime and it is much improved.

Switch is an example of a fail. I selected a Tactile Switch of the correct size and I get a dip body. No I didn't check but ....  :-//

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:11:58 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #86921 on: March 31, 2021, 03:17:36 am »
This is a SONY-TEK small oscilloscope: 335. Bandwidth 35M, dual channel, A, B time base, 1mv/DIV-10V/DIV. Weight is 4.7kg. Small and cute, CRT brightness is not bad, no burn marks. The shell is slightly missing, and everything else is normal. I can't complain about it for 50 dollars to be delivered home.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:45:05 am by jxjbsd »
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86922 on: March 31, 2021, 03:48:51 am »

We aim to please. So you aim too, please.  >:D

mnem
You know what really burns my ass...?

...a fire aboot yay high...
:-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86923 on: March 31, 2021, 03:49:48 am »

You probably picked it up from Aussies & Kiwis! I has been "Arse" in Oz for as long as I can remember, & I can remember a seriously long time!

It's where I put my glasses 5 minutes ago that I have problems with! ;D

They're stuck on your arse.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:56:41 am by mnementh »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86924 on: March 31, 2021, 04:10:15 am »
Should we mention the saltwater crocodiles....?

Ok, wrong continet but besides that ...  :-DD

What the actual fuck...?

Is this some alien mind-game turn on that old "the dog and the butterfly" meme...? :o

mnem
*toddles off to count his scales, just on GP...*

It's a song for children. Some years ago, it was a big hit here in Germany (don't ask!) but first it was aired at "Die Sendung mit der Maus", I think.

Sometimes people are really strange ...

I was introduced to it along with a lot of other listeners by the morning announcer on radio station 6WF.

Some years before, another of his favourites was this one:-

He definitely knew his slightly geeky audience!
There was a mini-boom in " Hissing Sid is Innocent!" T-shirts, following this!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf