Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16701137 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Robert763, flash2b, SingleBitError, Vince and 120 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84525 on: March 05, 2021, 03:14:56 pm »
Fuck my life does anyone know how to package stuff?!?!!

Yup. The scope I sent arrived fine. There was a hole in the outer box, but that's why it was two three-wall boxes plus foam to protect the knobs plus bubble wrap plus bouncy foam rubber :)

Heavy, not cheap!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:16:42 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84526 on: March 05, 2021, 03:43:56 pm »

D755 arrived. That’s all the packaging you see there. It was floating in the box with 4 inches headroom. All the outer packaging was destroyed. We’re talking 10kg scope here.

It appears it may have survived unscathed as I can’t see any cosmetic damage at least. Time will tell. I’m not powering it up yet.

Today's arrival, that HP 6611C from Ian Johnston (IanJ on here). OK, I did stress the need for good packaging after what happened to the HP 66312A but I think Ian's just using me to unload his packing materials surplus. SWMBO was quite relieved when my protestations that all of the size and most of the weight was packaging (there was a lot of that lattice cut cardboard inside that really pushed the weight up). Needless to say, arrived in perfect nick.

With all these boxes in the corner of the living room the cat's dropping heavy hints that she needs a new fort building for her.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: IanJ, BU508A, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84527 on: March 05, 2021, 03:45:21 pm »

New case. Rando Amazon driver. Pretty sure it survived a few rounds of Forklift Football in the warehouse before the carrier got it, tho.  :palm:  Or maybe on its way to Amazon.ca from Eric in Walnut, CA June of last year, per the FBA label still on the box. 

Defect return started and new one ordered; will start building in this one and swap the damaged bits over when it gets here. :-//

mnem
*drops back & punts*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84528 on: March 05, 2021, 04:22:10 pm »

New case. Rando Amazon driver. Pretty sure it survived a few rounds of Forklift Football in the warehouse before the carrier got it, tho.  :palm:  Or maybe on its way to Amazon.ca from Eric in Walnut, CA June of last year, per the FBA label still on the box. 

Defect return started and new one ordered; will start building in this one and swap the damaged bits over when it gets here. :-//

mnem
*drops back & punts*

Bitch, bitch, bitch.....that will buff out.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84529 on: March 05, 2021, 04:25:09 pm »
Ever have one of those days were you say "screw it", I'm not doing anything. Yep, today. Was going to clean up the garage. Not happening. I even called in sick on my retirement.  ;D

Just going to sit in front of the idiot box and eat bon-bons....if I had any.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #84530 on: March 05, 2021, 04:31:40 pm »
some nice pictures from the "Dau-Alarm" homepage:

http://dau-alarm.de/g_pack.html

Sorry, comments only in german, but the pictures speak for themselves.

Greetings,

Rainer

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84531 on: March 05, 2021, 04:36:01 pm »
That was painful to look at.  ::) :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84532 on: March 05, 2021, 05:11:20 pm »
That is a nice one that is!

Toellner TOE 8735-2
starting bid: 199.- Euro, currently zero bids.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133680309577

And, as usual: NAWTS.

Oh yes, that beats my older 8735 hands down! Mine has only 0..15 V and the symmetric output is fixed at ±12 V.

Three days to go and still zero bids. :)
Chances are good ...
Don't be surprised to find that there will a feeding frenzy in the closing stages of the auction for that one.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84533 on: March 05, 2021, 05:15:51 pm »
Ok update on earlier disaster. Finally found 5 minutes to look at it and we have some fun fun fun ahead  :-DD

So first of all the Telequipment mains plug has disassembled itself, which is not uncommon. It was being replaced anyway. There's not a lot of room for a replacement one so I will likely stuff an IEC socket on a trailing lead hanging off the back of it. It'll look better than the 90 year old stripper at least  :-DD

Next thing I always check is the fuse and of course, there was a 13A fuse in the plug  :palm:. It was replaced with a 3A fuse and then plugged in and the scope fired up.

Not a lot happened until I'd piddled around with the controls of course and it mostly actually works. Identified issues so far:

1. The A timebase knob is a replacement one and needs replacing with something better because it slips. I will see if I can find an original somewhere.
2. Intensity is really badly set up. Need some recal on that. At lowest intensity it's pretty bright and you can see the flyback even though z blanking is mostly working
3. The B timebase knob has not disintegrated which is a miracle!
4. Both channels work and it triggers fine.

I'll take it to bits later and check the insides out. I'm expecting to have to refurb the power supply as it'll have shitty plessey capacitors in it at least.

So it's got a Tek 465 tube in it, it isn't made directly by Tek but a Tek subsidiary. Did I violate the no more Tek 4xx series scopes rule? Nope!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84534 on: March 05, 2021, 05:19:32 pm »

D755 arrived. That’s all the packaging you see there. It was floating in the box with 4 inches headroom. All the outer packaging was destroyed. We’re talking 10kg scope here.

It appears it may have survived unscathed as I can’t see any cosmetic damage at least. Time will tell. I’m not powering it up yet.

What fucking muppets some folk are, did they not think for a single second about at least packing something top and bottom to either remove or limit the amount of free space inside the box to try and prevent the scope from moving :palm:

The fact there appears to be no physical damage is a tribute to the sturdiness of the design in the first instance, teamed with good luck  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #84535 on: March 05, 2021, 05:23:00 pm »
Delivery news this week:

The death-ray machines arrived Monday. I feel I should buy some laser safety goggles before I start messing around with these...

Tuesday's delivery arrived on a pallet.   :palm:  The shipping label said 45kg, but even including the weight of the pallet it wasn't more than 20kg. I think CDL just didn't have a box big enough. Anyway, the Peavey 112 Bandit Guitar amp arrived in good order. The RAM arrived the same day, so my PC is happily running 32GB in dual channel mode now, and I have an 8GB and a 4GB spare, probably for my Linux PC if I ever use it again.

Some LEGO Power Functions motors arrived Wednesday. I wish they wouldn't keep changing the damn connector format.   :rant:

Thursday UPS left a card, so I went on the site and signed for the delivery to be left in my "safe place" for the following day.

Today Friday, UPS left a card, so I went on the site and said AGAIN for them to leave it in a safe place, now Monday...   |O  The ONE TEA related item ffs, a Heathkit capacitor tester for more than it's worth but less than they usually go for. Hopefully the magic eye tube isn't in kit form due to UPS bouncing it off my doorstep at least 3 times.   :-//

Here's some picks for the back row popcorn crowd in here:

Some data books on unobtainium, obsolete semis you find in some vintage gear https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Four-Plessey-semiconducters-data-books-Rare/265072396869

The price does not seem unreasonable for four of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-P6139A-oscilloscope-probes-4-off-500MHz-10X-used-and-without-caps/393166007339

A crapacitor tzzzter for the Canadianians https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Restored-Heathkit-Condenser-Checker/254885485971

An oddball DMM for the Americanos https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R174433-Vintage-Sencore-DVM38-AC-DC-Digital-Bench-Multimeter/393168644506

An oddball handheld DMM for the Eurotrash, nice low ranges https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTIMETRE-SCHLUMBERGER-BIP-8040/363291926200
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84536 on: March 05, 2021, 05:23:19 pm »
All these packing and shipping pictures...maybe I need to repost what happened to those HP mugs back in the summer?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84537 on: March 05, 2021, 05:27:01 pm »
All these packing and shipping pictures...maybe I need to repost what happened to those HP mugs back in the summer?

Please don't, it was upsetting enough the first time!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84538 on: March 05, 2021, 05:27:14 pm »

Yup. The scope I sent arrived fine. There was a hole in the outer box, but that's why it was two three-wall boxes plus foam to protect the knobs plus bubble wrap plus bouncy foam rubber :)

Heavy, not cheap!
Just for the record, as a person who spent a few years as the factory maintenance engineer in a special packing company who made special shipping crates and cardboard boxes with dedicated foam packing inside them, that three wall cardboard boxes is called Tri-wall.

https://tri-wall.co.uk/
Who let Murphy in?

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #84539 on: March 05, 2021, 05:52:18 pm »
Today's arrival, that HP 6611C from Ian Johnston (IanJ on here). OK, I did stress the need for good packaging after what happened to the HP 66312A but I think Ian's just using me to unload his packing materials surplus. SWMBO was quite relieved when my protestations that all of the size and most of the weight was packaging (there was a lot of that lattice cut cardboard inside that really pushed the weight up). Needless to say, arrived in perfect nick.

With all these boxes in the corner of the living room the cat's dropping heavy hints that she needs a new fort building for her.

Every shipment I make within the UK or rest of world I use double thinkness boxes, plenty packing material etc all of which doesn't add that much extra weight......and for UK stuff the extra size doesn't mean much more for the shipping cost......and having a UPS account means very good discount on advertised rates.
I can't understand why more sellers don't see this!

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84540 on: March 05, 2021, 05:57:28 pm »

Heavy, not cheap!
Just for the record, as a person who spent a few years as the factory maintenance engineer in a special packing company who made special shipping crates and cardboard boxes with dedicated foam packing inside them, that three wall cardboard boxes is called Tri-wall.

That's a little misleading as the generic term is "triple wall", although everyone in the industry calls it  triwall board, it's only really "Tri-Wall" if it's made by Tri-Wall (who used to be American, now they're Chinese).

And, as I've said before, the toughest cardboard cases you'll find are triwall all-flaps-meet cases made for shipping Whiskey and the like - blag from from your local off-license.

Cerebus, BOFH, Reed Corrugated Cases Ltd., 1985-1988.

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84541 on: March 05, 2021, 05:58:09 pm »
I have had this problem for many years. Now I don't need to gpo shopping to find "weird stuff", just go to my storage and see what I cursed myself with 20 years ago.
Two recently unearthed gems-
First an RG resonance bridge with no manufacturer visible. Its very well made and unlikely to be a one off but kind of strange. Works for small caps and inductors from 50 KHz ro 2 MHz. The connectors on the back for the generator and the detector are also odd. Has anyone seen anything similar ever?

Second, a Honeywell potentiometer. I can't find anything on these on the web. They were once part of any serious cal lab but any info on them today seems lost. I would like at least some leads on instructions so I better understand how it would be used.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84542 on: March 05, 2021, 06:01:41 pm »

So it's got a Tek 465 tube in it, it isn't made directly by Tek but a Tek subsidiary. Did I violate the no more Tek 4xx series scopes rule? Nope!  :-DD

The CRT is what makes the signal visible. The circuitry is designed to make the image look it's best. 465 CRT in it? It's a clone 4XX series. You are therefore guilty. Nice try.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84543 on: March 05, 2021, 06:10:24 pm »
Gratuitous post of the Fenella Fielding "Do mind if I smoke", prompted by the mention of "Carry on Screaming" on the TV that's on in the background:

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84544 on: March 05, 2021, 06:19:35 pm »
Oh, the apprentices had an eating battle today. Spoiler: the skinny guy won.

The food in question was flatcakes, in the case of the loser, he had a bacon egg sausage tomato and hash brown, the winner (or wiener, can't decide) is the technically-still-an-apprentice and he had a breakfast flatcake, which has bacon egg sausage tomato hash brown beans spam mushrooms.

Neither of them was particularly keen to do much exercise work afterwards...   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, bd139

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84545 on: March 05, 2021, 06:21:10 pm »
Today was pickup day.
I was going to get one and I finally got two 8568B  :palm:  |O

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84546 on: March 05, 2021, 06:23:29 pm »
Unloading the car was kind of fun
At the end I had a TE Tower

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84547 on: March 05, 2021, 06:23:46 pm »

Heavy, not cheap!

That's a little misleading as the generic term is "triple wall", although everyone in the industry calls it  triwall board, it's only really "Tri-Wall" if it's made by Tri-Wall (who used to be American, now they're Chinese).

And, as I've said before, the toughest cardboard cases you'll find are triwall all-flaps-meet cases made for shipping Whiskey and the like - blag from from your local off-license.

Cerebus, BOFH, Reed Corrugated Cases Ltd., 1985-1988.
Those were the type of cases we used to make where I worked. It was a sister company to Marconi Radar, Marconi Marine, Marconi and English Electric Valve company. The cases were used for shipping radar dishes (huge cardboard boxes inside huge wooden crates) right down to special cardboard boxes, fitted with specially cut and shaped foam etc, glued in place to protect TV broadcasting valves etc costing many thousands of £, some were the size of a small car, others were about 3 feet in length. We also had a dedicated cabinet shop that would fit out mobile broadcasting vans so it was very interesting work. But believe me the cardboard used was proper Tri-wall (yes that was the trade name of the cardboard and also the name of the company we would buy from) and it was about then about 15 mm thick and very difficult to work with. We had to build our own cardboard forming machine in order to get it to bend into nice 90 degree bends to form the box and flaps etc.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #84548 on: March 05, 2021, 06:27:27 pm »
You guys are crazy
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84549 on: March 05, 2021, 06:39:57 pm »
I have had this problem for many years. Now I don't need to gpo shopping to find "weird stuff", just go to my storage and see what I cursed myself with 20 years ago.
Two recently unearthed gems-
First an RG resonance bridge with no manufacturer visible. Its very well made and unlikely to be a one off but kind of strange. Works for small caps and inductors from 50 KHz ro 2 MHz. The connectors on the back for the generator and the detector are also odd. Has anyone seen anything similar ever?

Second, a Honeywell potentiometer. I can't find anything on these on the web. They were once part of any serious cal lab but any info on them today seems lost. I would like at least some leads on instructions so I better understand how it would be used.

Welcome to the nuthouse TEA thread!

Nice boat anchors.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:42:41 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf