Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17501329 times)

EggertEnjoyer123, Peter_O, Glull, zrq, powerflux and 82 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83425 on: February 22, 2021, 12:19:05 am »
This should do:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83426 on: February 22, 2021, 12:32:38 am »
I have to confess that on reading Zucca's lament part of me was initially thinking "What can be so difficult about that?" and another part of me was thinking "Perhaps there's more to it than I know". Then I read your message and realised that I'd had that little internal dialogue with myself. The hard part is now going to be working out whether my first thought indicates that I'm susceptible to the Dunning-Kruger effect, or whether my second thought indicates that I'm resistant to it.

Do I even want to know?  :)

It's a Quantum-thingie: it is always both at the same time.  :-DD

No, no! You're supposed to say something comforting like "If you thought about you don't have it.".  :( C'mon you've had conversations with the SO where you're required to have telepathy to know the right thing to say, by comparison I practically handed you a script to read out.  :)

Err, who or what is a "SO"?  :-//

As for the "If you thought about you don't have it." - this is a part of the collapsing Ψ-Function. The only question left is: what is the result after the collapse?  :-DD

And about the telepathy part: In my experience, if somebody wants to drag me on that level, I'm switching into the behave-like-a-vulcans-mode and use logic consequent.  >:D 

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #83427 on: February 22, 2021, 12:33:18 am »
And back on topic I seemed to have spur of the moment TEA'd 'AGAIN' :-DD eBay auction: #154338382505 I have casually been looking for a 500Meg Scope for the last year or so as occasionally the 100Meg Migsig is a bit limiting.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83428 on: February 22, 2021, 12:40:31 am »
Err, who or what is a "SO"?  :-//

"Significant Other" -  A formulation designed to gloss over having to remember or know whether the "most significant other person" in someone's life is a wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/live-in-lover or, in the case of our antipodean friends, goes "Baaaa". I used it because I can't remember offhand your situation in that regard.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83429 on: February 22, 2021, 12:48:06 am »
I have casually been looking for a 500Meg Scope for the last year or so as occasionally the 100Meg Migsig is a bit limiting.

Just the same logic pushed me to get the Rigol 5000 series 4 channel, 350MHz last year.

Since I picked that up I haven't needed anything faster or with more channels than the 60MHz 2 channel UNI-T P.O.S. that it sidelined. I have managed to make use of the MSO capabilities, however. If I hadn't had it, no doubt, that 60MHz limit would have bitten me on every project. Murphy always wins.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83430 on: February 22, 2021, 12:53:41 am »
I have casually been looking for a 500Meg Scope for the last year or so as occasionally the 100Meg Migsig is a bit limiting.

Just the same logic pushed me to get the Rigol 5000 series 4 channel, 350MHz last year.

Since I picked that up I haven't needed anything faster or with more channels than the 60MHz 2 channel UNI-T P.O.S. that it sidelined. I have managed to make use of the MSO capabilities, however. If I hadn't had it, no doubt, that 60MHz limit would have bitten me on every project. Murphy always wins.

Definitely a 'luxury item' in my fleet of gear, I made do for years with a complete POS Hantek 20Meg USB scope and have never regretted the replacement of it with the Micsig. Current or planned projects likely to need more than 100Meg - ZERO  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83431 on: February 22, 2021, 01:48:39 am »
Having a coffeebreak in the shack so I fired up the 6632B to max current and voltage (20V/5A) and fitted the heavy gauge leads to the cheap and cheerful Electronic load for 15 minutes. Max Temp as indicated 54C and the underside of the board was only just 'warm'. Measurements across the range when checked in the past are fairly close to the DUT with the heavy leads but I might look at the board and see if I can add four wire measurement to it without to much hacking and chopping.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #83432 on: February 22, 2021, 02:14:03 am »
And back on topic I seemed to have spur of the moment TEA'd 'AGAIN' :-DD eBay auction: #154338382505 I have casually been looking for a 500Meg Scope for the last year or so as occasionally the 100Meg Migsig is a bit limiting.

Be sure to check ALL SMD electro's for leakage and PCB damage first thing.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83433 on: February 22, 2021, 02:17:18 am »

Be sure to check ALL SMD electro's for leakage and PCB damage first thing.

Thanks I did do a quick check for issues prior to 'spur of the moment'  ;) Seems Electros are a common on this model range.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83434 on: February 22, 2021, 02:47:40 am »
Ok it's a Mizuho MX-7s 40m CW/SSB transceiver. Rare as hell Japanese thing. They go between £330-£870ish here for a working one. But it's fucked. Says it's off frequency and sent me some photos of everything except the battery compartment. So I asked for that and yep it's leaked. Can see corrosion on the main board in some of the photos. Someone will buy it but I don't want to deal with it. Shame!!! Fucking Duracells I bet.

Either way I got the matching PA yesterday for £20 which will be tested, repaired if necessary and listed again.

If anyone sees one of these globally for a silly price without nuked batteries, buy it then sell it again auction immediately.

Someone is sneaking back into the Ham community. Next week we'll hear stories of trying to hang an antenna without pissing off the neighbors.  ;D

I have some bib overalls and flannel shirts on order for you so you will fit right in with those hobos. And stop bathing and grow a scraggy beard.  :P :-DD

Hell! Now I know what I've been doing wrong! ;D

That said, I wouldn't mind having a pair of those "Practical Pig" overalls------boilersuits are too hard to get in & out of at my advanced age!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83435 on: February 22, 2021, 02:51:30 am »
Ok it's a Mizuho MX-7s 40m CW/SSB transceiver. Rare as hell Japanese thing. They go between £330-£870ish here for a working one. But it's fucked. Says it's off frequency and sent me some photos of everything except the battery compartment. So I asked for that and yep it's leaked. Can see corrosion on the main board in some of the photos. Someone will buy it but I don't want to deal with it. Shame!!! Fucking Duracells I bet.

Either way I got the matching PA yesterday for £20 which will be tested, repaired if necessary and listed again.

If anyone sees one of these globally for a silly price without nuked batteries, buy it then sell it again auction immediately.

Someone is sneaking back into the Ham community. Next week we'll hear stories of trying to hang an antenna without pissing off the neighbors.  ;D

I have some bib overalls and flannel shirts on order for you so you will fit right in with those hobos. And stop bathing and grow a scraggy beard.  :P :-DD

I know easy money when I see it, that's all. Bored hams sitting there are prime ebay mugging territory at the moment  :-DD

Actually I need a shave  :-DD

Realistically I have some RF projects on the go in my head. NONE of them involve talking to hams though  :-DD

There is a thread which mentions those  Mizuho handheld HF radios over on QRZ.com, at the moment.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83436 on: February 22, 2021, 02:56:20 am »
seems that house with about 400 sqm of retired stables might be an idea.

Where, Where! I want it!
So do my dogs!
They would have all sorts of fun digging up fossilised horse poo! ;D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83437 on: February 22, 2021, 03:01:46 am »
But we WERE republicans.  :P :P :-DD

Don't you mean in-the-pub-licans?  :)

The claim that the Irish and their descendants drink a lot is a calumny. If we drank as much as people claimed there'd be nothing left for the Scots.  >:D

If the Poles get there first, there will be nothing left for either of you!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83438 on: February 22, 2021, 03:15:28 am »
https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8867/nasas-mars-helicopter-reports-in/

Just peeked in to share this, as it's one of my "things". Also, that tonight I started watching the 80s BEEB version of HHGttG with my son.

mnem
I've been waiting decades for this.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83439 on: February 22, 2021, 03:36:43 am »
OMG I just watched a Hermes driver trying to get a fishing pole through someone’s letterbox  :palm: :palm: :palm:

The really scary ones are those that succeed!

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, Kosmic

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #83440 on: February 22, 2021, 07:33:49 am »
you may want to add the question to the listing, including your answer.

Or put something in like: the scope is extra.

No, I always put something like, Test leads and scope NOT included in this sale.

I always look at the "X, Y and Z not included in offer. Only present to demonstrate that equipment is operating correctly" and think "Duh, that's kind of obvious.", and then remember some of the people I've encountered in life and think "OK, you're not an idiot. You really do need to say that for some people's benefit".

I normally do to. I guess I figured nobody is expecting a 2k€ scope to be included with a function gen. Goes to show I'm stupid.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83441 on: February 22, 2021, 08:09:09 am »
I am designing/buying an automatic garden irrigation  system.

It is more complicated than what I thought.  :scared:

Why I always get PITA served from the universe?

Buy a pump action industrial sized bottle of roundup and irrigate or with that once a year. Job done!  :-DD

I think you misread that, he didn't ask for a garden irritating system
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83442 on: February 22, 2021, 08:09:58 am »
I normally do to. I guess I figured nobody is expecting a 2k€ scope to be included with a function gen. Goes to show I'm stupid.

We here do. But dealing with people from other areas teaches us: expect the unexpected but above all expect stupidity ignorance.  ::)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83443 on: February 22, 2021, 09:05:13 am »
OMG I just watched a Hermes driver trying to get a fishing pole through someone’s letterbox  :palm: :palm: :palm:

The really scary ones are those that succeed!
Your kit has been delivered  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83444 on: February 22, 2021, 09:07:05 am »
you may want to add the question to the listing, including your answer.

Or put something in like: the scope is extra.

No, I always put something like, Test leads and scope NOT included in this sale.

I always look at the "X, Y and Z not included in offer. Only present to demonstrate that equipment is operating correctly" and think "Duh, that's kind of obvious.", and then remember some of the people I've encountered in life and think "OK, you're not an idiot. You really do need to say that for some people's benefit".

Maybe because isn't complete with bezel and knobs etc they thought it might?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #83445 on: February 22, 2021, 09:25:04 am »
Eh, well, it's turns out it's a film student or director that needs a wiggly trace on a screen, so I doubt they took into acount the diminished value due to lacking bezel and went "well, maybe..."  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83446 on: February 22, 2021, 10:21:42 am »
Also, that tonight I started watching the 80s BEEB version of HHGttG with my son.

The original radio show is much better. Best with headphones, lying in a dark room so the pictures can be seen in their full glory.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:23:41 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83447 on: February 22, 2021, 11:10:11 am »
Over priced Datron 1071 on ebay UK
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Datron-1071-Autocal-Digital-Multimeter-7-5-Digits-with-Options/184676115459
Its picured with huge erros on AC (+20mV on 10V)  You gotta ask why he dosn't show the 10V DC reading.
Panaplex display looks nice and sharp though 

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83448 on: February 22, 2021, 11:28:53 am »
To go with the new toy I think one good probe is in order. Anyone know this seller (besttestus)? Also what is the % chance of them being the real deal? eBay auction: #224159519411 Seems the rest of the gear leans toward them being genuine  :-//

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83449 on: February 22, 2021, 11:32:18 am »
@Robert763 Previous one sold for £310 on eBay, so yes, way overpriced and what a bad state it is in as well  :--
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf