Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17714397 times)

Vince and 91 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86050 on: March 23, 2021, 02:41:37 pm »
I think this is the right page to leave this hp 3440A, if only I could get to it to take a better picture.  |O

David

Ooooh, sweet - you have the plug in extender.  I recall seeing one, once, several years ago on our favorite auction site.  It was being sold along with a 3440.  I stupidly didn't bid on it.   |O  :palm:  |O

Here's mine after I cleaned it up:

Lots of orange goodness in the 34xx instrument range!

-Pat

The extender was quite expensive as it was an ePay auction + another half of the item cost to ship a large & lightweight parcel from Australia, was bought 10 years ago.
I've only seen two more since, the one with a 3440 & two plug-ins and this one with added test points for the power supply rails (note the different model no.) some jammy git got that one for $9.99.  :o

Bugger are we going to get to page 3450 & 3480 before I find those hp DVM's for my collection.  :-\

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86051 on: March 23, 2021, 02:58:34 pm »
Heads up for UK people. Screwfix's line of cheap mains plugs has turned to shit. I've just thrown two away. Screw clamps are drilled slightly offset so it's impossible to clamp the conductor without it slipping out of the hole  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

Did you double the conductor over?

If so and it still doesn't clamp securely, it doesn't meet BS1363 and is either faulty or below the required standard and is illegal to sell. Might also be worth checking if the included 13A fuse has sand in it, as I posted in the 121GW discussion thread, I'm seeing an increasing number that don't, and in the application (3kVA isolation transformers hired from a big national chain) they have a tendency to explode.

I did double it over and nope it wouldn’t hold it. I didn’t check the fuse to be honest. The whole thing is in the bin which has just been collected.

Not surprised. I wouldn’t want to plug your oven in with one of those plugs  :palm:

You should have forwarded them to BigClive, he can't get enough cheap dodgy/shit electrical/electronic items and failed stuff from more well known brands too.

David

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86052 on: March 23, 2021, 03:13:34 pm »
I have the Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, its a beautiful case to look at and to work on, but is huge and heavy, but there is a ton of space inside for whatever cooling, size of power supply and graphic cards you want to use, no restrictions whatsoever, I got mine in 2013, and it is still available today.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/corsair-obsidian-series-750d-full-tower-case/cc-9011035-ww.html?utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Kelkoo

Ewwww..... that's a server case. No tempered glass side/front, no PSU basement/channel... all those exposed 5.25 in bays...

And the airflow is all wrong for a dual-radiator build. You can't do a reverse-flow build so both rads get fresh air.

I mean sure, it's fine for a server. That you're going to stick in the back of a closet, or under a desk. It is NOT a gamer case, or designed for the bits a gamer (in my case, VR) uses.

mnem
 :-/O

So with a glass sided case how do you comply with ICES-003 and not contravene section 4(3) of the Radiocommunication Act?  >:D

I assume the same way that plastic laptops manage to do it. Either way, the case is sold without an electronics inside, so it would sail through any EMC test.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86053 on: March 23, 2021, 03:19:44 pm »
re computer cases:
I hate blinkenlights that are only there for *bling* and serve no additional purpose.
A light should carry information. In the christmas trees of computer cases the stuff distracts from actual information carrying lights. Which is a no go and tiresome if you actually have to "work" with that stuff (see cockpit blinking lights on boats, airplanes, etc ...)

No blinken. Pale bloo lichten. I loathe unicorn barf with a passion rivaling that of a Viking landing party. ;)

mnem

Hmm, this guy does not seem to rate your case as having good airflow, more of a blingy case than a good decent case.

He's talking aboot the AiO, from what I can see. Also... he installed all that crap in his case, and he's building a ThreadRipper for a gaming rig. He's a fuckwit. :palm:

mnem
*punt!*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #86054 on: March 23, 2021, 03:23:20 pm »
   Nothing to do with TEA but something I have never Lasered before  >:D 40% power and 300mm/second - needs less power and better jigging.
Laser soldering?

Removing existing solder mask, per pic. Now as to what nefarious deeds bean has in mind with this exercise... no telling. If we see a mushroom cloud emanating from the great down under in the next few dayzz, you know it dinn't go well.  :-DD

mnem
*tzzzzzt...*
Bean's been playing along in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/laser-ing-the-ic-markings-off-on-a-budget/msg3525866/#msg3525866

And....he's been on the single malt.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86055 on: March 23, 2021, 03:31:59 pm »
re computer cases:
I hate blinkenlights that are only there for *bling* and serve no additional purpose.
A light should carry information. In the christmas trees of computer cases the stuff distracts from actual information carrying lights. Which is a no go and tiresome if you actually have to "work" with that stuff (see cockpit blinking lights on boats, airplanes, etc ...)

No blinken. Pale bloo lichten. I loathe unicorn barf with a passion rivaling that of a Viking landing party. ;)

mnem

Hmm, this guy does not seem to rate your case as having good airflow, more of a blingy case than a good decent case.

He's talking aboot the AiO, from what I can see. Also... he installed all that crap in his case, and he's building a ThreadRipper for a gaming rig. He's a fuckwit. :palm:

mnem
*punt!*

How about Linus then? Oh and also my version of this case is the airflow which has the front panel removed and a nice grill fitted which is also a filter and the case has massive airflow.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #86056 on: March 23, 2021, 03:34:42 pm »
I think this is the right page to leave this hp 3440A, if only I could get to it to take a better picture.  |O

David

Ooooh, sweet - you have the plug in extender.  I recall seeing one, once, several years ago on our favorite auction site.  It was being sold along with a 3440.  I stupidly didn't bid on it.   |O  :palm:  |O

Here's mine after I cleaned it up:

Lots of orange goodness in the 34xx instrument range!

-Pat

The extender was quite expensive as it was an ePay auction + another half of the item cost to ship a large & lightweight parcel from Australia, was bought 10 years ago.
I've only seen two more since, the one with a 3440 & two plug-ins and this one with added test points for the power supply rails (note the different model no.) some jammy git got that one for $9.99.  :o

Bugger are we going to get to page 3450 & 3480 before I find those hp DVM's for my collection.  :-\

David

Holy crap!!  Ten bucks?!?  Whoever got that one REALLY stole it!  Lucky bastard!

And you'd best get to digging through your collection at the rate this thread grows!!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #86057 on: March 23, 2021, 03:49:45 pm »
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck....

Spend hours on a Datron 1071 that had all gibberish on the display. So, that will never be an "economical repair", no matter what anyone would ever give for it. But eventually I traced it down to the reset of the 6800 that was stuck low. Turns out the "power good" threshold chip drifted. Like... a lot. Supposed to trip at a max of 1,2 or so, wouldn't trip untill 1,3. But, well, fine by me.

Booted fine after that. Selftest still throwing errors but I wasn't overly fussed. They throw errors if the internal calibration is off all the time. So, eh. Tested voltage, current and resistance: all very credibly results.

The trafo was getting pretty damn hot (which doesn't make sense as the cover was off), so there was more work to be done for sure. But while looking around for a cable to charge the FLIR I heard a *bzzzztt*. Turned around, just in time to see the display going out  :palm: |O

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86058 on: March 23, 2021, 03:50:26 pm »
Right farnell buggered me for 50 quid now. Will it turn up?   :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86059 on: March 23, 2021, 04:14:15 pm »
re computer cases:

mnem

mnem
*punt!*

How about Linus then? Oh and also my version of this case is the airflow which has the front panel removed and a nice grill fitted which is also a filter and the case has massive airflow.

A reverse-flow build needs different things. An air-cooled GPU is dependent on a flow-thru build, mine is water cooled. Different animal altogether.

Also, Linus tends to be somewhat errrr.... superficial in his analysis of some things aboot a case; I remember a review he did saying there was no airflow in the front of a NZXT case due to thin side vents, when it very clearly had approx 2" x 6" of wide open inlet at the bottom chin area. :palm: Of course, his live chat lit up like a Christmas tree over that one. ;)

I've been building gamer boxes for a long time, and OCing a long time. I know what I want from my case, and I rarely have temps above the mid 30s (often mid 20s) unless I'm flogging FurMark, 3DMark or Unigine, etc. And I know that, because I put an actual thermometer on the CPU as a sanity check, not just relying on the data coming from the processor in question.

This case has plenty of airflow. It's just coming from the back and the bottom, which is all air inlet/filter, rather than the front. That is exactly what I want for this build. Your case cannot provide that. It is not the right tool for this job.

Cheers,

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #86060 on: March 23, 2021, 04:29:44 pm »
Ewwww..... that's a server case. No tempered glass side/front, no PSU basement/channel... all those exposed 5.25 in bays...

And the airflow is all wrong for a dual-radiator build. You can't do a reverse-flow build so both rads get fresh air.

I mean sure, it's fine for a server. That you're going to stick in the back of a closet, or under a desk. It is NOT a gamer case, or designed for the bits a gamer (in my case, VR) uses.

mnem
What kind of unholy server rooms do you find those "servers"?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86061 on: March 23, 2021, 04:32:34 pm »
   Nothing to do with TEA but something I have never Lasered before  >:D 40% power and 300mm/second - needs less power and better jigging.
Laser soldering?

Removing existing solder mask, per pic. Now as to what nefarious deeds bean has in mind with this exercise... no telling. If we see a mushroom cloud emanating from the great down under in the next few dayzz, you know it dinn't go well.  :-DD

mnem
*tzzzzzt...*
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/laser-ing-the-ic-markings-off-on-a-budget/msg3525866/#msg3525866

LOL... of course he has. I still stand by my original statement... every last word of it. ;)

EDIT: Thread read, inappropriate comments made* >:D

mnem
*zzzzzorrrrch...*
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:28:02 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86062 on: March 23, 2021, 05:34:21 pm »
Laser soldering?

mnem
*tzzzzzt...*

LOL... of course he has. I still stand by my original statement... every last word of it. ;)

EDIT: Thread read, inappropriate comments made* >:D

mnem
*zzzzzorrrrch...*

why should there be a mushroom cloud emanating from Oz ?  Oz didn't do me wrong.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86063 on: March 23, 2021, 05:45:41 pm »
You aren't the only one out there with a *-inator... or The List... :-DD

mnem
   Bill of Lading

Recipent: mnem, INC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
200 IDEAL 24" Crowbars:        US$647
LEO Shipping/Handling: US$2,327,000
Total:                           US$2,327,648
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 06:01:01 pm by mnementh »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86064 on: March 23, 2021, 05:49:37 pm »
Hei Saskia,

any recommendations about a good card reader for a 3.5" slot?

Something like this:

I can send you one, PM please.

PM sent.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86065 on: March 23, 2021, 06:17:31 pm »
Seen it. Will reply tomorrow.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86066 on: March 23, 2021, 06:32:56 pm »
Argh bastard delisted my future Tek 422  >:(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193964798267

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86067 on: March 23, 2021, 06:41:58 pm »

I hate it when they do that. :rant:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86068 on: March 23, 2021, 06:50:26 pm »
@mnementh Unless I'm missing something here, your case is pretty much the same as mine, behind your glass front panel there is an airway (intake) at the bottom, intake, at the top exhaust and the rear, exhaust, which my case offers exactly the same possibilities and by removing 3.5" internal bays, it has 4 x 2.5" SSD clip in drive bays behind the MB panel.

I can mount the following in my case if wanted to install a custom fully water cooled system. Top, 1 x 280 mm double rad with 4 fans in push/pull + 1 x 140 mm fan, Front 1 x 280 double rad with 2 fans, Bottom, 1 x 280 mm double rad with 2 fans + PSU with its own fan and Rear 1 x 240 Rad and fan, so mine has the same ability for air flow from the same places as yours. So by my reckoning, is also just as capable, should I wish, to be reconfigured as a reverse airflow build with ease.   :-//

I also can out fan yours, with upto 11 fans in use, I could also hire it out as wind tunnel  :-DD :-DD

Also, I see that Overclock3D.net on YT give mine the Gold Award.  :-+  I did loads of researching when I selected that case to ensure that should never have to buy another case in my lifetime as I became acutely aware that almost every time I did an upgrade to my rig it nearly always resulted in the need for another case. Now, when I do an upgrade, I reuse the case but pass on my MB and CPU etc to one of my boys.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86069 on: March 23, 2021, 06:56:55 pm »

WTF, it sold for £2.20  :o How come you weren't all over it, now that you're back on the Tek wagon, I mean it was just round the bloody corner as well  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86070 on: March 23, 2021, 07:06:58 pm »
The seller ended the auction two hours early at that price. I was going to bid on it.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86071 on: March 23, 2021, 07:11:32 pm »
Either he just ended it or the high bidder offered him more off-ebay to "sell" it to him early.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86072 on: March 23, 2021, 07:16:58 pm »
@mnementh Unless I'm missing something here, your case is pretty much the same as mine, behind your glass front panel there is an airway (intake) at the bottom, intake, at the top exhaust and the rear, exhaust, which my case offers exactly the same possibilities and by removing 3.5" internal bays, it has 4 x 2.5" SSD clip in drive bays behind the MB panel.

I can mount the following in my case if wanted to install a custom fully water cooled system. Top, 1 x 280 mm double rad with 4 fans in push/pull + 1 x 140 mm fan, Front 1 x 280 double rad with 2 fans, Bottom, 1 x 280 mm double rad with 2 fans + PSU with its own fan and Rear 1 x 240 Rad and fan, so mine has the same ability for air flow from the same places as yours. So by my reckoning, is also just as capable, should I wish, to be reconfigured as a reverse airflow build with ease.   :-//

I also can out fan yours, with upto 11 fans in use, I could also hire it out as wind tunnel  :-DD :-DD

Also, I see that Overclock3D.net on YT give mine the Gold Award.  :-+  I did loads of researching when I selected that case to ensure that should never have to buy another case in my lifetime as I became acutely aware that almost every time I did an upgrade to my rig it nearly always resulted in the need for another case. Now, when I do an upgrade, I reuse the case but pass on my MB and CPU etc to one of my boys.

Please don't be offended; it simply is not what I need for this application. It's too fukkin' big & too fukkin' heavy, it is designed to house shitloads of *yukkk!* spinning rust and optical drives, and it is designed to flow through from front to back, which is the exact opposite of what I want for this build.

My case has room for triple 140mm rads top and front with filters, 140mm rear fan, plus it has 400mm x 120mm of filter on the bottom. It is exactly the right size for this build, not too big or too small.

I have built dozens of daily driver PCs in cases just like your Corsair... and for a PC I don't plan to move a inch for a decade, that is the just kind of case I'd go for.  :-+

But not for my VR gaming machine.

Cheers,

mnem
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:25:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86073 on: March 23, 2021, 07:20:22 pm »
Either he just ended it or the high bidder offered him more off-ebay to "sell" it to him early.

This is exactly what I was thinking. A local buyer offered him cash that would've been more than he could expect from the auction after eBay/BidPlonk fees.

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86074 on: March 23, 2021, 07:25:54 pm »
Probably. Bastard. If you’re not happy with the end price being low put a decent starting price on it  :palm:

Currently dealing with a fucking drama queen at work. Turns out when you make someone accountable it turns them into a raging shit cunt.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf