Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919637 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83850 on: February 25, 2021, 07:51:48 pm »

mnem
why do I have this urge to shop for a Bowcaster now...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #83851 on: February 25, 2021, 07:57:51 pm »
Uncle It, is that you ?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83852 on: February 25, 2021, 07:59:46 pm »

mnem
*toddles off to order Chinese food*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83853 on: February 25, 2021, 08:04:17 pm »
Am I the only one here who's always had a ~50-foot 10-or-12ga extension cord with dryer plug & socket since he was like... 14 years old? :o

mnem
Everything that's fun needs 240V. >:D

Surely you mean "needs three phases of 400VAC 50Hz" (We used to have 380V, and the UK had 415. Norway still has 220V, and most loads Delta connected. Like offshore and marine stuff. Then EU came and the compromise was 400V. Regardless, anything sold here needs to survive 10% overvoltage, so nominal 220V gear will be good to at least 242V, only the "heat globes" don't survive so long...)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83854 on: February 25, 2021, 08:11:41 pm »
Sorry... I've had to learn to travel light in my old age. Nothing that can't be hauled in a 30-foot trailer.  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: CJay

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83855 on: February 25, 2021, 08:29:07 pm »
The neutral conductor broke off in the room's breaker panel.  The monitors automatically switched over to 240v and were fine but the desktops had power supplies that had a manual line voltage select switch so they obviously stayed on 120v and all of them smoked.

You can do that to very expensive power supplies of networking gear too, but, to paraphrase my comment to mnem above, the fun starts when you approach 400V. Losing the neutral in a 5-conductor 3-phase cable (to a temp breaker panel because you're commissioning a new generation of routers in a very cramped and hot room)  will get you 400 nice volts at places it clearly isn't expected, and "SMPS autoswitching" won't save you, because it only goes to some 300V. We had to trickle the supplies to the vendor one at a time, so they wouldn't suspect anything..

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83856 on: February 25, 2021, 08:57:42 pm »
I presume you're talking about a GSR or similar class of router. Given the terrifying price tag on that kind of gear it's pretty shabby that they don't provide adequate overvoltage protection on the power supplies. For those not in the know you'll spend several thousand just for a spare one of the PSUs that go into that sort of kit. The prices are sufficiently high that the design engineers don't have to fuss over the extra money that even the most sophisticated, bulletproof OVP scheme would add to the BOM.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83857 on: February 25, 2021, 08:58:18 pm »
LOL... we weren't being negative. We were trying to stop you from kicking yourself in the morning for not getting rid of that doorstop when you had the chance.

It's someone else's problem now. Be glad.

mnem
"If you took all the girls I knew when I was single;
And brought 'em all together for one night...
I know they'd never match my sweet imagination;
Everything looks worse in black and white..."          ~ Paul Simon - KodaChrome

The seller seems to be a reasonable guy, turns out he knew that it used to be a company phone and he knew about the MDM business as he said that he thought doing a hard factory reset removed it. He also has one himself, he'd better hope that they don't turn out to be stolen phones then, because that file I think also allows the phone to be remotely disabled to becoming a brick a bit earlier in its life if the original owner wants to nuke it.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #83858 on: February 25, 2021, 09:00:52 pm »
This was in my home town in Italy. I took the picture with my phone

I will miss Italy so much.....

Haven't you ever seen a PHEV before?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83859 on: February 25, 2021, 09:19:42 pm »
At least they used a socket with a water-proof cover. I think it's a hoax as the car is a diesel :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83860 on: February 25, 2021, 09:21:02 pm »
LOL... we weren't being negative. We were trying to stop you from kicking yourself in the morning for not getting rid of that doorstop when you had the chance.

It's someone else's problem now. Be glad.

mnem
"If you took all the girls I knew when I was single;
And brought 'em all together for one night...
I know they'd never match my sweet imagination;
Everything looks worse in black and white..."          ~ Paul Simon - KodaChrome

The seller seems to be a reasonable guy, turns out he knew that it used to be a company phone and he knew about the MDM business as he said that he thought doing a hard factory reset removed it. He also has one himself, he'd better hope that they don't turn out to be stolen phones then, because that file I think also allows the phone to be remotely disabled to becoming a brick a bit earlier in its life if the original owner wants to nuke it.  :-DD

Given the age, not likely. They've probably been sitting in a broom closet for a year or two already... put there as soon as it was common knowledge that MS was abandoning the platform and they became "CrackBerry Uncool".

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:33:18 pm by mnementh »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83861 on: February 25, 2021, 09:22:27 pm »
So I was striping a few useful / rare componets (20R presets!) off this 80's vintage PCB and noticed it appears to have a virus  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, technogreek

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83862 on: February 25, 2021, 09:28:10 pm »
At least they used a socket with a water-proof cover. I think it's a hoax as the car is a diesel :-DD

Mmmmhmmmm... given its age and original market niche, I'd guess it's just aboot right to be a "cost next to nothing beater" someone did a DIY conversion on. :-//

Or, as you say, a hoax... Maybe  to poke fun at everybody in their e-hicles who're so full of themselves they think their farts don't stink....? A diesel mini-micro would be the perfect vehicle for that joke.

mnem
*ducks soggy ol' boots from multiple quadrants*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:37:43 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83863 on: February 25, 2021, 09:54:46 pm »
Made some toroids this evening so I can play with L-match circuits and Smith charts on the NanoVNA. Of course these were measured on the NanoVNA as well. Need to make a component test fixture I can null out easily as these were soldered to an edge launch SMA which was nulled out first. Not ideal but it works to within enough % for this job.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, wolfy007

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83864 on: February 25, 2021, 09:56:25 pm »
You can get diesel hybrids, Land Rover sell one in China and also Volvo C60 have one that they sell here in the UK.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83865 on: February 25, 2021, 10:03:00 pm »
Made some toroids this evening so I can play with L-match circuits and Smith charts on the NanoVNA. Of course these were measured on the NanoVNA as well. Need to make a component test fixture I can null out easily as these were soldered to an edge launch SMA which was nulled out first. Not ideal but it works to within enough % for this job.

But you haven't snagged the toroids from the torches, have you?  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83866 on: February 25, 2021, 10:04:05 pm »
No definitely not - those are in active service and will be as long as I can keep them that way!  :-+

These are fresh T50-6's off ebay

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83867 on: February 25, 2021, 10:06:23 pm »
You can get diesel hybrids, Land Rover sell one in China and also Volvo C60 have one that they sell here in the UK.

Yes, I know that. The pictured car is a common rail diesel not  diesel/electric hybrid. The "HYBRID" badge is made up from aftermarket stick on letters.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83868 on: February 25, 2021, 10:45:56 pm »

Yes, I know that. The pictured car is a common rail diesel not  diesel/electric hybrid. The "HYBRID" badge is made up from aftermarket stick on letters.
Yep, I know that, but I was just saying that such combinations do exit, ignoring the common rail tech, but diesel hybrids are around, not many partly because of the extra weight they add to the car. Jaguar might be using the system as well as Land Rover next year as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:23:07 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83869 on: February 25, 2021, 10:59:35 pm »

Yep, I know that, but I was just saying that such combinations do exit, ignoring the common rail tech, but diesel hybrids are around, not many partly because of the extra weight they add to the car. Jaguar might be using the system as Land Rover next year as well.

I want a diesel electric car. As long as it sounds like a Deltic

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, mansaxel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83870 on: February 25, 2021, 11:29:33 pm »
3456A PSU re-cap is complete. It was a real hassle getting that 5 pin 4000uf C5 out but it finally yielded. The adapter went together and installed with no issues. Why it was decided to use four 1200uf in parallel rather than perhaps two 2200uf in parallel or one 4700uf I can't say. I do recommend mounting the adapter spaced above the board as shown to avoid shorts. 

Back in action. No adjustments required. In truth none are provided for the PSU.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, wolfy007, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83871 on: February 25, 2021, 11:30:48 pm »
@bd139 FTFY, fill your boots. Just look at all that pollution though, urgh.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83872 on: February 26, 2021, 12:09:48 am »
So I was striping a few useful / rare componets (20R presets!) off this 80's vintage PCB and noticed it appears to have a virus  :-DD

I've seen that before and don't know what causes it.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #83873 on: February 26, 2021, 12:11:03 am »
@bd139 FTFY, fill your boots. Just look at all that pollution though, urgh.

Alelly's Heavy Hauling - now THERE'S an understatement!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83874 on: February 26, 2021, 12:15:10 am »
Am I the only one here who's always had a ~50-foot 10-or-12ga extension cord with dryer plug & socket since he was like... 14 years old? :o

mnem
Everything that's fun needs 240V. >:D

Surely you mean "needs three phases of 400VAC 50Hz" (We used to have 380V, and the UK had 415. Norway still has 220V, and most loads Delta connected. Like offshore and marine stuff. Then EU came and the compromise was 400V. Regardless, anything sold here needs to survive 10% overvoltage, so nominal 220V gear will be good to at least 242V, only the "heat globes" don't survive so long...)

Bah! Wimpy!
Back in the day, Western Australia had 440v between phases, 250v phase to neutral.

The "urban myth" held that this strange voltage was because, even earlier, the supply was 240 v, 40Hz.

When the frequency was changed to  50Hz in the mid 1950s, all the distribution transformers became less lossy, this increase in efficiency accounting for the 250v/440v figure.

I don't believe a word of that, but it is a good story. (the BS meter always pins when I hear this tale, so I have never checked it out) :bullshit:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf