Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17690487 times)

duckduck and 88 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85275 on: March 15, 2021, 06:28:15 am »
Agreed. Set him up with a PC and some VSTs and let us have the test gear back.

These German guys have it right. They nicked some roadworks for their props. Good band - no love songs! No test gear abused!

Some TV-themed swedes:

A long-lived orchestra: (first work together 1986, I've got vintage TE younger than that)

One sees no "=" key, no Enter key either: (thus equally palatable to those on either side of the dividing slash..)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85276 on: March 15, 2021, 07:31:40 am »
Actually saw Covenant live once back in the early 2000’s. Annoyingly most of the decent bands I find these days rarely tour the UK.

As for the aforementioned PW, they’ve been around forever. Since the early 1990s under the guise of Dust of Basement.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:37:20 am by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85277 on: March 15, 2021, 07:34:23 am »
[

Ho crap I found a video

I hope the asshole shocks himself and fucking dies.  :wtf:

Took the words out of my mouth.

Anyone who sees something functional and thinks “drone machine” should be locked away somewhere there is no technology.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85278 on: March 15, 2021, 07:36:10 am »
   Here you go bd.... I think I may have found a keyboard we can't beat to death...  :-DD

I did actually take a look at those here when I was shopping around. They’re £40 a pop which isn’t bad. The only thing that put me off is I know what cherry reds feel like and I didn’t want any variation. If I bugger this K320 I’ll head in that direction as the pricing is better  :-+

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G4H448Q/

Hey... something I didn't notice on the US site (and they're not listed this way on Amazon.ca; they're listed separately) is that the K556 actually comes in a red switches version!

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Interesting. Next time I bugger one I’m going to have a go at that  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85279 on: March 15, 2021, 09:27:00 am »
[

Ho crap I found a video

Now this is a guy who clearly has zero idea as to what could create audio signals, you only have to watch the way he fiddles with the scopes controls, has no idea as to what he is adjusting does he?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #85280 on: March 15, 2021, 11:40:29 am »
completely off topic but hilarious.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, nixiefreqq, srb1954, tonyalbus

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #85281 on: March 15, 2021, 11:45:14 am »
Pillaging for a replacement fan.

Bit much? :popcorn:

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #85282 on: March 15, 2021, 12:31:02 pm »

Dell has blue leavers this is?
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #85283 on: March 15, 2021, 12:40:06 pm »
Dell ;)

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85284 on: March 15, 2021, 02:25:25 pm »
You see... that I don't have a bit of a problem with. Guy's not raping and destroying just for choobs of dubious value; he's exploring the engineering of his ancestors to discover the music (and eye candy) inside.  ;)

This is completely legitimate use; and he will probably have a better understanding of the core principles, quirks and foibles of these scopes than 90% of the jokers who ever used them for their "legitimate intended purpose".

mnem
*still smirking at Sam Battle praying before his Tower of Power...*

Do you really think that once he's done playing that he'll restore that scope back to proper condition? How naive can you be? I'll bet he's licking his chops at selling the pieces so he can buy another one and rip it apart too.  |O

[

Ho crap I found a video

Anyone who sees something functional and thinks “drone machine” should be locked away somewhere there is no technology.

I love you guys... but the utter narrow-mindedness, even hatefulness, displayed here is staggering. If you actually bothered to look into the guy's other stuff, you'd see he knows quite a bit more than you give him credit for. While I don't enjoy doing the kind of audio improvisation he's into as I'm not a musician, I can at least appreciate the drive to see the music in everyday objects around you.

Which is worse... the guy who actually uses a scope this way, for creative endeavour, or the guy who rebuilds it, runs it long enough to know it works, then hangs it on a shelf and never uses it?

mnem
*SMH*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85285 on: March 15, 2021, 02:30:36 pm »

20W fan in place of a 2.5 watter...? What could possibly go wrong...  :-DD

Better quality version here: https://comb.io/BloHPv

mnem
Not without my thumbs.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85286 on: March 15, 2021, 02:47:15 pm »
You see... that I don't have a bit of a problem with. Guy's not raping and destroying just for choobs of dubious value; he's exploring the engineering of his ancestors to discover the music (and eye candy) inside.  ;)

This is completely legitimate use; and he will probably have a better understanding of the core principles, quirks and foibles of these scopes than 90% of the jokers who ever used them for their "legitimate intended purpose".

mnem

Do you really think that once he's done playing that he'll restore that scope back to proper condition? How naive can you be? I'll bet he's licking his chops at selling the pieces so he can buy another one and rip it apart too.  |O

[

Ho crap I found a video

I love you guys... but the utter narrow-mindedness, even hatefulness, displayed here is staggering. If you actually bothered to look into the guy's other stuff, you'd see he knows quite a bit more than you give him credit for. While I don't enjoy doing the kind of audio improvisation he's into as I'm not a musician, I can at least appreciate the drive to see the music in everyday objects around you.

Which is worse... the guy who actually uses a scope this way, for creative endeavour, or the guy who rebuilds it, runs it long enough to know it works, then hangs it on a shelf and never uses it?

mnem
*SMH*

Or even worse... Mounts a bulb on it and calls it a lamp!

McBryce.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 02:49:00 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85287 on: March 15, 2021, 02:56:58 pm »

mnem

[

Ho crap I found a video

mnem
*SMH*

He should use the scope to build a proper synth. Maybe it would sound less crappy  :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85288 on: March 15, 2021, 03:18:12 pm »
That's the exact opposite of the intent here. The entire purpose is to deliberately misuse a complex system, so you can see what music can be extracted from the interplay of chaos & order inherent in that system. The guy has a proper synth. Oodles of them in fact.

What is going on here is simple exploration of the unknown; if he finds something awesome he'll sample it. That sample is the holy grail here; everything else is a means to that end.

While it may not be our idea of "the right way to use it", these instruments are actually being used for something of value. That's a lot better than a lot of collectors can say.

mnem
 :horse:

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #85289 on: March 15, 2021, 03:47:55 pm »
That's the exact opposite of the intent here. The entire purpose is to deliberately misuse a complex system, so you can see what music can be extracted from the interplay of chaos & order inherent in that system. The guy has a proper synth. Oodles of them in fact.

What is going on here is simple exploration of the unknown; if he finds something awesome he'll sample it. That sample is the holy grail here; everything else is a means to that end.

While it may not be our idea of "the right way to use it", these instruments are actually being used for something of value. That's a lot better than a lot of collectors can say.

mnem

Fully agree. This guy is having fun by actively fiddling with old tech stuff. Why not ? Whats wrong with that ? Must an old rusty Tek be always treated with solemn admiration ?  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85290 on: March 15, 2021, 03:50:28 pm »
[

Ho crap I found a video

... with an ardent bagpiper who'll give them all the 'drones' they want.

Edit: As far as the whole 'circuit bending' of complex equipment like a scope to produce a simple crude oscillator: Well, in a six year old enthusiasm to achieve a goal  accompanied by a lack of knowledge and skill yet still getting some sort of result is charming, in a twenty something it's rather sad and smacks of wilful ignorance perhaps even arrogance.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:01:25 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85291 on: March 15, 2021, 03:52:28 pm »
completely off topic but hilarious.

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

No anvils were harmed in the production of this message.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 03:56:22 pm by Cerebus »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85292 on: March 15, 2021, 04:10:43 pm »

mnem

If you really think that someone with a screen name of "EM34" (Google it) is going to restore that Type 310A back to proper condition after he's done playing then I want some of what you're smoking. Yes, he can do whatever he wants with it and mostly likely it will eventually be stripped of it's tubes and the balance scrapped. Rinse and repeat.

And twice now you've made a backhanded comment about "collectors" and that's an obvious hand grenade tossed in my direction. Just remember, that grenade also applies to the memory of Stan Griffiths, Deane Kidd, Jim Williams, etc who's collections and advocacy of bringing the hobby of complex and usually unobtainuim TE down to folks like you and me who can now afford to appreciate it and not rip it apart and toss it in the scrap heap.  ::)   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85293 on: March 15, 2021, 04:12:59 pm »
And the correct answer to that is "who fucking cares". Now you're just doubling down on the narrow-mindedness in question. ;)

You USE your collection... mostly to make the collection grow, yes, but you do use it. No disrespect was intended there, I swear as 54645A is my witness.  ;D

I don't agree with the notion that every Tek Scope has to be put up on a pedestal as if it were some trophy or hand-tool of the gods. Up on a pedestal is a fucking lonely place to be; I'd much rather see it used every day. Or even misused occasionally, if that be the case.

EDIT: If it really bothers you that much to see it misused this way, and you're so sure of how it will finally meet its doom... the better response would be to contact the fellow and ask to buy the thing from him when he's done tickling its guts so it would be saved from that ignominious fate, rather than just hating him out loud in here.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:34:09 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85294 on: March 15, 2021, 04:17:27 pm »

mnem

Fully agree. This guy is having fun by actively fiddling with old tech stuff. Why not ? Whats wrong with that ? Must an old rusty Tek be always treated with solemn admiration ?  >:D

Accckkk! He said the F-word! Pass out the torches and pitchforks!!!

Get down on your knees and beg forgiveness from the lord our god Tektronix, BLASPHEMER!!! :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:29:03 pm by mnementh »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85295 on: March 15, 2021, 04:20:20 pm »
Please, guys, can we leave all this ad hominem out here?
It makes me sad to watch all this hatred eskalations about a subject which isn't really worth it.
 :( :-\
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85296 on: March 15, 2021, 04:26:03 pm »
Oh, come on now... We're just having a little nerdly fun. It hasn't devolved into personal attacks yet; and fortunately, it rarely does. ;)

mnem

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85297 on: March 15, 2021, 04:26:51 pm »
Please, guys, can we leave all this ad hominem out here?
It makes me sad to watch all this hatred eskalations about a subject which isn't really worth it.
 :( :-\

Seconded. It's acceptable to defend your thesis robustly, but resorting to name-calling is not.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85298 on: March 15, 2021, 04:27:24 pm »
New videos from The Signal Path and Marco Reps:

TSP:
https://youtu.be/HODgQpTbgt4

Marco Reps:
https://youtu.be/PCB8nv4fatc
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85299 on: March 15, 2021, 04:29:09 pm »
Hey, I'm good. Gonna go play with my collection.  :P :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf