Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17715738 times)

tautech and 110 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85950 on: March 22, 2021, 08:18:14 pm »
Sweet - another HP instrument number page.   :D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #85951 on: March 22, 2021, 08:19:56 pm »
Quick actual TE thing. I've started doing a full checkout on the D755 and it looks good so far. The only issue I've identified is the intensity is badly set up which is leading to inadequate blanking on flyback. Evidence suggests a meddler has been at the intensity controls. Will see if I can cal that out...

Edit: oh and timebase and amplitude are all over the shit but are proportional at least so it's just drifted cal rather than broken stuff.

Ahh yes hello old friend....D83 days.....
Looks like you have a good few adjustments to do however they are all simple enough. Trace rotation would be the first one I did as that shit drives me nuts !

BTW, what is option 66 ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85952 on: March 22, 2021, 08:21:09 pm »
Yes, and now you're back to being upset with them for acting like a corporation selling a luxury commodity rather than a public utility.

They don't have to do business the way you want them to. And all the lawsuits do is cement their position as a private club product, thereby ensuring those they cater to feel like they're fucking special. Add another dozen lawsuits, add another dozen dollars to the price of the cheapest models. All you're doing is pushing them further and further out of reach.

No matter how much you miss your Windows phone, expecting Apple to take their place is sheer folly. They made their market out of whole cloth, by being what rich people want. They don't care if you and I can't afford the product, and they don't have to care either. Period.

And then you bring up the king of Product Abandonment, Samsung, as an example of taking care of customers...? Puhhhh-leeeeze.  :palm:

mnem
*punt!*
:palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
You're putting a completely different slant on things, you could not further from the truth if you really tried, I don't want Apple to replace the Windows Phone, I never have and never said that either. I just liked the Windows phone when I had one and liked the features built into the OS and the camera did have some unique features that liked.

When it comes to it, I'm extremely happy with my current Huawei phone and that will continue to be my daily driver and the camera on it is superb, trust me. If I spend my money on something, then that thing becomes mine to do what I want to do with it, I don't expect or appreciate the maker deciding that they will remove my right to recharge my phone as a result of their ultra care package as you see it, or as I see it, building that wall around their garden even higher.

I have never seen in any agreement when you buy something that you cannot take it apart or anything. If I was leasing the item, fair enough, but I'm not. But clearly if you do take it apart and break it then you forfeit the right to a free repair and that is how it should be and in my defence (not that I've taken it apart), it is now almost 6 years old and long passed its warranty period.

Apart from, as someone else once said, you always put your view on everything as the definitive answer, you change your suit to suit yourself. I say this because this is the Dwagon we are talking about here is it not, and that Dwagon that we all love and is normally so anti corporation and establishment as its possible to get, even moving to the GWN to escape corruption in the USA  :-DD :-DD

Lets draw a line in the sand here and move on, I refuse to enter into an argument over something neither of us has any control over.  ;)

This is the nutshell. Something neither of us have any control over.

I bought a new iPud for my daughter expecting to get at least 4 years out of it, being it was brand-new. When it died well short of that, I got mad... at first at them for them for acting like a corporation, but in truth I was deflecting the blame from myself. Hating a corporation for acting like a corporation is like hating a fish for living in the water.

I expected them to provide the premium dick-sucking service even tho I hadn't paid for it, then got mad at them because they didn't. Bottom line is I could've bought fAppleCare, but I was sure nothing would happen to MY iPud, what with me taking care of it and it living in a OtterBox from minute one. :palm:

But all of that grief and frustration was my own fault. For expecting a corporation to not act like a corporation.

And you know what? I've learned my lesson. Next time Apple makes a offer like the Christmas 2018 iPud for $329, I'll probably buy one. Or even two. But I will also buy the premium dick-sucking service, and keep it as in force long as I plan to keep the device. Or at least as long as it costs less than a good condition working used iWTF-ever. ;)

mnem
"ooooooh.....shi-i-i-iny-y-y-y-y!!!"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:28:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85953 on: March 22, 2021, 08:33:29 pm »
Quick actual TE thing. I've started doing a full checkout on the D755 and it looks good so far. The only issue I've identified is the intensity is badly set up which is leading to inadequate blanking on flyback. Evidence suggests a meddler has been at the intensity controls. Will see if I can cal that out...

Edit: oh and timebase and amplitude are all over the shit but are proportional at least so it's just drifted cal rather than broken stuff.

Looks like you have a good few adjustments to do however they are all simple enough. Trace rotation would be the first one I did as that shit drives me nuts !

BTW, what is option 66 ?

Ah yes. Trace rotation sorted. As is intensity which was a simple pot tweak. Plenty of adjustment range in the intensity so it looks like nothing has drifted. It's the later revision with the Mullard VR series resistors fortunately  :phew:

Looking better already after ten minutes on the bench:

The picture doesn't do it justice. Pin sharp.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #85954 on: March 22, 2021, 08:45:15 pm »
Preparing the inventory for the relocation company.
Yes I have a Keithley 2001 and yes it costs new 6603.80 USD inc. taxes.  ^-^

I test them to see if they ask about my Keysight Oscilloscope MSOX3104T with SW Bundle License which goes for 21865.25 USD  :popcorn:
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #85955 on: March 22, 2021, 08:46:20 pm »
Sweet - another HP instrument number page.   :D

-Pat

Such beauty! Must wake my Solartron and snap a pic of it.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85957 on: March 22, 2021, 08:55:54 pm »

But up until this morning I felt like I had. Back spasms returned with a vengeance so bad that I almost called ambulance services. But I feel I've finally turned a corner on this and today almost pain free. Taking it easy and even though I have a that Type 1A1 plug-in needing cleaning and the transistors for the Type 321A not touching any of that until at least tomorrow. The replacement round rubber thing showed up from T(i)re Rack.com and I'm going to be calling my son to help me getting that and the flat down to my mechanic. Also possibly get the Type 547 up here and on the cart.

I'll tell you. Back problems suck BIG TIME.  :scared: :phew:

There... FTFY.  >:D

No, seriously tho... Uggh. I hate to hear of friends suffering the way I have. Take their advice. Take my advice... take is extra-easy for much longer than you think you need. It is so easy to re-injure right after an initial injury... and nobody ever does take it extra-easy... and they always wish they had. :palm:

But I'm still gonna tell you to, anyways. Just in case it works. Like it dinn't with me.  :-DD

mnem
*hobble-hobble... shuffle-shuffle... scuttle-scuttle...*
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:57:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85959 on: March 22, 2021, 09:00:35 pm »
Heads up for UK people. Screwfix's line of cheap mains plugs has turned to shit. I've just thrown two away. Screw clamps are drilled slightly offset so it's impossible to clamp the conductor without it slipping out of the hole  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #85960 on: March 22, 2021, 09:23:36 pm »

BTW, what is option 66 ?

Ah yes. Trace rotation sorted. As is intensity which was a simple pot tweak. Plenty of adjustment range in the intensity so it looks like nothing has drifted. It's the later revision with the Mullard VR series resistors fortunately  :phew:

Oh nice.  :)
All the M ohm resistors in the D83 mainframe I had were toast and drifted way outta spec.  ::)
IIRC there were some catches setting the intensity just right in order to get sufficient trace brightness when the dual timebase is used.

Hope it serves you well.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85961 on: March 22, 2021, 09:25:24 pm »
Urrrk.

Testing revealed no continuity between any of the 4 major metal chassis components of my new PC case, even though they are in principle connected. None. Nada. Zilch. Also true of the 2nd chassis, still waiting in the box to go back to Amazon. :palm:

Black may be beautiful, but black epoxy paint is a fuggin' bitch.  |O

mnem
 :-/O

So after tearing carefully removing all the plastic bits off my case, I find that every major assembly lap joint in the panels has at least one hole present in the outer layer, but not populated by screw or rivet. As the case is assembled with pop rivets, I can only assume that the engineer who designed the case put them there for screws to ensure proper grounding of all chassis panels, but some dillweed bean-counter decided they didn't need to be there and omitted the manufacturing step to cut costs.  :palm:

After installing the usual 6-32 self-tapping/serrated shoulder screws in all those unpopulated holes, there is now proper continuity to ground across the entire case and all metal parts.

Fuckwits.

mnem
 |O

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85962 on: March 22, 2021, 09:26:06 pm »
Preparing the inventory for the relocation company.
Yes I have a Keithley 2001 and yes it costs new 6603.80 USD inc. taxes.  ^-^

I test them to see if they ask about my Keysight Oscilloscope MSOX3104T with SW Bundle License which goes for 21865.25 USD  :popcorn:

I had fun when a car drove into mine (Iwas stationary at lights) and I had a Tektronix 491 Spectrum analyser in the boot. Analyser front panel controls were damaged and insurance wanted a quote for repair. Tek obliged with a "Not Reparable" and quote for a "suitable replacement" 2794  at £25k odd without seeing the SA.  Iasked for £3000 to get a second hand SA. The asked me to send it to their "expert" who turned out to be a TV repair shop who called me for help. I sent him the Tek quote and also a quote for a used 492 from Johns Radio. H told the inrance company it was BER and they then tried to claim it was "professional" equipment and I should not have it in my car as it was not insured for work. I said it was my hobby, I was on my way to a friend to check their equipment and in any case their (at fault) driver having no business cover was irrelevant to my car, and my insurance did cover business anyway. They settled on £2000 for a used analyser (I could not be bothered arguing, I'd only paid £300 for 2 491 and got one working, the other had a blown mixer). About 3 months later the TV shop clled and asked if I wanted the damaged SA back or should the just dump it. I had it back of course and put the mixer into the other one.......

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85963 on: March 22, 2021, 09:29:22 pm »
Urrrk.

Testing revealed no continuity between any of the 4 major metal chassis components of my new PC case, even though they are in principle connected. None. Nada. Zilch. Also true of the 2nd chassis, still waiting in the box to go back to Amazon. :palm:

mnem

So after tearing carefully removing all the plastic bits off my case, I find that every major assembly lap joint in the panels has at least one hole present in the outer layer, but not populated by screw or rivet. As the case is assembled with pop rivets, I can only assume that the engineer who designed the case put them there for screws to ensure proper grounding of all chassis panels, but some dillweed bean-counter decided they didn't need to be there and omitted the manufacturing step to cut costs.  :palm:

After installing the usual 6-32 self-tapping/serrated shoulder screws in all those unpopulated holes, there is now proper continuity to ground across the entire case and all metal parts.

Fuckwits.

mnem
 |O

That case won't be doing much to keep the EMI down then.  :scared:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85964 on: March 22, 2021, 09:33:21 pm »

BTW, what is option 66 ?

Oh nice.  :)
All the M ohm resistors in the D83 mainframe I had were toast and drifted way outta spec.  ::)
IIRC there were some catches setting the intensity just right in order to get sufficient trace brightness when the dual timebase is used.

Hope it serves you well.  :)

Yes this one seems like a good one (touch wood). Hopefully it'll be more successful than the "ass transplant" D83...

Reminder of the carnage...

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85965 on: March 22, 2021, 09:33:55 pm »
Cleaned up the HP 5216A today, fitted the missing readout bulb, hp logo and replaced the Macroni knob with a slightly knackered HP one.

Before & after pictures, test source in the second picture was the Racal 836 standard output.

Some pictures of the insides showing the boards fitted all over the place.

On the left of this picture is a reminder that Cinch is a brand of connector and not some shitty website flogging vehicles (really fed up of hearing their adverts shitverts on the shed radio).

David
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:42:39 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85966 on: March 22, 2021, 09:36:00 pm »
Looking good. That Marconi knob was completely wrong. Looking much better now  :-+

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85967 on: March 22, 2021, 09:44:52 pm »
It was only needed for a quick check when it arrived (was missing & stuck in stop position) to see if it required major repairs or not, took a bit more searching for the proper part. A previous owner had already replaced several of the unreliable display driver IC's

David
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:47:17 pm by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85968 on: March 22, 2021, 10:11:00 pm »
Heads up for UK people. Screwfix's line of cheap mains plugs has turned to shit. I've just thrown two away. Screw clamps are drilled slightly offset so it's impossible to clamp the conductor without it slipping out of the hole  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
Hmm, I buy from CPC https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/9248-blk-3a/plug-3a-black-quickfit/dp/PL13153 if you buy 10+ they are 94p inc VAT
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85969 on: March 22, 2021, 10:16:31 pm »

Yes this one seems like a good one (touch wood). Hopefully it'll be more successful than the "ass transplant" D83...

Reminder of the carnage...

Been back to Ikea then? they look nice
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85970 on: March 22, 2021, 10:17:45 pm »
Gah no that was two years ago. Vastly simplified since then.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85971 on: March 22, 2021, 10:20:33 pm »
Urrrk.

mnem

Fuckwits.

mnem
 |O

That case won't be doing much to keep the EMI down then.  :scared:

Glass side & front covers kindof ensure that.  ;)

I'm a lot more concerned with the potential for the MB to be the one thing tying all the grounds together. That is not how a PC is meant to be assembled. :palm:

mnem
Pun intended. >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85972 on: March 22, 2021, 10:22:18 pm »
Which case vendor is this so I can not buy their shit?

Using Fractal and Cooler Master here. I notice both are riveted then painted.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #85973 on: March 22, 2021, 10:28:54 pm »
Using Fractal mostly, Cooler Master, Corsair and bequiet ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85974 on: March 22, 2021, 10:30:03 pm »
Hmm, I buy from CPC https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/9248-blk-3a/plug-3a-black-quickfit/dp/PL13153 if you buy 10+ they are 94p inc VAT

There is always more than enough free plugs attached to barely used stuff that people chuck out at my brothers place.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf