Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17736974 times)

Jouko and 98 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83700 on: February 24, 2021, 12:54:01 pm »
I've flogged something on fleabay, the buyer has paid for postage but suggested that he collects it (which was an option in the sale).

I've no reason to believe the buyer is malovelent, but what do I need to avoid in order to ensure the transaction doesn't end in tears?

If you use the ebay mobile app it has an option to generate a QR code to scan
https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83701 on: February 24, 2021, 01:02:30 pm »
I've flogged something on fleabay, the buyer has paid for postage but suggested that he collects it (which was an option in the sale).

I've no reason to believe the buyer is malovelent, but what do I need to avoid in order to ensure the transaction doesn't end in tears?

Baseball bat or High voltage probe behind the front door perhaps?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83702 on: February 24, 2021, 01:43:41 pm »
(He doesn't have negative feedback.....)

Don't know about your corner of the world - but for Australia, eBay stopped buyers from being given negative or neutral feedback some years ago.  They don't want to make the people who bring the money to the platform uncomfortable in any way!  (Yes - even if they royally screw a seller!)
I dare to say that you might have misunderstood the intention behind that - as 'bad guy from down under' is somewhat redundant, isn't it?  >:D

It's a pleonasm:-DD  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83703 on: February 24, 2021, 01:47:39 pm »

That counter is still one ugly mofo  :-DD

But I see a lot of zeroes so it’s excused  :-DD

I call that counter "Rodney". Don't get no respect. Even painting it blue didn't help.  :-DD

The similarity is unmistakable.  :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83704 on: February 24, 2021, 01:52:46 pm »
Looks like Fry's Electronics has gone bust.  :( Not that I've been in one for years.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83705 on: February 24, 2021, 01:53:22 pm »
Was that the one you were trying to sell me a couple of years back at Harwell?   :-DD

No, this is a DMS that I got a year ago. You must be thinking of a non-DMS variant that I haven't tried to flog recently.

Ideally the magic number is presented by the smartphone equipped buyer as a QR code and the smartphone equipped seller scans it. Both devices are authenticated so the handover is verified as both parties have agreed. Have done it a couple of times and it works very well.

I don't have a smartphone :) The nearest is a HUDL android tablet with a crappy camera.

As for paypal sucking it back, indeed. They're changing it all soon so I've opened another account with Santander just for ebay payments and will use their new system. If you open a basic account you can't go overdrawn even with DD. They can duke it out with the DCAs then  :-//

Yeah :( Worth considering.

Don't know about your corner of the world - but for Australia, eBay stopped buyers from being given negative or neutral feedback some years ago.  They don't want to make the people who bring the money to the platform uncomfortable in any way!  (Yes - even if they royally screw a seller!)

You might well be right; fortunately I have never had a problem.

If anybody has opinions about "wirelessmarty", please send me a PM (i.e. don't post anything libellous here!)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83706 on: February 24, 2021, 01:55:07 pm »

I call that counter "Rodney". Don't get no respect. Even painting it blue didn't help.  :-DD

I don't know who that is. This is the Rodney I mean.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83707 on: February 24, 2021, 01:57:05 pm »
Looks like Fry's Electronics has gone bust.  :( Not that I've been in one for years.

They have been circling the drain for years. Never had one locally here but was in one once in Los Angeles.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83708 on: February 24, 2021, 02:01:40 pm »
(He doesn't have negative feedback.....)

I dare to say that you might have misunderstood the intention behind that - as 'bad guy from down under' is somewhat redundant, isn't it?  >:D

It's a pleonasm:-DD  :-DD

Don't care. If someone is a fucking idiot then they are a fucking idiot.  :P :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83709 on: February 24, 2021, 02:03:27 pm »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83710 on: February 24, 2021, 02:07:43 pm »
Canadians or Refugees this looks very tidy? eBay auction: #303887615917 Several other toys are worth a look from the same seller.

Nice instrument and with original documentation, the price looks correct.
It should not stay too long.

And it is coming with the riser card. Those things are rare as hens teeth.

I'm not biting. Even though it shows 0 bids so far and 1 day left so the potential is there to get it cheap. Except shipping to U.S. is $215.  :scared:

And.......no room.  :o ;D

Shipping is $172.32 USD for me. By the way, the seller is on the forum some time. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=123843

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83711 on: February 24, 2021, 02:19:59 pm »
Here's some examples.

Why homedepot can not be accessed from europe?

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.homedepot.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.955e6cc1.1614159297.a9b98ea

I don't know. Guess you'll have to go through a VPN. The other big box home center in the U.S. is Lowes. They have similar items. Try their website. Lowes.com

Not sure where in the US you are moving, but if it's minimally civilized in an reasonably urban area power should be stable enough. Over here I never add any incident and I simply use the typical power bar you can buy everywhere.

By the way, you can find 220v in most installation in North-America. It's normally used for the oven, heating etc.. so you could potentially have a dedicated circuit for your European instruments.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:21:52 pm by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83712 on: February 24, 2021, 02:23:47 pm »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83713 on: February 24, 2021, 02:29:59 pm »

Silly boy, of course you do.  :P :-DD

I have no grand plans to go to high accuracy Bridge measurements so no I really don't. ;) But maybe @Wolfy might need a drive down the coast  :-DD

It's also a incredibly good attenuator up to 20KHz. I remember doing some tests with my 7.5digits meter and oscilloscope and it has more resolution than every meters I got here. I should try again with my 8.5digit meter. All the transfo inside are potted in paraffin and don't really need adjustment.

You can still buy them new for only 15K USD :scared: https://www.tegam.com/shop/ratio-standards/dt72b/dt72bac-ratio-standard-7-decades/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:41:59 pm by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83714 on: February 24, 2021, 02:32:15 pm »
Here's some examples.

Access Denied

I don't know. Guess you'll have to go through a VPN. The other big box home center in the U.S. is Lowes. They have similar items. Try their website. Lowes.com

Not sure where in the US you are moving, but if it's minimally civilized in an reasonably urban area power should be stable enough. Over here I never add any incident and I simply use the typical power bar you can buy everywhere.

By the way, you can find 220v in most installation in North-America. It's normally used for the oven, heating etc.. so you could potentially have a dedicated circuit for your European instruments.

Likewise. I've never had any issues with damaging power surges.....although the possibility exists because in rural areas power is overhead and subject to wind/tree damage.

While almost all single family residences have both hot lines (220V) servicing the breaker box it is not necessarily true if you have an apartment. I have a gas stove and no laundry hookups for a dryer. My breaker box is 120V/100amp only. (One hot and a neutral) 

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83715 on: February 24, 2021, 03:09:58 pm »
Canadians or Refugees this looks very tidy? eBay auction: #303887615917 Several other toys are worth a look from the same seller.

I wish people would stop posting boat anchor calibrators that are cheap/reasonably priced and for all practical purposes inaccessible from the UK. I think y'all doing it to taunt me.  :(
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83716 on: February 24, 2021, 03:16:50 pm »
No, we would never do such nasty and mean things.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83717 on: February 24, 2021, 03:18:09 pm »

That is tempting.... but I lease and my renter's insurance doesn't cover damages in the event of falling anvils, small moons or boat anchors. Oddly specific, that clause...  :o

mnem
How many volts am I holding up...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83718 on: February 24, 2021, 03:33:41 pm »
I think it’s very optimistic. The SOA chart suggests that. As always you have to read the entire data sheet.

Aye, 'twas always the way. Once you get above ~10-20% of the rated Vce or Vds of a device the SOA limited power dissipation of a device plumets way below the headline figure from the front page of the datasheet, and that's typically at 25ºC Tc before you've derated the device for a realistic operating temperature.

Case in point I was looking at yesterday: FDH055N15A power MOSFET. Datasheet figures, front page: 150 V, 167 A, second page PD 429W (Tc = 25ºC). Look at the DC SOA at Vds=30V => Ids = ~2.1A, therefore PD = 63W only 15% of the headline power figure at 20% of the headline VDS and 1.2% of the headline IDS figure, and that's before derating for operating temperature.

Let's just see those figures side by side:
Claim - 150 V, 167 A, 429W.
Actual - 30V, 2.1A, 63W.

The front page (or two) of a datasheet is basically lies made up by the marketing department.

(And yes, I confess, looking at chunky MOSFETs is a tacit admission that I'm looking at doing a DC Electronic Load design, again.)

The following users thanked this post: bd139, srb1954

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83719 on: February 24, 2021, 03:35:09 pm »

That's him:

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Meredith_Rodney_McKay

Stargate Atlantis

Geez, you guys take this stuff SERIOUSLY.  :P :-DD

Dood... it's Stargate fucking Atlantis. The respect vacuum is to be expected when you take that gig. :palm:

mnem
*fuel*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83720 on: February 24, 2021, 03:38:54 pm »
Here's some examples.

Access Denied

Probably just broken by some pimply faced 'agile' code monkey pushing a "move fast and break things" build out without actual testing. It's working right now from the UK.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83721 on: February 24, 2021, 03:42:55 pm »
Performance/accuracy check. Must keep things in tip-top shape.  ;D

Was gonna say "calibration verify" but that's a dirty word.  :o

Reminds me of a girlfriend I once had (an EE undergraduate as it happens), ugly as sin but boy she could [censored] like a [censored], and sne'd even [censored] while doing it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83722 on: February 24, 2021, 03:48:01 pm »
On the Bench Tonight: Altec Lansing MZW300 BT Headphones

Picked these up at the Thrift yesterday; only got them because aside from the missing earpads they are in near-mint condition. Generally positive reviews and I didn't have any actual BT headhones, so I caved on my no more headphones moratorium. That BT spooker module will be relegated to surround-sound duty when I get around to it.

Sound quality is.... well they're as good as they can be, but they're still fucking bluetooth. Wired, a little boomy on bass (40mm drivers, 20-20K, 93dB/mW), but vocals are crisp and  they are effing comfortable on my big head... even without pads.

That is a freaking achievement; and  I have some synthetic protein pads coming from AliEx for $7. So... aboot $15 US invested. Guess my HESH IIs will go in storage once the new pads arrive.

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:52:10 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83723 on: February 24, 2021, 03:49:04 pm »

Maybe painting it blue is the reason you don't get any respect  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83724 on: February 24, 2021, 03:51:29 pm »

There must be something about being a 'Rodney' that is universal. I thought, as did I suspect most Brits, of this Rodney from Only Fools and Horses:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf