Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16925929 times)

Vince and 138 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85500 on: March 17, 2021, 05:51:50 pm »

That is why I built DIY microscope with ~40€ chinese C-Mount long-working-distance optic & "Allied Vision" industrial GigE camera.What you see is about working distance. Yes, it is enough to do hot air without angled nozzle.9V battery for scale. GigE does a fine job of 30FPS low latency video to the PC. Magnification is partially set by size of computer monitor >:D
Allied Vision "Demonstration Software" is avaivable from Win x86 to Linux arm_v8 64bit. I tried running it on orangepi - just fine.

Only downside is said cameras are only avaivable sporadic on ebay for ~100€ for 1280x1024. But they are very light sensitive.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' aboot. A lot more than I was willing to spend for my own random use, tho. The G1200 hits the sweet spot for "too cheap not to" vs "actually usable piece of kit".

I know Tony loves his G9... but if he tried the G1200 with its larger work surface and adjustable angle-of-dangle, I think he'd kick the G9 to the curb. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

That's why I went for the USB Andonstar microscope. Why add (and pay for) another LCD screen, when I have a PC close by with a screen more than 10 times the size?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85501 on: March 17, 2021, 06:06:21 pm »
In a sane world, that would be the only salient point. But the difference here is economies of scale vs marketplace, I'll wager.

The G1200 is aimed at the school student/hobbyist/gizmo addict; a much larger market than the USB one intended for professional/semi-professional use. As a result, the G1200, etc can be produced very cheaply, even including a mostly superfluous 5-7" LCD (that costs a few dollars in bulk) compared to a USB only model that will be marketed to a much smaller, more technically savvy market.

Sadly, you can get a better camera and a better elevator and a LCD you don't need, and still pay less simply because the device can be produced in larger quantities per run. :-//

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for yours/which model? I see a number of different USB-only AndonStar models at a huge variance in prices. ???

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:10:46 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85502 on: March 17, 2021, 06:15:01 pm »

Lightning is AC. Pretty sure your cap discharge will be too, for some small fraction of its duration. ;) Also, voltage multiplication from arc-welding inside the transistor's package. :P

mnem

:bullshit: Lighting is DC (static discharge) any AC seen is ringing induced in circuts.

(This is in my professional expertise and I'm not going to comment further on it)
[/quote]

He's just playing with the old trope that "There's no such thing as DC really.". At least I hope he is...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85503 on: March 17, 2021, 06:18:55 pm »

That is why I built DIY microscope with ~40€ chinese C-Mount long-working-distance optic & "Allied Vision" industrial GigE camera.What you see is about working distance. Yes, it is enough to do hot air without angled nozzle.9V battery for scale. GigE does a fine job of 30FPS low latency video to the PC. Magnification is partially set by size of computer monitor >:D
Allied Vision "Demonstration Software" is avaivable from Win x86 to Linux arm_v8 64bit. I tried running it on orangepi - just fine.

Only downside is said cameras are only avaivable sporadic on ebay for ~100€ for 1280x1024. But they are very light sensitive.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' aboot. A lot more than I was willing to spend for my own random use, tho. The G1200 hits the sweet spot for "too cheap not to" vs "actually usable piece of kit".

I know Tony loves his G9... but if he tried the G1200 with its larger work surface and adjustable angle-of-dangle, I think he'd kick the G9 to the curb. ;)

mnem

Bought a Mustool G600 in the past. Was crap. I was not going to repeat the experience with the G1200. The Andonstar is working a lot better.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3077725/#msg3077725
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:34:08 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85504 on: March 17, 2021, 06:26:37 pm »
Yeah, my two were similar ones with different names. Similar experience. Yours has the same exact elevator assembly mine has, only on the smaller workplate like my first. :-//

If I were going to spend more than I did on the G1200 (from another label), it would be a proper commercial-type build with C-mount camera, 8020 chassis, etc. like ch_scr did.

You gotta remember... Andonstar, MusTool, EatMyShortsOptical, etc ALL get their bits & pieces from the same half-dozen (or less) factories. You simply cannot count on any single one of these China-direct labels to ALWAYS BE crap or not crap.

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:35:10 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85505 on: March 17, 2021, 06:29:18 pm »

That's why I went for the USB Andonstar microscope. Why add (and pay for) another LCD screen, when I have a PC close by with a screen more than 10 times the size?

McBryce.

Personally I quite like single use devices that don't need you to futz about with some other bit of kit, even if it's something you're bound to have, to get it working.

I have several spare screens, but getting one out, a power cable, a signal cable and getting it all plugged up is a lot of faffing about compared to "grab, power on, use".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85506 on: March 17, 2021, 06:37:55 pm »

McBryce.

Personally I quite like single use devices that don't need you to futz about with some other bit of kit, even if it's something you're bound to have, to get it working.

I have several spare screens, but getting one out, a power cable, a signal cable and getting it all plugged up is a lot of faffing about compared to "grab, power on, use".

Exactly why I bought an all-in-one unit. I don't use it all the time and it's normally stored somewhere. It's easy enough to deploy on the bench when needed.

The other thing I really like is the articulated lights on the side. Allow you to play with lighting and get the best results.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85507 on: March 17, 2021, 06:39:50 pm »
You gotta remember... Andonstar, MusTool, EatMyShortsOptical, etc ALL get their bits & pieces from the same half-dozen (or less) factories. You simply cannot count on any single one of these China-direct labels to ALWAYS BE crap or not crap.

Yes but Andonstar are clearly requesting better specs than Mustool.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #85508 on: March 17, 2021, 06:42:25 pm »
You guys sucks I have a Mantis.  :-DD
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #85509 on: March 17, 2021, 06:44:10 pm »
BTW this is my top impulse buy ever, not TEA or yeah sort off:

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #85510 on: March 17, 2021, 06:54:58 pm »
@cyclin_al -

Check your PM, dude.
;)

mnem
Done!  :-+

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85511 on: March 17, 2021, 07:12:56 pm »
You'll regret that one; for the same angle-of-dangle issues I had with my first one: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3368968/#msg3368968

The Andonstar easily focuses at a distance > 20cm (yes, I just went measuring it) and can't even focus closer than about 5cm, which is still enough to solder.
Depending on what iron you use, a gas heated one will be a little difficult. At greater distance the object will appear smaller of course, that's where the HDMI comes into play.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85512 on: March 17, 2021, 07:15:33 pm »
You'll regret that one; for the same angle-of-dangle issues I had with my first one: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3368968/#msg3368968

The Andonstar easily focuses at a distance > 20cm (yes, I just went measuring it) and can't even focus closer than about 5cm, which is still enough to solder.
Depending on what iron you use, a gas heated one will be a little difficult. At greater distance the object will appear smaller of course, that's where the HDMI comes into play.
It should be considered that at about 100€ for the chinese c-mount microscope optics a type can be had that has fixed focus distance when changing magnification.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85513 on: March 17, 2021, 07:17:26 pm »
@mnem
I haven't forgotten you. I tried to create a new image with all the newest versions but it failed. The build script stops at 4% and I haven't found out yet why. I'll start another attempt this evening. Keep fingers crossed.

More TEA related: ordered a Siglent SDL1020X-E electronic load from Welectron.      Ordered as well a digital microscope, the Andonstar ADSM302.   

Now it comes the tough part: waiting for their arrival.  ;D

If you're going to buy one of these little all-in-ones, you really need to be able to adjust the angle of attack on the objective; they just cannot get the objective high enough to be out of your way when you're working. The commercial ones are a different story; they have an elevator 30-50cm tall, and they will focus with usable magnification at that elevation.

No rush on the WinBoot image; Thanks for taking the time.  :-+

Cheers,

mnem
*~Lessons Learnt The Hard Way~*

@mnem: I'm with you. But what I didn't mention was this thing I'm planning to use:

With its 900mm length and its sturdyness it gives me any angle at any point I want.  :)
Mounting the microscope on it shouldn't be that hard with some adapter modifications.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85514 on: March 17, 2021, 07:18:32 pm »
Ordered as well a digital microscope, the Andonstar ADSM302.

I, for one, expect a full report on that one when it arrives. I was toying with buying one a while back and gave up trying to make a decision from lack of a reliable source of accurate information on what they're actually like, especially to solder with.

Will do. Anything special I should have an eye on it?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85515 on: March 17, 2021, 07:23:16 pm »

mnem

McBryce.

Because I'm planning to use it also as a mobile device, e.g. when I'm volunteering in the Repair Café when they are open again for the public.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85516 on: March 17, 2021, 07:27:23 pm »
[...]
Because I'm planning to use it also as a mobile device, e.g. when I'm volunteering in the Repair Café when they are open again for the public.
You think you are getting that old? >:D

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #85517 on: March 17, 2021, 07:30:23 pm »

Ooohh.. Had one at a company I worked for some years back. Makes you feel like a solder demi-God. Sometimes I wake at night and silently cry for the loss of it...

... and had a Festool stack at another job. Ah, the things we leave behind..

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85518 on: March 17, 2021, 07:35:57 pm »
[...]
You think you are getting that old? >:D

*harr harr harr*
You bet!

:-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85519 on: March 17, 2021, 07:36:01 pm »
@mnem
I haven't forgotten you. I tried to create a new image with all the newest versions but it failed. The build script stops at 4% and I haven't found out yet why. I'll start another attempt this evening. Keep fingers crossed.

More TEA related: ordered a Siglent SDL1020X-E electronic load from Welectron.      Ordered as well a digital microscope, the Andonstar ADSM302.   

Now it comes the tough part: waiting for their arrival.  ;D

If you're going to buy one of these little all-in-ones, you really need to be able to adjust the angle of attack on the objective; they just cannot get the objective high enough to be out of your way when you're working. The commercial ones are a different story; they have an elevator 30-50cm tall, and they will focus with usable magnification at that elevation.

No rush on the WinBoot image; Thanks for taking the time.  :-+

Cheers,

mnem
*~Lessons Learnt The Hard Way~*

@mnem: I'm with you. But what I didn't mention was this thing I'm planning to use:   

With its 900mm length and its sturdyness it gives me any angle at any point I want.  :) Mounting the microscope on it shouldn't be that hard with some adapter modifications.

Noting just how insanely sensitive the camera is to even the slightest amount of jiggle at these magnifications... and having considerable use of 5x magnifiers on a similar gooseneck...

My immediate reaction to that is   I do hope for your sake that I'm wrong. :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to thaw some chicken butt*

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #85520 on: March 17, 2021, 07:44:29 pm »

Ooohh.. Had one at a company I worked for some years back. Makes you feel like a solder demi-God. Sometimes I wake at night and silently cry for the loss of it...
Yeah them cool things and on a tour of an avionics cadet training school a few years back walked into their milspec soldering lab where there were 15 of them !  :o  :o
And 2 Metcal units at each station too !  :o

They had all the toys....and now have a few more too.  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #85521 on: March 17, 2021, 07:45:44 pm »

Mine wasn't an impulse buy (thought long and hard about it, and had to borrow my friend's Jeep to get it at the time - it wasn't going to fit in the Miata), but I'm very happy with it.  Very accurate, and a pleasure to use.  Have used it to cut aluminum (with the proper blade) on a few occasions, too.  Buy once, cry once.

Crack for woodworkers

-Pat
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:47:29 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85522 on: March 17, 2021, 07:45:49 pm »

You both so belong here.  :-DD

mnem
*sighs sadly, remembering his toolbox held hostage against the Canadian Bureaucracy*

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85523 on: March 17, 2021, 07:48:11 pm »

Bought this one 9 years back, still very satisfied with it:
metabo KGS254M

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #85524 on: March 17, 2021, 07:51:04 pm »

Bought this one 9 years back, still very satisfied with it:
metabo KGS254M

Metabo makes some nice stuff, too - Have SDS hammer drills and angle grinders from them.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf