Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18103959 times)

Vince, FHTV7, TobyG, Robert763 and 90 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85250 on: March 14, 2021, 09:30:37 pm »
They have made a nice video of backup powerplant which locates about 2km where I live. Visited there once when it was new. Not so much TEA related but quite interesting anyhow.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85251 on: March 14, 2021, 09:41:10 pm »
We should offer him a senior membership in the TEA forum:

:o   :-DD
I say no to that, he is just another variation of an audiophool.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139, FransW

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85252 on: March 14, 2021, 10:45:58 pm »
Agreed. Set him up with a PC and some VSTs and let us have the test gear back.

These German guys have it right. They nicked some roadworks for their props. Good band - no love songs! No test gear abused!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:51:48 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85253 on: March 14, 2021, 11:12:14 pm »

Aww, come on guys; a few weeks ago we were all ooh-ing and ahh-ing over his 1000 oscillator MegaDrone. Guy's nucking futts, but he's our kind of nucking futts... :P

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85254 on: March 14, 2021, 11:15:43 pm »

These German guys have it right. They nicked some roadworks for their props. Good band - no love songs! No test gear abused!

Kraftwerk with an edge. Don't understand a word of it but not bad.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85255 on: March 14, 2021, 11:30:43 pm »

How can you not love this guy...?  He gets weepy over a computer that was made when I was still watching Sesame Street building my first motorcycle... :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:38:29 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85256 on: March 15, 2021, 12:42:06 am »

He's not that bad. At least he's fixing and appreciate TE. Yes, he is not using them as it was intended and he is doing some mods sometimes. Personally, as long as it's not going in the garbage it's fine with me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:48:28 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85257 on: March 15, 2021, 02:15:01 am »

He's not that bad. At least he's fixing and appreciate TE. Yes, he is not using them as it was intended and he is doing some mods sometimes. Personally, as long as it's not going in the garbage it's fine with me.
I don't have an issue with what he's using them for, as you say, it's not going in the garbage, but he has other stuff like voltage and current calibrators, power supplies etc that he admits is not of any use to him. Things like signal generators he can use, and I'm fine with that, but he knew that some of the gear he collected was not going to help to make music, that what I object to.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #85258 on: March 15, 2021, 02:36:01 am »

Kraftwerk with an edge. Don't understand a word of it but not bad.  :-+

I had the same thought.  During the song introduction, I was thinking that these guys must have followed Kraftwerk.  As soon as the vocals joined in, I thought of Ramstein, but then again we do not get much of that music, if any, on this side of the pond.  I definitely enjoyed the music and the beat.  The only line I was able to translate was "That's what I said".

;D

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #85259 on: March 15, 2021, 02:43:34 am »

I don't have an issue with what he's using them for, as you say, it's not going in the garbage, but he has other stuff like voltage and current calibrators, power supplies etc that he admits is not of any use to him. Things like signal generators he can use, and I'm fine with that, but he knew that some of the gear he collected was not going to help to make music, that what I object to.

Similar thought here.  He is using most of the equipment and definitely mis-using it, but I do not see any blatant abuse of the equipment.
He did not give any indication of what he is going to do with the gear that he has no use for.

There could be a win-win in here somewhere.
If he sells the things he has no use for into the TE community, then we can get the TE back to where it belongs and in doing so provide some funding for his museum.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85260 on: March 15, 2021, 02:43:46 am »

Sure I agree. I wouldn't say no to one of those amp calibrator ;D

Funny how a lot of really fine gears always end up unused in a damp garage owned by peoples that has no clue how to operate them or what they actually used for.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85261 on: March 15, 2021, 02:51:41 am »

Med don't read the comments on that video you're going to have a heart attack.

There's a wako in there torturing old Tek oscilloscopes. Someone need to find him and call the police.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #85262 on: March 15, 2021, 02:52:07 am »
Road trip for Brumby to pick up a Frequency Standard. Nearly enough outlets for the Home Lab  ;) eBay auction: #333920204168

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, syau, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85263 on: March 15, 2021, 02:55:02 am »

Med don't read the comments on that video you're going to have a heart attack.

There's a wako in there torturing old Tek oscilloscopes. Someone need to find him and call the police.

Ho crap I found a video

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85264 on: March 15, 2021, 03:20:04 am »
You see... that I don't have a bit of a problem with. Guy's not raping and destroying just for choobs of dubious value; he's exploring the engineering of his ancestors to discover the music (and eye candy) inside.  ;)

This is completely legitimate use; and he will probably have a better understanding of the core principles, quirks and foibles of these scopes than 90% of the jokers who ever used them for their "legitimate intended purpose".

mnem
*still smirking at Sam Battle praying before his Tower of Power...*

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #85265 on: March 15, 2021, 03:24:53 am »
Road trip for Brumby to pick up a Frequency Standard. Nearly enough outlets for the Home Lab  ;) eBay auction: #333920204168

"AU $5,900.00"   :o

Funny bugger.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 08:20:45 am by Brumby »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #85266 on: March 15, 2021, 03:32:17 am »
Did I omit something  :-DD

Another West Coast Canadian Anchor however on the affordable end eBay auction: #154364445805 only 70kg to have shipped. I know @Med NEEDS an AC Calibrator but I am not that cruel to suggest it  ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85267 on: March 15, 2021, 03:33:12 am »
You see... that I don't have a bit of a problem with. Guy's not raping and destroying just for choobs of dubious value; he's exploring the engineering of his ancestors to discover the music (and eye candy) inside.  ;)

This is completely legitimate use; and he will probably have a better understanding of the core principles, quirks and foibles of these scopes than 90% of the jokers who ever used them for their "legitimate intended purpose".

mnem

Personally, I really don't get circuit bending. If you want an oscillator, just make one. Don't destroy a piece of history.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 03:35:06 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85268 on: March 15, 2021, 03:46:56 am »
   Here you go bd.... I think I may have found a keyboard we can't beat to death...  :-DD

I did actually take a look at those here when I was shopping around. They’re £40 a pop which isn’t bad. The only thing that put me off is I know what cherry reds feel like and I didn’t want any variation. If I bugger this K320 I’ll head in that direction as the pricing is better  :-+

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G4H448Q/

Hey... something I didn't notice on the US site (and they're not listed this way on Amazon.ca; they're listed separately) is that the K556 actually comes in a red switches version!

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85269 on: March 15, 2021, 03:58:31 am »

mnem

Personally, I really don't get circuit bending. If you want an oscillator, just make one. Don't destroy a piece of history.

How's he destroying? I don't see anything that wouldn't be a trivial fix for anyone with the desire to do so and sufficient knowledge to do any repair of any significance on such a scope; not only that, you can see that it's working both as a sound processor and as a visual display.

I get it. I'm not into it, except for the occasional random impulse... but I do get it. :-//

Art is its own raison d'être.

mnem
*heeds Hypnos' siren call*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:01:47 am by mnementh »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #85270 on: March 15, 2021, 04:18:00 am »

Art is its own raison d'être.

.... and we have seen some examples where there IS no reason.  Too many, in fact (especially in regards to TE - and in this thread.)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85271 on: March 15, 2021, 05:18:52 am »
[

Ho crap I found a video

I hope the asshole shocks himself and fucking dies.  :wtf:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85272 on: March 15, 2021, 05:26:21 am »

Another West Coast Canadian Anchor however on the affordable end eBay auction: #154364445805 only 70kg to have shipped. I know @Med NEEDS an AC Calibrator but I am not that cruel to suggest it  ;)

Only $400 USD to ship.  :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85273 on: March 15, 2021, 05:40:02 am »

mnem

Do you really think that once he's done playing that he'll restore that scope back to proper condition? How naive can you be? I'll bet he's licking his chops at selling the pieces so he can buy another one and rip it apart too.  |O 

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #85274 on: March 15, 2021, 05:51:19 am »

Only $400 USD to ship.  :palm:
Yeah, I have that on watch, too.  Tempting, but that shipping...  Yeek!!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf