Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17736976 times)

Jouko and 99 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83825 on: February 25, 2021, 03:54:50 pm »
@mnem, I was only pointing out the negativity towards Windows, full stop because if you look at Microsoft history on Windows, they have only had 13 versions for domestic use since its introduction in 1985, so it easily surpasses longevity of the other 2 OS's. Yes there has been many updates to each version in that time, just as IOS has had over a shorter period.

I think I'm still better served personally with Android, at least the equipment is considerably less expensive as a mobile platform then IOS is, and for me Windows is still the platform of choice for desktop use.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83826 on: February 25, 2021, 04:01:43 pm »
With all that has been said about Microsoft support, the 950 is being returned, but not because of all the negativity seen here. If I get another without the MDM files is still not decided, but at the end of the day, if support is being withdrawn, is it any different to any other phone out there, sooner or later the OS on all of them is slowly being whittled away leaving behind thousands of bricks, some phone sized, some tablet sized.

Since Android was released in 2008 there have been 11 new versions, and I have 2 Android phones currently in use a Samsung on version 7 with no more updates and a Huawei running on version 10. Apple on the other hand released IOS 1 in 2007 and are now on version 14 with numerous revised versions of each one to correct bugs etc making the total number of releases and updates to no fewer than 55. Formulate your own opinions folks as to which one is better.     

Windows has had about 150,000 releases.

Version numbers don't mean a lot.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83827 on: February 25, 2021, 04:03:47 pm »
And then I've not even gotten started on the subject of how many phases your residential feeder carries.. (3 is a good number, BTW)

Thanks for poking your finger in my wound, it also irritates me. My stop gap solution is a VFD.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83828 on: February 25, 2021, 04:11:03 pm »
In other news. Here's the PSU out of the 3456A. And that large 5 pin C5 which is the object of the adapter board. I'll show how all that comes together.

And almost had a giant FUBAR. Capacitor C6, which is on a logic board, was ordered as a 2000uf/16V. It's actually 12000uf/16V.  :palm: That will have to be swapped out at a later date on next parts order.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83829 on: February 25, 2021, 04:20:09 pm »
Seriously I never ever electrocuted myself with the main plugs. I think this safety thing about North American system is overrated. Personally I feel way safer having main at 120V.

A real TEA man knows what 220VAC feels, trust me it is not that bad.  :P

120VAC safer? yeah but let be honest, in my book everything >30VAC is a no go, more detalils here.

BTW:

It is sometimes suggested that human lethality is most common with alternating current at 100–250 volts; however, death has occurred below this range, with supplies as low as 42 volts.[25] Assuming a steady current flow (as opposed to a shock from a capacitor or from static electricity), shocks above 2,700 volts are often fatal, with those above 11,000 volts being usually fatal, though exceptional cases have been noted. According to a Guinness Book of World Records comic, seventeen-year-old Brian Latasa survived a 230,000 volt shock on the tower of an ultra-high voltage line in Griffith Park, Los Angeles on November 9, 1967.[26] A news report of the event stated that he was "jolted through the air, and landed across the line", and though rescued by firemen, he suffered burns over 40% of his body and was completely paralyzed except for his eyelids.[27] The shock with the highest voltage reported survived was that of Harry F. McGrew, who came in contact with a 340,000 volt transmission line in Huntington Canyon, Utah.[28]

hollyyyy mollyyyyy

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83830 on: February 25, 2021, 04:21:08 pm »
@mnem, I was only pointing out the negativity towards Windows, full stop because if you look at Microsoft history on Windows, they have only had 13 versions for domestic use since its introduction in 1985, so it easily surpasses longevity of the other 2 OS's. Yes there has been many updates to each version in that time, just as IOS has had over a shorter period.

I think I'm still better served personally with Android, at least the equipment is considerably less expensive as a mobile platform then IOS is, and for me Windows is still the platform of choice for desktop use.  :-+
We're not talking aboot Windows here... we're talking aboot Windoze PHONE. Whatever else you call it, that's what it really is. It is not device-agnostic like real Windoze.

I don't know aboot the others involved, but for me it's not negativity... more resignation to my fate. Windoze is the worst possible solution for its application; save everything else we have.  ;)

I feel the same way aboot Apple products as well; they are really a different application: In every market they are in, they are the device for those who can trade money and willingness to fit their needs into someone else's prepackaged product for general lack of assache and a "We'll take care of everything for you!" mission statement.

It really is only people who expect the Swiss Army Knife nature of Windows to come out of an Apple product... or expect to get the generally "We already put that in there!" nature of Apple products from Windoze... who are the cause of all that negativity.

They are all just being angry at one or the other for not being both at once, when they are essentially polar opposite philosophies; that is just being a assh'o.

mnem
 :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 04:37:58 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #83831 on: February 25, 2021, 04:21:42 pm »
Not sure where in the US you are moving, but if it's minimally civilized in an reasonably urban area power should be stable enough. Over here I never add any incident and I simply use the typical power bar you can buy everywhere.

By the way, you can find 220v in most installation in North-America. It's normally used for the oven, heating etc.. so you could potentially have a dedicated circuit for your European instruments.

SC.
One day I came back home, lights were acting funny, spider senses activated, let me measure: 230VAC between hot and cold wire. I quickly turned off the main switch. The internet modem PSU was melted, thank God it was the only damage. Since that day I never trusted again the USA main grid.

To be pedantic, it'll be 240 that you find in the panel (120 + 120); 220 seems to have stuck around in the lexicon for some reason from many years ago when US mains power was 110/220.  Beyond that, Zucca's 230 line-to neutral measurement sounds like a floating neutral, meaning a bad connection at the panel or service entrance causing uneven loads to pull the neutral far of balance - that's normally an on premises issue, and nothing to do with the main grid.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83832 on: February 25, 2021, 04:23:59 pm »
Nice analysis, but no a main trafo decided that is was enough on that day (yes my bet is and was the neutral line  ;)). Several homes were involved.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 04:34:57 pm by Zucca »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83833 on: February 25, 2021, 04:25:27 pm »
Nice analysis, but no a main trafo decided that is was enough on that day. Several homes where involved.

That can happen with an open neutral at the pole transformer.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83834 on: February 25, 2021, 04:26:37 pm »
Seriously I never ever electrocuted myself with the main plugs. I think this safety thing about North American system is overrated. Personally I feel way safer having main at 120V.

A real TEA man knows what 220VAC feels, trust me it is not that bad.  :P

Don't worry I know what 220VAC feels like. I have some apartments I rent so some times I have to play the landlord and change a baseboard heater or water heater. I get zapped from time to time.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83835 on: February 25, 2021, 04:33:58 pm »
Not sure where in the US you are moving, but if it's minimally civilized in an reasonably urban area power should be stable enough. Over here I never add any incident and I simply use the typical power bar you can buy everywhere.

By the way, you can find 220v in most installation in North-America. It's normally used for the oven, heating etc.. so you could potentially have a dedicated circuit for your European instruments.

SC.
One day I came back home, lights were acting funny, spider senses activated, let me measure: 230VAC between hot and cold wire. I quickly turned off the main switch. The internet modem PSU was melted, thank God it was the only damage. Since that day I never trusted again the USA main grid.

Yes I know about the 220VAC 60Hz in the US grid that's why I want to add a small europe main sub-distr. line in my US home (60Hz does not matter).

I am sorry but the US mains, plugs and general safety are a paleolithic no sense teenager game compared to european standards.
Oh thank God not all the US homes are made with flammable wood... oh ops ermmm....

And I don't want to mention the rodant problem since all the main cable are just slapped in the walls...

I can't stop thinking this situation like someone smoking in a barn with gasoline tank open in the other hand, and yes I worried and scared about a thermal event in my USA home. It would be a spectacular failure.

It could be my first youtube video in my channel, comparing mains north america with european standards.

Apparently the number of fire caused by electrical appliances is pretty low in the US  :P

source: https://www.modernbuildingalliance.eu/assets/uploads/2018/05/09-06-24_rapport_consumer_fire_safety_pdf1.pdf

Interestingly that list does not include electrical INSTALLATION fires. These are becoming significant as smoking and open fire use decreases.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83836 on: February 25, 2021, 04:36:35 pm »
Don't worry I know what 220VAC feels like.

Now we can be friends again.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:58:08 pm by Zucca »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83837 on: February 25, 2021, 04:42:10 pm »
Am I the only one here who's always had a ~50-foot 10-or-12ga extension cord with dryer plug & socket since he was like... 14 years old? :o

mnem
Everything that's fun needs 240V. >:D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 04:44:44 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #83838 on: February 25, 2021, 04:42:29 pm »
Nice analysis, but no a main trafo decided that is was enough on that day. Several homes where involved.

That can happen with an open neutral at the pole transformer.

Sounds like it.  Lights were flickering weirdly at my ex's years ago and I saw the same thing (though not as extreme as 230V L-N); in her case it turned out to be the connection between the service lateral from the pole and the weatherhead feeding her meter box.  A new coupling fixed it quickly and relatively easily.  If it's right at the connection to the pole pig secondary it'll get any homes on that line.

-Pat

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83839 on: February 25, 2021, 05:16:25 pm »
Am I the only one here who's always had a ~50-foot 10-or-12ga extension cord with dryer plug & socket since he was like... 14 years old? :o

mnem
If something is more fun than my mains can support, I have to break out the fishing rod. It is a very light one with 2.5mm² double insulated test lead wire running through the guide rings to a flat, spoon-like contact piece at the tip. Other end is shrouded 4mm.
It provides instant access to the 750V DC streetcar catenary.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83840 on: February 25, 2021, 05:19:13 pm »
To be pedantic, it'll be 240 that you find in the panel (120 + 120); 220 seems to have stuck around in the lexicon for some reason from many years ago when US mains power was 110/220.  Beyond that, Zucca's 230 line-to neutral measurement sounds like a floating neutral, meaning a bad connection at the panel or service entrance causing uneven loads to pull the neutral far of balance - that's normally an on premises issue, and nothing to do with the main grid.

-Pat

That happened in one of the computer labs in college back in the day.  The neutral conductor broke off in the room's breaker panel.  The monitors automatically switched over to 240v and were fine but the desktops had power supplies that had a manual line voltage select switch so they obviously stayed on 120v and all of them smoked.

It took weeks to get the smell out.  After testing with swapping a PSU from a computer in a different room and finding out the machines were fine and it was just the power supplies that burned, the college got something like half a dozen power supplies from Dell's Canadian office which cleaned them out and got a handful of machines back up and running.  The rest of the lab was out of action while the rest of the 25 or so power supplies they needed were on back order for several weeks.  Dell clearly wasn't expecting and didn't have inventory on hand for a 30 power supply order.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #83841 on: February 25, 2021, 05:25:40 pm »

-Pat

That happened in one of the computer labs in college back in the day.  The neutral conductor broke off in the room's breaker panel.  The monitors automatically switched over to 240v and were fine but the desktops had power supplies that had a manual line voltage select switch so they obviously stayed on 120v and all of them smoked.

It took weeks to get the smell out.  After testing with swapping a PSU from a computer in a different room and finding out the machines were fine and it was just the power supplies that burned, the college got something like half a dozen power supplies from Dell's Canadian office which cleaned them out and got a handful of machines back up and running.  The rest of the lab was out of action while the rest of the 25 or so power supplies they needed were on back order for several weeks.  Dell clearly wasn't expecting and didn't have inventory on hand for a 30 power supply order.

Ahh, Eau de Allen-Bradley.  Such an enchanting and persistent scent.  That must have been a fun day...

Better the power supplies than the motherboards, at least.

-Pat

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83842 on: February 25, 2021, 05:44:55 pm »
With all that has been said about Microsoft support, the 950 is being returned, but not because of all the negativity seen here. If I get another without the MDM files is still not decided, but at the end of the day, if support is being withdrawn, is it any different to any other phone out there, sooner or later the OS on all of them is slowly being whittled away leaving behind thousands of bricks, some phone sized, some tablet sized.

Since Android was released in 2008 there have been 11 new versions, and I have 2 Android phones currently in use a Samsung on version 7 with no more updates and a Huawei running on version 10. Apple on the other hand released IOS 1 in 2007 and are now on version 14 with numerous revised versions of each one to correct bugs etc making the total number of releases and updates to no fewer than 55. Formulate your own opinions folks as to which one is better.     

Windows has had about 150,000 releases.

Version numbers don't mean a lot.
Yep, I accept that in principle, but equally the same is true for all OS's as they find a bug, they release small patches to stick a finger in the dyke until they release a major updated version. I know from personal experience that Microsoft, Android (phone producers who customise the OS) and IOS all have often little updates to patch their weak points that others can exploit etc.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83843 on: February 25, 2021, 05:59:28 pm »
Hmm just noticed the "Cooking" related fire in Australia, strangely high  :-DD

That'll be down to the three Bs: Blokes, Beer and Barbies.  :)

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83844 on: February 25, 2021, 06:09:47 pm »

mnem
If something is more fun than my mains can support, I have to break out the fishing rod. It is a very light one with 2.5mm² double insulated test lead wire running through the guide rings to a flat, spoon-like contact piece at the tip. Other end is shrouded 4mm.
It provides instant access to the 750V DC streetcar catenary.  >:D

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/fa8f55a9-3d1e-4bd3-a4b6-69043a640e39#u0B1PLAAnS.copy

mnem
*toddles off in search of clean underwear*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:12:10 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83845 on: February 25, 2021, 06:11:49 pm »
Interestingly that list does not include electrical INSTALLATION fires. These are becoming significant as smoking and open fire use decreases.

I don't propose to go hunting for the them, but a few months back I came across some figures that suggested that electrical installation faults were a significantly more common cause of death, both from fire and from electrocution in the US than in the UK.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #83846 on: February 25, 2021, 06:22:18 pm »
Limp wristed sparkies.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #83847 on: February 25, 2021, 07:07:01 pm »
For sale: quad carburetor for Tesla ...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, SilverSolder, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83848 on: February 25, 2021, 07:31:12 pm »
This was in my home town in Italy. I took the picture with my phone

I will miss Italy so much.....

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83849 on: February 25, 2021, 07:38:36 pm »
All this talk of tin cans and string reminded me to check how an eBay bid was going. Good thing, I'd been lowballing it and I'd been outbid and would have definitely lost had I not done something. Time to send someone else's computer out wearing a ghillie suit...

Phew, string acquired:

Single twisted pair, foil shielded, 200m. I've been meaning to pick up a small reel of something like this for all those times that you know a test lead ought to be screened (like the sense lines for a PSU) but a coax cable isn't the right thing, so you just use a couple of unscreened test leads instead. Well, now I can do the job properly but 200m is rather more than a small reel.

If anyone who's within sensible postal distance wants a few metres, give it a week or so to arrive, then ask me and I'll post some out.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf