Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16875959 times)

colorburst, wkb and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86475 on: March 27, 2021, 01:01:00 pm »
Agreed. Can recommend this for cleaning the glass beds: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/electronics-cleaners/0567890/

Levelled mine with A4 80gsm paper.

As for printing, I printed rafts on anything tall and brims on anything wide. Otherwise when the thing gets to about 3-4” tall it wiggles and rocks leading to dimensional accuracy issues, rounding and failed prints. Otherwise I used all defaults in Cura and no hair spray or adhesives. Clean bed works better than a shit covered one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:03:50 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86476 on: March 27, 2021, 01:04:52 pm »
China fun. These were only dispatched on Monday which was quite impressive. So £7.62 including delivery from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254721451632

Much like the previous Bliley ones I ordered, the band saw is cheaper than desoldering them. I love how they blasted straight through the unfortunate ICs at the bottom.

Will desolder and test later. Fingers crossed!

Edit: minor rant. Stuff from China is taking 4-6 days at the moment. Stuff from EU, 2-3 weeks and 50% of it doesn't turn up  >:( >:( >:(

:-+ :-+  Yes that is good fun!
great test for the de-solder too.

If you need some specs on the connections ... i did that a few months ago and collected information and created some sheets, in the description for download.
it was a while back so the video and audio not that good, but the downloads are there..

Didn’t even see that one of your videos.  :palm:. Added to play list today. Many thanks  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86477 on: March 27, 2021, 01:09:03 pm »
Wouah ... things are getting expensive in UK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigol-DS1054Z-4-Channel-50MHz-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope/143260735421

Anybody want a nice Rigol DS1054Z at 1000$US  :o

Sounds as bad as lumber prices in the GWN.  I need to replace a deck where the wood is rotting.  I am guessing the pre-COVID price was $1500.  Last year hit $3500 with people staying home and making improvements, driving up the demand just as the supply chain suffered.  I mistakenly held off assuming everyone else would be done their decks last year.  Current price is $5000.
Instead I think I found a local guy with cedar and a portable sawmill.  Hopefully I can save some money dealing with him.  SWMBO will probably get jealous at how much time I will spend with the surface planer this year...

Even my lumber of choice.....twisted, warped, knotty #2 one inch pine boards have gone nuts in price.  :scared:

I was in the Home Despot the other day and noticed that 4 x 8' sheets of OSB floor underlayment were priced at about $50/ea.  That's nuts!

-Pat
Thats one of the effects of Covid-19, not much is leaving the lumberyards etc due to lockdowns so everything has gone up.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86478 on: March 27, 2021, 01:18:39 pm »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigol-DS1054Z-4-Channel-50MHz-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope/143260735421

Sounds as bad as lumber prices in the GWN.  I need to replace a deck where the wood is rotting.  I am guessing the pre-COVID price was $1500.  Last year hit $3500 with people staying home and making improvements, driving up the demand just as the supply chain suffered.  I mistakenly held off assuming everyone else would be done their decks last year.  Current price is $5000.
Instead I think I found a local guy with cedar and a portable sawmill.  Hopefully I can save some money dealing with him.  SWMBO will probably get jealous at how much time I will spend with the surface planer this year...

Even my lumber of choice.....twisted, warped, knotty #2 one inch pine boards have gone nuts in price.  :scared:

I was in the Home Despot the other day and noticed that 4 x 8' sheets of OSB floor underlayment were priced at about $50/ea.  That's nuts!

-Pat
Thats one of the effects of Covid-19, not much is leaving the lumberyards etc due to lockdowns so everything has gone up.

I'm not so sure that's the real reason. I suspect much of it is taking advantage of the situation under the guise of "lockdown". The reason? Stock of this stuff is good. You can hardly go into any store today and not trip over a huge stockpile of toilet paper or paper towels. The only thing I notice in my local grocery still in short supply is cleaning products. But other than that my local grocery seems fully stocked.

And there's no shortage of lumber either. Now maybe in the UK that's true but not here. 

Edit, and also for the first time in almost a year the price of gasoline in NYS is approaching $3.00 USD/gallon. It did get as cheap as just above $2.00 USD. Apparently the spec market sez people are gonna vacation this year.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:25:18 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #86479 on: March 27, 2021, 01:37:23 pm »
Just started printing 9 HP feet on a raft, fingers crossed. Raised the bed temp by 5% on the basis that the s/w is set up for the default metal one, and glass is thermally less conductive so might read high.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86480 on: March 27, 2021, 01:41:27 pm »
gasoline is at about 7$ per gallon over here after the last tax hikes.
Intended to go up to 20$ per gallon if the green party wins ...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86481 on: March 27, 2021, 01:42:37 pm »

-Pat

I'm not so sure that's the real reason. I suspect much of it is taking advantage of the situation under the guise of "lockdown". The reason? Stock of this stuff is good. You can hardly go into any store today and not trip over a huge stockpile of toilet paper or paper towels. The only thing I notice in my local grocery still in short supply is cleaning products. But other than that my local grocery seems fully stocked.

And there's no shortage of lumber either. Now maybe in the UK that's true but not here. 

Edit, and also for the first time in almost a year the price of gasoline in NYS is approaching $3.00 USD/gallon. It did get as cheap as just above $2.00 USD. Apparently the spec market sez people are gonna vacation this year.

I was told that everybody decided to renovate at the same time and its driving the demand up. At the same times I guess wood producer decided to not increase production and they are currently cashing in.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86482 on: March 27, 2021, 01:54:20 pm »

It's a similar price here, with around 2/3 of the price being tax in one form or another.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #86483 on: March 27, 2021, 02:09:14 pm »
Just watched this fascinating film about making a Tektronix ceramic CRT. I have and still use a 475.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86484 on: March 27, 2021, 02:16:41 pm »

It's a similar price here, with around 2/3 of the price being tax in one form or another.

$6.74 USD per Gallon at the local Tesco here, over $7.50 at motorway services. (using current exchange rates and US gallon not imperial)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86485 on: March 27, 2021, 02:30:02 pm »

$6.74 USD per Gallon at the local Tesco here, over $7.50 at motorway services. (using current exchange rates and US gallon not imperial)

Yea, I realize I'm preaching to the choir concerning gas prices here vs the EU and UK. When I got my license in 1970 gas was about .28 USD/gallon. Everyone went nuts at the first fuel crisis in 1973 when it went to .50 USD/gallon. And when it hit $1.00 USD/gallon the world was going to end.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #86486 on: March 27, 2021, 03:21:30 pm »

:popcorn:
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #86487 on: March 27, 2021, 03:27:38 pm »
Another meter page...

This one cleaned up quite nicely relative to how it arrived.

Gallery link: https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-3460B-Digital-Voltmeter

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86489 on: March 27, 2021, 03:35:42 pm »
Help a fellow Pommie out you lot in case you dont see it  :-+ https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-(uk)-hptekmisc-home-lab-clear-out/?topicseen

Playing with newish features on Fusion 360 Embossed Text and Knurls on Round Tapering surfaces using the |O Non needed knob just because it filled the learning and playing I wanted to do. Scotch bottle mental recovery commencing.....

Mmmm SG503. Yumm. Yumm as well on the P6019 & 5352A. All sane prices. :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86490 on: March 27, 2021, 03:48:42 pm »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86491 on: March 27, 2021, 03:50:31 pm »
I will certainly be overbid on that Keithley ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86492 on: March 27, 2021, 03:55:50 pm »
Yep bed height is important. Bed cleaning on mine is a hot wash with detergent and sponge (never scrape). Rinse well. Pure IPA as 70% has stuff that will make it not stick well at all. Most 70% has smelly oils and other such crap if it is Chemist sourced. So 99-100% only.

Run a 10mm Brim on the feet and 5C higher for the first 1-3 layers if your slicer allows helps the initial stick.

If pure IPA is hard to find, look at the hardware store for methyl hydrate. It is usually 99.9% pure; it is used as fuel and gasoline drier in the winter. Works very well, but it will dry out your skin and make it crack very quickly; even my tough old dragon hide. If you get a lot on you, wash it off immediately and grab the hand cream afterwards.

Always use on fresh folded paper towel; the lint from paper towels usually just blows away, while it really is hard to know just how clean/oil-free a cloth really is. I prefer commercial brown unbleached paper towel roll, as it is slightly rougher and you know it doesn't have anything but wood pulp in it.

Bed leveling is as much art as science; I use a folded-over Post-It for initial leveling; the original kind that's a little thicker. Preheat bed to 50-60°, nozzle 120°-ish. Hold Post-It by the folded-over part, but single layer under the nozzle; bring the bed up til you can feel it drag, but can still push the paper front/back. Check at approx 30mm from each corner, the at bed center as a reality check.

Once you have it that close, it's usually just a matter of tweaking a fraction of a turn on each knob as the brim goes down on each print, and you're golden.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:02:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86493 on: March 27, 2021, 03:57:31 pm »
don't inhale, don't get it on your skin. Small quantities = blindness, large quantities, well ...

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #86494 on: March 27, 2021, 03:58:51 pm »
That Scotttrade guy is okey.. i bought my 2 Datron's there and my Anritsu 3Ghz counter.... it was mostly well packed and did arrive.
Last time i ordered in Dec and deliverd in Jan.. then brexit.. i was screwed so much by our customs and mostly the shippers extra chargers for custom services...
useualy when i get scruwed that hard i am also kissed...
UK now got a lot less interesting for shipping right now..
anyway the seller has been trustable to me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:04:28 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86495 on: March 27, 2021, 04:05:41 pm »
[...] useualy when i get scruwed that hard i am also kissed...  [...]

That one nearly cost me a keyboard...  don't drink coffee while reading the TEA thread!  :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86497 on: March 27, 2021, 04:12:28 pm »
Back on TEA.  :-+

Testing the Type 1A1 plug-in from the Type 547. Cleaned it up and deoxit'ed the controls/switches. Tossed it into the Type 535A and it works!  :-+ But has issues. The vertical gain on both channels is way out of spec equally and I can't bring either into spec. So that's smelling like some sort of B+ issue within the plug-in. Also the compensation is a little funky. But this is a good first start.

Dunno if I'll be on Discord later. My son is coming over this afternoon and we are going to get the round rubber issues fixed on the CR-V. But he WILL be bringing the Type 547 inside and on the scope cart. I kicked the 7904 off the cart for now. Once I get it in here I'll post pictures.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86498 on: March 27, 2021, 04:19:47 pm »
don't inhale, don't get it on your skin. Small quantities = blindness, large quantities, well ...
Yes, you have to be more careful with it than with IPA. The flip side is that it does a better job prepping a print surface than crappy diluted IPA which is often all you can get under COVID restrictions. |O

I expect anyone in here to read the label, FFS. :palm: But for those playing along at home, yes it is DANGEROUS. More toxic than IPA, and similarly flammable.

The jug warns aboot blindness/poisoning if ingested; this includes inhalation of vapor. If handled with care approximately as dangerous as pure IPA. I've bought from several different brands and all say the same thing.

It will burn the skin if left in direct contact; IPA usually will not. Direct contact with mucous membranes can allow absorption directly into the bloodstream, and sufficient contact area with skin will as well.

Lethal/blindness volume as little as 10ml if ingested. DO NOT DRINK THIS SHIT. DO NOT INHALE CONCENTRATED VAPORS.

mnem
 :horse:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:28:33 pm by mnementh »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86499 on: March 27, 2021, 04:34:54 pm »
Yes, you have to be more careful with it than with IPA. The flip side is that it does a better job prepping a print surface than crappy diluted IPA which is often all you can get under COVID restrictions. |O

I expect anyone in here to read the label, FFS. :palm: But for those playing along at home, yes it is DANGEROUS. More toxic than IPA, and similarly flammable.

The jug warns aboot blindness/poisoning if ingested; this includes inhalation of vapor. If handled with care approximately as dangerous as pure IPA. I've bought from several different brands and all say the same thing.

It will burn the skin if left in direct contact; IPA usually will not. Direct contact with mucous membranes can allow absorption directly into the bloodstream, and sufficient contact area with skin will as well.

Lethal/blindness volume as little as 10ml if ingested. DO NOT DRINK THIS SHIT. DO NOT INHALE CONCENTRATED VAPORS.

mnem
 :horse:

Yeah I prefer to dilute mine with cranberry juice before using it.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf