Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16705051 times)

ddrl46, Kosmic, dustooff and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84450 on: March 04, 2021, 05:42:03 pm »
Every time someone posts a pic of an AVO on here I just see an upside-down light fitting with the lamp removed...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84451 on: March 04, 2021, 05:58:28 pm »
In other news:

I've been liking the HP 66312A that I scored a while back so much that I've picked up one of its siblings, an HP 6611C (from an eevblog forum occasional member, via eBay). Should be with me on Friday if UPS have their act together (they probably haven't, I usually get a series of confusing and contradictory updates from UPS revising the expected delivery time of anything coming via them).

I've also got appointments for both my Covid-19 jabs, so if you're in the UK second wave like me (either partially decrepit or broken, or as they prefer to put it, 65+ or with underlying medical conditions) then you should get a letter soon if you haven't already.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84452 on: March 04, 2021, 06:18:18 pm »
Urrrgh.

After scouring every source available to upgrade my son's PC to something semi-civilized (i7-3770/16GB RAM) and literally not finding anything for less than $220, I gave up and dropped over $700 on a Ryzen 5/3600 build.

I'm typing this on my laptop, which is sitting on the floor where my PC used to be... as I will be kicking my case down to him and upgrading to one which is designed for Dual AiO coolers and has USB-C on the front panel. Stripping out my case will be tonight's father-son time. :-+

The really horrifiying part... the difference between my bare-minimum B550/cheap RAM/Cheap SSD build and the Aorus X570/Ballistix DDR4-3600/Evo970+ build was like $120. The same build was aboot US$480 when I shopped it out before my own build a year and a half ago.  :o

I sooo wish I had a Saskia within reasonable shipping distance here right now...  :palm:

mnem
*punt*
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:21:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #84453 on: March 04, 2021, 06:31:36 pm »
Here, have a teaser :)

this is just a jimmy-rigged thing. 2 2070s (one of which I just sold to my boss), 1 3060ti, 1 3080 (TUF GAMING) and a 3090. In the other room there's a 3080 FTW3 Ultra and a VU33P. I got the ok from my employer and for tax reasons (more than 262 Pesos annual profit) I have to open a sole proprietorship which makes all of this stuff tax deductable.

This is an absolutely fucked up business model. But the good thing is that the cards have ample warranty and will be reused for the deep learning projects coming up. So they will be doing some decent work later on in their life.

Will be getting an A6000 later on to do some additional fast paced NLP trainings, but that will not come out of my pocket.

I could have shipped you a PC to Canadia. However with the taxes, duties, etc it would not have been worth it.
And potential shipping damage would have been an issue ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84454 on: March 04, 2021, 06:35:54 pm »
I know... I know. Just so frustrating right now, even with the lockdown easing up, every thing you can do to keep from going stir-crazy is sooo fucking expensive. |O

I do envy you the 3080/3090... but I really want to get into Big Navi sometime soon; AMD's Catalyst OC management is light-years ahead of anything available for NVIDIA, and it just plain fucking works. AMD is supposedly dropping something actually competitive to the 30x0 this summer alongside the Ryzen 4000 Mobile CPUs.

mnem
it's... only... *cringe* money... :-\
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:49:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84455 on: March 04, 2021, 06:45:24 pm »
There is nothing idiotproof enough to prevent usage by idiots. They are better at being idiots than you will ever be so they will conceive idiotic ways of abusing stuff that you will never be able to imagine even in your wildest hallucinogenic dreams.

Oh I don't know.  There's a misunderstanding here that reasonably intelligent people can't also be idiots too. I'm living proof of that. In fact, I suspect that the higher the notional IQ the greater the capacity for idiotic behaviour - look at Spiro Agnew and [Sir] Clive Sinclair. All you have to do is listen to your "inner idiot" when you're doing the design. "Would I use the jaws of a car crusher to hold this meter while I was testing the crusher's battery? Yes, yes I would."

Yosemite Park Ranger on why the bear-proof trash cans are not completly bear proof bu hard to open.
"There is a big differential between the smartest bear and the dumbest camper"

And a raccoon is smarter than all of them put together.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84456 on: March 04, 2021, 06:45:38 pm »
Every time someone posts a pic of an AVO on here I just see an upside-down light fitting with the lamp removed...

When I was moving from the old house, I had to shop some replacement lampshades for a hideous chandelier because I broke one doing a bulb change. That search was... extensive.  :palm:

As you might imagine, I stumbled across a great many "Novelty" light fixtures in that search... these actually made me laugh.  :-DD

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen-mumblety-mumble*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84457 on: March 04, 2021, 06:47:01 pm »
There is nothing idiotproof enough to prevent usage by idiots. They are better at being idiots than you will ever be so they will conceive idiotic ways of abusing stuff that you will never be able to imagine even in your wildest hallucinogenic dreams.

Oh I don't know.  There's a misunderstanding here that reasonably intelligent people can't also be idiots too. I'm living proof of that. In fact, I suspect that the higher the notional IQ the greater the capacity for idiotic behaviour - look at Spiro Agnew and [Sir] Clive Sinclair. All you have to do is listen to your "inner idiot" when you're doing the design. "Would I use the jaws of a car crusher to hold this meter while I was testing the crusher's battery? Yes, yes I would."

Yosemite Park Ranger on why the bear-proof trash cans are not completly bear proof bu hard to open.
"There is a big differential between the smartest bear and the dumbest camper"

Well, at least they don't have to deal with the problems the Yellowstone rangers have:

I'm not so sure when he hangs out with someone named "Boo-boo"
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84458 on: March 04, 2021, 06:51:28 pm »
Boo-Boo is the smart one.

mnem
Aside from the toaster incident...  :o

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #84459 on: March 04, 2021, 07:00:18 pm »

When I was moving from the old house, I had to shop some replacement lampshades for a hideous chandelier because I broke one doing a bulb change. That search was... extensive.  :palm:

As you might imagine, I stumbled across a great many "Novelty" light fixtures in that search... these actually made me laugh.  :-DD

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen-mumblety-mumble*

Those are quite creative, and that's certainly the safest place for a skateboard.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #84460 on: March 04, 2021, 07:19:06 pm »

They must be faster than the speed of light with all the photons leaking out of the boxes  8)
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84461 on: March 04, 2021, 07:26:52 pm »
@mnem shipping 10 kg to Canada 52€ , 20 kg is 72€

Taxes, etc extra ...

I could send you a mini ITX machine (i7 9700, 32GB, SSD)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84462 on: March 04, 2021, 07:59:01 pm »

this is just a jimmy-rigged thing. 2 2070s (one of which I just sold to my boss), 1 3060ti, 1 3080 (TUF GAMING) and a 3090. In the other room there's a 3080 FTW3 Ultra and a VU33P. I got the ok from my employer and for tax reasons (more than 262 Pesos annual profit) I have to open a sole proprietorship which makes all of this stuff tax deductable.

This is an absolutely fucked up business model. But the good thing is that the cards have ample warranty and will be reused for the deep learning projects coming up. So they will be doing some decent work later on in their life.

Will be getting an A6000 later on to do some additional fast paced NLP trainings, but that will not come out of my pocket.

I could have shipped you a PC to Canadia. However with the taxes, duties, etc it would not have been worth it.
And potential shipping damage would have been an issue ...

Blimey that’s a shit load of flops in that cluster!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84463 on: March 04, 2021, 08:02:53 pm »
@mnem shipping 10 kg to Canada 52€ , 20 kg is 72€ Taxes, etc extra ...   I could send you a mini ITX machine (i7 9700, 32GB, SSD) ...

Thanks... but the convenience of Amazon's return policy along with two-day delivery made the decision to buy locally a no-brainer. And the difference between that and NewEgg was aboot $20 over the whole order. Even taking advantage of some sales on the US Newegg/Amazon sites, the duty charges made the final cost in my cart punitive. Local sales taxes were not as bad... but still painful. But if something gets sent back, at least I don't have to pay duty on the warranty replacement.

I sure am glad I built my machine when I did. |O

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:05:42 pm by mnementh »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84464 on: March 04, 2021, 08:52:26 pm »

They must be faster than the speed of light with all the photons leaking out of the boxes  8)

Right colour for Cherenkov radiation!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84465 on: March 04, 2021, 10:15:04 pm »
I love the smell of plutonium in the morning ...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84466 on: March 04, 2021, 10:24:41 pm »

* sigh *

Makes me want to step out and build the rig I'd like to put together.  Primary role for it is CAD, secondary is video editing/mucking about.  The support bits I can handle, I just need mainboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card ... which requires funds I don't really have.  (I daresay, a not uncommon situation.)

Still off work (which doesn't help), but leg is sloooooooowly getting better.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84467 on: March 04, 2021, 10:25:56 pm »
I love the smell of plutonium in the morning ...

I've never been that close to plutonium to find out what it smells like.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84468 on: March 04, 2021, 10:32:25 pm »
Lucky you!  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84469 on: March 04, 2021, 10:41:02 pm »
@Brumby sorry 'bout that ... I came into possession of this stuff more or less by accident ...

and I know that at current market prices that's quite a sum sitting there ...
My boss was not so lucky, he did get none of those cards whatsoever so I am helping him out ...
as for the rest, it was a more or less stoopeed coincidence with an Asus 2070 going up in smoke that lead to my buying the 3060ti.
Curiosity led me to the FPGA, and its mining turnaround then got me to buy the rest of the cards
Albeit at an elevated price.
However I will use them for the deep learning stuff that is about to come up in my job, and my new boss is trying to bump me to architect.
Which would help me out. In the mean time I need to cover for hubby, and the additional 1k$/month is enough to subsidize him and keep him afloat.
May sound strange, but I don't want to go back to having to eat Nisshin Ramen noodles for sustenance. It just does not cut it ...

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84470 on: March 04, 2021, 10:44:27 pm »
Bugger.

It lasted a few minutes upright* then we had an uncontrolled combustion event.

*Well, at a bit of an angle.  Apparently the landing legs did not deploy - so it sat on its arse for that time.

Can you say "Boom!" boys and girls? :o

I have to be honest here... whenever I see one of these flying septic tanks, I think back to the o-o-o-old Flash Gordon flicks, and the ships that were obviously made of toilet paper rolls covered with aluminum foil. If there ever was any real-world evidence for the "Moon Landing Hoaxers", it would have to be all this.  :palm:

mnem
*currently building a gaming PC with my son*

Well, the movies were made by "Septic Tanks!" ;D ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84471 on: March 04, 2021, 10:47:08 pm »
@Saskia   That's OK.  I was just musing about a build I've been looking at on and off for a while now.  Get some ideas in mind and then price changes, new releases and financial realities bring me back to earth.

I'll get there.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84472 on: March 05, 2021, 01:03:06 am »

* sigh *

Makes me want to step out and build the rig I'd like to put together.  Primary role for it is CAD, secondary is video editing/mucking about.  The support bits I can handle, I just need mainboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card ... which requires funds I don't really have.  (I daresay, a not uncommon situation.)

Still off work (which doesn't help), but leg is sloooooooowly getting better.
Good to hear your leg is getting better, soon be up about again like it never happened  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #84473 on: March 05, 2021, 05:34:35 am »
Together with the 8060A I got an AVO Multiminor and a Hung Chang toy. The Hung Chang is never coming close to being used; it's down right dangerous.  The Multiminor looks superficially OK, but is as of yet untested; my plan is to assess it this weekend. In the repair queue I've also got a Model 7 Avometer that looks OK from the outside but is somehow broken; no reaction on any range is detected.

None of these will be turned into a lamp.

:phew:

As far as the telephone; I've got an Asterisk PABX at home where one of my Grandstream ATAs has support for pulse dialling, including the Swedish system where -- properly -- 0 is less than 1.

0 < 1. Cool and makes sense. But how many pulses does 0 generate? Less than 1? ^-^
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84474 on: March 05, 2021, 05:55:53 am »
NI/Labview webinar that might be of interest to some. Mid Next week https://events.ni.com/profile/form/index.cfm?PKformID=0x506902abcd

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf