Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17711866 times)

factory, TERRA Operative, djadeski, BillW69, Vince and 95 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86075 on: March 23, 2021, 07:27:39 pm »
Probably. Bastard. If you’re not happy with the end price being low put a decent starting price on it  :palm:

Currently dealing with a fucking drama queen at work. Turns out when you make someone accountable it turns them into a raging shit cunt.
Keep doing it !
It don't happen anywhere near enough.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #86076 on: March 23, 2021, 07:29:28 pm »
I mean sure, it's fine for a server. That you're going to stick in the back of a closet, or under a desk.
What kind of unholy server rooms do you find those "servers"?

Back 20 years ago, people did not mount their computers in 19" racks as much as we do today. There was this concept of a "tower server". and some machines could have a rack mount kit attached to it -- I've converted a bunch of yellow pre-hp Compaqs from tower to rack, once.

I do not miss those days.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86077 on: March 23, 2021, 07:32:05 pm »
Probably. Bastard. If you’re not happy with the end price being low put a decent starting price on it  :palm:

Currently dealing with a fucking drama queen at work. Turns out when you make someone accountable it turns them into a raging shit cunt.
Keep doing it !
It don't happen anywhere near enough.

On it. I am as happy as a pig in shit when I’m doing that. Only time I will do overtime free of charge  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86078 on: March 23, 2021, 07:37:05 pm »
I mean sure, it's fine for a server. That you're going to stick in the back of a closet, or under a desk.
What kind of unholy server rooms do you find those "servers"?

Back 20 years ago, people did not mount their computers in 19" racks as much as we do today. There was this concept of a "tower server". and some machines could have a rack mount kit attached to it -- I've converted a bunch of yellow pre-hp Compaqs from tower to rack, once.

I do not miss those days.

Yep. I’ve built a fair few as well. The workgroup servers were all like that until recently when the cloud took over. Only thing that goes in the rack is the switch. Typical pile of servers under a table is what you see.

This is an old one I unfucked back in 2005...

1 person: 40 CAT5 runs and exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration in three days  8)

Edit: excuse potato camera. Orange SPV200  :o
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:39:38 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86079 on: March 23, 2021, 07:38:28 pm »
The seller ended the auction two hours early at that price. I was going to bid on it.
Bummer  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86080 on: March 23, 2021, 07:41:38 pm »

Keep doing it !   It don't happen anywhere near enough.
On it. I am as happy as a pig in shit when I’m doing that. Only time I will do overtime free of charge  :-DD

tautech beat me to it.  :-DD +1 for accountability; if you have it in your power to make it happen, then pile it on.

mnem
  :-+
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86081 on: March 23, 2021, 07:47:19 pm »
@mnementh Unless I'm missing something here, your case is pretty much the same as mine, behind your glass front panel there is an airway (intake) at the bottom, intake, at the top exhaust and the rear, exhaust, which my case offers exactly the same possibilities and by removing 3.5" internal bays, it has 4 x 2.5" SSD clip in drive bays behind the MB panel.

I can mount the following in my case if wanted to install a custom fully water cooled system. Top, 1 x 280 mm double rad with 4 fans in push/pull + 1 x 140 mm fan, Front 1 x 280 double rad with 2 fans, Bottom, 1 x 280 mm double rad with 2 fans + PSU with its own fan and Rear 1 x 240 Rad and fan, so mine has the same ability for air flow from the same places as yours. So by my reckoning, is also just as capable, should I wish, to be reconfigured as a reverse airflow build with ease.   :-//

I also can out fan yours, with upto 11 fans in use, I could also hire it out as wind tunnel  :-DD :-DD

Also, I see that Overclock3D.net on YT give mine the Gold Award.  :-+  I did loads of researching when I selected that case to ensure that should never have to buy another case in my lifetime as I became acutely aware that almost every time I did an upgrade to my rig it nearly always resulted in the need for another case. Now, when I do an upgrade, I reuse the case but pass on my MB and CPU etc to one of my boys.

Please don't be offended; it simply is not what I need for this application. It's too fukkin' big & too fukkin' heavy, it is designed to house shitloads of *yukkk!* spinning rust and optical drives, and it is designed to flow through from front to back, which is the exact opposite of what I want for this build.

My case has room for triple 140mm rads top and front with filters, 140mm rear fan, plus it has 400mm x 120mm of filter on the bottom. It is exactly the right size for this build, not too big or too small.

I have built dozens of daily driver PCs in cases just like your Corsair... and for a PC I don't plan to move a inch for a decade, that is the just kind of case I'd go for.  :-+

But not for my VR gaming machine.

Cheers,

mnem
 :-/O
:palm: Bugger, Sorry, but I thought you had already got that case, and I was just showing you the case that I have been using for years and trying to work out just why you said it was no good for reverse airflow, I was not a single moment suggesting that you should get it.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

So once again we have been at cross purposes here.  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:49:01 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86082 on: March 23, 2021, 07:48:33 pm »

As of last I was out in the wild, mid-2019, that was still the case with certain types of clients; particularly banks and hotels were very likely to have some fukking critical system in a machine like that. That you literally had to dig out from under either a decade of manuals/paperwork or were in a corner behind 3 layers of actual racks filled with infrastructure.

I have little doubt this will still be true when we have boots on Mars.  :palm:

mnem
 |O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86083 on: March 23, 2021, 07:54:03 pm »

The world is full of drama queens, they can dish it out but unable to take it back when they fuck up.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86084 on: March 23, 2021, 08:02:10 pm »

As of last I was out in the wild, mid-2019, that was still the case with certain types of clients; particularly banks and hotels were very likely to have some fukking critical system in a machine like that. That you literally had to dig out from under either a decade of manuals/paperwork or were in a corner behind 3 layers of actual racks filled with infrastructure.

I have little doubt this will still be true when we have boots on Mars.  :palm:

mnem
 |O

Yeah that’s going to be a shit show with a spare parts supply problem  :-DD.

Much like the Belters in The Expanse, it’ll only take a couple of generations of hard vacuum to evolve past that level of incompetence  :-DD

The world is full of drama queens, they can dish it out but unable to take it back when they fuck up.

Spot on.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86085 on: March 23, 2021, 08:03:12 pm »

Is not potato kamera, is turnip camera. Da?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86086 on: March 23, 2021, 08:05:25 pm »
Please don't be offended; it simply is not what I need for this application. It's too fukkin' big & too fukkin' heavy, it is designed to house shitloads of *yukkk!* spinning rust and optical drives, and it is designed to flow through from front to back, which is the exact opposite of what I want for this build.

My case has room for triple 140mm rads top and front with filters, 140mm rear fan, plus it has 400mm x 120mm of filter on the bottom. It is exactly the right size for this build, not too big or too small.

I have built dozens of daily driver PCs in cases just like your Corsair... and for a PC I don't plan to move a inch for a decade, that is the just kind of case I'd go for.  :-+

Cheers,

mnem
:palm: Bugger, Sorry, but I thought you had already got that case, and I was just showing you the case that I have been using for years and trying to work out just why you said it was no good for reverse airflow, I was not a single moment suggesting that you should get it.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

This (and the tempered glass front/basement cover) is the main reason I got this case:

I can configure it to blow out the front and top, and draw air in from the back and bottom so there is no preheated air flowing through either rad. IIRC, the Corsair has a filter under the PSU, but not the main body of the case like this one.

That said; looking at this pic I realize I'm going to have to tape over that row of holes on the one side which is not filtered.  :o

So thanks for making me go back and take that pic! :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:08:58 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86087 on: March 23, 2021, 08:13:47 pm »

:-DD

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86088 on: March 23, 2021, 08:32:32 pm »
Short update on that VAT added-eBay-case:

My money is back!   :-+

The selling company wrote that they indeed put on their offers on eBay.com where there's no VAT-regulation like for the EU eBay-sites/-companies. They also wrote that they think that putting their terms and conditions is enough even if they offer an item on eBay.com and e.g. eBay.de with their conflicting terms and conditions.  :palm:

In the end they agreed to the points I made and cancelled the order apologizing for causing trouble on my side.

I think a reliable seller over all.

As a private customer I won't buy from them because their prices are too high after adding 24% VAT to price and shipping..   :horse:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:34:56 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86089 on: March 23, 2021, 08:47:02 pm »

Cheers,

mnem

This (and the tempered glass front/basement cover) is the main reason I got this case:

I can configure it to blow out the front and top, and draw air in from the back and bottom so there is no preheated air flowing through either rad. IIRC, the Corsair has a filter under the PSU, but not the main body of the case like this one.

That said; looking at this pic I realize I'm going to have to tape over that row of holes on the one side which is not filtered.  :o

So thanks for making me go back and take that pic! :-DD

mnem
My pleasure  :-DD Personally, I wouldn't want that plate glass front cover, prefer a grill like mine has (there are 2 versions of mine, 1 with the polished alloy plate and the Airflow grill which replaced it, a £35 upgrade to further enhance airflow) as the  attached photo shows.

Yes, you're correct, the PSU does have a filter, but the bottom fan position does not, it might well have on the latest version.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86090 on: March 23, 2021, 08:50:03 pm »

Quote from: ZDNet Review
...The camera is one of the best we’ve seen in a phone. It captures both still and moving images, the former at three resolutions (160 by 120, 320 by 240 and 640 by 480) and the latter at two resolutions (176 by 144 and 352 by 288) with or without audio. There are several ambience settings, including one for dim lighting and an option that lets you manually tweak brightness, gamma, hue and saturation.

turnip camera, potato phone. In the age of potatoPwns.  :-DD   Say "Hi!", gladOS...  :o

mnem
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:58:31 pm by mnementh »

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86091 on: March 23, 2021, 09:02:41 pm »
Some hp orange glow goodness for those in the GWN;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193984711419

And for those in the US a 1959 hp catalog;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265097677593

David
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:06:58 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86092 on: March 23, 2021, 09:05:17 pm »

Quote from: ZDNet Review
...The camera is one of the best we’ve seen in a phone. It captures both still and moving images, the former at three resolutions (160 by 120, 320 by 240 and 640 by 480) and the latter at two resolutions (176 by 144 and 352 by 288) with or without audio. There are several ambience settings, including one for dim lighting and an option that lets you manually tweak brightness, gamma, hue and saturation.

turnip camera, potato phone. In an age of potatoPwns.  :-DD   Say "Hi!", gladOS...  :o

mnem

The year 2003 called and wanted the phone returned for a museum piece, reminds me of the Nokia I was issued with as a company phone. 
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86093 on: March 23, 2021, 09:09:28 pm »
Think I'll just leave this old video here to go with those phones;

I'm sure there was another one but it seems to have vanished.

David
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:11:38 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86094 on: March 23, 2021, 09:12:44 pm »
The year 2003 called and wanted the phone returned for a museum piece, reminds me of the Nokia I was issued with as a company phone. 

Hilariously I went to the science museum a while ago and they had my old phone as an exhibit  :-DD

That's whey you know you're getting old  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, factory, Kosmic

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86095 on: March 23, 2021, 09:29:23 pm »

Hilariously I went to the science museum a while ago and they had my old phone as an exhibit  :-DD

That's whey you know you're getting old  :-DD
Just looked up our first cells.......Profile 300 ....yes listed as vintage also.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86096 on: March 23, 2021, 09:41:23 pm »

First Pwn.  :palm:

Also, this is what I'm currently rockin' for a daily driver, while I wait for a RMA on my Aorus... :o

mnem
You may all now point and laugh...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:42:59 pm by mnementh »

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86097 on: March 23, 2021, 09:46:35 pm »
Anyone in Germany interested in a hp 5325A with the manual?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/203316112923

And on for the Tek fans (US only), just lacks a 360 indicator module.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184720838928

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/160

David
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:52:09 pm by factory »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #86098 on: March 23, 2021, 09:47:03 pm »
Some hp orange glow goodness for those in the GWN;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193984711419

David

I was about to say that I recognize that unit as mine!
But, it is not the one I bought a few weeks back.  (yes, I still owe pictures.) Same seller, although I purchased through the local selling site kijiji.ca.  He did not mention anything about having another counter at the time I visited.
He has a few other items of interest as well.
https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/1002310289/listings/1

The one I bought from him has option 001, this one on ePay does not have that option.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:54:07 pm by cyclin_al »

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86099 on: March 23, 2021, 10:05:36 pm »
It does have option 001 (8th digit), but maybe not factory installed, or the sticker fell off.  :-//

David
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:12:06 pm by factory »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf