Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16864883 times)

Vince and 131 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86725 on: March 29, 2021, 11:46:54 am »
Yep Medical care is not to bad a slightly less dysfunctional version of the Pommie one in spite of us being a Commonwealth of States it works well :)

Mask free shopping today for the first time in over 12 months felt kind of weird but in a nice way and best of all plenty of TP on the shelves so we seem to be properly on top of most things after a sad hiccup late last year so at least there is one less thing. Two deaths since October. So good luck and better management to the rest of the rock we share :-+
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:49:15 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #86726 on: March 29, 2021, 11:53:12 am »
Come to sunny Australia, we are having a little problem with a few spiders in a few areas 😂
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Whoooa, I thought this might be fake. Only to find out, it's apparently NOT...  :scared:

Stay safe "Down Under"!
https://phys.org/news/2021-03-australians-deadly-spider-plague.html

You really need to start worrying when the Spiders Eat the Crickets who in turn are eaten by the Lizards and because of the flooding the Bull Sharks eat the Lizards ....  :-DD

Should we mention the saltwater crocodiles....?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86727 on: March 29, 2021, 11:53:55 am »
OS/2 Warp ..... geez, what a throw back.  It's been 25 years since anyone has even uttered that phrase within my hearing.

Nothing wrong with that... (runs fine in virtualbox)

I binned the 17+ install diskettes years ago. Maybe I should have held onto them?  ;D

Keep old install disks? What kind of loony would do that?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86728 on: March 29, 2021, 11:54:22 am »
Come to sunny Australia, we are having a little problem with a few spiders in a few areas 😂
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Whoooa, I thought this might be fake. Only to find out, it's apparently NOT...  :scared:

Stay safe "Down Under"!

You really need to start worrying when the Spiders Eat the Crickets who in turn are eaten by the Lizards and because of the flooding the Bull Sharks eat the Lizards ....  :-DD

I was going to but it might have worried the rest of them :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #86729 on: March 29, 2021, 12:01:23 pm »
Fair enough.   :-+

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86730 on: March 29, 2021, 12:07:27 pm »

Ok, wrong continet but besides that ...  :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86731 on: March 29, 2021, 12:37:52 pm »
OS/2 Warp ..... geez, what a throw back.  It's been 25 years since anyone has even uttered that phrase within my hearing.

I binned the 17+ install diskettes years ago. Maybe I should have held onto them?  ;D

They are those modern round ones. Where's the square ones?

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #86732 on: March 29, 2021, 12:39:56 pm »

Well done, you have now successfully stacked your 3468A  :-+ Plus in addition you have just shown the other thing that always pissed me of with my 3468A, it prefers to display resistances in as Mohms instead of Kohms  :palm:

A very temporary arrangement, while I was arranging the pics. It's fine if it only has 1 unit on top, but if it's near the bottom of the stack it could have 4 or 5, and the tilt would make a noticeable difference at that point. Also, until I can get a fuse-holder-socket for the current range, it's only partially functional.

It ranges up to MΩ at around 310kΩ which is above what some other meters flip ranges at. The Keithley 2000 ranges up at 120kΩ, the 197 at 220kΩ, TTi 1906 at 210kΩ. The Fluke 8840 goes all the way to 2000kΩ, but does range up from ***.***kΩ to ***.**kΩ at 200 counts. Amusingly, the Solartron 7075 doesn't have a MΩ range, topping out 14,000.000kΩ.
Looking back through these (empirically acquired) data it actually seems the 3468 has the highest count before it ranges up... you guys will find anything to complain about!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86733 on: March 29, 2021, 12:58:48 pm »
I was thinking in terms of an unlabeled PSU connected to whatever bits on the bench; as most semi-informed people would normally expect such a PSU to output +12V and +5V...

much hilarity ensues... :o

mnem
smoke 'em if you got 'em... >:D

Strikes me as possibly being a good supply to base one of those Chinesium regulator projects around.

I just ordered a single one, brand new for £20 shipped. The 52V output is ideal to feed the SynCor 0-60V 20A output DC-DC converter I picked up a while back. Plan is to stuck it under the bench and then have the DC-DC and a couple of meters in a small box on the bench. The converter even has variable current limit. I'll get 0-60V @ 850W  from what looks ike a box hardly big enough for the meters and controls.
Trying to decide if I'll try to hack the connections or splash out another £20 or so on a rack. I'll probably spend the money.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-341-0232-Power-Supply-C3K-PWR-1150WAC-DPST-1150AB-PSU/154356234065   
https://www.synqor.com/products/hvnq/nq60x60qgx20

I pulled the trigger on a Dual slot housing for the 1150W C3K PSU. As a bonus it comes wth a 750W PSU ready installed for £20 delivered. It should help with figuring out the connection and give me mating connectors too.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Systems-PWR-RPS2300-Redundant-power-supply/114736484281

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86734 on: March 29, 2021, 01:05:58 pm »

They are those modern round ones. Where's the square ones?

McBryce.
Those are retangular. There are proper square ones that are actually floppy in that bin. I've even got some 8" ones.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86735 on: March 29, 2021, 01:49:15 pm »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Stay safe "Down Under"!

I'll stay here with the beavers and moose, thank you  ;D

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86736 on: March 29, 2021, 02:01:17 pm »

Ok, wrong continet but besides that ...  :-DD

I r disappointed. I thought the little croc was going to catch the fly, grow up, and eat the people.  :-- ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86737 on: March 29, 2021, 02:05:45 pm »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Stay safe "Down Under"!

Ever see what happens when a car and moose meet?  :o :o

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86738 on: March 29, 2021, 02:07:26 pm »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Stay safe "Down Under"!

ahh yes, you need to avoid them on the highway  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86739 on: March 29, 2021, 02:07:48 pm »
Bullwinkle was jaywalking. That’s what you get  :-DD

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86740 on: March 29, 2021, 02:33:26 pm »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #86741 on: March 29, 2021, 03:07:01 pm »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Stay safe "Down Under"!

ahh yes, you need to avoid them on the highway  :-DD

I was 2s behind the car in front at 50mph, when a fallow deer ran in front of me.

Small muntjac deer are also in the centres of major cities, e.g.

The former was in a "high rent" area, the latter in a very "low rent" area. If caught in either it might have been butchered, although for very different motivations!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86742 on: March 29, 2021, 03:40:31 pm »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Stay safe "Down Under"!

tastes like chicken.

similar to Spaghetti Carbonara á la Skippy

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86743 on: March 29, 2021, 04:16:55 pm »
Oh, piss off. It is not constant.  :palm:  I'm not sorry if you don't like the mirror I occasionally put up to the whole concept of "American Exceptionalism".  ::)

I remember when I first heard of the whole idea that people would actually pump gas and drive off without paying... I was a teenager and I was aghast. Theft is theft. 3 decades later, and up here it has just now gotten bad enough to actually be a problem. People have started locking their doors too and not just in the city, which in case you didn't know, is also a recent development up here, even tho it was how I grew up in the country. Locked doors were just not neighborly. 

mnem
 :popcorn:
No, I won't piss off.  You rarely if ever have anything good to say about the US, and instead seem to delight in putting it down and being holier than thou.  It's predictable with you, and tiring.  Someone mentions thieves and you jump on it as an opportunity to bad mouth and blame the US for something happening in Canada.  Do you have any kind of actual data to back up your "Guess all those 'merican punkass kids are bringing their "it's only bad if you get caught" fuckhead culture up here with them" statement, or did you just pull it out of your ass to let you say something negative about the country?  The US isn't perfect, but there seem to be a whole hell of a lot more people from all over the world who want to come here than who want to leave, so we must be doing something right.

-Pat
Newsflash Pat... It's not all about you. Your righteous self-indignation is entirely misplaced, and nobody needs the rancor.

The completely disproportionate level of aggression and vitriolic nature of your response; the inherent assumption that I was attacking America displayed here is literally the definition of the term "ugly American". 

And as is often the case, it is clearly because you don't like the mirror it represents. Well, tough.

Just to make it clear: There was no attack intended in the comment which started all this. What I said was an honest understanding of the fact that something precious had been lost here. And the apology was honest, and heartfelt, because I was part of that punkass culture, and did nothing to stop it from taking over most of the civilized world.  :-\

Be offended by that all you like, Pat. Your response was childish and completely disproportionate to any insult that could have been made by my words. Even if it weren't directed at me, I'd think you were an over-reacting a-hole. And if I were still modding in Dominion chat, it would be you that I'd be telling to tone it down.

And yes, I understand the irony here, particularly in light of my recent blowup with Ian. That's the difference: I do try to learn from my mistakes. :palm:

As for "everybody wanting to move to the US"... you are so very wrong. That may have been true decades ago; but not now. I am not "the weirdo moving to Canada"; I one of millions. There are so many people wanting to get away from the crazy down there that they had to close down immigration altogether; why do you think we've had such a hard time making it happen? It's not because we're rotten people... it's because we are American.

Look up "American Exceptionalism" and read some of the actual sensible discussion (ie, not bloviation and trolling on reddit) and you may understand. But I doubt it.

I know. I'll come up to Canada and piss in his Wheaties. But only occasionally>:D

Please do. I would welcome the interaction. We may not always see eye to eye, but we have always been able to come to an understanding.

And I'll eat those cornflakes if that's what it takes to prove I'm serious. ;)

mnem
I grew up on the farm. I've eaten worse. :-//
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:17:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86744 on: March 29, 2021, 04:38:57 pm »
I liked it as well. The reference to the Griffin is it was two things stuck together that shouldn't have been  :-DD. PS/2 kit was also nuclear bomb proof. I had a couple of PS/2's doing test stuff running NT 3.51 back in the day.

*raises paw sheepishly* I liked it too. It just plain worked.  :-//

NT took a lot more tickling its nutsack, but for the most part it did too... as long as you didn't ask it to move too fast. :-DD

mnem
"...All with a computer that had 32 kilobytes of RAM! It was good enough to go to the moon, it was good enough for you!  It was a golden time. A time before Windows, a time before mouses, a time before the internet and bloatware, and a time... before every OS sucked..." ~Wes Borg
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:03:27 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #86745 on: March 29, 2021, 04:41:37 pm »

As for freeBSD quality control:
https://blog.fefe.de/?ts=9ea14136  (sorry, it's in German but mansaxel will understand it.  :) )

Yes, I am familiar, and no, I do not run such new code ;-) For reasons.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86746 on: March 29, 2021, 04:43:29 pm »
Apparently I am Linus where I work  :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86747 on: March 29, 2021, 04:43:40 pm »
Of course the IBM Microchannel was a PITA because IBM was being a real arse hole about licensing it ....

It was early days in PC development when I first heard about microchannel.  Seemed a promising technology - but its introduction to the industry was crap for very short-sighted reasons, effectively making it proprietary and, thus, condemned to a futureless existence.

I remember it being deliberately proprietary, and the industry deliberately staying away in droves. Until they poached the important concepts and rolled them up into PCI/PCIe...  :-//

Didn't feel a damned bit sorry for IBM, either. :P

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86748 on: March 29, 2021, 04:47:06 pm »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Stay safe "Down Under"!

Welll fuuuuuuuu....  :o

mnem
Okay, bean, you win. :-DD
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:49:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86749 on: March 29, 2021, 05:06:14 pm »
Come to sunny Australia, we are having a little problem with a few spiders in a few areas 😂Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Stay safe "Down Under"! https://phys.org/news/2021-03-australians-deadly-spider-plague.html
Just further proof that everything alive in OZ will kill you. :palm:

sorry for the video quality... it was the only clip I could find that was just the scene and not some infantile remix... :palm:

mnem
"... it is my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf