Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16872475 times)

Vgkid, Gerhard_dk4xp and 143 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86575 on: March 28, 2021, 09:25:50 am »
Been meaning to for a while - and finally got around to checking the battery on my 3478A:  3.046V 

I think I'm good for a while ... but the question is - for how long?

The discharge curve is sort of like a bomb falling out of the sky so I wouldn’t trust that at a high level.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86576 on: March 28, 2021, 09:50:56 am »
Got to say that the more I use my 8060A the more it becomes my favourite meter. Firstly I needed to measure some high resistances. 3478A tops out at 30M. 8060A has conductance (reciprocal) mode which goes right up to 300M (!). Secondly the reason I’m testing these resistors is I need to knock up an HT probe to cal the HV on this D755. Well that turns out to be quite difficult with the newer auto rangers as the impedance isn’t consistent across all ranges meaning you have to apply a correction for some ranges. 8060A, not so - it’s consistent.

Unfortunately it turns out this collection of HV resistors is absolutely bloody useless for what I needed them for so I’m going to have to order some VR37’s to make up a divider probe  >:(. Might do a proper one this time and pot it.

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #86577 on: March 28, 2021, 09:58:07 am »
Here's some more eBay picks:

Think of the amount of magic smoke you could release with these bd:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Cisco-1150W-Power-Supplies-MPN-C3K-PWR-1150WAC-V01/294083750918

I have 3 PSU with 1kW output each, 5V/150A, 5V/15A, 2V/15A, 12V/5A. Power Factor Unifier Super-MITE-A. If anyone is interested to smoke up with these, drop me a note :) Shipping however will only be reasonable in Europe.

I have a few 10kW power supplies. If anyone needs a few, let me know  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86578 on: March 28, 2021, 10:12:08 am »
Since the subject of fuel prices came up I got a few rants about gas stations on this side of the pond.

First, the stupid tradition of charging nine-tenths of cent additional per gallon. I would love to hand a clerk nine-tenths of a penny. I think this stupidity started in the 1920's where gas stations got so cutthroat on competition that some advertised that their gas price was something like three-tenths of a cent less than the guy down the street. I think it's time to end the madness. Go to even penny pricing.   

2nd, many stations charge 5 cents extra if you use your debit/credit card. They claim it makes up for the charge back from the CC companies. I call  :bullshit: :bullshit: In many states the practice is illegal. NYS has not gotten the memo and almost all gas stations do it.

Oh and....in New Jersey it is ILLEGAL to pump your own fuel. An attendant has to do it for you. And these guys are not the particularly fleet on their feet and many barely speak English.   ::)     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86579 on: March 28, 2021, 10:15:55 am »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Cisco-1150W-Power-Supplies-MPN-C3K-PWR-1150WAC-V01/294083750918

I have 3 PSU with 1kW output each, 5V/150A, 5V/15A, 2V/15A, 12V/5A. Power Factor Unifier Super-MITE-A. If anyone is interested to smoke up with these, drop me a note :) Shipping however will only be reasonable in Europe.

hmmmm. I have some ideas ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86580 on: March 28, 2021, 10:23:31 am »
Oh and....in New Jersey it is ILLEGAL to pump your own fuel. An attendant has to do it for you. And these guys are not the particularly fleet on their feet and many barely speak English.   ::)     

What the fuck? Are people that stupid. There are no places in the UK where they will pump your fuel  :-DD

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86581 on: March 28, 2021, 10:23:48 am »
All yooz peoples I was annoying with my open mic in the Discord while providing tech support for my dad should know it went well once the iPad charged up; I did have the iPad correctly pre-configured for his WiFi, and my dad successfully FaceTimed with us from the comfort of his living room! w00t!

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Greetings from me to your father. :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86582 on: March 28, 2021, 10:25:18 am »
Why is my slipper wet?  :wtf: I didn't fully tighten the drain valve on this leg attached urine bag and I just pissed on myself, the slipper, and the carpet.  |O |O I guess I'm not house trained anymore.  :-DD Monday morning I'm calling the urologist and finding out when I can get in there and get this shit removed.  :scared:

FML.  ::) ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, tonyalbus

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86583 on: March 28, 2021, 10:27:38 am »
Got to say that the more I use my 8060A the more it becomes my favourite meter. Firstly I needed to measure some high resistances. 3478A tops out at 30M. 8060A has conductance (reciprocal) mode which goes right up to 300M (!). Secondly the reason I’m testing these resistors is I need to knock up an HT probe to cal the HV on this D755. Well that turns out to be quite difficult with the newer auto rangers as the impedance isn’t consistent across all ranges meaning you have to apply a correction for some ranges. 8060A, not so - it’s consistent.

Unfortunately it turns out this collection of HV resistors is absolutely bloody useless for what I needed them for so I’m going to have to order some VR37’s to make up a divider probe  >:(. Might do a proper one this time and pot it.

How about these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402765552667

I can play parcel proxy ...
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86584 on: March 28, 2021, 10:28:20 am »

What the fuck? Are people that stupid. There are no places in the UK where they will pump your fuel  :-DD

NJ claims they have it in place for 2 reasons. First, for employment opportunities and believe it or not Senior Citizen's groups in NJ lobby to keep it in place. Too lazy or stupid to get out of their fucking cars.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86585 on: March 28, 2021, 10:30:59 am »

When I lived in South Africa all petrol stations had guys who filled the tank for you. It didn't seem to matter whether you told him to put 50 Rand in or fill the tank. He filled the tank no matter what you said. I was just eager to get out of the place because the majority of them stood around mere feet from your car with a cigarette in their mouth.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86586 on: March 28, 2021, 10:32:37 am »

How about these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402765552667

I can play parcel proxy ...

Gah too late. I just ordered 25x VR37 10M resistors from RS here.

Just designed this 100:1 probe which is good to 1%:

Need to find a suitable tube to stick it in. Only has to go to just over 2.5KV. This is not an anode tester  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86587 on: March 28, 2021, 10:34:23 am »
Why is my slipper wet?  :wtf: I didn't fully tighten the drain valve on this leg attached urine bag and I just pissed on myself, the slipper, and the carpet.  |O |O I guess I'm not house trained anymore.  :-DD Monday morning I'm calling the urologist and finding out when I can get in there and get this shit removed.  :scared:

It can be a lot worse - Colostomy Bag Issues. Yes we are Laughing at/with you because otherwise..... :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86588 on: March 28, 2021, 10:38:37 am »

Need to find a suitable tube to stick it in. Only has to go to just over 2.5KV. This is not an anode tester  :-DD

When I get this catheter removed I'll send you the pure silicone tubing. Will be perfect. You'll just have to clean it up a little.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86589 on: March 28, 2021, 10:40:29 am »

It can be a lot worse - Colostomy Bag Issues. Yes we are Laughing at/with you because otherwise..... :-DD

Had not thought of that scenario. You're right. I feel better already.  ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, beanflying

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86590 on: March 28, 2021, 11:05:58 am »
I feel with you, had a similar thing after some cancer surgery. They did it the nasty way though, they got to my bladder by puncturing my tummy.

being sick sucks. big time.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86591 on: March 28, 2021, 11:07:40 am »
re slow computer
was just wondering why my computer was that fucking slow.
Then I remembered that I still had a game of battletech running in the background ...
ffs ...
I am getting old.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86592 on: March 28, 2021, 11:13:19 am »

I was offered a 15kW supply for 99p on thursday. I declined. For strters I don't have a 3 phase supply at home to run it  :--

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86593 on: March 28, 2021, 11:40:55 am »
shipping would most likely have cost 2 arms, 2 legs and your reproductive organs ...

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #86594 on: March 28, 2021, 11:45:31 am »
How much did it weigh?

My own triple 60 watt linear XT supply (less than 1 mv ripple!) Sorenson weighs at least 50 lbs. it has a handle on the side and weighs as much as a small, very full suitcase. Wouldn't want to have to carry it traveling. Just carrying it upstairs is a PITA.

Those KW power supplies must weight several hundred LBs?  More than me!

I was offered a 15kW supply for 99p on thursday. I declined. For strters I don't have a 3 phase supply at home to run it  :--
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:47:19 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86595 on: March 28, 2021, 11:54:56 am »

Your Fluke 25 in conductance mode will go right upto 500M as well don't forget.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86596 on: March 28, 2021, 12:07:31 pm »
Since the subject of fuel prices came up I got a few rants about gas stations on this side of the pond.

First, the stupid tradition of charging nine-tenths of cent additional per gallon. I would love to hand a clerk nine-tenths of a penny. I think this stupidity started in the 1920's where gas stations got so cutthroat on competition that some advertised that their gas price was something like three-tenths of a cent less than the guy down the street. I think it's time to end the madness. Go to even penny pricing.   

2nd, many stations charge 5 cents extra if you use your debit/credit card. They claim it makes up for the charge back from the CC companies. I call  :bullshit: :bullshit: In many states the practice is illegal. NYS has not gotten the memo and almost all gas stations do it.

Yeah, we have the same stupid pricing over here, like 125.9p a litre, not to sure about the CC charge as I pay with a debit card or cash. Personally, I would have thought that they would welcome CC transactions as the money is transferred electronically to their account and is therefore far more secure than cash as it removes the chances of it being stolen by opportunist thieves cleaning the  till out, or something else like a fire for instance.  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86597 on: March 28, 2021, 12:19:12 pm »

Yeah, we have the same stupid pricing over here, like 125.9p a litre, not to sure about the CC charge as I pay with a debit card or cash. Personally, I would have thought that they would welcome CC transactions as the money is transferred electronically to their account and is therefore far more secure than cash as it removes the chances of it being stolen by opportunist thieves cleaning the  till out, or something else like a fire for instance.  :palm:

I always pay with a debit card too. But as soon as you indicate payment method of credit/debit the price on the pump automatically jumps 5 cents higher. So as far as I'm concerned it's a legal scam. The stations that do have this policy must post clearly the "cash" price and the "debit/credit" price. So at least you know ahead of time that you will be charged more if you don't pay cash. 

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86598 on: March 28, 2021, 12:20:37 pm »

Oh but there a few if you go into the real rural areas of the country you can come a few that will still pump it for you, you need to get out more  :-DD

I must admit that I find it rather uncomfortable having it done for me, after all, if it is a loan car for instance, you might only need to stick in £1 or maybe £2 of fuel before you return the car and your more inclined to say to the attendant, stick a fivers worth in it   :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86599 on: March 28, 2021, 12:24:20 pm »

If its cold or snowy outside, just don't go out then while you doing that, or you'll get chapped legs  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf