Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16483290 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86425 on: March 26, 2021, 09:58:38 pm »
China fun. These were only dispatched on Monday which was quite impressive. So £7.62 including delivery from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254721451632

Much like the previous Bliley ones I ordered, the band saw is cheaper than desoldering them. I love how they blasted straight through the unfortunate ICs at the bottom.

Will desolder and test later. Fingers crossed!

Edit: minor rant. Stuff from China is taking 4-6 days at the moment. Stuff from EU, 2-3 weeks and 50% of it doesn't turn up  >:( >:( >:(

Those are so cheap I did an "Aw fuck it, why not?" and ordered a couple to add to my collection of OCXOs. I've spent typically about £15 a piece on similar spec'ed used OCXOs purchased from the middle kingdom before.

Damn you guys - you just made me break my two week streak of not ordering anything from evilbay.   :rant:

-Pat

Yeah they are worth breaking that for  :-DD

I've attached datasheet and engineering drawings for them. I have kicad footprint if needed as well

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #86426 on: March 26, 2021, 10:10:01 pm »
This is a place where manually selecting your infill may be necessary. If I were doing this, I'd manually select GRID infill at 1-2mm spacing, then instead of skirt adhesion, I'd choose BRIM, 2-3mm wide, outside only, with MIN DISTANCE set at approx 1 or 2 line width, so 0.4mm or 0.8mm. This still helps adhesion with large prints like this, which are prone to curling/lifting due to walls at the perimeter, while being easy to remove.

Cheers,

mnem

We have different machines, I don't have those infill options, only infill overlap and fill density % settings.

If you're using Cura, Settings visibility is something you configure; many of their "pre-fab" printer profiles do not have nearly all the proper settings enabled.

If not, feel free to ignore that advice, or maybe experiment with Cura. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

I've upped the infill % for the AAA battery store, we'll see how it goes.

Didn't I see some of you guys saying you use hairspray to improve adhesion?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #86427 on: March 26, 2021, 10:11:50 pm »
Well good news so far. Apart from being an absolute bastard to get off the provided boards, both of them appear to work.

HP and Fluke pile doing the business on this one:

Both sit at 370mA approx until hot then settle at 250mA. Both adjustable to 10.00000000 easily but that's only a crystal ref.

3478A showing control voltage, 8060A showing device voltage, Fluke 25 showing device current, 5384A showing output frequency, supplied with wonky 6205B as I needed separate supply and control voltages.

Good deal. I'm working on some pics of the 5385A. I discovered a couple of minor repairs just due to age and handling - one has to do with a button and the other some cracked solder joints at a physical support. No big deal ...  :box:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86428 on: March 26, 2021, 10:11:57 pm »

Of course, curiosity ultimately won out... as it always does with the ol' tinkerdwagon. Appropriate flux for the task has been ordered; and I'll have a chance to put my recent Panavise gift to work.  ;D
Exactly what are we looking at here ?
Just a graphic card failure ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86429 on: March 26, 2021, 10:15:49 pm »
Failed Nvidia GPU from the dark ages flashed with Apple-specific FW + bored tinkerdwagon with new toys. 

Because this  :bullshit:http://www.macvidcards.com/store/c8/Recommended%3A_Mac_Pro_3%2C1.html is not  happening.

mnem
You'd better run. >:D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:20:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86430 on: March 26, 2021, 10:18:02 pm »
Nice box :-+
I have a HP16058A fixture that was modified by it's previous owner, with some of the inserts. Back from when I did not know that the K2636 had Keithley-specific toleranced triaxial jacks, so that only the plugs you buy on their cables fit :palm: and dreamed of making my own triax connection cables.
When I bought the fixture on "offer a price" it was good, at least taking into account the additional triaxial jacks mounted to the modification. Little did I know...
Edit: looking at epay, the prices for these seem to have gone up. Feel a little better now having bought mine ~4 years ago :palm:
Just to rub it in, I could not even begin to think of using this until now...

Good day,

yes, these Triaxial leads and connectors are surely nice and they have their advantages in low-current-sensing and RF-sensitive applications.
But they are just a pain for those who do not need these benefits... Even the adapters are truly expensive. :o

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Is this one of the Triaxial BNC's that the matching leads are really expensive, or something easier to obtain?
It's on the back of the only item of Keithley TEA I have a 455 picoammeter, it went into storage yesterday along with the pair of Solartron voltmeters I haven't got leads for yet.

David

I may have such a connector in stock

I'm in no rush for one*, but would be interested in a connector to fit it.  :-+
And I did find the connector I had, which was no use as it's another different looking version of what is fitted.

*my available TEA time will be severely restricted once I'm back at work on the 1st of April, when shielding ends.

David
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:20:06 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86431 on: March 26, 2021, 10:18:56 pm »
Didn't I see some of you guys saying you use hairspray to improve adhesion?[/color][/size][/b]

Makes it smell horrid. I put a glass bed on mine. Solved all the problems. Then I got rid of the whole thing, which solved the remaining problems  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline chekhov

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86432 on: March 26, 2021, 10:26:15 pm »
Just realized it's good page number to praise primary volt-nut therapy device HPAK 3458A  :clap:.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, ch_scr, syau

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86433 on: March 26, 2021, 10:28:40 pm »
Failed Nvidia GPU from the dark ages flashed with Apple-specific FW + bored tinkerdwagon with new toys. 

Because this  :bullshit:http://www.macvidcards.com/store/c8/Recommended%3A_Mac_Pro_3%2C1.html is not  happening.

mnem
Oh just $ then.
What's it worth in running condition ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86434 on: March 26, 2021, 10:34:16 pm »
you may extract the firmware from the dead card, try to find an equivalent and flash the previously extracted firmware and then check if it works.

Before you toast it completely ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86435 on: March 26, 2021, 10:35:01 pm »

Makes it smell horrid. I put a glass bed on mine. Solved all the problems. Then I got rid of the whole thing, which solved the remaining problems  :-DD
He has a glass bed. With adhesion-promoting coating.

For those playing along at home... Edges curling up is a common problem with large flat objects that have high walls right on the perimeter; the print pulls up as it cools. Brim and skirt do help, but at the cost of adding "flash" that must be removed.

Yes, hairspray does help; IMO, it's only a crutch if you don't have anything better to do with your time than print the same fucking thing 6 times to get exactly the right settings so it doesn't peel up.  :-//

If you're going to try hairspray, you want the extra-hold variant like AquaNet, and make a couple light mist coatings so the surface looks matte while the bed is hot. :-+

Cleanup is simple; isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel.

I also recommend you cover the printer around the bed with an old towel... it doesn't take long for overspray to make a right bloody mess of your 3DP.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #86436 on: March 26, 2021, 10:43:32 pm »
Anyone with access to a N8974A, N8975A or compatible noise figure analyzer? Would like to test something, quite willing to pay...
I have the old 8970 which maxes out at 1500MHz but have the noise sources 346a and b which go to 18GHz.
Originally used to build /test ultra low noise pre amp for earth-moon-earth amateur radio stuff. Got 37dB gain NF ~ 0.3 @1296MHz. Used kit from G4DDK, does need quite a bit of tweeking once built but bang buck amazing. I have put the noise sources in my Will as an asset!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #86437 on: March 26, 2021, 10:47:03 pm »
eBay auction: #193997883829 looks very suspicious, right?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86438 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:26 pm »
China fun. These were only dispatched on Monday which was quite impressive. So £7.62 including delivery from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254721451632

Much like the previous Bliley ones I ordered, the band saw is cheaper than desoldering them. I love how they blasted straight through the unfortunate ICs at the bottom.

Will desolder and test later. Fingers crossed!

Edit: minor rant. Stuff from China is taking 4-6 days at the moment. Stuff from EU, 2-3 weeks and 50% of it doesn't turn up  >:( >:( >:(

Those are so cheap I did an "Aw fuck it, why not?" and ordered a couple to add to my collection of OCXOs. I've spent typically about £15 a piece on similar spec'ed used OCXOs purchased from the middle kingdom before.

Damn you guys - you just made me break my two week streak of not ordering anything from evilbay.   :rant:

-Pat

[Fx: sing song voice] "Glad to be of service! And you have a lovely day!"
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86439 on: March 26, 2021, 10:50:33 pm »
Fuck all of you guys. Me three...!  :-DD

mnem
or four... or six...  :wtf: -ever...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86440 on: March 26, 2021, 10:51:04 pm »
And if we're doing the "post the HP kit that matches the page number" (shut up tggzzz!) thing:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86441 on: March 26, 2021, 10:52:28 pm »
you may extract the firmware from the dead card, try to find an equivalent and flash the previously extracted firmware and then check if it works. Before you toast it completely ...

Firmware files are available from the Mac addict user groups, but I'm not going to buy any GPU for this DDR2-powered dinosaur in this market. This is entirely for shits & grins; as far as I'm concerned, this GPU gave its all long ago. ;)

mnem
 :-/O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86442 on: March 26, 2021, 10:57:03 pm »
eBay auction: #193997883829 looks very suspicious, right?

Payment via bank transfer with a zero feedback...?

mnem
bwahahahahaha!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86443 on: March 26, 2021, 11:04:13 pm »

mnem
Oh just $ then. What's it worth in running condition ?

No fukkin' idea. I'll entertain advice on that from folks who actually know this dinosaur better than I.

C...? bd...? Is it worth the powder to blow it to hell, or is it really just the pretty space heater I described it earlier as...?

mnem

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86444 on: March 26, 2021, 11:20:29 pm »
For the guys who sent me PM's asking if I was OK I tried to respond over my phone but I forgot my blog password and it locked me out. But I can't tell you how much I appreciate the inquiries concerning my well being. We have a great caring group here.  :-+

BTW...my son took the duff tire (tyre) and new one and is getting it mounted for me.   

Nice to see you are alive so WE can take the Piss out of you instead :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86445 on: March 26, 2021, 11:21:14 pm »

mnem
Oh just $ then. What's it worth in running condition ?

No fukkin' idea. I'll entertain advice on that from folks who actually know this dinosaur better than I.

C...? bd...? Is it worth the powder to blow it to hell, or is it really just the pretty space heater I described it earlier as...?

mnem

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86446 on: March 26, 2021, 11:34:10 pm »
And if we're doing the "post the HP kit that matches the page number" (shut up tggzzz!) thing:

You're supposed to use your own TE    :P

EDIT: ie in this case you have to make it display the page number and your post count   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:37:49 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86447 on: March 26, 2021, 11:34:27 pm »
This is a place where manually selecting your infill may be necessary. If I were doing this, I'd manually select GRID infill at 1-2mm spacing, then instead of skirt adhesion, I'd choose BRIM, 2-3mm wide, outside only, with MIN DISTANCE set at approx 1 or 2 line width, so 0.4mm or 0.8mm. This still helps adhesion with large prints like this, which are prone to curling/lifting due to walls at the perimeter, while being easy to remove.

Cheers,

mnem

We have different machines, I don't have those infill options, only infill overlap and fill density % settings.

If you're using Cura, Settings visibility is something you configure; many of their "pre-fab" printer profiles do not have nearly all the proper settings enabled.

If not, feel free to ignore that advice, or maybe experiment with Cura. ;)

mnem

I've upped the infill % for the AAA battery store, we'll see how it goes.

Tried Hairspray and a few Gluestick options. When needed Bostick Gluestick for PETG and where possible just very very clean Glass for PLA works really well without adhesive for a lot of prints.

Random thoughts about how you said you couldn't break the brim away. What you might actually have there is a RAFT. Printing with a Raft was the default setting for the Demo print from memory and if that was the case likely your slicer still has it enabled as a default until check off?

I blew up a bit of your picture from a few pages ago and the very bottom section looks a bit odd. Rafts are designed to be peeled away from the print when finished and are typically only used on really oddball use cases now but were fairly common in the past.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86448 on: March 26, 2021, 11:40:56 pm »
Tried Hairspray and a few Gluestick options. When needed Bostick Gluestick for PETG and where possible just very very clean Glass for PLA works really well without adhesive for a lot of prints.

Random thoughts about how you said you couldn't break the brim away. What you might actually have there is a RAFT. Printing with a Raft was the default setting for the Demo print from memory and if that was the case likely your slicer still has it enabled as a default until check off?

I blew up a bit of your picture from a few pages ago and the very bottom section looks a bit odd. Rafts are designed to be peeled away from the print when finished and are typically only used on really oddball use cases now but were fairly common in the past.

Yes, it was set on raft, and no, it won't peel off (I haven't trimmed the top section yet, the raft is as firmly attached as any part of it!). The apparent deep raft you saw was just some meltage from when I trimmed it with the fretsaw.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86449 on: March 26, 2021, 11:41:21 pm »

A tad unkind.

My 4 core MacPro1,1s  - quite a step down the ladder from the MacPro3,1 that Mnem has - have done sterling service. I used one as my primary desktop machine until I splashed some of the company's money on a new Mac laptop a year and a bit ago.

The other was a useful ESXi box for back when I was running it to mock up stuff before moving it to production on a client's ESXi cluster. The only thing that keeps the one I've used for ESXi out of regular use is the relatively high power consumption in the small box room that I've filled with kit - I still spin it up occasionally if I want to do stuff that can only be tried out on a multiple machine ESXi cluster. It's a solid, reliable, reasonably fast machine but it uses 130W minimum to do what I can get done with 50W or less on more modern kit. Mine are loaded out with a full compliment of memory, which makes a significant impact performance wise, power consumption wise and heat wise on what is, after all, 2006 vintage kit.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf