Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17489646 times)

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85050 on: March 12, 2021, 07:44:03 am »

Fritz!Box 7590 ftw!  :-+  ;D

I'm the admin of (takes his fingers to count) seven networks of some friends and relatives of mine and they are simply working. Since they are consumer routers, they are having some limitations but besides that, they are fast and reliable and are doing simply their job.

The FritzBox together with that Czech router, the Turris Omnia, are rare exceptions to the 'consumer "routers" suck' default.  Beyond that, you're left to whatever clue the Chinese tag-team of for-hire coders decided this 5-week project was worthy before it becomes abandonware on a too-old GPL violation with backdoors the size of a Walmart loading dock.

I'm involved in running network to and at 40 branch offices, a major datacenter and a multi-terabit streaming operation at work. I do not need to be at the mercy of such lusership at home; I'd rather have something that I can fix. And the boat anchors, for starters, have their quirks documented..

Yes I’m super irritable and sensitive about routers that don’t work.

I had a sky SR100 for a bit after Sky bought our BeThere over here. This was a little MIPS box with a passion for running out of memory because it was completely inadequately specified and ran a buggy Linux kernel which leaked all the RAM every 2-3 days causing the NAT to just eat packets. End game was it required a restart nightly.

This took a month long battle and eventual resignation to the fact I’d have to fire them and pay up to exit the contract. Best £200 I ever burned that was  :-DD

The thing that gets me is the customer support attitude I see a lot these days. This appeared in my conversation with them (and the one over the dock recently). This is a fine piece of humanity being broken which is fundamental to why we’re going to fail as a species:

“well no one else is having any problems so why are you?”

I will personally find and fucking eviscerate anyone who tells me that these day.

Edit: just a nice pile of shit that landed today as well about ISPs here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/03/two-uk-broadband-isps-trial-new-internet-snooping-system.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 07:51:06 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85051 on: March 12, 2021, 07:50:30 am »

People might not be that dumb.

Do you want to bet your life on that?  :P :-DD

'Course not! I'd not even bet 2 cents on it! Let's say I'm just hoping that.  ;)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85052 on: March 12, 2021, 07:57:41 am »

People might not be that dumb.

Do you want to bet your life on that?  :P :-DD

'Course not! I'd not even bet 2 cents on it! Let's say I'm just hoping that.  ;)

Keep always in mind, that the last thing escaped from Pandora's Box was hope.  >:D ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #85053 on: March 12, 2021, 08:52:55 am »

The thing that gets me is the customer support attitude I see a lot these days. This appeared in my conversation with them (and the one over the dock recently). This is a fine piece of humanity being broken which is fundamental to why we’re going to fail as a species:

“well no one else is having any problems so why are you?”

I will personally find and fucking eviscerate anyone who tells me that these day.

Edit: just a nice pile of shit that landed today as well about ISPs here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/03/two-uk-broadband-isps-trial-new-internet-snooping-system.html

Back in the early-mid 90s I worked for a spinoff company that made electron microscopy sample prep equipment; they were based in Liechtenstein.  We used a dip tube gizmo made by the original parent company that mounted on a 20 l Dewar to feed liquid nitrogen to various things like cold stages and cryo traps.  It was a real Rube Goldberg affair, and drove us nuts as it would frequently freeze up and stop working correctly.  We repeatedly bugged them for a solution, and the response we got was "Vell, you are zee only vons who seem to be hafink ziss problem".  Later we learned that what they were saying was true- we WERE the only ones having that problem - because we were the only ones BUYING the damned things!  Never did get a completely satisfactory solution, but IIRC mounting the regulator that pressurized the Dewar away from the head of the device on a piece of copper tubing made it tolerable.

Gotta love customer service!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85054 on: March 12, 2021, 09:09:04 am »
I’m taking photos as I go. I took nearly 100 during inspection and carefully cross referenced them against observed values and the service manual and change notes I have.

Some installed caps were 25v on 24v lines and the manual specs minimum 40v so those are being corrected as well.

Edit: furry trimmer!  :scared:

While there is some general crud on the trimmer, the white material is something I've seen before on those plastic cased trimmers and some switch / circuit breakers made from what appears to be the same plastic. This was on NOS and inservice parts. inital indications is thin wisker like white crystals. I can only assume that it is plasticiser or other component of the plastic leaching out and crystalising on contact with air. It brushes off and does not seen to affect operation.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #85055 on: March 12, 2021, 09:11:22 am »
At least I will be able to tell if the Bean diet I will be living on is up to Temperature  :palm:  There will be no 9 Nixie digits and Smurf kissing for me  :-DD eBay auction: #324510267975 There was at least an evilbay plus chunk of discount off the price but still maybe only Potato's and Carrots to go with the beans.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85056 on: March 12, 2021, 09:14:43 am »
Ever take a crucible of liquid nitrogen and toss it on the floor and watch it bubble and dance? Or immerse plastic tubing in the N2 and then smash it to bits?

Ask me how I know these things.  ;D   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85057 on: March 12, 2021, 09:17:07 am »
At least I will be able to tell if the Bean diet I will be living on is up to Temperature  :palm:  There will be no 9 Nixie digits and Smurf kissing for me  :-DD eBay auction: #324510267975 There was at least an evilbay plus chunk of discount off the price but still maybe only Potato's and Carrots to go with the beans.

Well that put a hurt on the bank account.  :scared:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #85058 on: March 12, 2021, 09:22:37 am »
Ever take a crucible of liquid nitrogen and toss it on the floor and watch it bubble and dance? Or immerse plastic tubing in the N2 and then smash it to bits?

Ask me how I know these things.  ;D

LOL - I was on third shift when I worked at National Semiconductor - we had LN2 on tap - what do YOU think?   ;) >:D  (frozen Tygon tubing shatters like glass)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #85059 on: March 12, 2021, 09:33:33 am »
"Gently used aluminum electrolytic capacitors run on 100% pure Tektronix electrons"

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124617620185

When I saw this, the first thing that sprang to my mind was: why doesn't med dispose of his caps this way? He's got way more than that!
No bidders yet. People might not be that dumb.

You could also buy half of a 240V mains plug and socket; he has several available https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Duraplug-10amp-Lead-Connector-Plug-24-09-JW6/264875915949
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #85060 on: March 12, 2021, 09:37:11 am »

Ah, the wonders of deep packet inspection :(

What's the odds that VogonMedia are involved?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85061 on: March 12, 2021, 09:59:01 am »
Fucking 350mile drive home. Storm w/ gusts up to 75 mph, hail- and thunderstorm. Road closures. 7 fucking hours of my life

<SNIP>

EDIT:  Strangely, the seller's place had test equipment in a bedroom, which also had the walls painted a shade of orange that must be quite compatible with med's taste in color ...

NO pictures tonight.  I'm going to bed!

Even more strange is why you were in the sellers bedroom... :scared:  "come up and see my test equipment...." :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85062 on: March 12, 2021, 10:37:17 am »
More work on the Type 321A. Turns out that the battery compartment is easily removed to gain access to big crusty (470uf/35V). Also gives access to the attenuator switch deck so it can be cleaned. The capacitor can on the left will be left in place and bypassed. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:43:48 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85063 on: March 12, 2021, 10:58:39 am »
Fucking 350mile drive home. Storm w/ gusts up to 75 mph, hail- and thunderstorm. Road closures. 7 fucking hours of my life
Wow 7 hours spent f*****g and your complaining  :wtf:  :-DD :-DD Most people would be very happy  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85064 on: March 12, 2021, 11:09:57 am »
nixie counters in the bedroom???

damn......you are a kinky smirf!

Yes, it's that awkward moment on the first "real" date, where she asks whether you are into anything like leather or bondage or whatever and you say you have a soft spot for Nixies in the bedroom (and she then quickly heads to Google with a confused and slightly scared look on her face).

McBryce.

No, being the cop she has an eye for detail. So every time she visits she scans the place and usually within a minute notes the differences. She asks what's that? I answer her. Her response is I have no clue as to what that is but if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. But you can see the look on her face and slight smile that says I'm crazy.       :-DD

BTW, none of that stuff in the bedroom is powered. Strictly storage/display.
The $64000 question is do you ever use that stuff in earnest apart from putting it on the torture rack periodically for a burn in test or for additional heating  :-DD

Are you in the right thread? I think you're lost.  :P :-DD
Nope not lost just don't have the space to collect something just for the sheer hell of it, it has to serve some higher useful purpose to me other than being a display item even it is a nice shade of blue thats missing from my collection.  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85065 on: March 12, 2021, 11:21:38 am »

Yes, it's that awkward moment on the first "real" date, where she asks whether you are into anything like leather or bondage or whatever and you say you have a soft spot for Nixies in the bedroom (and she then quickly heads to Google with a confused and slightly scared look on her face).

McBryce.

No, being the cop she has an eye for detail. So every time she visits she scans the place and usually within a minute notes the differences. She asks what's that? I answer her. Her response is I have no clue as to what that is but if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. But you can see the look on her face and slight smile that says I'm crazy.       :-DD

The $64000 question is do you ever use that stuff in earnest apart from putting it on the torture rack periodically for a burn in test or for additional heating  :-DD

Nope not lost just don't have the space to collect something just for the sheer hell of it, it has to serve some higher useful purpose to me other than being a display item even it is a nice shade of blue thats missing from my collection.  :-DD :-DD

OK, then sell all the DMM's you have in your collection. You only need one.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85066 on: March 12, 2021, 12:05:32 pm »

McBryce.

But thats just what I mean they are useful to me and besides I do often need more than one, for instance when trying to track down issues, it's handy to be able to safely monitor all supply rails for intermittent glitches etc.
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85067 on: March 12, 2021, 12:17:08 pm »
Ok eBay payments report for you all. I just had the first transaction go through end to end from sale to payment.

2021-03-10 13:01 - item sold and paid for. eBay took £1 straight away
2021-03-11 15:00 - payment showing as pending
2021-03-12 05:36 - got payment email from eBay
2021-03-12 11:14 - not been transferred yet.
2021-03-12 12:05 - cleared into my mule account at Santander.

Note: I had to pay for postage out of PayPal separately.

So 48 hours from payment to receipt approx. Bit shit but manageable and no PayPal fee!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85068 on: March 12, 2021, 12:48:13 pm »
Ok eBay payments report for you all. I just had the first transaction go through end to end from sale to payment.

So 48 hours from payment to receipt approx. Bit shit but manageable and no PayPal fee!

Yep, I do quite like that method though, it is less expensive than having to pay PayPal as well, but it is a bit of a bummer having to wait 48 hours to get your money, at least with PayPal, you could use that money instantly. I'm just wondering how long they will provide that service without dumping a charge on it?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85069 on: March 12, 2021, 12:57:22 pm »

McBryce.

But thats just what I mean they are useful to me and besides I do often need more than one, for instance when trying to track down issues, it's handy to be able to safely monitor all supply rails for intermittent glitches etc.

And likewise, all my equipment is useful to me.  :-/O :-DMM

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85070 on: March 12, 2021, 12:58:58 pm »

Yep, I do quite like that method though, it is less expensive than having to pay PayPal as well, but it is a bit of a bummer having to wait 48 hours to get your money, at least with PayPal, you could use that money instantly. I'm just wondering how long they will provide that service without dumping a charge on it?

They still charge most people 10% so the handling fee comes out of that.

I expect the £1 listing weekend is going to disappear.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85071 on: March 12, 2021, 01:00:54 pm »

McBryce.

And likewise, all my equipment is useful to me.  :-/O :-DMM
Just wish you'd said that earlier, thats a few minutes of our life we won't get back  ;) :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85072 on: March 12, 2021, 01:03:24 pm »

Yeh suspect you're right there, still the 10% is still better than paying it and a service charge to PayPal.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85073 on: March 12, 2021, 02:38:28 pm »

Yeh suspect you're right there, still the 10% is still better than paying it and a service charge to PayPal.

I never minded PP's cut; was worth it to me to not allow eBay direct access to my bank account, even just my eCommerce account.  :palm:  Also worth it to have someone on my side whenever there was a dispute.  :-//

mnem

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:00:17 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85074 on: March 12, 2021, 02:45:49 pm »

Ah, the wonders of deep packet inspection :(

What's the odds that VogonMedia are involved?

So... Carnivore has grandbabies in the UK now...? Shocking.

mnem
*punt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf