Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16713070 times)

dew and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83400 on: February 21, 2021, 09:51:54 pm »

"Why yes; there is a TV included: This one."

mnem
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:03:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83401 on: February 21, 2021, 09:54:30 pm »
you may want to add the question to the listing, including your answer.

Or put something in like: the scope is extra.

No, I always put something like, Test leads and scope NOT included in this sale.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83402 on: February 21, 2021, 09:56:02 pm »

Don't know how many hamfest will be left in UK post covid

Given the average age, don't know how many hams will be left.

I've got some nice bargains at hamfests, without realising they were silent key sales. I've also sold quite a lot of stuff at the more "intellectual" hamfests.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83403 on: February 21, 2021, 09:59:32 pm »

Don't know how many hamfest will be left in UK post covid

Given the average age, don't know how many hams will be left.

I've got some nice bargains at hamfests, without realising they were silent key sales. I've also sold quite a lot of stuff at the more "intellectual" hamfests.

To be fair there are a shit ton of younger hams. They don’t go to clubs, don’t have an RSGB membership and don’t go to hamfests so there’s no huge visibility of that. It’s not how the world works now.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83404 on: February 21, 2021, 10:07:55 pm »
I am designing/buying an automatic garden irrigation  system.

It is more complicated than what I thought.  :scared:

Why I always get PITA served from the universe?

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83405 on: February 21, 2021, 10:09:14 pm »
But his shirt is too clean.  :-DD

Jedoch eines Tags (und der Tag war blau)
Kam einer, der mich nicht bat.
Und er hängte seinen Hut an den Nagel in meiner Kammer,
Und ich wußte nicht mehr, was ich tat.
Und als er kein Geld hatte,
Und als er nicht nett war,
Und sein Kragen war auch am Sonntag nicht rein,
Und als er nicht wußte,
Was sich bei einer Dame schickt,
Zu ihm sagte ich nicht "nein"

This is exactly what I'm thinking about as soon as people talk of clean shirts. (It's Brecht, from the Three Penny Opera. My recording is a 1958 one, on CBS with Lotte Lenya and Sender Freies Berlin Orchestra. It is the one showing up in Spotify, so is available there too.)

*looks up the sparksnotes and translation*

...And he hung his hat on the nail in my room
And I didn't remember what I was doing.
And when he had no money
And when he wasn't nice
And his collar wasn't clean on Sunday either...
And when he didn't know
What is appropriate for a lady
I didn't say "no" to him.

Heh. Wonder if he was any relation...

mnem
Purely because of concordant similarity with my own youth, and no other reason, I swear.
Hmm, Google Translate has it as this-

"However one day (and the day was blue)
Someone came who didn't ask me.
And he hung his hat on the nail in my room
And I no longer knew what I was doing.
And when he had no money
And when he wasn't nice
And his collar wasn't clean on Sunday either,
And when he didn't know
I didn't say "no" to him "
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83406 on: February 21, 2021, 10:10:42 pm »

Buy a pump action industrial sized bottle of roundup and irrigate or with that once a year. Job done!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83407 on: February 21, 2021, 10:11:53 pm »

Unless you're ignorant, on every entry into a new field (sic!) of expertise, you will find a rabbit hole. There's always something you did not expect. I might be so bold as to suggest that the only ones who do not experience this vertigo are the self-deceivers.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #83408 on: February 21, 2021, 10:29:18 pm »

Und als er nicht wußte,

This is exactly what I'm thinking about as soon as people talk of clean shirts. (It's Brecht, from the Three Penny Opera. My recording is a 1958 one, on CBS with Lotte Lenya and Sender Freies Berlin Orchestra. It is the one showing up in Spotify, so is available there too.)

<snip>
<snip>

I dug this translation up, which is by Marc Blitzstein, and was recorded by at least Bea Arthur in 1954:

One day comes a man
But what kind of a man
Do you know why he does what he does
He walked into my room and he hung up his hat
And I just didn’t know where I was
He was a lean man, he was a mean man
He didn’t own a cravat, smoked no cigar
And God knows he never made me feel a lady.
Just wasn’t time for sorry

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83409 on: February 21, 2021, 10:31:28 pm »

Und als er nicht wußte,

...And he hung his hat on the nail in my room
And I didn't remember what I was doing.
And when he had no money
And when he wasn't nice
And his collar wasn't clean on Sunday either...
And when he didn't know
I didn't say "no" to him.

Heh. Wonder if he was any relation...

mnem
Purely because of concordant similarity with my own youth, and no other reason, I swear.

"However one day (and the day was blue)
Someone came who didn't ask me.
And he hung his hat on the nail in my room
And I no longer knew what I was doing.
And when he had no money
And when he wasn't nice
And his collar wasn't clean on Sunday either,
And when he didn't know
I didn't say "no" to him "

The first two lines were not relevant to my response, and Google translate is horrible with punctuation. So I made my best guess.  :-//

My interpretation of this is that a man came to her room and hung his hat on a nail with obvious bedroom intent, but even though this whole list of things was true, she did not say "no" to him.

The sparksnotes on the ThreePenny Opera seem to coincide with that assessment. I recognize the storyline, so I either did something in school on it or I've seen a movie adaptation thereof, but it must've been decades ago.

mnem
*punt*
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:47:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83410 on: February 21, 2021, 10:33:13 pm »
Where's my umbrella ?   Gunna start raining shit !
Nope. I don't care anymore. He's used me up. I've gone back, and I looked at the entire previous exchange... because that is something I do. And you know what I realized? I'm not the one who has a problem saying I'm wrong.

I searched out "Cerebus wrong" in this thread, and I couldn't find a single instance where he'd actually said those words. Not once and I looked until I ran out of search results. Found lots of hits of him telling me I was wrong tho.

I then searched out "mnem wrong" and I found... numerous hits for Cerebus telling me I'm wrong. And 3 hits where I said I was wrong plainly and clearly.

And when I pointed it out to him, did he admit it...? No. First it was turning the tables aboot how I didn't really say I was wrong. Or... and this is too precious... how the fact that I do sometimes admit I'm wrong is also wrong...

But not a single time where he could bring himself to say those 3 little words.

Even when I was butting heads with Robert, he had no problem admitting it; in fact, took great care to make sure of it.

Now... I'm sure there has to be some instance where C has actually said it in here... I'm just saying I couldn't find it.

And now, can he so much as bring himself to even think that maybe his words had something to do with my reaction...?

No... because again... no matter what... I am wrong. :palm:

So from now on... I'm just not going to respond anymore. To anything he says. I just don't have the GAF left.

mnem
There's a "married life" joke in there somewhere... but I'm just too drained to figure it out.

If that doesn't indicate that you're obsessing, particularly obsessing about being right or wrong, then I don't know what does.  The latest thing you've blown up over was a pisstake about the American obsession with Celtic heritage and, yes with hindsight I ought to have realised that you, and only you, could possibly take that as an attack. A similar side-swipe at Med's Irish Republican heritage elicited exactly zero taking of umbrage. Part of me wants to apologise for upsetting you, it certainly wasn't intentional, but part of me also thinks that I shouldn't because I shouldn't have to walk on eggshells because you're looking for offence to take.

There's more I could say, about my good intentions, that I'm not alone in pointing out your attitude and other things that I've tried, repeatedly and civilly, to get you to understand what you're doing but I think the time has come to comprehensively admit defeat. 

So, I henceforth promise to not to reply to anything you say, no matter how much I agree, disagree, or could use it as a launching pad for a good joke and request you consider extending the same courtesy to me - just put me on your ignore list, please. It's clearly too dangerous to engage with you; each time I think it might be safe to I am proved to be wrong. You can't claim that I'm the problem if I refuse to engage with you at all. I actually tried avoiding commenting to anything where you misspoke for a bit, but exasperation that you were still 'at it' made me, foolishly, chime in again this time. Prediction: Me not engaging won't solve the problem, you're too fond of this particular "life script". You'll go off and make some categorical statement that is unsupportable again, several people will try to correct you, you'll go around the houses dissembling again, and then you'll just find somebody else to accuse of harassing and bullying you if they point the dissembling out and similarly get zero community support backing up your claims against them. Rinse and repeat.

That is my final word on the matter, I'm out of your hair for good.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83411 on: February 21, 2021, 10:38:06 pm »
you may want to add the question to the listing, including your answer.

Or put something in like: the scope is extra.

No, I always put something like, Test leads and scope NOT included in this sale.

I always look at the "X, Y and Z not included in offer. Only present to demonstrate that equipment is operating correctly" and think "Duh, that's kind of obvious.", and then remember some of the people I've encountered in life and think "OK, you're not an idiot. You really do need to say that for some people's benefit".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83412 on: February 21, 2021, 10:39:26 pm »

Fancying up the old place to sell it, or planning for the new place in the US?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83413 on: February 21, 2021, 10:51:28 pm »

Unless you're ignorant, on every entry into a new field (sic!) of expertise, you will find a rabbit hole. There's always something you did not expect. I might be so bold as to suggest that the only ones who do not experience this vertigo are the self-deceivers.

I have to confess that on reading Zucca's lament part of me was initially thinking "What can be so difficult about that?" and another part of me was thinking "Perhaps there's more to it than I know". Then I read your message and realised that I'd had that little internal dialogue with myself. The hard part is now going to be working out whether my first thought indicates that I'm susceptible to the Dunning-Kruger effect, or whether my second thought indicates that I'm resistant to it.

Do I even want to know?  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83414 on: February 21, 2021, 11:12:20 pm »
Where's my umbrella ?   Gunna start raining shit !
Nope. I don't care anymore. He's used me up. I've gone back, and I looked at the entire previous exchange... because that is something I do. And you know what I realized? I'm not the one who has a problem saying I'm wrong.

I searched out "Cerebus wrong" in this thread, and I couldn't find a single instance where he'd actually said those words. Not once and I looked until I ran out of search results. Found lots of hits of him telling me I was wrong tho.

I then searched out "mnem wrong" and I found... numerous hits for Cerebus telling me I'm wrong. And 3 hits where I said I was wrong plainly and clearly.

And when I pointed it out to him, did he admit it...? No. First it was turning the tables aboot how I didn't really say I was wrong. Or... and this is too precious... how the fact that I do sometimes admit I'm wrong is also wrong...

But not a single time where he could bring himself to say those 3 little words.

Even when I was butting heads with Robert, he had no problem admitting it; in fact, took great care to make sure of it.

Now... I'm sure there has to be some instance where C has actually said it in here... I'm just saying I couldn't find it.

And now, can he so much as bring himself to even think that maybe his words had something to do with my reaction...?

No... because again... no matter what... I am wrong. :palm:

So from now on... I'm just not going to respond anymore. To anything he says. I just don't have the GAF left.

mnem
There's a "married life" joke in there somewhere... but I'm just too drained to figure it out.

If that doesn't indicate that you're obsessing, particularly obsessing about being right or wrong, then I don't know what does.  The latest thing you've blown up over was a pisstake about the American obsession with Celtic heritage and, yes with hindsight I ought to have realised that you, and only you, could possibly take that as an attack. A similar side-swipe at Med's Irish Republican heritage elicited exactly zero taking of umbrage. Part of me wants to apologise for upsetting you, it certainly wasn't intentional, but part of me also thinks that I shouldn't because I shouldn't have to walk on eggshells because you're looking for offence to take.

There's more I could say, about my good intentions, that I'm not alone in pointing out your attitude and other things that I've tried, repeatedly and civilly, to get you to understand what you're doing but I think the time has come to comprehensively admit defeat. 

So, I henceforth promise to not to reply to anything you say, no matter how much I agree, disagree, or could use it as a launching pad for a good joke and request you consider extending the same courtesy to me - just put me on your ignore list, please. It's clearly too dangerous to engage with you; each time I think it might be safe to I am proved to be wrong. You can't claim that I'm the problem if I refuse to engage with you at all. I actually tried avoiding commenting to anything where you misspoke for a bit, but exasperation that you were still 'at it' made me, foolishly, chime in again this time. Prediction: Me not engaging won't solve the problem, you're too fond of this particular "life script". You'll go off and make some categorical statement that is unsupportable again, several people will try to correct you, you'll go around the houses dissembling again, and then you'll just find somebody else to accuse of harassing and bullying you if they point the dissembling out and similarly get zero community support backing up your claims against them. Rinse and repeat.

That is my final word on the matter, I'm out of your hair for good.

You know what you keep saying aboot how when I say "I'm wrong" I'm not really saying "I'm wrong"? That's exactly how this non-apology reads. Congratulations; you made your point with alarming lucidity.

I guess that really is all you can manage; obviously it never even occurred to you that maybe... just maybe... a few hours after a pissy row was not the time to poke fun at someone you just had a pissy row with.

mnem
G'night everyone. I've had enough. :palm:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83415 on: February 21, 2021, 11:16:13 pm »
I have to confess that on reading Zucca's lament part of me was initially thinking "What can be so difficult about that?" and another part of me was thinking "Perhaps there's more to it than I know". Then I read your message and realised that I'd had that little internal dialogue with myself. The hard part is now going to be working out whether my first thought indicates that I'm susceptible to the Dunning-Kruger effect, or whether my second thought indicates that I'm resistant to it.

It's a Quantum-thingie: it is always both at the same time.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #83416 on: February 21, 2021, 11:25:24 pm »

My interpretation of this is that a man came to her room and hung his hat on a nail with obvious bedroom intent, but even though this whole list of things was true, she did not say "no" to him.[/b][/i][/color]

The sparksnotes on the ThreePenny Opera seem to coincide with that assessment. I recognize the storyline, so I either did something in school on it or I've seen a movie adaptation thereof, but it must've been decades ago.

mnem
*punt*

Yes, largely so, with the juxtaposition that earlier in the song she's rejected men who were well versed, and whose collars were clean not only Sundays.  Then Mack the Knife comes along, being completely unsuitable, and she welcomes him.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #83417 on: February 21, 2021, 11:37:24 pm »
The hard part is now going to be working out whether my first thought indicates that I'm susceptible to the Dunning-Kruger effect, or whether my second thought indicates that I'm resistant to it.

Asking yourself whether you're a victim of Dunning-Kruger (in either facet of the syndrome; they can very well be victims both) is the first sign of a most important building block of progress; doubt.

As to myself, I was exposed to irrigation systems from an early age: my first summer vacation job was lawn mower pusher at the county sports facilities. There were a lot of industrial lawn sprinklers hidden under Astro-TurfTM trap doors, and it took a lot of work to get them running properly. I've stayed off the subject since then, so probably only have charred inaccurate memories. But gardening left scars, and our present garden is worse for the wear.

Edit: This is my kind of sprinkler:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:39:01 pm by mansaxel »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83418 on: February 21, 2021, 11:43:15 pm »

It's a Quantum-thingie: it is always both at the same time.  :-DD

No, no! You're supposed to say something comforting like "If you thought about you don't have it.".  :( C'mon you've had conversations with the SO where you're required to have telepathy to know the right thing to say, by comparison I practically handed you a script to read out.  :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #83419 on: February 21, 2021, 11:47:17 pm »

Plenty of affordable controllers out there already? What are you planning to use for valves? Standard 24VAC?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83420 on: February 21, 2021, 11:48:40 pm »
Well I've been searching around on evil bay for something to catch my eye and failed, well not failed exactly, found plenty but already way to rich for my liking. I like something bargain-basement that I can add value to and then either retain and use, or flip it again to fund further restoration of gear. Suddenly my eyes fell upon a mobile phone, not just any old phone, although I expect many of you will tell me otherwise  :-DD, but a Windows 10 phone, a Lumia 950 with 32GB memory and a glorious 20MP camera in Black and boxed complete with charger etc, all working and fully unlocked. I used to have one of these as a company phone and I really liked it, infact out of the phones I've had, I'd say that was the best, or was it just rose-coloured glasses leading me astray.

Anyway, I have been watching these on and off for a while now and they normally (in my price bracket) go for around £33+ unboxed, with some marks on the case, no lead or charger so I thought I'd bid early with my maximum bid of just over the going rate and forgot about it, just checked and I won it and with the P&P on it comes a tad over the normal going price, so fingers crossed its alright and of course these also make good mini Win 10 tablets running most things that my desktop runs  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83421 on: February 21, 2021, 11:49:16 pm »
Edit: This is my kind of sprinkler:

I believe that I've pointed out before that, Saskia like, my preferred grass cutting tool is a BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter".

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83422 on: February 21, 2021, 11:52:47 pm »
..., a Lumia 950 with 32GB memory and a glorious 20MP camera... or was it just rose-coloured glasses leading me astray.

Well, you want to be careful, or it won't just turn your glasses rose-coloured, it'll be your curtains too.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #83423 on: February 21, 2021, 11:55:51 pm »
they are a lost tribe on the stream of political correctness and cancel culture.
Wonder if they make it out alive.

No worries the COVID vaccine with the secret microchip will be soon injected on mass population.
The microchip will react to 5G waves and the reset plan will be finally bring joy and peace to humanity.
Finally the Illuminati will win and we will all survive.

Oh, and I was thinking it would happen by the "enlightenment" (reference Marvel, The Flash)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #83424 on: February 22, 2021, 12:14:54 am »

Plenty of affordable controllers out there already? What are you planning to use for valves? Standard 24VAC?

If this is for the USA, then there is more than that to consider.  What is your water supply; pond, well, municipal supply?  There might be a cost to get the water.  There might be bylaws on water usage in drought periods.  Does your location experience sub-zero (celcius) temperatures in winter?  You might have to design the system to be drained in autumn before freeze-up.

Yep, a definite rabbit-hole.  It sounds just as complicated as collecting run-off water from the roof of the house in order to water the garden...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf