Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18060395 times)

onsokumaru, Wolfgang and 86 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84575 on: March 06, 2021, 05:41:32 am »
I am truly humbled by the assistance offered by members here.  I am currently communicating with two people with an interest in helping me resolve my PC aspirations.

The EEVblog is a good place to be.   :-+

(Yes, even with Bean and all you other enablers......)

I can guess who those offering such assistance are.  My son, SWMBO and SWMBO's mother are all receiving the benefits of PC aspirations and appreciate it.
Me, on the other hand, have a computer in the same vintage as Brumby's.  No rush to upgrade...
--- "Honey, I need this TE so I can fix up my computer to be just as fast as yours"

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84576 on: March 06, 2021, 05:49:21 am »
Trust the Swedes and New Zealanders to be difficult  :D
You learn something new every day.
I always thought that the dials on New Zealand telephones were more logical with the numbering increasing in the clockwise direction - everyone else in the world seemed to number their dials in reverse.

The NZ telephone system was essentially based on British equipment and used the same dial mechanisms in the phones. As a result the reverse ordering of the telephone dial numbers resulted in our emergency number being 111 rather 999 as in the British system.

The Oz one is 000, go figure!

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #84577 on: March 06, 2021, 05:52:16 am »
I need a NASA mug😁

This one?   ;D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143890235644
That is cool, but the seller doesn't send to Aus, I need to do some searching😁

I can play parcel proxy if you want. :-)
Many thanks for the offer.
I pulled my finger out, and found a few different NASA mugs, including that great one that you found, some semi local, so not too much post, or chance for breakage, my wife sighs - 'such a nerd' 😁
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #84578 on: March 06, 2021, 05:56:09 am »
I always thought that the dials on New Zealand telephones were more logical with the numbering increasing in the clockwise direction - everyone else in the world seemed to number their dials in reverse.

The NZ telephone system was essentially based on British equipment and used the same dial mechanisms in the phones. As a result the reverse ordering of the telephone dial numbers resulted in our emergency number being 111 rather 999 as in the British system.

I thought the logic behind this was, in the old dials of Australia, the zero had 10 pulses, hence less likely to be accidentally dialled.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84579 on: March 06, 2021, 06:11:33 am »
I thought the logic behind this was, in the old dials of Australia, the zero had 10 pulses, hence less likely to be accidentally dialled.
That was my understanding, also.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84580 on: March 06, 2021, 06:36:27 am »
Non Ham road kit :palm: Still need to glue the layers but the test fit look good.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84581 on: March 06, 2021, 07:30:28 am »
That was my understanding, also.

In rotary times, we had 90000 in Sweden for emergency (still works, btw) which is along the same idea, being 10,1,1,1,1 pulses. With EU, we share the 112 emergency number which is quite easy to hand-tap on an answer-only phone... (myself, I don't trust such devices, so if I were to put such a phone somewhere, I'd restrict it in the PABX dialling plan. But let 112 through anyway. )

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #84582 on: March 06, 2021, 08:07:03 am »

The Oz telephone system is completely weird.

I spent a few years working in the Australian telecommunications industry, mainly modifying internationally compliant telephone equipment so it could inter-work with the special requirements of the Australian telephone system.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84583 on: March 06, 2021, 08:57:26 am »
Random stuff....

Canada? Germany? Any sign of the 3456A C5 adapter board yet? It's been a week. Perhaps I'm asking too much of the various postal services.  ::)

And yes, helping each other on the blog is what we do.  :-+ A lot of it takes place behind the scenes unknown to the general audience.

EU/UK....DST starts here next weekend (March 14). When does it start there?  :-//

That burnt up car was towed away last night. Good thing the parking area is gravel/dirt because if it were paved it would have melted it.

Brumby, agreed, I don't like to tempt Murphy which is why I'm so anal about capacitor replacement.  :scared:

UPS sez the Mouser order will be delivered Monday. No surprise there. I did get another e-mail from Mouser stating that for the near future orders will take 2 to 5 days to fill. They did not define how long "near future" is which indicates it might be longer than we think. Not good news.   :(
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84584 on: March 06, 2021, 09:05:13 am »

......snip

Left to right: Some more measurement after ca. 2h uptime, The two pictures to the left are showing the complete plot so far. The overshoot can be seen very nicely and it seems it want to settle somewhere around 9.997200V (actually it shows 9.997238V). There are also some spikes downwards, no idea actually where they are coming from. Will observe this further. The two pictures to the right are showing the details of these spikes. There are also some spikes upwards. My guess is: they are caused when the heater of the oven gets switched on. will check this as well.

Very nice! I've used those supplies in the past at work but don't own any. Now considering how minutely small those spikes are does it really matter? I don't think even the most sensitive equipment is going to even notice it.

The spike's value is probably the average over the measurement interval. Hence it might be 0V for 0.01% of the time, or whatever.

A good exercise and clean of the switch contacts and probably the cal trimpots might well help.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84585 on: March 06, 2021, 11:30:33 am »
Random stuff....

Canada? Germany? Any sign of the 3456A C5 adapter board yet? It's been a week. Perhaps I'm asking too much of the various postal services.  ::)

And yes, helping each other on the blog is what we do.  :-+ A lot of it takes place behind the scenes unknown to the general audience.

EU/UK....DST starts here next weekend (March 14). When does it start there?  :-//

That burnt up car was towed away last night. Good thing the parking area is gravel/dirt because if it were paved it would have melted it.

Brumby, agreed, I don't like to tempt Murphy which is why I'm so anal about capacitor replacement.  :scared:

UPS sez the Mouser order will be delivered Monday. No surprise there. I did get another e-mail from Mouser stating that for the near future orders will take 2 to 5 days to fill. They did not define how long "near future" is which indicates it might be longer than we think. Not good news.   :(
Don't turn your back on Murphy, he can still get ya even with new caps being fitted, he's always plottings ways to get ya. He is a very resourceful and persistent guy   >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84586 on: March 06, 2021, 11:38:09 am »
Random stuff....

No arrivals here from the States but honestly, I'm expecting it earliest next week. You are not Mouser or FedEx/UPS   :-DD

DST is starting here (EU) at the last weekend of March.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84587 on: March 06, 2021, 11:43:08 am »
Slightly obscure TEA list of lists and info. Worth a good read or bookmarking in case it hasn't been in the past https://www.davmar.org/elec.html

Reason I found it was this fairly obscure Newport Labs (USA) Frequency Counter not far from me. Bit Crusty but lots of digits  eBay auction: #154358978444

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84588 on: March 06, 2021, 11:55:01 am »

......snip

Left to right: Some more measurement after ca. 2h uptime, The two pictures to the left are showing the complete plot so far. The overshoot can be seen very nicely and it seems it want to settle somewhere around 9.997200V (actually it shows 9.997238V). There are also some spikes downwards, no idea actually where they are coming from. Will observe this further. The two pictures to the right are showing the details of these spikes. There are also some spikes upwards. My guess is: they are caused when the heater of the oven gets switched on. will check this as well.

Very nice! I've used those supplies in the past at work but don't own any. Now considering how minutely small those spikes are does it really matter? I don't think even the most sensitive equipment is going to even notice it.

The spike's value is probably the average over the measurement interval. Hence it might be 0V for 0.01% of the time, or whatever.

A good exercise and clean of the switch contacts and probably the cal trimpots might well help.

Quick update:
It is running now since yesterday and it drifts continuously upwards.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84589 on: March 06, 2021, 12:04:09 pm »
Probably need to bake out all the moisture as well. Agree with tggzzz on the pots - the big "HP style" ones are notoriously dicky after time and will probably need a squirt of (no residue) switch cleaner and some exercise.

But at the end of the day, none of my meters will even register that drift  :-DD

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84590 on: March 06, 2021, 12:50:41 pm »
[...]
But at the end of the day, none of my meters will even register that drift  :-DD
Well, certainly time for a new meter then?  ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, beanflying

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84591 on: March 06, 2021, 01:03:39 pm »
Having failed to find any sensibly priced software to drive the SeeGull IBflex scanner / SA I stuck it on ebay last night. Got up this moring it had sold on a wutomatically accepted offer. Going to a commercail outfit in the USA. Even after the free shipping and paypal fees I made 400% profit so the TEA fund is good at the moment.  :-+
I kept the rather nice, but unidentified power-supply / backup / charger unit that has two 14.4V hot swap batteries and time left display.

Edit: Just checked and looks like those Inspired Energy NL2024 batteries are expensive £300 from China. I won't be buying any spares.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 01:10:21 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84592 on: March 06, 2021, 02:01:04 pm »
[...]

I’m working on it. eBay is not being helpful enough in that department at the moment  >:(

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84593 on: March 06, 2021, 02:09:02 pm »
[...]

I’m working on it. eBay is not being helpful enough in that department at the moment  >:(

There you go the seller is even a good bloke too  >:D eBay auction: #143967147933

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84594 on: March 06, 2021, 02:11:42 pm »
34401A or bust  :-DD

So far bust  :(

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84595 on: March 06, 2021, 02:32:37 pm »
Dear TEA-fellownuts,

today (Friday) the Power Desingns Model 2005A showed up at my doorstep.

I am green with envy!

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84596 on: March 06, 2021, 02:42:10 pm »
That is a nice one that is!

Toellner TOE 8735-2
starting bid: 199.- Euro, currently zero bids.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133680309577

And, as usual: NAWTS.

Oh yes, that beats my older 8735 hands down! Mine has only 0..15 V and the symmetric output is fixed at ±12 V.

Three days to go and still zero bids. :)
Chances are good ...

Nah. I definitely have enough PSUs in the less-than-30-volts range (11 HP6114A alone ...).

There's another nice auction that might be of interest to german TEA members, though: https://www.ebay.de/itm//383994299744
I'm afraid it'll end up at least twice its current price.  >:D

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84597 on: March 06, 2021, 02:59:52 pm »

I've said it before, Stewart of Reading have 34401As from £330 to £390 including VAT. A lot cheaper than the ones on ebay.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84598 on: March 06, 2021, 03:07:59 pm »
Finally managed to install https://wiki.partkeepr.org/wiki/Main_Page PartKeepr, the most famous Mannheim inventory software, on my Ubuntu 20.04 machine, works like a charm.
Now filling it up with all the stuff I have is a real   :scared: thing.

Cheers,
  Dc1MC

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84599 on: March 06, 2021, 03:15:07 pm »

I've said it before, Stewart of Reading have 34401As from £330 to £390 including VAT. A lot cheaper than the ones on ebay.

Not necessarily the best place to buy such an item. They have virtually no warranty and you don’t get to pick and choose. There are good and bad 34401’s and you can’t see what you’re getting. On eBay you can usually get the seller to pull the HW Rev off it and can check the serial against keysight’s service database. That can save you the £150+VAT for the display module replacement. Then there’s the HP/Agilent/Keysight design changes over the series so a later one is probably better now.

Plus I’m going to have to plug £100 on cal straight up.

I’m budgeting £250-280 which is doable if you have the eBay setup I do and are patient  ;)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:18:47 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf