Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18113442 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85125 on: March 13, 2021, 09:45:14 am »
Not a bad idea. 10MHz? Ah that’ll do  :-DD

I actually miss that counter.

The cheap and nasty option is a Ublox receiver and lissajous pattern on a scope against your counters internal reference as they won't produce a 10Meg without jitter.

EDIT found it https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2246022/#msg2246022
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:48:55 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #85126 on: March 13, 2021, 09:46:06 am »
So this happened and I am already more than broke  :palm: Original listing was $200 and I sent in an offer at $140 and the seller responded with a counter of $175. eBay auction: #154358978444

Having a casual trawl for later I see the price is now revised to $150 and with a small evilbay discount it would be $144  ;D All yours Aussie TEA  :-DD

In the end, it is a fundamental TEA truth that one ideally would need a counter to count one's counters.

Don’t get me started on owning counters. I own one counter at the moment. And it has an OCXO in it. And after owning one previously I know that the OCXO can drift out of serviceable range. Thus the question appears: how do I know it’s accurate? Then I’m starting to lurk on Leo Bodnar’s site again. Then I start wondering if it’s worth doing that sort of stuff. Then the digits taunt me. Perhaps 8 isn’t enough to justify buying a GPSDO. Now I’m looking for counters. Then I’m going to end up with another counter instead of a GPSDO and that won’t agree with the first one. And then I have three problems instead of zero problems  :scared:

If things end well next week, I'll have not one but two GPSDO. What if they don't align?  :scared:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85127 on: March 13, 2021, 09:48:04 am »

The cheap and nasty option is a Ublox receiver and lissajous pattern on a scope against your counters internal reference as they won't produce a 10Meg without jitter.

Yeah I did consider that actually. But I got digging into which ublox module to buy and it made my head hurt. Mostly because I was in the middle of a conference call at the time about something management related. I may reinvestigate.

I have a 10MHz VCXO here I built ages ago and enough bits to build a divider and PLL so that’s an option too.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #85128 on: March 13, 2021, 09:48:16 am »
So this happened and I am already more than broke  :palm: Original listing was $200 and I sent in an offer at $140 and the seller responded with a counter of $175. eBay auction: #154358978444

Having a casual trawl for later I see the price is now revised to $150 and with a small evilbay discount it would be $144  ;D All yours Aussie TEA  :-DD

In the end, it is a fundamental TEA truth that one ideally would need a counter to count one's counters.

Don’t get me started on owning counters. I own one counter at the moment. And it has an OCXO in it. And after owning one previously I know that the OCXO can drift out of serviceable range. Thus the question appears: how do I know it’s accurate? Then I’m starting to lurk on Leo Bodnar’s site again. Then I start wondering if it’s worth doing that sort of stuff. Then the digits taunt me. Perhaps 8 isn’t enough to justify buying a GPSDO. Now I’m looking for counters. Then I’m going to end up with another counter instead of a GPSDO and that won’t agree with the first one. And then I have three problems instead of zero problems  :scared:

If things end well next week, I'll have not one but two GPSDO. What if they don't align?  :scared:

Then obviously you'll need a third for a majority vote!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85129 on: March 13, 2021, 09:49:08 am »

Well now you mention that, there’s a thread going on at the moment in another forum where someone has built a GPSDO with a recycled Trimble and it doesn’t agree with his other off air standard (LW 198Khz).

I noped out of there.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85130 on: March 13, 2021, 09:49:32 am »

Yeah I did consider that actually. But I got digging into which ublox module to buy and it made my head hurt. Mostly because I was in the middle of a conference call at the time about something management related. I may reinvestigate.

I have a 10MHz VCXO here I built ages ago and enough bits to build a divider and PLL so that’s an option too.

Found the link https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2246022/#msg2246022
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85131 on: March 13, 2021, 10:00:39 am »
If you have a counter with interval mode you can use any GPS with a 1 PPS output and adjust for 1000000 us

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85132 on: March 13, 2021, 10:11:05 am »
That 1pps has a hell of a lot of jitter on it though. Tried that before. Module was a YIC51612EB

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85133 on: March 13, 2021, 10:29:14 am »
This seems a tad expensive for something the seller says is junk. Frankly, this would be expensive if it was fully working...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-222-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-Treat-It-As-Junk/393163634617

Which it appears to be. Maybe they just don't like Tektronix...   :-//

The seller is in Japan so I suspect some translation got scrambled. But non the less the price didn't get scrambled and that's too damn much.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85134 on: March 13, 2021, 10:32:07 am »
Another skanky overpriced 'scope.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tektronix-oscilloscope-7904/233928588682
For £750 you would think they would give it a wipe and take a decent photo  |Oa
Considering that I snagged a 7904 with 4 plug-in's for $100 USD yea, too much.  ;D

But mine had a ticking PSU due to a shorted tant. I can guarantee that one has at least one shorted tant too after sitting all those years. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85135 on: March 13, 2021, 10:40:33 am »
That 1pps has a hell of a lot of jitter on it though. Tried that before. Module was a YIC51612EB

Hmm,  That one should be good to about 10ns. Were you running it in 10Hz update mode? I think that on just interpolates 10Hz which won't help the jitter.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #85136 on: March 13, 2021, 11:32:36 am »
Remember this one?

You could consider powering all that from a low-cost-branded non-working Powersupply, for just €250! https://www.ebay.de/itm/Voltcraft-PS-152-A-DC-Power-Supply-H-572-DL/154359328974

McBryce.

P.s. The original new price of this supply was around €70.

I've browsed through this sellers offers, and found a lot of items at hilarious prices. So I took one (297.50 EUR or best offer) and offered 15 EUR ...
Guess what, here it is:

Packaging looks good 'nough for 'Stralia, but some nice Smurf Tek blue inside.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:39:41 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85137 on: March 13, 2021, 11:35:40 am »
Must have measured it properly and off to the onsite bag now it is a 'proper' tool >:D

And Yes Blue LED displays SUCK in bright situations :palm:
No they don't if you employ a couple of layers of blue filters in front, here's one of those modules from eBay that applied the filters to and see how easy it is to read now.

Counter switched off

Counter switched on
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85138 on: March 13, 2021, 11:37:23 am »

Roll your own, but use diverse technology:

http://wunderkis.de/dcf-rcvr/

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85139 on: March 13, 2021, 11:38:15 am »
Must have measured it properly and off to the onsite bag now it is a 'proper' tool >:D

And Yes Blue LED displays SUCK in bright situations :palm:
No they don't if you employ a couple of layers of blue filters in front, here's one of those modules from eBay that applied the filters to and see how easy it is to read now.

Keep reading BLUE and others ordered  :-DD

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85140 on: March 13, 2021, 12:15:19 pm »
This seems a tad expensive for something the seller says is junk. Frankly, this would be expensive if it was fully working...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-222-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-Treat-It-As-Junk/393163634617

Which it appears to be. Maybe they just don't like Tektronix...   :-//

The seller is in Japan so I suspect some translation got scrambled. But non the less the price didn't get scrambled and that's too damn much.  ::)

Could be trouble if ePay postage automatically puts that title on the label and then the courier reads it.  :-DD Treat it as j....               ....:-BROKE

David
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:23:53 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85141 on: March 13, 2021, 12:25:35 pm »
It’s alive! Worked first time for once!  :-DD

Slightly scary moment on power on as always with “silent PCs” is it didn’t make any noise at all  :-DD

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85142 on: March 13, 2021, 12:31:15 pm »
It’s alive! Worked first time for once!  :-DD

Slightly scary moment on power on as always with “silent PCs” is it didn’t make any noise at all  :-DD

You're borking it right now, anyway

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85143 on: March 13, 2021, 12:33:52 pm »
Someone couldn't be bothered to properly unplug the BNCs  :o

Otherwise, looks quite clean inside, no burn marks and no signs of a gorilla been inside.

I've been a bit reluctant buying TEA from the bay of evil, anyway I'd call this one a success.

Wonder why this seller didn't accept my 80 EUR offer on a three channel power meter (Buy now 995 EUR), it's about the same ratio  8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:37:57 pm by capt bullshot »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, beanflying, factory

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85144 on: March 13, 2021, 12:35:43 pm »
This appeared in my emails earlier.  :palm:

Clearly not of fan of wiggly pointers despite the username.

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #85145 on: March 13, 2021, 12:42:03 pm »
This appeared in my emails earlier.  :palm:

Clearly not of fan of wiggly pointers despite the username.

David

Well, since you can point with your digit, it's technically not wrong...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/digit
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85146 on: March 13, 2021, 12:45:23 pm »
Blimey these sale prices are getting silly. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143964685362

3312A went for £150.

You can bag a brand spanking new DG811 for £70 more, crack it and it’s instantly a 2x 100Mhz arb. I am past understanding this now.

But even the single channel DG811 is arguably better!

I had to buy the power meter they had twice, they cancelled the first as they didn't put enough postage on it, now waiting for the end-cap for the range knob that went AWOL at their end.  |O

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85147 on: March 13, 2021, 01:05:45 pm »
That’s a bit crap. Will avoid that seller like the plague.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85148 on: March 13, 2021, 01:21:57 pm »
Some fun with that XYZ display:

https://cb.wunderkis.de/wk-pub/xyz.ogv

(don't know which browsers that'll work with, mine does).

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, DC1MC, Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #85149 on: March 13, 2021, 01:56:53 pm »
very nice. If I had space to put such thing I would envy you. But enjoy. You'll most likely put it to better use than I ever could.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf