Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16852876 times)

morris6, Andy Watson, mnementh, Henrik_V and 177 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86250 on: March 25, 2021, 08:25:15 am »
Starting to get concerned @med is laying at the rear of his wagon with a Tek scope pinning him in place  :-\ Anyone heard from him in the last few days?
Been thinking the same....missing him.
Considered sending him email however I know too well how debilitating a crook back can be and you just want to be left alone and not be pestered.

GWS Med.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86251 on: March 25, 2021, 08:29:06 am »

The Skagen Steel I've seen before in magazines; I liked it then and still like it. I have a Fossil Arkitekt which is very similar style. The Columbia is actually a serviceable outdoorsman watch; yes the crown actually works. It may become my go-to daily beater watch; we'll see how the band responds to a little vegetable oil.

I'll report back here with results of my attempts to resurrect all of the above.

mnem
 :popcorn:
Is vege oil the right thing to use on leather ?
Whaddabout Dubbin or Coacholine specifically made for leather ?

Saddle soap is the best option.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86252 on: March 25, 2021, 08:33:27 am »
Dubbin is an Oz and Kiwi thing it is all I have used on my work and hiking boots for decades. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbin Basically if it is leather and mine it gets coated  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86253 on: March 25, 2021, 08:34:45 am »

The Skagen Steel I've seen before in magazines; I liked it then and still like it. I have a Fossil Arkitekt which is very similar style. The Columbia is actually a serviceable outdoorsman watch; yes the crown actually works. It may become my go-to daily beater watch; we'll see how the band responds to a little vegetable oil.

I'll report back here with results of my attempts to resurrect all of the above.

mnem
Is vege oil the right thing to use on leather ?
Whaddabout Dubbin or Coacholine specifically made for leather ?

Saddle soap is the best option.
And probably the cleanest too !

Grandad swore by using ox blood on his leather boots to seal and preserve them which supposedly also gave a longer life....bit messy for a watch strap !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86254 on: March 25, 2021, 09:50:17 am »
[T12-BlaBla]

I'm looking for JBC stations for C470 cartridges for the soldering jobs needing "real" power on the other hand..  |O   :-DD

Will this never end...?   :popcorn:

I can recommend the JBC T470/C470 soldering iron. I'm owning one as well. Bought it in the bay (HD-2B with the T470) for around 150 Euro. I've made an adapter switch for it, so I can use a T245/C245 soldering iron as well.
Pictures can be found here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2814526/#msg2814526

Yep, I have a look at HD2Bs as well.  :)
I read about a hack with a switch that switches the two secondary power windings of the transformer between 48V (series) or 24V (parallel).
Have you come across that solution as well? Why did you choose the solution with a series resistor burning away more than half of the power..?   :P

These are the simple reasons, why I've chosen my solution:
- I don't like to drill holes in the case of the HD-2B
- I don't like to change the internals of the HD-2B
- I've found this (my) mod by accident in the internet and I didn't check for another solution

Yes, the disadvantage is, that the resistor is burning away the power but the advantage of not modding the HD-2B overweighs it (for me).
Another thing I like with my solution is, that switching between the two soldering irons can be easly done without disconnecting/reconnecting.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86255 on: March 25, 2021, 11:13:21 am »

Went Thrifting in the old neighborhood today; this is what I scored. First pic is a ioGEAR DisplayPort KVM for $5, a Logitech G510 KB & a M215 Mouse for my laptop bag. Total CAD$18.

Second pic is a couple watches... please don't think I've been bitten by the watch collecting bug; I seriously only buy them when they are a bona fide exceptional deal. This Skagen Steel in as-new condition still in plastic skins for $25 and this Columbia CL-3005 for $9 definitely qualify.

mnem
Good scores, but I doubt you'll find a larger bracelet for the Skagen watch, they are very designer watches, I have one with a leather strap, I got it thinking it would pretty standard, turned I was wrong and to make it worse, Skagen told me that the strap on it was the one available  :wtf: :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86256 on: March 25, 2021, 11:18:25 am »
Starting to get concerned @med is laying at the rear of his wagon with a Tek scope pinning him in place  :-\ Anyone heard from him in the last few days?
Been thinking the same....missing him.
Considered sending him email however I know too well how debilitating a crook back can be and you just want to be left alone and not be pestered.

GWS Med.
You're right, last time I heard anything, he was on the mend but slowly and thinking of calling his son to help get the scope out of the CRV. I hope he hasn't gone and made his back worse. Hey Med, if you're lurking, please let us all know how you're doing, will you?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86257 on: March 25, 2021, 11:35:37 am »
Heads up for those in London and the South East, beware your catalytic convertor is at risk. Police are warning that there are masked gangs going round stealing them from parked cars, even on peoples drives in broad daylight. Well-organised with trolley jacks and battery power angle grinders they can cut a convertor free in under 90 seconds and be away with it in their car. These can cost around £2000 to get replaced.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #86258 on: March 25, 2021, 11:55:53 am »
Heads up for those in London and the South East, beware your catalytic convertor is at risk. Police are warning that there are masked gangs going round stealing them from parked cars, even on peoples drives in broad daylight. Well-organised with trolley jacks and battery power angle grinders they can cut a convertor free in under 90 seconds and be away with it in their car. These can cost around £2000 to get replaced.

Around here it's BMW steering wheels that are taken. The only such thing I've been subjected to is the outside left mirror glass. One day as I was returning to my car it suddenly was gone. Not expensive to replace, but a nuisance. And the replacement heats less well. Heated mirrors are not an extra in Sweden..

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #86259 on: March 25, 2021, 12:27:43 pm »

Around here it's BMW steering wheels that are taken. The only such thing I've been subjected to is the outside left mirror glass. One day as I was returning to my car it suddenly was gone. Not expensive to replace, but a nuisance. And the replacement heats less well. Heated mirrors are not an extra in Sweden..

WTF?!? Is this the new version of the VW badges being nicked by Beastie Boys fans? Or are they being stripped for the pyro charges from the airbags by hordes of mini-Saskias?

:-// :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86260 on: March 25, 2021, 12:29:16 pm »
The mystery TE
 www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aircraft-Parts-Ground-Equipment-GROUND-AAIR-TRAINING-WEAPONS-EFFECT-SIM-TEST-SET/384017553215?
Turned up. I was hoping it was a RF simulator but no such luck. It's basically a giant IR remote control with two buttons  :(
Not even much in the way of components just a bunch of CMOS logic chips etc. It did come with a lead so a 10W milspec connector pair at least. The housing is cast alloy and weighs aa lot. Might be useful for a rugged geiger counter.

Not a complete fail though. Not shown in the listing photos, it came with a very nice deep drawn aluminum briefcase style carry case. Even has the keys  :-+

You still did ok for less than 20 quid shipped  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86261 on: March 25, 2021, 12:33:43 pm »

Don’t worry too much unless you drive a hybrid. 85% are nicked off them.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86262 on: March 25, 2021, 12:34:22 pm »

WTF?!? Is this the new version of the VW badges being nicked by Beastie Boys fans? Or are they being stripped for the pyro charges from the airbags by hordes of mini-Saskias?

The steering wheels are being robbed to replace ones that have gone off in minor accidents. The catalytic convertors are being robbed for the metals inside them, however, newer model vehicles have started to put the catalytic convertor further inside the engine room to make it more difficult to rob them. Earlier vehicles had them open under the vehicle. Over here the business version of the Navigation in BMWs are being stolen too, to upgrade vehicles that have the standard system.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86263 on: March 25, 2021, 12:41:24 pm »

The steering wheels are being robbed to replace ones that have gone off in minor accidents. The catalytic convertors are being robbed for the metals inside them, however, newer model vehicles have started to put the catalytic convertor further inside the engine room to make it more difficult to rob them. Earlier vehicles had them open under the vehicle. Over here the business version of the Navigation in BMWs are being stolen too, to upgrade vehicles that have the standard system.

McBryce.

I'm surprised these parts can be replaced without being coded to the vehicle nowadays.

Catalytic converter theft for the (primarily) platinum content has been a thing forever, and it has taken the manufacturers a couple of decades to move the things a bit closer to the manifold to help mitigate.

Interestingly the quantity of platinum that gets blown out of them has inspired other, less illegal schemes:  https://www.mgsrefining.com/blog/2016/11/15/is-roadside-platinum-recovery-feasible/
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86264 on: March 25, 2021, 12:53:03 pm »
The mystery TE
 www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aircraft-Parts-Ground-Equipment-GROUND-AAIR-TRAINING-WEAPONS-EFFECT-SIM-TEST-SET/384017553215?
Turned up. I was hoping it was a RF simulator but no such luck. It's basically a giant IR remote control with two buttons  :(
Not even much in the way of components just a bunch of CMOS logic chips etc. It did come with a lead so a 10W milspec connector pair at least. The housing is cast alloy and weighs aa lot. Might be useful for a rugged geiger counter.

Not a complete fail though. Not shown in the listing photos, it came with a very nice deep drawn aluminum briefcase style carry case. Even has the keys  :-+

You still did ok for less than 20 quid shipped  :-+
Yep, not complaining. Happy to pay that to gamble on it being useful and find out wht it was.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86265 on: March 25, 2021, 12:58:21 pm »

Don’t worry too much unless you drive a hybrid. 85% are nicked off them.

Seems to be specifically Toyotas. Their CATs have higher value metal content.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86266 on: March 25, 2021, 01:06:13 pm »
Got into designing the "ears" for the K26xx. Not sure on the asymmetrical vs symmetrical style.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:12:27 pm by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: THDplusN_bad, BU508A, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86267 on: March 25, 2021, 01:35:27 pm »
Quick lunch time 3478A update.

Destickered and cleaned up finally.  HP stack...

Job done.

I did some comparative measurements with my other two Flukes and everything is within specification. Either that or they're all equally wrong  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, beanflying, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86268 on: March 25, 2021, 01:39:26 pm »

McBryce.

I'm surprised these parts can be replaced without being coded to the vehicle nowadays.

Catalytic converter theft for the (primarily) platinum content has been a thing forever, and it has taken the manufacturers a couple of decades to move the things a bit closer to the manifold to help mitigate.

Interestingly the quantity of platinum that gets blown out of them has inspired other, less illegal schemes:  https://www.mgsrefining.com/blog/2016/11/15/is-roadside-platinum-recovery-feasible/

I think they only use the navigation screen, not the whole system.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86269 on: March 25, 2021, 01:40:59 pm »
I am not pyromanic enuff to steal stuff or try to pull a fast one on explosives. The snafu coefficient is way too high. reminds me of a mishap where I catapulted about 1500 grams to 800 m and the chute ejection charge did not fire. Almost hit a parked glider and left a satisfying crater.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #86270 on: March 25, 2021, 01:45:26 pm »
Quick lunch time 3478A update.

Destickered and cleaned up finally.  HP stack...

Nice. May have something to show today along the lines of the top unit, but a little different.  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86271 on: March 25, 2021, 02:00:28 pm »
Nice box :-+
I have a HP16058A fixture that was modified by it's previous owner, with some of the inserts. Back from when I did not know that the K2636 had Keithley-specific toleranced triaxial jacks, so that only the plugs you buy on their cables fit :palm: and dreamed of making my own triax connection cables.
When I bought the fixture on "offer a price" it was good, at least taking into account the additional triaxial jacks mounted to the modification. Little did I know...
Edit: looking at epay, the prices for these seem to have gone up. Feel a little better now having bought mine ~4 years ago :palm:
Just to rub it in, I could not even begin to think of using this until now...

Good day,

yes, these Triaxial leads and connectors are surely nice and they have their advantages in low-current-sensing and RF-sensitive applications.
But they are just a pain for those who do not need these benefits... Even the adapters are truly expensive. :o

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86272 on: March 25, 2021, 02:15:23 pm »

Went Thrifting in the old neighborhood today; this is what I scored. First pic is a ioGEAR DisplayPort KVM for $5, a Logitech G510 KB & a M215 Mouse for my laptop bag. Total CAD$18.

Second pic is a couple watches... please don't think I've been bitten by the watch collecting bug; I seriously only buy them when they are a bona fide exceptional deal. This Skagen Steel in as-new condition still in plastic skins for $25 and this Columbia CL-3005 for $9 definitely qualify.

mnem
Good scores, but I doubt you'll find a larger bracelet for the Skagen watch, they are very designer watches, I have one with a leather strap, I got it thinking it would pretty standard, turned I was wrong and to make it worse, Skagen told me that the strap on it was the one available  :wtf: :palm:

Good eye, but I long ago learned to try a watch on before I buy. 😉

This one has all the links, and is actually quite delightfully loose on my right wrist.  ;D I may have to take a link out...

mnem
*zombie-dwagon this morning*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86273 on: March 25, 2021, 02:22:17 pm »

At least it's one of the two ways that he'd like to go.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, beanflying

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86274 on: March 25, 2021, 02:42:58 pm »
I am not pyromanic enuff to steal stuff or try to pull a fast one on explosives. The snafu coefficient is way too high. reminds me of a mishap where I catapulted about 1500 grams to 800 m and the chute ejection charge did not fire. Almost hit a parked glider and left a satisfying crater.

Hmm perhaps I should have qualified my statement a little more clearly, "mini-Saskia-wannabees". Is that better?   :-DD

Just fired up the 3DP for the first time, intention: print stuff off thingiverse until I learn CAD.
Damn thing wouldn't start. After some fiddling about, found that the display is connected using the EXT 3 port, not the EXT 2, or, (why would it be?) the EXT 1 port that I had it plugged into initially. For context, the other ports are unused, presumably reserved for some add-on parts or other.
Next problem; I'd routed the tube and wiring for the head on the wrong side of the top crossmember. Power had to be hastily switched off before snappage occured.
Next problem; autohome sets the bed too high for the glass bed I'm using with PLA. Glad I noticed it before starting a print, or it would have probably fooked the nozzle and glass bed both.
Next problem; bed clearly not level, but as I'd started a test print and didn't want to abort, levelled it mostly by eye, on the fly. Time will tell how good my eye is...

Once the test print is done I'm printing a AA battery storage box from thingiverse.   :phew:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf