Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17491040 times)

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84800 on: March 09, 2021, 04:54:00 pm »
Back to TEA.
I just increased my Tektronix TE stash by about 30% and it's not a 'scope.

I've been watching a Tektronix 492BP spectrum analyzer on ebay for a couple of weeks. I made a cheeky offer this morning and it was countered for an extra £25 so I just pulled the trigger  :scared:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203299979899
I even have SWMBO permission, she thinks that "it looks better than the normal junk".
Unusually it comes complete with the front cover, external diplexer AND 26.5GHz external mixer  8)
I hope it works OK without a mass tantalum replacement. I'll also run through KE5FX's recommendations.
I used 492APs in the day job many years ago, itwill be nice to play with one again. It fills a gap in my SA coverage which previously stopped at 2.7GHz.
SA count now at 6, not counting FFT functions on 'scopes and ADC's or SDR functionality.
Now I just need to make space for it. Not being 19" rack it won't fit in the analyser "stack".

Good find. Normally the external mixer is always missing. I fixed a 492PGM some time ago. They are easy to work with but the riser boards are necessary for some adjustments.

The good thing about the BP model is that it contain most of the features that was optional (prefilter, gpib, saving trace) on the old 492 models.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:10:08 pm by Kosmic »

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84801 on: March 09, 2021, 05:07:09 pm »
Back to TEA.

I've been watching a Tektronix 492BP spectrum analyzer on ebay for a couple of weeks. I made a cheeky offer this morning and it was countered for an extra £25 so I just pulled the trigger  :scared:

I even have SWMBO permission, she thinks that "it looks better than the normal junk".
Unusually it comes complete with the front cover, external diplexer AND 26.5GHz external mixer  8)
I hope it works OK without a mass tantalum replacement. I'll also run through KE5FX's recommendations.
I used 492APs in the day job many years ago, itwill be nice to play with one again. It fills a gap in my SA coverage which previously stopped at 2.7GHz.
SA count now at 6, not counting FFT functions on 'scopes and ADC's or SDR functionality.
Now I just need to make space for it. Not being 19" rack it won't fit in the analyser "stack".

6 spectrum analyzers?

you sir, have a serious problem.

seek help immediately.

grate means that I have the same problem.
I just figured  out that I currently also owning 6 SA , what is wrong with me  :palm: :palm:

And the worth part is that I'm currently looking for another  one :D

see attachment.   but please note that this does not apply to counters.  counters don't mmmmmm eerrrrrrr......count.

I'm waaaaaaaaaay past that point...   :palm:  (and I'm afraid to try to count my counters)

I feel better in some way when  I see such pictures, my place is not that bad ........... jet.
I'm afraid that it’s  only a matter of time.

Of curse counter are out of scope because you always  need n+1 counter and same rules apply for MM :D

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84802 on: March 09, 2021, 06:05:58 pm »
Oooooh... shiny....
Just cram it all in there and button it all up. That’s why they invented that new style of case: hiding crimes  :-DD

Well... in my defense... a lot of the stuff being sold as premium hardware is mostly OTS and not even tidied up for shit. That corrugated loom is to hide this random Fans & Y-adapters, etc... shit-show that came on my water-cooled RTX 2080 Super.  :palm:  Right now I'm trying to talk myself out of making the CPU hoses match.  :-DD

...mnem is not helping with that posting images. In fact I’m trying to come up with a justification to build myself one  :-DD

Just to add to your misery; I did this before breakfast to tidy up a similar Y-cable and too-long-leads charlie-foxtrot on the fans for my son's new AiO cooler. I figured since I was already in there hacking the undulating RGB unicorn blarff to a nice sedate dim blue... :-DD

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:10:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #84803 on: March 09, 2021, 06:08:16 pm »
Back to TEA.

6 spectrum analyzers?

seek help immediately.

I just figured  out that I currently also owning 6 SA , what is wrong with me  :palm: :palm:

see attachment.   but please note that this does not apply to counters.  counters don't mmmmmm eerrrrrrr......count.

I'm waaaaaaaaaay past that point...   :palm:  (and I'm afraid to try to count my counters)

Thanks for posting that... my TEAS is under control i think  :-DD
not counting counters eather
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:10:11 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84804 on: March 09, 2021, 06:09:15 pm »
Pat, I sent the film crew to your house. You win!  :-DD :-DD

No TEA today. Temperature outside is 17 C for the first time in months. Cleaning up both cars and doing minor maintenance.  :-+

BTW.....if any of those 500 series (except the 561B) are bothering you I'd gladly make a road trip and take it off your hands. Just sayin'.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:12:33 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #84805 on: March 09, 2021, 06:29:33 pm »
Pat, I sent the film crew to your house. You win!  :-DD :-DD

No TEA today. Temperature outside is 17 C for the first time in months. Cleaning up both cars and doing minor maintenance.  :-+

BTW.....if any of those 500 series (except the 561B) are bothering you I'd gladly make a road trip and take it off your hands. Just sayin'.  ;D

My best friend and his wife were standing with me outside my garage a few years ago, and both told me that they need to die before I do so they don't have to deal with what's in my house.   :-DD  (I'd imagine it is painfully obvious that I lack a SWMBO to keep me in check acquisitions-wise...)

LOL - I'll keep you in mind if any duplicates show up.  I'm always looking for 'strays' at the museum...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #84806 on: March 09, 2021, 06:31:20 pm »
Back to TEA.

6 spectrum analyzers?

seek help immediately.

You can see the floor. You're fine.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Specmaster, syau

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #84807 on: March 09, 2021, 06:45:30 pm »
I definitely need to tidy up.

Want to pack up my stuff and move to a Jeanneau 64 ....

Were's the multimillions ticket ?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84808 on: March 09, 2021, 06:47:52 pm »
seems there are eddies in the juice - PSU continuum.

My 1kW Corsair autoshutdown several times today. Had to take a card out to get it back to stable.
FFS, down to 420 MH/s ...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #84809 on: March 09, 2021, 07:01:46 pm »
You can see the floor. You're fine.

LOL - that's only because I've been cleaning, and moved a bunch of stuff downstairs to new shelves in order to better organize the repair queue.  It was worse a few weeks ago.

-Pat

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #84810 on: March 09, 2021, 07:56:47 pm »
That is a great stash Pat, I think that you know when you are in trouble when the stack of gear hits the ceiling!  Errrr ahem - looks other way, shuffling quietly.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Mortymore

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84811 on: March 09, 2021, 07:59:54 pm »
The bloody keyboard being used has snuffed it hence the stupid order of letters and weird speech in this post. There is a letter I have to avoid typing that is between N and . . Very annoyed  >:(. And of course the store with an equivalent designation of a certain rainforest could not deliver a suitable alternative today, preferring to leave it up the road at another house. Grr.

Although it appears that it is possible to write without the letter in question quite easily with lesser changes to the words used :)

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84812 on: March 09, 2021, 08:12:29 pm »
should I send over something to terminate the keyboard for good ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84813 on: March 09, 2021, 08:14:40 pm »
Apparently I can achieve that without explosives!  :-DD

Edit: found a suitable replacement lurking in a storage box under a bed! Good old IBM/Lenovo SK-8825! Forgotten how not horrible they are. Also all the keys are the right size and where they are supposed to be!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:23:16 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84814 on: March 09, 2021, 08:24:30 pm »
<ALT>077 to the rescue?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84815 on: March 09, 2021, 08:28:41 pm »
The bloody keyboard being used has snuffed it hence the stupid order of letters and weird speech in this post. There is a letter I have to avoid typing that is between N and . . Very annoyed  >:(. And of course the store with an equivalent designation of a certain rainforest could not deliver a suitable alternative today, preferring to leave it up the road at another house. Grr.

Although it appears that it is possible to write without the letter in question quite easily with lesser changes to the words used :)

Awww... here you go buddy; this should keep you until Bezos' buttheads can deliver...

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84816 on: March 09, 2021, 08:30:21 pm »

Awww... here you go buddy; this should keep you going until Bezos' buttheads can deliver:

mnem

:-DD Reply from the late Bob Pease  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84817 on: March 09, 2021, 08:41:16 pm »
LMAO.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84818 on: March 09, 2021, 08:46:04 pm »
That is a great stash Pat, I think that you know when you are in trouble when the stack of gear hits the ceiling!  Errrr ahem - looks other way, shuffling quietly.

After seeing Pat's stash and your piled to the ceiling I've come to the conclusion that I have plenty of room for expansion and damn the floor loading.  :P :P :-DD   

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #84819 on: March 09, 2021, 08:48:13 pm »
Things to do in Russia, when you're bored...

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84820 on: March 09, 2021, 08:53:24 pm »

This is going to be like the episode with the dead oven isn't it? Days and days of people posting about baked things is going to be replaced with a marvellous, multicoloured, multicultural magnificence of massively m'alliterative messages.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84821 on: March 09, 2021, 08:57:53 pm »
Things to do in Russia, when you're bored...

His first mistake. Owning a Hummer. Giant POS. After foaming it up he should have driven it off a cliff.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #84822 on: March 09, 2021, 09:10:30 pm »

After seeing Pat's stash and your piled to the ceiling I've come to the conclusion that I have plenty of room for expansion and damn the floor loading.  :P :P :-DD   

The basement's where it gets close to the ceiling.  I need to reorganize and get benches set up down there - it's a concrete floor.  Less concern about loading.

(And for the record, I am currently trying to not order anything from evilbay.  I'm on day 8 today...  <nervously chews fingernails> ) (this of course does not prevent me from LOOKING, but for the moment I'm resisting.)

-Pat

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84823 on: March 09, 2021, 09:12:09 pm »
Well, I did something useful for electronics.
That's 2 PCB Holder posts with magnet under them. I turned them on my metal lathe ( Emco Compact 8 )

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84824 on: March 09, 2021, 09:13:46 pm »
@Cubdriver:

Have you ever considered a collaboration with Mr. Carlson's Lab?  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf