Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17491949 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84775 on: March 09, 2021, 04:34:30 am »
I wouldn’t bother with that. There will be restrictions. Amazon make a hell of a lot of money selling outbound bandwidth and they’re not going to give that away at prime prices.

And now for something completely different. Sinclair and High Voltage. Run to the hills! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274712694142
Well, I've looked through a lot of their info and I there doesn't seem to any restrictions other than as long as you're a "Prime" customer, its all included, along with 5GB of space for general files.

Nothing wrong with it so long as you stay Hooked into the Prime drug ;) How many 'free' photo sharing sites have come and gone leaving holes in forums over time? Think I will stick to selective use of my Google Drive 'free' lot and post photos here and keep my own backed up on NAS and PC.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84776 on: March 09, 2021, 05:33:25 am »
It's the systems engineer who has the dB meter, not the DJ.

Well yes, now he has "people for dat"; but I imagine even deadmau5 started out as a one-man-show.  :P 

<snip>

Were these kids expert Sound Reinforcement professionals...? Hell no. But this generation certainly can surprise the hell out of you with just how much they have learned the hard way.

it's a whole new world man...

mnem
*currently nuking a water-cooled GPU*

Typically, in the one-man shows, you still don't. I call it "the wedding circuit", because that's what you play. A lot of the time today it's probably replaced with a Spotify playlist on a Bluetooth speaker, [*barf*] (mostly at the speaker) but yes, the kids are impressive with what they pick up, while at the same time being very naîve.

We were naîve and clueless, perhaps more in harmony but definitely worse off. Things get better.

Finally, those who get gear are going to get weighted down by it. Those who play other people's gear and focus on the art of the performance, they're set for something big. I've been employed at a small gear shop, who still exist, but they do nothing cool today, simply bolt Bose crap and projectors to hotel walls. (but a major metric butt-load-ton of respect to them for getting a Triple-A credit rating and staying in business for 40+ years in a sometimes very shady field of work, where the competition can play very ugly.)  Not until I went free-lance did I get to work at the cool gigs. One of the cool gigs, in retrospect, was building TV trucks, which is a big part of why I'm really good at what I do today.

Understood every word you said... and take it as gospel. Where I was going with that is that a SPL meter is hardly esoteric gear any more.

Now that I think of it, there are a dozen apps for iPwn that will give results close enough to a cal'd SPL meter that you don't need one unless you're actually a lab and need the paper trail. I know there are similar apps for Android, but with all the variations in actual hardware... no idea how accurate they could possibly be on every possible phone/tablet.  :-//
   Hmmm... yeah, I guess that does kindof close circle on your original point, tho. No need for them to spend that kind of dosh when all they need to do is snurch their girlfriend's iPwn.  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #84777 on: March 09, 2021, 05:58:45 am »
I think everybody here could write a book regarding HR fucked up stories.
Right now it's like I am in the Big Lebowski movie.

massive mappets alert!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 03:23:40 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84778 on: March 09, 2021, 06:01:00 am »

Oooooh... shiny....  :o

Okay... maybe it's still a work in progress.  :-DD

mnem
But hey... today I got my son to solder some fan wires together on his new PC! :-+
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84779 on: March 09, 2021, 07:18:01 am »
Just cram it all in there and button it all up. That’s why they invented that new style of case: hiding crimes  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84780 on: March 09, 2021, 08:49:18 am »
Just cram it all in there and button it all up. That’s why they invented that new style of case: hiding crimes  :-DD

I remember the Sun pizza boxes. Those were well built. After that, not so much. Some office desktops are OK, I just commissioned a Lenovo micro-chassis for my parents (going from 1,5GHz Celery with 4GiB RAM and W10Home to 3+GHz Pentium Gold (still el-cheapo, but...) with 16GiB and W10Pro) and that hardware is quite OK.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:54:18 am by mansaxel »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84781 on: March 09, 2021, 08:53:32 am »

Its about 'knowing' what is inside. Do it for others or buy it with NFI then yep cram it in and shut the door  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84782 on: March 09, 2021, 09:02:12 am »

mnem
But hey... today I got my son to solder some fan wires together on his new PC! :-+

Then you need to work on adding an inappropriate Case ornament ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84783 on: March 09, 2021, 10:54:23 am »

I remember the Sun pizza boxes. Those were well built. After that, not so much. Some office desktops are OK, I just commissioned a Lenovo micro-chassis for my parents (going from 1,5GHz Celery with 4GiB RAM and W10Home to 3+GHz Pentium Gold (still el-cheapo, but...) with 16GiB and W10Pro) and that hardware is quite OK.

Dunno about that. I had a bent SPARCstation 10 once  :-DD

The Lenovo corp boxes I have to agree with. Although just had a run in with a rather ancient one my mother was using, I think an M93, which appears to have blown up.

Alas I’m not getting out of my PC build here as I’m doing her an i3 ITX build to replace it. Another Lenovo would do but I’m bored. Feel the need to build a PC. Mnem is not helping with that posting images. In fact I’m trying to come up with a justification to build myself one  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84784 on: March 09, 2021, 12:53:40 pm »
Ok, so a post-Brexit update. Just got a paper letter from Postnord that they want 13 SEK import VAT and a 75 SEK handling fee for a parcel with 5 T-shirts from the Tank Museum at Bovington.  Royal Mail gave Postnord the parcel February 25, and they've been sitting on it ever since. 

Right about now, UK shipping to the EU is on par with China in speed and attraction. Certainly goes in the same queue.

I feel I must congratulate the United Kingdom to their newly found freedom from the Brussels tyranny. And focus my Ebay shopping to Germany. (an envelope with 5 9V battery terminals, free shipping, 5 days from Germany. That's like a faster China from before Postnord decided to slap VAT  and handling on everything)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84785 on: March 09, 2021, 12:56:25 pm »

mnem

Stick a retro filament lamp on top and an AVO 8 graphic on the side  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84786 on: March 09, 2021, 01:00:48 pm »
Ok, so a post-Brexit update. Just got a paper letter from Postnord that they want 13 SEK import VAT and a 75 SEK handling fee for a parcel with 5 T-shirts from the Tank Museum at Bovington.  Royal Mail gave Postnord the parcel February 25, and they've been sitting on it ever since. 

Right about now, UK shipping to the EU is on par with China in speed and attraction. Certainly goes in the same queue.

I feel I must congratulate the United Kingdom to their newly found freedom from the Brussels tyranny. And focus my Ebay shopping to Germany. (an envelope with 5 9V battery terminals, free shipping, 5 days from Germany. That's like a faster China from before Postnord decided to slap VAT  and handling on everything)

Shipping from China is still good. I got a JLCPCB order this morning that was sent surface mail and it was dispatched on Wed last week.

But yes it's a massive shit show.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84787 on: March 09, 2021, 01:26:40 pm »
Back to TEA.
I just increased my Tektronix TE stash by about 30% and it's not a 'scope.

I've been watching a Tektronix 492BP spectrum analyzer on ebay for a couple of weeks. I made a cheeky offer this morning and it was countered for an extra £25 so I just pulled the trigger  :scared:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203299979899
I even have SWMBO permission, she thinks that "it looks better than the normal junk".
Unusually it comes complete with the front cover, external diplexer AND 26.5GHz external mixer  8)
I hope it works OK without a mass tantalum replacement. I'll also run through KE5FX's recommendations.
I used 492APs in the day job many years ago, itwill be nice to play with one again. It fills a gap in my SA coverage which previously stopped at 2.7GHz.
SA count now at 6, not counting FFT functions on 'scopes and ADC's or SDR functionality.
Now I just need to make space for it. Not being 19" rack it won't fit in the analyser "stack".

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, Kosmic, syau

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84788 on: March 09, 2021, 01:34:49 pm »
Back to TEA.

I've been watching a Tektronix 492BP spectrum analyzer on ebay for a couple of weeks. I made a cheeky offer this morning and it was countered for an extra £25 so I just pulled the trigger  :scared:
I even have SWMBO permission, she thinks that "it looks better than the normal junk".
Unusually it comes complete with the front cover, external diplexer AND 26.5GHz external mixer  8)
I hope it works OK without a mass tantalum replacement. I'll also run through KE5FX's recommendations.
I used 492APs in the day job many years ago, itwill be nice to play with one again. It fills a gap in my SA coverage which previously stopped at 2.7GHz.
SA count now at 6, not counting FFT functions on 'scopes and ADC's or SDR functionality.
Now I just need to make space for it. Not being 19" rack it won't fit in the analyser "stack".

6 spectrum analyzers?

you sir, have a serious problem.

seek help immediately.

free range primate

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84789 on: March 09, 2021, 01:36:57 pm »
Didn't seem like a problem to me .... but, then, look at where we are.    :-DD

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84790 on: March 09, 2021, 01:51:32 pm »

The UK is in a total mess - there's no point dealing with them until they recover their common sense, which will take a while given how many otherwise intelligent people seem to think it is a good idea to have nothing to do with your local trade bloc...   unbelievable.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84791 on: March 09, 2021, 02:08:39 pm »
Back to TEA.

6 spectrum analyzers?

seek help immediately.

grate means that I have the same problem.
I just figured  out that I currently also owning 6 SA , what is wrong with me  :palm: :palm:

And the worth part is that I'm currently looking for another  one :D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84792 on: March 09, 2021, 02:18:44 pm »

I have a 492AP. Get the manual from ArtekMedia.

You'll have hours of fun if you have to remove the PSU: it is the entire rear-end "cap" of the case. (I had to remove it in order to replace the fan). The positions of cables and connectors is "imaginative", as in you have to use your imagination to insert/replace them.

Apart from that, I quite like it. I inserted a MiniCircuits 10MHz-18GHz high pass filter inside the case to reduce the chance of damaging the front end with DC.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84793 on: March 09, 2021, 02:44:00 pm »
Back to TEA.

6 spectrum analyzers?

seek help immediately.

I just figured  out that I currently also owning 6 SA , what is wrong with me  :palm: :palm:

see attachment.   but please note that this does not apply to counters.  counters don't mmmmmm eerrrrrrr......count.
free range primate

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84794 on: March 09, 2021, 02:53:34 pm »
see attachment.   but please note that this does not apply to counters.  counters don't mmmmmm eerrrrrrr......count.

You could use this very nice equipement from Hewlett Packard to count your counters.  ;D

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84795 on: March 09, 2021, 02:58:43 pm »

You could use this very nice equipement from Hewlett Packard to count your counters.  ;D

I'm not sure that the update rate on it is enough to keep up with him (or Tony for that matter).  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84796 on: March 09, 2021, 03:45:01 pm »
Back to TEA.

6 spectrum analyzers?

seek help immediately.

What is that film crew doing in front of my place?  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #84797 on: March 09, 2021, 04:22:51 pm »

I'm not sure that the update rate on it is enough to keep up with him (or Tony for that matter).  :)
Just notify Count count.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84798 on: March 09, 2021, 04:31:30 pm »

mnem

Stick a retro filament lamp on top and an AVO 8 graphic on the side  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I was thinking screw the light up octopus toy altogether and go with the genuine article instead of a lookalike: a mercury arc rectifier.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #84799 on: March 09, 2021, 04:36:32 pm »
Back to TEA.

6 spectrum analyzers?

seek help immediately.

I'm waaaaaaaaaay past that point...   :palm:  (and I'm afraid to try to count my counters)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:39:20 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, syau, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf