Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919675 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83900 on: February 26, 2021, 08:55:32 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83901 on: February 26, 2021, 09:01:42 am »
what are "floozies"?  :-//
Skirt.

bd139 has weared skirts back in the days? What woderful memories ...     :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83902 on: February 26, 2021, 09:06:33 am »
Skirt.

::)
Chasing not wearing skirt until he got caught up with the redhead then wore something else !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83903 on: February 26, 2021, 09:07:02 am »

Alte Umgangsprache für billige Schlampen.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83904 on: February 26, 2021, 09:13:10 am »
Skirt.

Chasing not wearing skirt until he got caught up with the redhead then wore something else !  :-DD
Battle scars ?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83905 on: February 26, 2021, 09:19:36 am »

How come the Poms make great looking steam locos, but their diesels are all ugly as sin?

Interesting. I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Doesn't everyone think that? Those old diesels are some of the ugliest vehicles ever built.

That’s part of the charm. One day someone said “steam is going” and a great engineering effort took place to design and build diesel replacements. Most were experimental designs of all sorts of shapes and sizes which were designed and built by different manufacturers and pitched against each other. Only the fittest survived. The failures were eviscerated swiftly. They eventually evolved into the things we have today. What remains is entirely pragmatic engineering based decisions rather than anything particularly aesthetic. And quite a chunk of them are still running up to 50-60 years later!

Edit: the 37608 above is actually 60 years old.

The first generation diesels here were EMD (GM) F and E units. They first entered service around 1940. IMHO a lot more visually appealing but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  :-DD

They were slowly phased out over the years although some did stay in mainline service until the late 1990's - early 2000's. Surviving running units are on tourist railroads.

Now those are ugly!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83906 on: February 26, 2021, 09:20:16 am »
Skirt.

Battle scars ?
At the very least.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83907 on: February 26, 2021, 09:30:43 am »

How come the Poms make great looking steam locos, but their diesels are all ugly as sin?

Interesting. I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Doesn't everyone think that? Those old diesels are some of the ugliest vehicles ever built.

That’s part of the charm. One day someone said “steam is going” and a great engineering effort took place to design and build diesel replacements. Most were experimental designs of all sorts of shapes and sizes which were designed and built by different manufacturers and pitched against each other. Only the fittest survived. The failures were eviscerated swiftly. They eventually evolved into the things we have today. What remains is entirely pragmatic engineering based decisions rather than anything particularly aesthetic. And quite a chunk of them are still running up to 50-60 years later!

Edit: the 37608 above is actually 60 years old.

As a kid I remember hearing of one such battle, between diesel electric and diesel hydraulic transmissions. Now you find descendents of the winner on the roads :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83908 on: February 26, 2021, 11:30:12 am »
Just for bd, to show that his "problem shared is a problem halved unresolved"

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/26/seagate_uk_customer_charged_vat/
One of the consequences of Brexit came back to bite a Seagate customer in the UK who was forced to pay import VAT and brokerage fees on a replacement drive still under warranty that was this month shipped from the Netherlands... Parkinson later logged into the UPS system only to discover there was a charge of £45.12 including £33.62 in "government charges" and £11.50 "Brokerage charges" on the new drive... "Seagate support were very kind & sympathetic about how stupid it is to ask a yes/no question referendum about something so complex — but ultimately unhelpful…"... And Seagate had "NOT" suggested any alternative workaround to the situation.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83909 on: February 26, 2021, 11:34:16 am »
The past wasn't always golden, part 94...

Remember using these awful things? Bring back the memory for a mere £200!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hewlett-Packard-HP-197A-Oscilloscope-Camera-1965-Rare/393157675284

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83910 on: February 26, 2021, 11:59:32 am »

One of the consequences of Brexit came back to bite a Seagate customer in the UK who was forced to pay import VAT and brokerage fees on a replacement drive still under warranty that was this month shipped from the Netherlands... Parkinson later logged into the UPS system only to discover there was a charge of £45.12 including £33.62 in "government charges" and £11.50 "Brokerage charges" on the new drive... "Seagate support were very kind & sympathetic about how stupid it is to ask a yes/no question referendum about something so complex — but ultimately unhelpful…"... And Seagate had "NOT" suggested any alternative workaround to the situation.

I suppose if you want your moldy tea back you're going to have to pay VAT even though it has the Royal Seal on it?  :P :-DD

You guys are doomed.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83911 on: February 26, 2021, 12:03:31 pm »

On the same topic, I just got a refund from PayPal of £1.97 and the only information is that it is from 0075ukvatrefundsgbp@ebay.com which is a refund of VAT they collected on something I ordered so it would seem that eBay are going to refund any VAT charged that should not have been applied?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83912 on: February 26, 2021, 12:43:16 pm »

Seen this already. HPE spares aren’t shipped from the UK direct to customers and get stuck in customs for days. This is again one reason I deal with Apple for hardware and Amazon for infrastructure - everything warranty related is via UK and on the end of a phone or an actual tangible retail outlet or office.

A positive note with UPS. They acknowledge the item has been lost as it’s stuck in Frankfurt and have approved the claim. This now has to go through Packlink in Spain who also have to agree that it’s a valid claim even if UPS do.

I am so fucking tempted to build a monopolising and unavoidable fronted claims  service where the carrier cash gets shelved for 30 days and any claims paid out of that.  The demand for this service would be unstoppably large with respect to where the reputation was pushed to.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83913 on: February 26, 2021, 12:47:41 pm »

On the same topic, I just got a refund from PayPal of £1.97 and the only information is that it is from 0075ukvatrefundsgbp@ebay.com which is a refund of VAT they collected on something I ordered so it would seem that eBay are going to refund any VAT charged that should not have been applied?

That’s because it’s VAT fraud if they charge the wrong rate which will get them in deep doo doo.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83914 on: February 26, 2021, 02:56:52 pm »

I want a diesel electric car. As long as it sounds like a Deltic

If you can opt for Class 37 instead, I'm in!

37’s are something special. One of my earliest memories is having the shit scared out of me by one thrashing it’s arse off at Highbury & Islington. Still on my bucket list to drive one  :-+

We were lucky enough to travel behind two of them when we took a heritage rail tour from York to Carlisle in 2018. The first leg from York was 2x Class 37 diesels, and then it was steam from Hellifield up to Carlisle. The thrashing through Leeds was memorable; lots of walls that reflected the sound back towards the carriages.

My early trainspotting years were mostly electric; all major lines in Sweden have catenary and diesels are very rare. I have, however, driven most of the engines commonly used in the 80s. a T21 German diesel-hydraulic (MaK diesel, Voith transmission) and a couple US-inspired diesel electrics, basically a GE diesel with ASEA electrics, the T43 and T44. Also a Henschel diesel-hydraulic shunter. That one was super easy, just a small joystick and very good control.

Nice! It’s a memorable noise. I did west highland line up to Fort William with my mother in the late 80s. That was fun because it was freezing cold and the 37 hauling it was spewing black smoke. I think several people hanging out of the front coach windows got frostbite and lung cancer from that trip  :-DD. I was too busy with the floozies after that  ::)

Very cool with driving the things  :-+. Hopefully I’ll get to do similar next year.

In late 1971, I travelled up to edinburgh by bus, & before heading off deeper into darkest Scotland, took the train to somewhere,(Dundee, maybe), as a day trip.

At one point, we travelled up a very steep incline with a very steep, deep valley on the left side.
Gazing idly out the window, I was surprised to see a bloody great diesel loco lying on its side at the bottom of the valley---- I think it was a Deltec, but can't be sure.

I often wonder whether they ever salvaged it, bulldozed dirt over it, or maybe just left it till "The robins came & covered it with leaves," like unto the "Babes in the Woods". ;D

Completely off topic, but Scotland on that trip served up some surprises, from "Ewers Lager" in Edinburgh, served in big frosty jugs Oz style, to a boozy night at the "John O'Groats pub with the blokes from the lighthouse.

I came in "off the track" feeling a tad thirsty, & a bunch of guys who "didn't know me from a bar of soap" asked "What're you drinking?"
I decided it would be what they were having, which turned out to be whisky with a beer chaser.

When we were finally turfed out, it eventuated that one bloke's wife ran a "Bed & Breakfast", & somehow, I got there unscathed, & immediately crashed in my bed.

I woke up once, at about 2am, & the boys were still "kicking on", having got to the singing stage.
When I woke again, this time, at a civilised hour, I felt a bit seedy, but not really hungover, so said my goodbyes & headed off.

Somewhere near the nuclear plant/establishment, or whatever it is, I heard a very un-UK siren, & this big, long, US style bright red "hook n' ladder" swept past me, going who knows where.

Another place along the road, an F111 suddenly appeared out of the mists over a hill, crossed the road seemingly low  enough to touch, & disappeared behind another hill.

Strange place!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83915 on: February 26, 2021, 03:15:35 pm »

Another place along the road, an F111 suddenly appeared out of the mists over a hill, crossed the road seemingly low  enough to touch, & disappeared behind another hill.

Strange place!

Yep, before they were retired the F-111's used to practice low level interdiction in the Scottish countryside along with RAF Tornado's.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83916 on: February 26, 2021, 03:50:13 pm »
Nice! It’s a memorable noise. I did west highland line up to Fort William with my mother in the late 80s. That was fun because it was freezing cold and the 37 hauling it was spewing black smoke. I think several people hanging out of the front coach windows got frostbite and lung cancer from that trip  :-DD. I was too busy with the floozies after that  ::)

Very cool with driving the things  :-+. Hopefully I’ll get to do similar next year.

I did the reverse trip, Fort William to Glasgow around 10 years later with the diesel disturbing the quiet of Rannoch Moor. I walked from Glasgow to Fort William. Blonde floozie in tow in both directions; well, more tottie than floozie, having been privately educated. You can date it exactly because instead of the weather forecast we hoped to catch on the pub telly where we stopped for lunch in Drymen on the second day of walking, we got wall-to-wall reporting on Lady Di's death.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83917 on: February 26, 2021, 03:51:30 pm »

Working class Tottie.  :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83918 on: February 26, 2021, 03:53:41 pm »
Skirt.

Well, he was talking about the West Highlands, men in skirts is considered quite normal there. Just don't call them "skirts" unless you're fond of hospital food.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83919 on: February 26, 2021, 03:58:18 pm »

What fresh Hell is this?!?

mnem
I need at least twice as much coffee as that before I can deal with this...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 04:06:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #83920 on: February 26, 2021, 04:01:32 pm »

That's the kind of comment that would lose you your front teeth around here.

I believe a more narrow definition would be "women of slightly questionable morals", but even that would be a risky proposition if you looked at the wrong person while saying it.

EDITED to include the wiktionary entry: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/floozie
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83921 on: February 26, 2021, 04:02:57 pm »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #83922 on: February 26, 2021, 04:13:27 pm »

What fresh Hell is this?!?

mnem
I need at least twice as much coffee as that before I can deal with this...

Oh thats not looking good...

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83923 on: February 26, 2021, 04:17:40 pm »
Is this yours mnem?

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83924 on: February 26, 2021, 04:19:42 pm »

In Sweden, "Tottie" is a fairly well established "immigrant clan" (if you're a consequent Farage style fascist, otherwise they're an old Swedish family), having fled Scotland some time around the Interregnum. Not very easy to search for that here, then  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf