Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16874124 times)

themadhippy, Vgkid and 95 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86025 on: March 23, 2021, 12:51:53 pm »
grabbed a Z390 board for the CPU and memory (plus case/PSU) I still have floating around. 85 quid new which I'd say is half way ok...

Plus a couple of SSDs.

As a side note, Adata apparently posted a replacement SSD via TNT. Great joy. 4 months or so for an SSD replacement. Yay ...

So, anybody in need of a PC ? got a load of spare parts that will easily build a system.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86026 on: March 23, 2021, 12:52:24 pm »
did anybody ever measure the output of that Spyropyro Death device ?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86027 on: March 23, 2021, 01:04:50 pm »
I have the Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, its a beautiful case to look at and to work on, but is huge and heavy, but there is a ton of space inside for whatever cooling, size of power supply and graphic cards you want to use, no restrictions whatsoever, I got mine in 2013, and it is still available today.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/corsair-obsidian-series-750d-full-tower-case/cc-9011035-ww.html?utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Kelkoo
      Ewwww..... that's a server case. No tempered glass side/front, no PSU basement/channel... all those exposed 5.25 in bays...

And the airflow is all wrong for a dual-radiator build. You can't do a reverse-flow build so both rads get fresh air. I mean sure, it's fine for a server. That you're going to stick in the back of a closet, or under a desk. It is NOT a gamer case, or designed for the bits a gamer (in my case, VR) uses.

mnem
 :-/O
So with a glass sided case how do you comply with ICES-003 and not contravene section 4(3) of the Radiocommunication Act?  >:D

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my awesome Beat Saber beatdown...  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #86028 on: March 23, 2021, 01:15:03 pm »

I quite loved my 80-something 242DL; burnt-orange paint, styled steel wheels, hideous houndstooth interior accents and all. Fukkin' indestructible, and would start every morning with just a bump of the key as long as you A) kept a battery less than 3 years old in it and 2) kept a lambda sensor less than 3 years old in it. They were quite finicky aboot the voltage delivered to the ECU, and any real voltage drop during cranking would get you a great big from the thing. I think the lambda sensor thing was due to the fact of cheap crappy Chinese parts being all that was available at the time. :-//

mnem

The 80s 240 models are only possible to destroy via corrosion. They rust enthusiastically. There's one 1970s MY that's even worse though, the first year they used environmentally sensible paint. There are no cars left from that batch.

I learnt to drive in a red 1982 245GL, stick shift. It's still "childhood memories" -- especially the CLICK from the reverse gear lockout as reverse is disengaged once one's out of the driveway.

My children only remember the light blue 2001 V70 we've got now. I'll probably have to keep it forever. It's not worth much as exchange if I buy another used V70, so that might be possible. CAPEX  per km driven is 2,88 cents at the moment. Quite OK. (OPEX is another thing...)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86029 on: March 23, 2021, 01:20:54 pm »
...I try to grab high quality cases. I only grab cooler master cases if they are less than 20€ new. Normally I go for Fractal Design, Corsair, Bequiet, but only if I can grab them for a reasonable amount of money (i.e. less than 50% of MSRP). Unfortunately due to this unholy permanent lockdown madness my source has dried up (which means that I am currently not buying cases or other stuff)

Yeah, sure if I had access to those prices I'd probably go that route too. As I'm one of those poor slobs stuck paying retail, I have to shop for features and price.  :-DD

Honestly, the cheaper cases often have a lot more of the newer features in a single unit than the "big names" do, as they have much higher turnover and product evolution is much quicker. They don't linger selling a single design for a fukkin' decade, long after the needs of modern components are no longer being served by that design. :palm:

Having tested every bit of wiring in my Matrexx70 case in my son's new PC, I can only conclude that either the lack of proper grounding in my case was the cause of the MB failure (which legitimately, the ground fills on the MB should be robust enough to make moot) or I just drew the short straw re: random component failure. :-// That is why we have warranty on this shit.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:32:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86030 on: March 23, 2021, 01:31:52 pm »
re computer cases:
I hate blinkenlights that are only there for *bling* and serve no additional purpose.
A light should carry information. In the christmas trees of computer cases the stuff distracts from actual information carrying lights. Which is a no go and tiresome if you actually have to "work" with that stuff (see cockpit blinking lights on boats, airplanes, etc ...)

No blinken. Pale bloo lichten. I loathe unicorn barf with a passion rivaling that of a Viking landing party. ;)

mnem

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86031 on: March 23, 2021, 01:32:02 pm »
Just a point on EMC and OEM PC builds. The general assumption is if all the components are independently tested then the final assembly is as well. Under EMC Directive at least if all components are CE marked then job done. If your device is found not to be compliant then push the problem upstream.

No refering to you but the assumption- it's total  :bullshit: bullshit.
A. Components should not be CE marked (there are exceptions like safety switches, but not relevant here)
B. Unless you use the exact configuration used for testing you can't ensure compliance.
C. It is the manufacturer or importer who is responsible for compliance. If you/they get fined good luck trying to get the board suplier to cover your cost. You certainly can't pass the prosecution on to them, they will soon point out the components do not have to comply, see A.
D. How do you CE mark a case for EMC just sit it in a chamber with no power  :palm: (the case is vital to PC EMC)

Even if an OEM has correctly designed manfactured and test a product and it is compliant they have to show onging production is compliant. This included ensuring any changes in component specifications do not havee an adverse effect.

The big issue is there is virtually no enforcement and in th UK the agency charged with enforcement has no inhouse expertise or funding to get it.   :rant:

There is a story that HP had trouble with EMC on some VME systems, reportd by he users. Long story short due to local regulations the grounding finger strip on front panels of cards made in europe had different plating to those from the USA. All EU or all USA card stups were fine but if you mixed cards there wew poor bonding and passive intermodulation problems! Even when you try hard it can still fail.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:42:34 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86032 on: March 23, 2021, 01:35:37 pm »
Different note
Dodgy webview plugin for android issued yesterday if you Samsung or othe android device keeps crashing apps get an update from play store.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86033 on: March 23, 2021, 01:39:04 pm »
It just auto installed ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86034 on: March 23, 2021, 01:41:22 pm »
Just a point on EMC and OEM PC builds. The general assumption is if all the components are independently tested then the final assembly is as well. Under EMC Directive at least if all components are CE marked then job done. If your device is found not to be compliant then push the problem upstream.

A. Components should not be CE marked (there are exceptions like safety switches, but not relevant here)
B. Unless you use the exact configuration used for testing you can't ensure compliance.
C. It is the manufacturer or importer who is responsible for compliance. If you/they get fined good luck trying to get the board suplier to cover your cost. You certainly can't pass the prosecution on to them, they will soon point out the components do not have to comply, see A.
D. How do you CE mark a case for EMC just sit it in a chamber with no power  :palm: (the case is vital to PC EMC)

Even if an OEM has correctly desigined manfactured and test a product and it is compliant they have to show onging production is compliant. This included ensuring any changes in component specifications do not havee an adverse effect.

The big issue is there is virtually no enforcement and in th UK the agency charged with enforcement has no inhouse expertise or funding to get it.   :rant:

There is a story that HP had trouble with EMC on some VME systems, reportd by he users. Long story short due to local regulations the grounding finger strip on front panels of cards made in europe had different plating to those from the USA. All EU or all USA card stups were fine but if you mixed cards there wew poor bonding and passive intermodulation problems! Even when you try hard it can still fail.

Well aware it’s bullshit but that’s the line you get fed.

Ofcom won’t enforce anything as they sold all their kit off a few years back  :-//

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86035 on: March 23, 2021, 01:41:51 pm »
Farnell update. 3 part shipment. Least wanted / useful parts arrived. Next is "shipping label generated" and of course the most needed parts are in the 3 lot which is "shipping info not available"  |O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86036 on: March 23, 2021, 01:46:36 pm »
I may change my order to Mouser  :-DD

Did anyone get their Mouser stuff in the end?

Edit: well that's screwed anyway because they won't ship flux pens airmail  :palm: :palm: :palm:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:54:31 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #86037 on: March 23, 2021, 01:59:08 pm »
My last order from Mouser arrived completely. Only issue: a little bit late. I But I think, this issue has been resolved now.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86038 on: March 23, 2021, 02:00:03 pm »
Nothing to do with TEA but something I have never Lasered before  >:D 40% power and 300mm/second - needs less power and better jigging.
Laser soldering?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86039 on: March 23, 2021, 02:03:56 pm »
The people being interfered with do :box:
How does this interference manifest itself?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86040 on: March 23, 2021, 02:06:03 pm »
I pulled the trigger on the Farnell order with the electrolytics & decoder chips for the Tek 492 SA and some other bits yesterday. Got order confirmation email with note "your order may be spilt and delivered from one of our european warehouses" Sure enough package arrived today with half the capacitors and a P channel MOSFET. That project will have to wait until the N channel makes it through the brexit mess.  :--
Yeah, that is a standard now on their confirmation emails, but so far I have not been affected by it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86041 on: March 23, 2021, 02:07:49 pm »
Oh joy. Starting to worry about my farnell basket now.  :palm:

Still waiting for the 3478A to turn up to top it off on RIFAs and battery.
Don't you have the manual to give you the values of the rifas and the battery size number?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86042 on: March 23, 2021, 02:11:09 pm »
   Nothing to do with TEA but something I have never Lasered before  >:D 40% power and 300mm/second - needs less power and better jigging.
Laser soldering?

Removing existing solder mask, per pic. Now as to what nefarious deeds bean has in mind with this exercise... no telling. If we see a mushroom cloud emanating from the great down under in the next few dayzz, you know it dinn't go well.  :-DD

mnem
*tzzzzzt...*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86043 on: March 23, 2021, 02:12:39 pm »
Farnell update. 3 part shipment. Least wanted / useful parts arrived. Next is "shipping label generated" and of course the most needed parts are in the 3 lot which is "shipping info not available"  |O

So... SNAFU then...?

mnem
 :o

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86044 on: March 23, 2021, 02:15:10 pm »
Oh joy. Starting to worry about my farnell basket now.  :palm:

Still waiting for the 3478A to turn up to top it off on RIFAs and battery.
Don't you have the manual to give you the values of the rifas and the battery size number?

Yeah want to double check. Anyway problem solved. It arrived  :-+. Seems in fairly good condition. Appears to work fine. Cal is good and it was still sealed with cal stickers  :-+

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86045 on: March 23, 2021, 02:15:44 pm »

Typically incorrect operation of systems that use radio receivers.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86046 on: March 23, 2021, 02:17:19 pm »
did anybody ever measure the output of that Spyropyro Death device ?

Ummm... which one? I lost count a couple years back...  :o

mnem
"Just a little UV here..." (while burning through a pie tin with a LASER pistol)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #86047 on: March 23, 2021, 02:21:17 pm »

Insanely elevated noise floor on HF, for instance.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86048 on: March 23, 2021, 02:30:00 pm »

Even if an OEM has correctly designed manfactured and test a product and it is compliant they have to show onging production is compliant. This included ensuring any changes in component specifications do not havee an adverse effect.

You should look not look into some of the RF gear commonly used and sold OTC for RC modeling. 5.8 GHz VTX especially. :o

You'd have a shit-fit conniption and hemorrhage to death on the spot.  :scared:

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86049 on: March 23, 2021, 02:34:16 pm »
re computer cases:
I hate blinkenlights that are only there for *bling* and serve no additional purpose.
A light should carry information. In the christmas trees of computer cases the stuff distracts from actual information carrying lights. Which is a no go and tiresome if you actually have to "work" with that stuff (see cockpit blinking lights on boats, airplanes, etc ...)

No blinken. Pale bloo lichten. I loathe unicorn barf with a passion rivaling that of a Viking landing party. ;)

mnem

Hmm, this guy does not seem to rate your case as having good airflow, more of a blingy case than a good decent case.

Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf