Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17490396 times)

wolfy007, khach and 76 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85000 on: March 11, 2021, 07:29:15 pm »
I always go for silence and low power here. Amazing how much the electricity bill doesn’t cost now I’m not running a data centre in the house  :-DD

It is also less power involved... you know what can happen...

Ah yes. I was all over that one. Me and OVH go a long way back after they screwed one of my customers over. Hope the rest of their shit burns to the ground.

Also the moral of the story is don’t cheap out on a VPS.

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85001 on: March 11, 2021, 07:30:09 pm »
Effing PorkelFarce.

Ordered some new runners from JD Sports, shipped direct from Reebok, on March 3rd.

Attempted delivery March 4th, then returned to depot. No card left, so I'd no idea they'd been. Last night I clicked the tracking link to find all this out, naturally they were closed by then.

The website tracking page states they'll try to redeliver the next day, which they didn't do, and that the package would be returned to the supplier if held for 7 days.

Phoned them tonight, and it's not easy to get to a human I can tell you. Seems you have to deliberately fluff the phone number entry in the automated menu to get put through...

Redelivery now promised for Saturday. My feet are waiting in eager anticipation...

This is why I order clothes of Amazon. Got some Nike running shoes for £25 a while back delivered same day  :scared:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85002 on: March 11, 2021, 07:31:28 pm »
Gee, am I missing something here? Other than a cable modem (not shown) to convert from RG-6 to CAT 5/6 this is the extent of my "data center" requirements.  :-//

KISS principle in full effect.  :-DD

Exactly that. Despite being an IT bod, this is mine. Note the one entire ethernet port being used which isn’t even plugged into anything at the moment. Everything is on 5 gig WiFi.

Edit: oh and the Cisco 1900 that is lurking under my TV unit unloved and unconfigured because I can’t be arsed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 07:34:34 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85003 on: March 11, 2021, 07:37:03 pm »
Then, while picking the part up off the cloth to place it back in the movement, my tweezers go sproing and the battery contact flicks past my ear into oblivion.  ::)

After 3 failed attempts down on hands & knees, I've given up the search. :palm:

mnem
*currently being stalked by a wild Thing #1, who wants me to build PC with him*
Don't worry. The sweeper bar on the Hoover will find and you'll hear it being ripped to shreds.  :palm:   

If only it were big enough for that to be possible... I might have found it.  :o   It's a little bit of gold-plated hardened brass aboot the size of half a pinky fingernail trimming... :palm:

I've packed all the tiny bits away in little crack-baggies in a component drawer unit until such time as my parts unit arrives. Best to put it out of my mind for now. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to grind some screwzz*
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 07:46:33 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85004 on: March 11, 2021, 07:58:26 pm »
nixie counters in the bedroom???

damn......you are a kinky smirf!

Yes, it's that awkward moment on the first "real" date, where she asks whether you are into anything like leather or bondage or whatever and you say you have a soft spot for Nixies in the bedroom (and she then quickly heads to Google with a confused and slightly scared look on her face).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85005 on: March 11, 2021, 08:05:28 pm »
For those of you who still think I'm nuts and are convinced that mass re-cap is a waste of time I invite you to watch this.  ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85006 on: March 11, 2021, 08:19:44 pm »

Yes, it's that awkward moment on the first "real" date, where she asks whether you are into anything like leather or bondage or whatever and you say you have a soft spot for Nixies in the bedroom (and she then quickly heads to Google with a confused and slightly scared look on her face).

McBryce.

No, being the cop she has an eye for detail. So every time she visits she scans the place and usually within a minute notes the differences. She asks what's that? I answer her. Her response is I have no clue as to what that is but if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. But you can see the look on her face and slight smile that says I'm crazy.       :-DD

BTW, none of that stuff in the bedroom is powered. Strictly storage/display.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85007 on: March 11, 2021, 08:19:46 pm »
On the home electronics & improvement: Today I made two improvements to my living room.
3D-printed case for the RaspberryPi that is my MusicPlayerDaemon web-radio (Radio Paradise most of the time),
and a sufficiently size pice of angled aluminium for the "5in1 RGB-CCT" Led strip that is my evening ambient light -
it's no longer held together by clothes pins! (mostly, OK there is one left  ;))
So I am happy, adequately lighted and sounded & pondering to buy a piece yokogawa TE :palm:
Edit: Not sure if there is need to clarify, but it's mainly to fill a Yokogawa-sized hole in my heart
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 08:47:40 pm by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #85008 on: March 11, 2021, 08:40:38 pm »
For those of you who still think I'm nuts and are convinced that mass re-cap is a waste of time I invite you to watch this.  ;D

:)
Just this minute watched it too and certainly most of the caps in it were toast !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85009 on: March 11, 2021, 08:48:05 pm »
Philips / BC. Unsurprised.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85010 on: March 11, 2021, 09:12:24 pm »

Noticed that too.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85011 on: March 11, 2021, 09:18:57 pm »
   Ugghhh. Looks like the RotoLog is a leaky battery victim. |O
(SNIP)
mnem
I think I'm going back to bed. :o

Argghh...

Got everything cleaned up both spic and span; my cheap Chinese LED magnifier was plenty of magnification, and I was very lucky to find no perforated traces. :-+

Then, while picking the part up off the cloth to place it back in the movement, my tweezers go sproing and the battery contact flicks past my ear into oblivion.  ::)

After 3 failed attempts down on hands & knees, I've given up the search. :palm:

Fortunately (maybe unfortunately for my future sanity...? :-//), this watch uses the ubiquitous Miyota 2035 movement... so I've got one (probably a cheap Chinese knockoff of this cheap Japanese movement) coming for $3; I'll rob the battery contact out of it in a month or two. Meantime, I guess I need to seal this thing up in baggies and stash it all somewhere safe-safe...  :P

mnem
*currently being stalked by a wild Thing #1, who wants me to build PC with him*
strong magnet no good?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85012 on: March 11, 2021, 09:25:00 pm »

McBryce.

No, being the cop she has an eye for detail. So every time she visits she scans the place and usually within a minute notes the differences. She asks what's that? I answer her. Her response is I have no clue as to what that is but if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. But you can see the look on her face and slight smile that says I'm crazy.       :-DD

The $64000 question is do you ever use that stuff in earnest apart from putting it on the torture rack periodically for a burn in test or for additional heating  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85013 on: March 11, 2021, 09:30:41 pm »
Then, while picking the part up off the cloth to place it back in the movement, my tweezers go sproing and the battery contact flicks past my ear into oblivion.  ::) (SNIP)

After 3 failed attempts down on hands & knees, I've given up the search... :palm:
strong magnet no good?
Tried and no joy, I'm afraid. That was attempt #2.  :-\

mnem
*halfway screw'd*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85014 on: March 11, 2021, 10:00:07 pm »

McBryce.

The $64000 question is do you ever use that stuff in earnest apart from putting it on the torture rack periodically for a burn in test or for additional heating  :-DD

Nunya.  >:D

mnem
And that is a correct answer... pay up. :-DD
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:16:06 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85015 on: March 11, 2021, 10:15:36 pm »

Welp... now I'm screwed.  :-DD

mnem
"Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet? Are we building my PC yet...?" ~ Thing #1    :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85016 on: March 11, 2021, 10:19:11 pm »
Yep bastard blue Philips always the first suspect.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85017 on: March 11, 2021, 10:32:15 pm »
But they're such a lovely shade of blue... surely they cannot be evil.  >:D

mnem

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85018 on: March 11, 2021, 10:33:10 pm »
Yep bastard blue Philips always the first suspect.
Notice how most of the 4.7uF were OK ?
For the others it's like the designers chose the wrong spec cap for them to be so badly toasted.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85019 on: March 11, 2021, 10:40:59 pm »
They lasted the design life of the unit  :-//

We’re running this shit well into the tail end of the bell curve.

Incidentally I have just received a whole bag of capacitors for the D755. May start attacking it on Saturday. It’s a long job that one. 43 caps to replace, all in weird places. I’m doing one module at a time then retesting.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85020 on: March 11, 2021, 10:43:25 pm »
Hopefully there's no fubars on the silkscreen.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85021 on: March 11, 2021, 10:47:03 pm »
I’m taking photos as I go. I took nearly 100 during inspection and carefully cross referenced them against observed values and the service manual and change notes I have.

Some installed caps were 25v on 24v lines and the manual specs minimum 40v so those are being corrected as well.

Edit: furry trimmer!  :scared:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85022 on: March 11, 2021, 11:10:16 pm »
I'm sure that's just general cruft, but it places it looks horribly like the dreaded tin whiskers.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85023 on: March 11, 2021, 11:25:47 pm »
It’s growing out of the plastic. I think I mentioned this the other day.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #85024 on: March 11, 2021, 11:27:02 pm »
It’s growing out of the plastic. I think I mentioned this the other day.

Must be past puberty then...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf