Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16864720 times)

Vince and 161 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86700 on: March 29, 2021, 07:09:14 am »
OS/2 Warp ..... geez, what a throw back.  It's been 25 years since anyone has even uttered that phrase within my hearing.

Tell me about it.  I found myself bringing it up back in December when I was trying to explain to some kids what the world was like in 1995 to give some context to something that happened then that we were talking about.

Although bd thinks OS/2 Warp sucks I liked it. Had a PS/2 MOD 80 with a 486 processor and it was practically crash proof. And it had the decent Win3.1 Emulator. Yes, took nearly 3-4 minutes to cold boot but once booted had good performance.

Of course the IBM Microchannel was a PITA because IBM was being a real arse hole about licensing it so it took a lot of searching to find an external CD drive or even a sound card.   :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86701 on: March 29, 2021, 07:13:19 am »
I liked it as well. The reference to the Griffin is it was two things stuck together that shouldn't have been  :-DD. PS/2 kit was also nuclear bomb proof. I had a couple of PS/2's doing test stuff running NT 3.51 back in the day.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86702 on: March 29, 2021, 07:14:08 am »
All computers suck. Some less than others.

Spock agrees.

"Kirk wonders if he could build a computer aid using contemporary materials, but, Spock is dubious as to its success."

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_City_on_the_Edge_of_Forever_(episode)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86703 on: March 29, 2021, 07:27:10 am »

So... which of you psychos wants to fuck the tinkerdwagon's brain up with your favorite distro, and why should I let you...?  >:D

The talk of "distribution" and such penguiny terms implies to the listener that there only is a selection between variants of Linux to be considered.

IMNSHO Linux is a toy compared to the BSD variants.

The UNIX userland in OS X is mostly based on FreeBSD userland. I'm running FreeBSD on metal and on most of my vm's (and I mix toys into that, frequently, so am not religious, just aware of the facts.) and it is a very consistent and high quality experience.  It does get my vote, but the others (NetBSD, OpenBSD) aren't bad either. (Open also is Canadian; Theo lives in Calgary.. )

If you decide to stoop so low that installing Linux (arguably better than Windows, somewhat.) is considered, the worst you can do is pure Lennartware like any of the DeadRat derivates or Ubuntu, also known as Debian/broken.

The least broken Linux is either SlackWare or Devuan. I've not run Slack for more than 15 years, and I installed Debian before their developers "decided" to use systemd. Now the reasonable model of apt-based packaging together with a working init that is only an init, makes Devuan least bad of all the Linuxen.

As for freeBSD quality control:
https://blog.fefe.de/?ts=9ea14136  (sorry, it's in German but mansaxel will understand it.  :) )
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86704 on: March 29, 2021, 07:38:40 am »

I second that. I would like to have had the opportunity to start a new life in the off world colonies. A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Honestly, apart from Los Angeles I quite liked it there.
[/quote]

Well my annual leave has just gone up to 28 days (+7 public holidays), I get paid sick leave (at least 3 months full pay with my employer) and state medical care. I think the grass is greener over here. SWMBO is American and does not want to go back. For starters she has a weekly injection of Adalimumab (Humira) that costs $3500 in the USA (per injection). Even with insurance the out of pocket costs in the USA could be thousands per month.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86705 on: March 29, 2021, 07:55:43 am »
West Coast USA and a cool look  8) BIN for $99.99 USD + frt eBay auction: #254892342719

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: THDplusN_bad, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86706 on: March 29, 2021, 07:57:52 am »
Reality is what it is inside your head, but since the insides are different in every head, well ...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #86707 on: March 29, 2021, 08:05:06 am »
Oh, piss off. It is not constant.  :palm:  I'm not sorry if you don't like the mirror I occasionally put up to the whole concept of "American Exceptionalism".  ::)

I remember when I first heard of the whole idea that people would actually pump gas and drive off without paying... I was a teenager and I was aghast. Theft is theft. 3 decades later, and up here it has just now gotten bad enough to actually be a problem. People have started locking their doors too and not just in the city, which in case you didn't know, is also a recent development up here, even tho it was how I grew up in the country. Locked doors were just not neighborly. 

mnem
 :popcorn:

No, I won't piss off.  You rarely if ever have anything good to say about the US, and instead seem to delight in putting it down and being holier than thou.  It's predictable with you, and tiring.  Someone mentions thieves and you jump on it as an opportunity to bad mouth and blame the US for something happening in Canada.  Do you have any kind of actual data to back up your "Guess all those 'merican punkass kids are bringing their "it's only bad if you get caught" fuckhead culture up here with them" statement, or did you just pull it out of your ass to let you say something negative about the country?  The US isn't perfect, but there seem to be a whole hell of a lot more people from all over the world who want to come here than who want to leave, so we must be doing something right.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86708 on: March 29, 2021, 08:09:37 am »
Well here it is another day and I haven't pissed on my slippers. Guess I'm housebroken again and it's gonna be a good day. Gonna finish cleaning up the interior of the Type 547 and I'll post the results.

But I am calling the urologist and find out when I can get this damn cat out.  ::)   

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86709 on: March 29, 2021, 08:17:57 am »
Oh, piss off. It is not constant.  :palm:  I'm not sorry if you don't like the mirror I occasionally put up to the whole concept of "American Exceptionalism".  ::)

I remember when I first heard of the whole idea that people would actually pump gas and drive off without paying... I was a teenager and I was aghast. Theft is theft. 3 decades later, and up here it has just now gotten bad enough to actually be a problem. People have started locking their doors too and not just in the city, which in case you didn't know, is also a recent development up here, even tho it was how I grew up in the country. Locked doors were just not neighborly. 

mnem

No, I won't piss off.  You rarely if ever have anything good to say about the US, and instead seem to delight in putting it down and being holier than thou.  It's predictable with you, and tiring.  Someone mentions thieves and you jump on it as an opportunity to bad mouth and blame the US for something happening in Canada.  Do you have any kind of actual data to back up your "Guess all those 'merican punkass kids are bringing their "it's only bad if you get caught" fuckhead culture up here with them" statement, or did you just pull it out of your ass to let you say something negative about the country?  The US isn't perfect, but there seem to be a whole hell of a lot more people from all over the world who want to come here than who want to leave, so we must be doing something right.

-Pat

I know. I'll come up to Canada and piss in his Wheaties. But only occasionally>:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86710 on: March 29, 2021, 08:48:51 am »

I think Unix is a vile pile of hippy turds but it’s the least painful thing so far. We could do better as a species but we’re still in the primitive early days of the industry. A few people had the right idea along the lines but it wasn’t sexy enough to market very well. I mean a Symbolics XBox One is where we really needed to go. Alas a game pad with ( and ) on it instead of X and O isn’t at all sexy.

OS/2 warp was a drunk griffin.
Bbuuuuutttttt this is an Apple!!!
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86711 on: March 29, 2021, 08:54:31 am »

I think Unix is a vile pile of hippy turds but it’s the least painful thing so far. We could do better as a species but we’re still in the primitive early days of the industry. A few people had the right idea along the lines but it wasn’t sexy enough to market very well. I mean a Symbolics XBox One is where we really needed to go. Alas a game pad with ( and ) on it instead of X and O isn’t at all sexy.

You mean, Apple is a butt?  ??? ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86712 on: March 29, 2021, 09:12:30 am »

You mean, Apple is a butt?  ??? ;D
Well not all their products, but their business model IMO sure does.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86713 on: March 29, 2021, 09:32:04 am »

mnem

-Pat

I know. I'll come up to Canada and piss in his Wheaties. But only occasionally>:D

Bonus of the cat, for now you don't have to travel, just send him a bag  >:D

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86714 on: March 29, 2021, 10:26:22 am »
OS/2 Warp ..... geez, what a throw back.  It's been 25 years since anyone has even uttered that phrase within my hearing.

Nothing wrong with that... (runs fine in virtualbox)

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #86715 on: March 29, 2021, 10:37:24 am »
Now my ears are ringing......   :scared:

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #86716 on: March 29, 2021, 10:41:41 am »
Come to sunny Australia, we are having a little problem with a few spiders in a few areas 😂
Fortunately NIMBY 😁
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #86717 on: March 29, 2021, 10:46:23 am »
Of course the IBM Microchannel was a PITA because IBM was being a real arse hole about licensing it ....

It was early days in PC development when I first heard about microchannel.  Seemed a promising technology - but its introduction to the industry was crap for very short-sighted reasons, effectively making it proprietary and, thus, condemned to a futureless existence.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86718 on: March 29, 2021, 11:20:30 am »

Nothing wrong with that... (runs fine in virtualbox)

I binned the 17+ install diskettes years ago. Maybe I should have held onto them?  ;D

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86719 on: March 29, 2021, 11:23:14 am »
Come to sunny Australia, we are having a little problem with a few spiders in a few areas 😂
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Only one solution. Fire. Burn the house down too.  :scared: :scared:

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86720 on: March 29, 2021, 11:23:36 am »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Whoooa, I thought this might be fake. Only to find out, it's apparently NOT...  :scared:

Stay safe "Down Under"!
https://phys.org/news/2021-03-australians-deadly-spider-plague.html

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86721 on: March 29, 2021, 11:24:17 am »
Got a nice beginner's "opamp hands on learning course", a HP6824 Power-Supply/Amplifier für 100 Euro.

Manual and even more apllication note 82 might be quite educating for me as a beginner.
https://www.hpmemoryproject.org/an/pdf/an_82.pdf

After some IPA cleaning of the sticky surfaces, It's in preety good shape and seems to be fully functioning.

Now I have to look for the missing top cover screw. Seems to be some kind of US self tapping screw. Same for a missing screw on the side.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, factory, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86722 on: March 29, 2021, 11:25:24 am »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Whoooa, I thought this might be fake. Only to find out, it's apparently NOT...  :scared:

Stay safe "Down Under"!

You really need to start worrying when the Spiders Eat the Crickets who in turn are eaten by the Lizards and because of the flooding the Bull Sharks eat the Lizards ....  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86723 on: March 29, 2021, 11:31:23 am »
Fortunately NIMBY 😁

Stay safe "Down Under"!

You really need to start worrying when the Spiders Eat the Crickets who in turn are eaten by the Lizards and because of the flooding the Bull Sharks eat the Lizards ....  :-DD

Just further proof that everything alive in OZ will kill you.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86724 on: March 29, 2021, 11:39:56 am »
Yeah. Go for the scenery, get bitten by the wildlife, stay for the medical care  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf