Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919746 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85750 on: March 19, 2021, 11:05:12 pm »
It’s never quite that simple. There is an important scenario you need to consider which is invalidation of measurements. If you find your calibration fails then the certainty of measurements that have been made since the previous calibration should be called into question. At that point the device is usually returned to the client until their investigation is complete. If the instrument is found to have violated the worst case specification drift then it’s usually sent back to the manufacturer for repair of in warranty or scrapped if not. If it’s expected then it may be shelved as “for indication only” and used for casual work that doesn’t require traceable measurements, or send for adjustment.  Or in the case of where I worked chucked in a pile of suspect stuff and thrown in a skip about 2 years later because it was cheaper to replace it than play crap tennis.

Regarding the calibration process, this is mostly automated. The reason the cal houses turned down the 3478A is probably because they don’t have any programs for their kit. The RS guys probably downloaded a PDF from somewhere random, poked at it like some monkeys around a monolith and gave up.

That still does not make sense, if calibration does not mean making adjustments, and that the meter has to be returned to the manufacturers for repairs to be made if economical to do so or scrapped etc, then why do the manufacturers bother to build in "Cal Enable" switches and provide detailed instructions on how to make the adjustments to bring the instrument back to being within specification and therefore calibration?

These instruments were never intended to be in the hands of hobbyists, they were all at the time classified as laboratory / professional grade instruments.

In the case of the 3478A, I successfully managed to re-calibrate it after losing the cal data from the RAM, so that it did not disagree with either of my Flukes (8840A and 8842A) or my, at the time brand new Brymen 867S and have also since managed to re-calibrate my BlackStar 4503 after it suffered massive contamination on the circuit board from its battery backed RAM when its fitted battery spewed its guts everywhere. Both cases involved using the Cal Enable function and following procedures in the SM.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85751 on: March 19, 2021, 11:10:18 pm »
The cal enable switch is to stop dum dum end users screwing up the instruments. Same as why the put the trimpots on the inside on older kit  :-DD

Have a look at the more recent instrument service manuals - they are structured as "calibration", "verification", "adjustment" etc.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #85752 on: March 19, 2021, 11:38:06 pm »
Re calibration, I am on bd's side.
All instruments drift and do not ever give truly accurate readings, what counts is that you know how far out the instrument can be.
You end up with the errors on errors problem with the Calibration lab having the biggest headache. Even a brand new instrument is not a lot of 'accuracy type' use until its drift and error range can be established by multiple calibrations over time - I think this is the main reason why most instruments don't get adjusted as the calculations of error and drift go crazy.
If you look at the specs of the 3458 a supposedly 8 1/2 digit meter, it is only spec to 8ppm/yr ie ~5 digits of real accuracy BUT  with repeated calibration cycles confidence can approach the 8 digits. The 8 1/2 is really its transfer spec ie 1 hr or so!
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85753 on: March 20, 2021, 12:04:25 am »
My only remark on the calibration issue: If "calibration" really means "calibration and adjustment" as some keep on insisting on thinking, despite many sage and experienced words to the contrary, what does a cal lab do when you send them a steel ruler to calibrate? How would they adjust the markings on the ruler? (Before anyone asks, yes you can send a steel ruler to be calibrated. I've even used a steel ruler with a cal sticker on it.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #85754 on: March 20, 2021, 12:34:34 am »
Calibration is not magical but does encompass a number of steps.

Accuracy verification.....against manufacturers datasheet.
Adjustment..........if required to meet manufacturers spec.
Cart cert creation listing instruments used and their traceable Cal certs.

With sufficient precision in the calibration process instrument drift can be quantified.

Adjustment is a whole nuther rabbit hole where in old instruments it was done with physical adjustment whereas the modern instrument use closed case adjustments where a PC script controls the calibration instruments and adjust the reference points in the instrument being calibrated......a totally automated process.

The few instruments we've supplied to Cal labs get regularly checked for verification of accuracy and nothing more as I've never been asked to provide the Cal scripts that allow for closed box automated calibration.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #85755 on: March 20, 2021, 12:47:09 am »
Incidently just rewatched Dave's video on the 3478A and from 10:30 on he talks about the battery backed RAM and if you disconnect the battery or short it out you will lose the calibration constants  and will then need to spend more money then you paid for the meter to get it traceable calibrated once again. So in his view, having a meter calibrated does indeed involve having adjustments made to the meter to return it to the design specifications again and not just verifying and noting any drift that the user should take into account when using said meter. So Dave and I both share the view that calibration is not a case of checking against references and recording the differences, but actually includes making the necessary adjustments to make the meter reflect the references applied to it.   

I think if you asked Dave for his current perspective (not 2013 Dave) and in particular after visiting the Keysight Cal Labs several years later you will get a different answer. In the case of the 3478A, 34401A etc they all have a 24 Hour spec. IF one or more ranges don't meet this spec and only IF you agree after being notified they will perform an adjustment on that range or ranges. The only other time an Adjustment would be done would be if the OWNER requested it.

If it meets the 24 hour Spec then it will be issued a Certificate of Calibration.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85756 on: March 20, 2021, 02:28:35 am »
Mini rant: Kubernetes is Pandora’s box incarnate. No one knows entirely how it works. No one knows entirely what it does. But the outcome is nearly always mayhem and chaos. Much like “The Cube”, it is written by lots of people who independently concentrate on their little bits of the machine unaware of each other and the sum of the parts resulting in the destructive potential for the cumulative pile of mistakes in each part. From synchronising state across several partitions, through Rube Goldberg chains of events, struggling through eventual inconsistency and landing on mutant vocabulary they have succeeded only in removing understanding and determinism from computing. When all hell breaks loose you cannot reason about fixing it because of the inane complexity because you can’t communicate the problem nor rationalise it due to the non determinism.

At this point I am going to sit back, buy test gear to play with and watch it all fucking burn and hope I get paid to pretend I give a shit.

If this is entire thing means nothing to you then you are lucky bastards.

And med, nice score. Even if it cost you a tyre ;)

For a moment there I thought you were talking aboot Windoze and AD; then I noticed that not once did you curse PowerShell... >:D

mnem

gimme gimme gimme !!!

Okaaayyy... here's one of your very own...

mnem
*toddles off to do... something, even if it's wrong...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85757 on: March 20, 2021, 03:43:44 am »
My only remark on the calibration issue: If "calibration" really means "calibration and adjustment" as some keep on insisting on thinking, despite many sage and experienced words to the contrary, what does a cal lab do when you send them a steel ruler to calibrate? How would they adjust the markings on the ruler? (Before anyone asks, yes you can send a steel ruler to be calibrated. I've even used a steel ruler with a cal sticker on it.)

This is very true. My ESI RV722 voltage divider is working exactly like that. The divider is calibrated but no adjustments are possible on the instrument. Instead a chart like this is produced for each decades.

You then use the chart to adjust your measurement after the fact. Technically you could also do that with your multimeter and the calibration report. Instrument adjustments are really just convenience.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 04:04:43 am by Kosmic »

Offline Runco990

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85758 on: March 20, 2021, 04:15:18 am »
I'm not a big poster, more of a professional lurker...  But here's a Rubidium standard I scored.... for free!  2 new Lead acid gel cells later and some cleaning..... 

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Ero-Shan, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85759 on: March 20, 2021, 04:42:51 am »
I'm not a big poster, more of a professional lurker...  But here's a Rubidium standard I scored.... for free!  2 new Lead acid gel cells later and some cleaning.....

Its ok we allow lurkers and Test Equipment perverts too  ;) Nice add on to your gear too  :-+

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #85760 on: March 20, 2021, 04:44:17 am »
Hi Runco, Efratom is a great bit of gear, can't beat that price either👍
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85761 on: March 20, 2021, 06:12:12 am »
That ugly discussion of "calibration" has reared it's ugly head again. I chose to stay far away.  :-DD

Anyway, I pulled the Type 1A1 plug-in out of the Type 547 to give it an inspection and cleaning/dexoit. I'm going to install it in the Type 535A and see if it works. Even though this is a 50MHz plug-in and the Type 535A is only 15MHz B/W it will work.

Also, the transistors for the Type 321A will indeed arrive Saturday. For once USPS is on time.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #85762 on: March 20, 2021, 06:23:03 am »
Anyway, I pulled the Type 1A1 plug-in out of the Type 547 to give it an inspection and cleaning/dexoit.
Now the 547 is suddenly 2kg lighter !
Pull the timebase next and you might be able to carefully manage the mainframe on your own.
Mind that back Jack !  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85763 on: March 20, 2021, 08:52:34 am »
My back is why I didn’t buy that 547 here a while ago  :-DD

Nice to watch someone else playing with one though  :-DD

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85764 on: March 20, 2021, 09:20:28 am »
Incidently just rewatched Dave's video on the 3478A and from 10:30 on he talks about the battery backed RAM and if you disconnect the battery or short it out you will lose the calibration constants  and will then need to spend more money then you paid for the meter to get it traceable calibrated once again. So in his view, having a meter calibrated does indeed involve having adjustments made to the meter to return it to the design specifications again and not just verifying and noting any drift that the user should take into account when using said meter. So Dave and I both share the view that calibration is not a case of checking against references and recording the differences, but actually includes making the necessary adjustments to make the meter reflect the references applied to it.   

Even Dave admits that he sometimes makes mistakes in his videos. :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #85765 on: March 20, 2021, 09:26:48 am »
My back is why I didn’t buy that 547 here a while ago  :-DD

Nice to watch someone else playing with one though  :-DD

There's an OK-looking (though not shown powered on) 549 over here, collection only. Currently at 1000SEK ($115ish). I've bought a 400H VTVM from that seller. He's buying estates and selling them, claiming zero TE knowledge, but there's been a steady trickle of vintage TE from him. Probably got a mother-load estate that he's parting out slowly.

It's 330km away, so a full day road trip. I think I'll pass.

Also, a 5245L turned up from another seller. That's more like it.

watchingly,

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85766 on: March 20, 2021, 09:30:30 am »
Ooh nice  :-+

No discord tonight. My mother had a cardiac ablation done yesterday so I’m over there this evening until late. Seems to have worked though so far.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85767 on: March 20, 2021, 09:39:44 am »

No discord tonight. My mother had a cardiac ablation done yesterday so I’m over there this evening until late. Seems to have worked though so far.

Good News but aging Mothers are still a nuisance   :-DD  :-+ Might see if I have the urge to wet the bed and need to get up for Pain pills and Coffee in the morning....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #85768 on: March 20, 2021, 09:42:55 am »
It’s never quite that simple. There is an important scenario you need to consider which is invalidation of measurements. If you find your calibration fails then the certainty of measurements that have been made since the previous calibration should be called into question. At that point the device is usually returned to the client until their investigation is complete. If the instrument is found to have violated the worst case specification drift then it’s usually sent back to the manufacturer for repair of in warranty or scrapped if not. If it’s expected then it may be shelved as “for indication only” and used for casual work that doesn’t require traceable measurements, or send for adjustment.  Or in the case of where I worked chucked in a pile of suspect stuff and thrown in a skip about 2 years later because it was cheaper to replace it than play crap tennis.

Regarding the calibration process, this is mostly automated. The reason the cal houses turned down the 3478A is probably because they don’t have any programs for their kit. The RS guys probably downloaded a PDF from somewhere random, poked at it like some monkeys around a monolith and gave up.

That still does not make sense, if calibration does not mean making adjustments, and that the meter has to be returned to the manufacturers for repairs to be made if economical to do so or scrapped etc, then why do the manufacturers bother to build in "Cal Enable" switches and provide detailed instructions on how to make the adjustments to bring the instrument back to being within specification and therefore calibration?

These instruments were never intended to be in the hands of hobbyists, they were all at the time classified as laboratory / professional grade instruments.

In the case of the 3478A, I successfully managed to re-calibrate it after losing the cal data from the RAM, so that it did not disagree with either of my Flukes (8840A and 8842A) or my, at the time brand new Brymen 867S and have also since managed to re-calibrate my BlackStar 4503 after it suffered massive contamination on the circuit board from its battery backed RAM when its fitted battery spewed its guts everywhere. Both cases involved using the Cal Enable function and following procedures in the SM.

This a fair point, in that it seems a more accurate description for these switches would be "adjustment enable".
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85769 on: March 20, 2021, 09:52:19 am »
I wish it was that. Wouldn’t be having this discussion now then  :-DD.

A point to note though with some of the instruments. The 3478A and most closed case cal units tend to have the ability to read the cal ram over GPIB when cal is enabled. Part of a more detailed cal process, and full check out of the instrument, is comparing the last recorded cal data with the current one to make sure no one has futzed with the meter or any calibration issues are hardware failure related.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:55:51 am by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #85770 on: March 20, 2021, 10:43:51 am »

Good News but aging Mothers are still a nuisance   :-DD  :-+ Might see if I have the urge to wet the bed and need to get up for Pain pills and Coffee in the morning....

Yeah :( just carted my mother to the hospital in an ambulance.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85771 on: March 20, 2021, 10:48:20 am »
After leaving the electronics hobby at age of 18 and having some test gear contacts at research centers as a programmer I left the stuff and went with consulting where no equipment is needed.  :D

Now I remember these old times and started to fiddle with electronics again and - sure enough - bought some absolutely neccessary test gear.  :-)

Of course I needed a precision PSU and so I got this beautiful old HP6114A.
1198096-0
One of the voltage switches needs cleaning and a 1µF capacitor made a loud chirping noise.
1198100-1

So far I was able to claim this device to be neccessary.

But with a HP5335A I might be touched lighty by the syndrom discussed here.  ;D

I bought it, because it remembers me of those old times, has beautiful big LED numbers and lots of buttons. It is in full working condition but for my needs the DVM and Oscilloscope capabilities would have been sufficient. So its totally useless. The 1-pound Pabst easily outperformes the noise of all other test gear together, except of the Lambda PSU whis is in it's own league noisewise.
1198104-2
Because I like the LEDs lighted up, I replaced the Papst with a rubber mounted Sunon and the noise ist now some 20 db lower. Some glue to fix the power button and some rubber feet (not original - shame to me) added and the HP5335A now adds nicely to the Background of lab pictures.
1198108-31198112-4
Because there are a lot of homeless 5335 on the market I have no bad conscience to give one of them a new and respectful home.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:04:40 am by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, BU508A, med6753, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85772 on: March 20, 2021, 10:53:41 am »

:(. Hope all goes well.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85773 on: March 20, 2021, 11:41:38 am »

:(. Hope all goes well.

Yes, agreed. Hope all goes well.

I had a terrible nights sleep. After pretty much pain free yesterday the spasms returned with a vengeance last night. Still hurting a little this morning and can't sit here for long periods. I doubt I'll be on Discord later today.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85774 on: March 20, 2021, 11:44:59 am »

This is very true. My ESI RV722 voltage divider is working exactly like that. The divider is calibrated but no adjustments are possible on the instrument. Instead a chart like this is produced for each decades.

You then use the chart to adjust your measurement after the fact. Technically you could also do that with your multimeter and the calibration report. Instrument adjustments are really just convenience.

Important points well made by Cerebus and Kosmic.
The same applies to a lot of electrical primary standards like resistance, inductance and the older voltage references. These have no pratical means of routine adjustment.
As has also been said any actual adjustment (as opposed to changing a look-up table or polynomial) will almost certainly affect the stability of the item. Modern closed box calibration of indicating instruments is just automation of the calibration table / graph. In the vast majority cases modern "closed case"adjustment" is not adjustment it is just look-up table changes. About the only exception is the few designs that use "digital potentiometers" basically FET switched resistor arrays with NVRAM. Modern "adjustment" isn't adjustment it's the old calibration chart update hidden in the instrument. Modern users are hidden from the complexities and correct use of terminolgy gets blurred. It's like one of my pet peves, toxic / posionous. Toxins come from orgainisms. Lead is not toxic and ricin is not a poision but common usage has made the two interchanable.

One of my previous day jobs was Quality Manager / Chief Inspector of a fully accredited instrument calibration lab.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf