Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17690387 times)

duckduck and 77 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83725 on: February 24, 2021, 03:57:38 pm »
Dood... it's Stargate fucking Atlantis. The respect vacuum is to be expected when you take that gig. :palm:

Oh c'mon Atlantis wasn't that bad, especially now the war crime known as Star Trek Discovery exists.

Reminds me of a girlfriend I once had (an EE undergraduate as it happens), ugly as sin but boy she could [censored] like a [censored], and sne'd even [censored] while doing it.

I can imagine. The one female EE undergrad I knew could burp the national anthem and was into shoplifting as a hobby.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, FransW

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83726 on: February 24, 2021, 04:17:30 pm »
Dood... it's Stargate fucking Atlantis. The respect vacuum is to be expected when you take that gig. :palm:
Oh c'mon Atlantis wasn't that bad, especially now the war crime known as Star Trek Discovery exists.
Two crimes against Athena do not make either less appalling, or less worthy of smiting. ;)

That said... I'll let you know what I think once I've had a chance to watch both while stoned out of my gourd. Like Gene Jr was when he wrote dat shit. :-DD

mnem
*flup!*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83727 on: February 24, 2021, 04:18:56 pm »
I have waited a long time for this. While my Belzer engineer's spanners were complete in imperial sizes from 5/32" to 3/4", I was missing some of the metric ones. Until today. 15/16/18/19/20/21/22 aquired in fine condition. Ok, I had a rather warty 15 and a 19 (warty too), they did not fit in and I can bask in the gleaming chrome of completeness soon! ;D

My spanner collection is a motley crew, but it's OK with me anyway, and is fairly complete. What I would need is a set of very thin spanners for working coaxial connectors and such. A bit tempted to simply cut them from appropriate bar stock and heat-treat them. Or one can buy cheap ones and grind to fit. Probably needs a water stone grind to not lose tempering.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83728 on: February 24, 2021, 04:20:47 pm »
That counter is still one ugly mofo  :-DD   But I see a lot of zeroes so it’s excused  :-DD
I call that counter "Rodney". Don't get no respect. Even painting it blue didn't help.  :-DD
Maybe painting it blue is the reason you don't get any respect  :-DD

There. Much better.  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83729 on: February 24, 2021, 04:23:56 pm »
Canadians or Refugees this looks very tidy? eBay auction: #303887615917 Several other toys are worth a look from the same seller.

I wish people would stop posting boat anchor calibrators that are cheap/reasonably priced and for all practical purposes inaccessible from the UK. I think y'all doing it to taunt me.  :(

How do you think the boys in Oz and NZ feel?  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, srb1954

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83730 on: February 24, 2021, 04:24:52 pm »
Reminds me of a girlfriend I once had (an EE undergraduate as it happens), ugly as sin but boy she could [censored] like a [censored], and sne'd even [censored] while doing it.

I can imagine. The one female EE undergrad I knew could burp the national anthem and was into shoplifting as a hobby.

TBH, me using the word girlfriend was me being sloppy. The truth is that we'd just occasionally [censored] or [censored] together - that was sloppy too. The lass in question was the kind who went into the bar with her own pewter tankard tied to her belt. I've never heard her burp the national anthem, but if she can/could I'm quite sure that she'd be proud of the achievement. (Hi Izzy, if you're listening!)

Edit: And me originally saying "ugly as sin" is also an inexactitude. Let's say "plain", very plain. (Some of you may think I'm recanting because of the possible consequences if a motorcycle riding, pewter mug toteing woman is perchance listening in. I deny that, and will say that I'm ameliorating my earlier statements because they were genuinely unfair and I'll shiv anyone who says anything that might give her the impression I'm doing anything else.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:32:45 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83731 on: February 24, 2021, 04:26:57 pm »

Ugly girls need loving too and sometimes they surprise you....as you found out.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83732 on: February 24, 2021, 04:28:47 pm »
That counter is still one ugly mofo  :-DD   But I see a lot of zeroes so it’s excused  :-DD
I call that counter "Rodney". Don't get no respect. Even painting it blue didn't help.  :-DD
Maybe painting it blue is the reason you don't get any respect  :-DD

There. Much better.  :-DD

mnem

Doesn't help.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83733 on: February 24, 2021, 04:34:50 pm »
Hey, a dwagon has to work with what you bring 'im.  :-DD

mnem
I feel sooo dirty now.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:38:56 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83734 on: February 24, 2021, 04:35:33 pm »

Discovery was the best of the modern Star Drek series. At least characters were ambiguous and there wasn't a global reset at the end of each episode.

JMS rulez :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83735 on: February 24, 2021, 04:37:35 pm »
I have waited a long time for this. While my Belzer engineer's spanners were complete in imperial sizes from 5/32" to 3/4", I was missing some of the metric ones. Until today. 15/16/18/19/20/21/22 aquired in fine condition. Ok, I had a rather warty 15 and a 19 (warty too), they did not fit in and I can bask in the gleaming chrome of completeness soon! ;D

My spanner collection is a motley crew, but it's OK with me anyway, and is fairly complete. What I would need is a set of very thin spanners for working coaxial connectors and such. A bit tempted to simply cut them from appropriate bar stock and heat-treat them. Or one can buy cheap ones and grind to fit. Probably needs a water stone grind to not lose tempering.

I have done this more times than I can count. Needs a 8-12" bench grinder, a coffee-can full of water, and patience. Grind with hard pressure for short periods; edges starting to turn black is okay, glowing is not. Quench frequently. Do minimal deburring with using diamond/emery drums on a Dremel; leaving the edges sharp invites the chrome-plating on unground edges to flake off and become little knife blades.

Black Hawk, New Britain, Husky and GearWrench are favorite sacrificial brands for this indignity.

mnem
Stay hungry; stay toolish.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:45:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83736 on: February 24, 2021, 04:42:04 pm »
The Civic sat quietly in the garage for almost a month. Went to start it today. Battery said NO. Jumped it with the CR-V. Started immediately like it was run yesterday. Checked date code on battery. February 2015. Didn't realize it was that old. Time flies.

Anyway, it did take a charge but I should probably consider replacing it. Oh well.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83737 on: February 24, 2021, 04:43:13 pm »

Discovery was the best of the modern Star Drek series. At least characters were ambiguous and there wasn't a global reset at the end of each episode.

JMS rulez :)

Lower Decks beats it hands-down, and it isn't even trying to. I even enjoyed Picard... tho I felt the ending was a total cop-out. That imagining of Starfleet deserved to be wiped from existence.

mnem
I totally would've watched the Gary 7 spinoff that never was...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:44:58 pm by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83738 on: February 24, 2021, 04:46:02 pm »

After finding that R&S wanted to charge me 140.- for a stamped 16mm spanner, I did look around some.
There are thin stamped spanners of rather high quality available for people the repair bicycles. They are called 'Konusschluessel' (cone spanners?). The set which I have aquired for exactly the same purpose is 2mm thick. They are from Park Tool and bear the designations DCW0/1/2/3. The range below 11mm was already covered. I can recommend them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:54:20 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, mansaxel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83739 on: February 24, 2021, 04:52:41 pm »

Hmm. TBH the only science fiction series I've enjoyed for years is The Expanse.

Edit: fuck star trek after that. It's dead to me. That wiped it. Books are excellent too.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:55:41 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83740 on: February 24, 2021, 04:58:49 pm »
My wife is torturing me with Expanse... she insists on finishing New Amsterdam before we start the new season.  |O

mnem
*currently waiting for a new season of Final Space*
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:00:33 pm by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83741 on: February 24, 2021, 05:01:21 pm »
My wife is torturing me with Expanse... she insists on finishing New Amsterdam before we start the new season.  |O

mnem

Normally they do it by EXPENSE(S)!

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83742 on: February 24, 2021, 05:01:43 pm »
Gah. That's what iPads were invented for - so you don't have to wait for other people's shit  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83743 on: February 24, 2021, 05:05:26 pm »

Hmm. TBH the only science fiction series I've enjoyed for years is The Expanse.

The last I liked was Simon Brooks' "Continuum", at least the first two series. Rachel Nichols was watchable, the dialogue was sane and the pace was just right. The only niggle is that they tended to have one fight per episode, which became a little tedious - but then most fights are best watched at double speed.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83744 on: February 24, 2021, 05:07:32 pm »
Gah. That's what iPads were invented for - so you don't have to wait for other people's shit  :-DD
Naaaahhh... it's one of the few shows that's a thing for us. It's cool.  ;)

mnem
just the usual mild grousing aboot married life...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83745 on: February 24, 2021, 05:11:09 pm »

mnem

Normally they do it by EXPENSE(S)!

*tosses a few soggy ol' boots over old Amsterdam*

mnem
This spoo is not fresh.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83746 on: February 24, 2021, 05:23:08 pm »
With all the scope restorations lately the 2400 series stuff has been collecting dust. I like to rotate scopes on the rack to insure no issues and put some hours on them. The 2465 DMS just got some hours, now it's the 2430's turn.

And....I contacted the CL seller who has the Tek Type 321. Paying him a visit on Saturday. I'm sure that scope is going to follow me home.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83747 on: February 24, 2021, 05:25:50 pm »
Good good. They are super nice inside those 321's.

https://vintagetek.org/321-oscilloscope/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83748 on: February 24, 2021, 05:29:29 pm »
Good good. They are super nice inside those 321's.

https://vintagetek.org/321-oscilloscope/

Yes, nice open construction. When I get it I'll do a in depth teardown.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83749 on: February 24, 2021, 05:33:24 pm »
I look forward to that.

TBH if there was one Tek I'd still buy it's a 321 (and possibly a 568)  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf