Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18112226 times)

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85150 on: March 13, 2021, 01:59:26 pm »
Someone on here mentioned the old mains leads with PH163 connector used on 1960's HP TEA were unobtainium in Europe, well they were wrong, seems this seller has been collecting up all those missing leads,
https://www.ebay.de/itm/224043034507

Not cheap, but probably less than buying & shipping them from the US.

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85151 on: March 13, 2021, 02:25:19 pm »
Could buy a Dremel and an IEC socket for that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #85152 on: March 13, 2021, 02:37:15 pm »
And now for something completely different:

Have fun with TEA and some random components.

Use a beefy function generator (note the 4A fuse for its output)

Connect a powermeter to monitor its output:

A transformer salvaged from the CCFL backlight inverter of a borked monitor

Feed its output into a mysterious device, found (as usual) at the scrap containers

to create a nice arcing effect:

https://cb.wunderkis.de/wk-pub/flash.ogv

Some kind of a jacobs ladder in a small can.
Afaik, the mysterious device is a Xenon filled flash lamp for special lighting purposes, e.g. microscope photography.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:42:21 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, exor, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, factory, Kosmic, syau, AVGresponding

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85153 on: March 13, 2021, 02:44:30 pm »
Could buy a Dremel and an IEC socket for that  :-DD

The other solution & the one I prefer is to keep buying more 1960's HP TEA and eventually you'll end up with plenty of PH163 leads.

Already have a Dremel, cost me nothing as it was bought with vouchers from the work "bribe you to go in while not well scheme".

And some old IEC inlets are crap, the plastic can break up, or those RS own brand ones with the tags riveted to the pins that become loose with age.

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85154 on: March 13, 2021, 02:53:54 pm »
Just scored a Pro-Peak SuperNova battery charger / discharger on ebay. Used but in the box for £6  :)
This is an older model and only does Nicad, Ni-MH and lead-acid batteries. It's big advantage for me is that it will charge up to 25 Nicad or Ni-MH cells at up to 5A when powered from 12V. this means I can charge 24V or 28V miltary type batteries in the car. You can also charge a lead acid fully from another lead acid. I had one for years but was persuaded to sell it to a friend and have missed it since.

Better hide that Tamiya connector before mnem starts roasting you!

It will have Anderson Power Poles on it before it gets any  serious use. Brumby Beanflyer is correct, it's a late 90's design.  (Edit, wrong name)

Those were the bomb back in the day of breaking down NiCd cells to lower the IR; I had 3 of 'em in my pit box with battery bays that were cooled by hi-velocity updraft muffin fans. They later released a version with CC/CV mode that quickly was adopted as the standard for LiPo charging; used an external balancer like the one I'm abusing here.  :popcorn:

Anderson/SERMOS connectors were popular back then; we didn't have a lot of choices other than the TAMIYA/MOLEX bi-pin. I used SERMOS too, but found they did not stay connected well; not nearly enough contact pressure for use in something that is moving under its own power and bumping/bouncing around. Also entirely too easy to break and subject to embrittlement if exposed to any of dozens of chemicals we used all the time. Then for a while the Deans' plugs were the hot ticket; I melted too many on my dragsters and went back to double-stacked SERMOS connectors. The 4/5/6mm HXT connectors were a godsend!

mnem
*juicy*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #85155 on: March 13, 2021, 03:00:54 pm »
don't get me any strange ideas.
molten salt electrolysis of sodium fluoride in an Ozone atmosphere (I do have an ozone generator ...)

hey, I gotta post this to Pommijätkät channel. Will post a disclaimer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 03:03:01 pm by Saskia »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85156 on: March 13, 2021, 03:21:48 pm »
Someone said Thunderstruck?

Looks like I'm getting live thunderstruck.

No worries, these thunderstorms always pass by, never hit my village. Just some raindrops and I've heard some thunder growling.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85157 on: March 13, 2021, 03:24:36 pm »
don't get me any strange ideas.
molten salt electrolysis of sodium fluoride in an Ozone atmosphere (I do have an ozone generator ...)

hey, I gotta post this to Pommijätkät channel. Will post a disclaimer.

These are nice guys, aren't they. I like their Finnish countdown when they blow up something at Beyond the Press channel.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85158 on: March 13, 2021, 03:27:00 pm »
I still like Kreosan best

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #85159 on: March 13, 2021, 03:30:56 pm »
The interesting question is: will this kind of electrolysis be sufficient to make foof ...
It should be ...

but I will chicken out on this one.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85160 on: March 13, 2021, 03:33:00 pm »
Someone couldn't be bothered to properly unplug the BNCs  :o

Otherwise, looks quite clean inside, no burn marks and no signs of a gorilla been inside...

Urrgghhh...

It looks like you got some nice Tek terminators as a byproduct of that careless dismantling; as you were able to get trace I assume straightening the wanged X-axis input wasn't too painful...?

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85161 on: March 13, 2021, 03:34:22 pm »
Good spot. Didn't notice them when I saw it.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85162 on: March 13, 2021, 03:41:48 pm »
Someone couldn't be bothered to properly unplug the BNCs  :o

Otherwise, looks quite clean inside, no burn marks and no signs of a gorilla been inside...

Urrgghhh...

It looks like you got some nice Tek terminators as a byproduct of that careless dismantling; as you were able to get trace I assume straightening the wanged X-axis input wasn't too painful...?

mnem

Yes, two Tek 50 Ohm terminators were harvested, both alive and kicking. Interestingly connected to Z and Y input, so X input sensitivity was set to half of Y sensitivity at the front panel controls to compensate - WTF?
Straightening the BNC was done by gently pulling, didn't investigate further.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85163 on: March 13, 2021, 04:11:38 pm »
Ahhh... oklay. I was guessing at which input was wanged; of course I guessed wrong. :P

mnem
*breakfast time*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85164 on: March 13, 2021, 04:20:13 pm »
Shitt... I didn't mean to post that; I was just testing a problem with my keyboard which has been double-striking Ts... :palm:

mnem
*dipsttick-dwagon*
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:24:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85165 on: March 13, 2021, 04:32:37 pm »
Re display filters
Lee and Rosco make filter "gels" for stage lighting etc. You can get a sample booklet like this:
https://sparkssupermarket.co.uk/products/lee-filters-swatchbook
to find the best one and then order a sheet (unless the display is small)

Another problem with blue is the human eye does not work well with it. Some wavelengths cause fluorescence in the eyy so you can't get good focus.

For technical purposes, go with Lee. They even have spectrograms of their filters on their website so it's easy to match the filter to the wavelength of your LEDS. www.leefilters.com

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85166 on: March 13, 2021, 04:36:12 pm »
Re-cap continuing on the Type 321A. The opposite side and underneath is done. Now starting on this wall of shame. The problem is that the goopy plastic has almost completely obliterated the markings on the capacitors. So it's slow going measuring and verifying and doing one pull at a time. Good news is that once this is done it's pretty much ready for a trial power up. Bad news is that I forgot to order that .1uf/1000V black beauty. Hopefully it's not too leaky and will allow operation.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85167 on: March 13, 2021, 04:38:01 pm »
So this happened and I am already more than broke  :palm: Original listing was $200 and I sent in an offer at $140 and the seller responded with a counter of $175. eBay auction: #154358978444

Having a casual trawl for later I see the price is now revised to $150 and with a small evilbay discount it would be $144  ;D All yours Aussie TEA  :-DD

In the end, it is a fundamental TEA truth that one ideally would need a counter to count one's counters.

Don’t get me started on owning counters. I own one counter at the moment. And it has an OCXO in it. And after owning one previously I know that the OCXO can drift out of serviceable range. Thus the question appears: how do I know it’s accurate? Then I’m starting to lurk on Leo Bodnar’s site again. Then I start wondering if it’s worth doing that sort of stuff. Then the digits taunt me. Perhaps 8 isn’t enough to justify buying a GPSDO. Now I’m looking for counters. Then I’m going to end up with another counter instead of a GPSDO and that won’t agree with the first one. And then I have three problems instead of zero problems  :scared:

If things end well next week, I'll have not one but two GPSDO. What if they don't align?  :scared:

Simple answer? Hydrogen maser.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85168 on: March 13, 2021, 04:41:48 pm »
So this happened and I am already more than broke  :palm: Original listing was $200 and I sent in an offer at $140 and the seller responded with a counter of $175. eBay auction: #154358978444

Having a casual trawl for later I see the price is now revised to $150 and with a small evilbay discount it would be $144  ;D All yours Aussie TEA  :-DD

In the end, it is a fundamental TEA truth that one ideally would need a counter to count one's counters.

Don’t get me started on owning counters. I own one counter at the moment. And it has an OCXO in it. And after owning one previously I know that the OCXO can drift out of serviceable range. Thus the question appears: how do I know it’s accurate? Then I’m starting to lurk on Leo Bodnar’s site again. Then I start wondering if it’s worth doing that sort of stuff. Then the digits taunt me. Perhaps 8 isn’t enough to justify buying a GPSDO. Now I’m looking for counters. Then I’m going to end up with another counter instead of a GPSDO and that won’t agree with the first one. And then I have three problems instead of zero problems  :scared:

If things end well next week, I'll have not one but two GPSDO. What if they don't align?  :scared:

Then obviously you'll need a third for a majority vote!

-Pat

You'll need a fetching hat to go with that!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #85169 on: March 13, 2021, 05:20:14 pm »
Wee interlude yesterday when Larry Minor needed pops help with a reasonable size old pine on a road boundary so dusted off #2 Husky and fitted the 24" bar to do the business. Still it needed a wire rope on it and drew the short straw for that 8m up in the digger bucket to fasten it.
~800mm at the butt and came down under full control of the 14t digger....totally uneventful.  :phew:

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 05:22:30 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #85170 on: March 13, 2021, 05:27:01 pm »
Re-cap continuing on the Type 321A. The opposite side and underneath is done. Now starting on this wall of shame. The problem is that the goopy plastic has almost completely obliterated the markings on the capacitors. So it's slow going measuring and verifying and doing one pull at a time. Good news is that once this is done it's pretty much ready for a trial power up. Bad news is that I forgot to order that .1uf/1000V black beauty. Hopefully it's not too leaky and will allow operation.

Mike - the red lettered 160P series cap is a Sprague "difilm" capacitor - apparently a combination of polyester film and tissue.  From what I know, they are considerably less likely to be leaky than the yellow lettered ones (which I believe are straight paper) are.  You might be ok.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85171 on: March 13, 2021, 05:27:49 pm »
Yeah it's the yellow ones you need to watch out for. They go short and take stuff with them.

I'd be tempted to replace it anyway because the "what if" would annoy me at night  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85172 on: March 13, 2021, 05:34:40 pm »
Pat, thanks...good to know.  :-+ But yea, gonna replace it anyway as insurance.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85173 on: March 13, 2021, 05:45:48 pm »

Re-cap continuing on the Type 321A. The opposite side and underneath is done. Now starting on this wall of shame. The problem is that the goopy plastic has almost completely obliterated the markings on the capacitors. So it's slow going measuring and verifying and doing one pull at a time...

Sometimes wiping hazy plastic with a paper towel dampened with vegetable oil improves clarity enough to read what's under it. I'd try that in this case too. Of course, you could also cut the plastic off with a X-Acto knife. :-//

mnem

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #85174 on: March 13, 2021, 05:47:28 pm »

Roll your own, but use diverse technology:

http://wunderkis.de/dcf-rcvr/

That is certainly tempting, however we're on the brink of useful DCF reception here; I've got one clock that runs faultlessly, and one that just refuses to lock on. However, it's less than 1200 km to Mainflingen, "Krähenfliegestrecke", so, well, maybe..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf