Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17716927 times)

vk6zgo and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86525 on: March 27, 2021, 06:55:09 pm »
Well I just got outbid on a 465B. I think I’m good on the “I’m not buying another 4xx scope again” comment  still :popcorn:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86526 on: March 27, 2021, 07:03:19 pm »
Well I just got outbid on a 465B. I think I’m good on the “I’m not buying another 4xx scope again” comment  still :popcorn:
But for how long ?
Really, do you actually need the frustration ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86527 on: March 27, 2021, 07:06:21 pm »
I deal with kubernetes at work. 465 is walk in the park  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86528 on: March 27, 2021, 07:08:20 pm »
Yeah it's cisco though which is definitely telecoms which says "there be dragons" usually. 48V everywhere. Or slightly more.

It'd run one of those 48V BT Weller soldering irons nicely though that were all over ebay a few years back.

It's for the PoE. And the amount of gear running off -48 but converting it +5 TTL and lower levels without massive EMI is proof that the chinesium SMPS we're hating are most often found in the "light" versions..

I once spent three days with a pair of PSU designers from Delta; we were investigating PSU failures in Cisco gear. Instructive. I was way too clueless to ask the right questions but I made sure to learn as much as I could about their proposed solution to our problem; more mains transient protection.

Dillon Aeros run on 48V ...

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86529 on: March 27, 2021, 07:24:01 pm »

It was the other bidder who decided that you didn't buy it, not your inner willpower (or lack of it).  :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86530 on: March 27, 2021, 07:36:23 pm »
My inner Ferengi thought it was too much latinum to go higher I think  :-DD

Just noticed good old Tim is back!

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta, Mortymore, factory, Peter_O

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86531 on: March 27, 2021, 08:02:09 pm »
gasoline is at about 7$ per gallon over here after the last tax hikes.
Intended to go up to 20$ per gallon if the green party wins ...

It's a similar price here, with around 2/3 of the price being tax in one form or another.

$6.74 USD per Gallon at the local Tesco here, over $7.50 at motorway services. (using current exchange rates and US gallon not imperial)

Yea, I realize I'm preaching to the choir concerning gas prices here vs the EU and UK. When I got my license in 1970 gas was about .28 USD/gallon. Everyone went nuts at the first fuel crisis in 1973 when it went to .50 USD/gallon. And when it hit $1.00 USD/gallon the world was going to end.  ::)

The real tragedy was beer going from 23p a pint the year before I started university to £1.50 a decade later. One pound fifty went from the price of a good evening out (six pints and a bag of chips on the way home) to the price of a single pint, criminal!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86532 on: March 27, 2021, 08:15:42 pm »

The scariest stuff I have in the lab is Ethyl Acetate. It works on PLA like an acetone works on ABS (smooths / blends the surface etc) but it's definitely not something you want to get in your lungs or on your skin. I only use it outside with a mask and gloves. I'm not a chemist, so I treat it like it would kill me - Less knowledge = more precaution.

McBryce.

Nothing scary about ethyl acetate, its used as a food flavouring. A rather crude one, but the fruits it's used to simulate (pears and bananas mostly) contain it naturally. For the the Brits who are old enough to have eaten them, pear drops are sugar, malic or citric acid, and ethyl acetate.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86533 on: March 27, 2021, 08:20:18 pm »
don't inhale, don't get it on your skin. Small quantities = blindness, large quantities, well ...
Yes, you have to be more careful with it than with IPA. The flip side is that it does a better job prepping a print surface than crappy diluted IPA which is often all you can get under COVID restrictions. |O

I expect anyone in here to read the label, FFS. :palm: But for those playing along at home, yes it is DANGEROUS. More toxic than IPA, and similarly flammable.

The jug warns aboot blindness/poisoning if ingested; this includes inhalation of vapor. If handled with care approximately as dangerous as pure IPA. I've bought from several different brands and all say the same thing.

It will burn the skin if left in direct contact; IPA usually will not. Direct contact with mucous membranes can allow absorption directly into the bloodstream, and sufficient contact area with skin will as well.

Lethal/blindness volume as little as 10ml if ingested. DO NOT DRINK THIS SHIT. DO NOT INHALE CONCENTRATED VAPORS.

mnem
 :horse:

Hmm, why is that I can't stop thinking that after an accident that people would wish that they'd stayed with diluted IPA and just used a little more muscle etc? Some things are really only intended for use in highly specified and controlled environments like fume extraction cabinets with protective gloves, splash protection for eyes etc and then still having all the other safety equipment and personnel to hand in case the unexpected should happen  :palm: :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86534 on: March 27, 2021, 08:25:01 pm »
UK now got a lot less interesting for shipping right now..

Dont worry, they said, Brexit will make no impact in the splendid economic future of the Empire! In fact, they continued, the world's countries will come begging at our court for us to bestow them with fair trade deals.

Or something.
Yeah, and they lied about other things as well  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86535 on: March 27, 2021, 08:29:04 pm »
Side issue @Pat speaking of old connectors any luck or decision on the 740B replacements? I haven't really found a 1kV rated plug and socket I like as an alternate yet  :-//

There is half a rocking horse turd on ePay France at the moment if it's any use, maybe worth asking if they have the other to go with it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284233477471

David

The $325 AUD freight bill along with the $135 buy price is a little OTT :palm: Unfortunately the input box while it shares the same unobtanium connector shell as the output one it contains less pins so they cant be modded easily into the other side box/cable :-\ Not aware of anyone needing one having a quick search here and in my 740B thread.

325 Aussie Pesos to ship it?!?   :wtf:  It weighs 8 oz (225g) and I can literally hold one in my hand!  That's insane!  I'd think you should be able to ship the whole damned 740B for that kind of money!

-Pat

Are the connectors really unobtanium or just really expensive & only available in silly quantities?

As for the ePay listing, the sellers items have make offer and with a bit of communication I'm sure a more sensible shipping price could be agreed on. Of course it's not the one you need so a bit pointless.

This is a frequent problem with small/light items in the USA where sellers use USPS for shipping & only give the Priority option for international, which doesn't have a price rate below 1lb. Usually they will add First Class international if you ask.

David

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #86536 on: March 27, 2021, 08:34:56 pm »

I've got an, ahem, "cosmetically good" 465b that I'm never going to get around to looking at. I'll let it escape go for a low price.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86537 on: March 27, 2021, 08:37:25 pm »
That is purely temporary, you will fall of the wagon thats a dead cert.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86538 on: March 27, 2021, 08:38:07 pm »

I've got an, ahem, "cosmetically good" 465b that I'm never going to get around to looking at. I'll let it escape go for a low price.

Let me mull on that for a couple of days. I'm still trying to decide if it was fortune or misfortune that I didn't end up with one  :-DD

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86539 on: March 27, 2021, 08:39:34 pm »
eBay auction: #193997883829 looks very suspicious, right?
He is a bit aggressive in his conditions, and he has no feedback, so it could a bit dodgy. But if you get it cheap enough, might be worth a punt because you still have the eBay guarantee to protect you against it being fraudulent.

I don't think the ePay guarantee is worth the zeros & ones it's coded from, if you pay by a non-ePay controlled method such as bank transfer, which is a method commonly used in the EU (no Paypal requirements for their listings). Wonder if it will stay the same once ePay starts handling payments again?
The only way for that listing would be paying on collection and walking away if it's no good.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86540 on: March 27, 2021, 08:40:43 pm »

Let me mull on that for a couple of days. I'm still trying to decide if it was fortune or misfortune that I didn't end up with one  :-DD

Don't worry there is something Heathkit on there you may prefer instead.  :-+

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86541 on: March 27, 2021, 08:41:21 pm »
It's already on the watchlist  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86542 on: March 27, 2021, 08:45:35 pm »
gasoline is at about 7$ per gallon over here after the last tax hikes.
Intended to go up to 20$ per gallon if the green party wins ...

It's a similar price here, with around 2/3 of the price being tax in one form or another.

$6.74 USD per Gallon at the local Tesco here, over $7.50 at motorway services. (using current exchange rates and US gallon not imperial)

Yea, I realize I'm preaching to the choir concerning gas prices here vs the EU and UK. When I got my license in 1970 gas was about .28 USD/gallon. Everyone went nuts at the first fuel crisis in 1973 when it went to .50 USD/gallon. And when it hit $1.00 USD/gallon the world was going to end.  ::)

The real tragedy was beer going from 23p a pint the year before I started university to £1.50 a decade later. One pound fifty went from the price of a good evening out (six pints and a bag of chips on the way home) to the price of a single pint, criminal!
I remember when I got my first car, I could buy exactly 3 imperial gallons for £1, now I cannot even buy 1 litre for £1  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86543 on: March 27, 2021, 08:50:56 pm »
 :phew:
Nice box :-+
I have a HP16058A fixture that was modified by it's previous owner, with some of the inserts. Back from when I did not know that the K2636 had Keithley-specific toleranced triaxial jacks, so that only the plugs you buy on their cables fit :palm: and dreamed of making my own triax connection cables.
When I bought the fixture on "offer a price" it was good, at least taking into account the additional triaxial jacks mounted to the modification. Little did I know...
Edit: looking at epay, the prices for these seem to have gone up. Feel a little better now having bought mine ~4 years ago :palm:
Just to rub it in, I could not even begin to think of using this until now...

Good day,

yes, these Triaxial leads and connectors are surely nice and they have their advantages in low-current-sensing and RF-sensitive applications.
But they are just a pain for those who do not need these benefits... Even the adapters are truly expensive. :o

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Is this one of the Triaxial BNC's that the matching leads are really expensive, or something easier to obtain?
It's on the back of the only item of Keithley TEA I have a 455 picoammeter, it went into storage yesterday along with the pair of Solartron voltmeters I haven't got leads for yet.

David

I may have such a connector in stock

I'm in no rush for one*, but would be interested in a connector to fit it.  :-+
And I did find the connector I had, which was no use as it's another different looking version of what is fitted.

*my available TEA time will be severely restricted once I'm back at work on the 1st of April, when shielding ends.

David

I have a single hole panel mount 3 lug triax socket  available. do you have the matching plug?

I haven't got any triaxial plugs/leads, which is why I asked about the matching connector to fit the panel socket on the above Keithley (I'd prefer not to change it). For some unknown reason I thought I had one, but it turned out to be another variant of panel connector.
I'm not in any rush as I said before, there is more TEA here awaiting repair than I have available time and the pile just keeps getting bigger.

David

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #86544 on: March 27, 2021, 09:02:48 pm »
I not only remembered I have parts, but I was even able to find them. What's next, them actually working?
It turns out I didn't need level shifters in the first place.   :-DD

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86545 on: March 27, 2021, 09:24:09 pm »
Another meter page...

This one cleaned up quite nicely relative to how it arrived.

snip...

Gallery link: https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-3460B-Digital-Voltmeter

-Pat

Bit late for me to add mine, page 3460 had been & gone while I was out helping clear rusty junk and remove dodgy shed wiring at a relatives place.
You'll have to make do with these that were collected on the way.  ;)

Total spend £27.60

David

P.S. Under the sheet in the background is a lathe that was moved the previous weekend, unfortunately it needs a fair bit of work along with the mill/drill that we moved at the same time.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #86546 on: March 27, 2021, 09:25:08 pm »
Last week i tested that TES200 IC_Tester

I was told to test the (eprom programmer) TL866II Plus, so i did :)   
which can also test IC's and a lot more... and oyeah can programm eproms too :)

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #86547 on: March 27, 2021, 09:27:16 pm »
Discord is running, and in the usual random directions
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86548 on: March 27, 2021, 09:48:54 pm »
Here's some more eBay picks:

Think of the amount of magic smoke you could release with these bd:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Cisco-1150W-Power-Supplies-MPN-C3K-PWR-1150WAC-V01/294083750918

I have 3 PSU with 1kW output each, 5V/150A, 5V/15A, 2V/15A, 12V/5A. Power Factor Unifier Super-MITE-A. If anyone is interested to smoke up with these, drop me a note :) Shipping however will only be reasonable in Europe.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #86549 on: March 27, 2021, 10:01:03 pm »
Thanks for the offer...
I have 3 of those from COULD.. 5V 100A .. i put 3 of them in series...and turned the voltage down, so they have 13.8 in total.
i used that in my crazy CB days... could not trow them.. have them still.
needed to put timers in between, to switch them on.. 1 sec in between..
every time i switch them on.. the lights in my rooms went down 3 times in a row quickly  :palm:  (if no timer.. the fues blow)
Big caps inside..
Cool.. nice offer...
i need to pass, but man... its some cool stuff. :-+
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:03:43 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf