Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16710672 times)

themadhippy, Vince, Andy Watson, Robert763 and 75 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83350 on: February 21, 2021, 06:19:25 pm »
seems that house with about 400 sqm of retired stables might be an idea.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83351 on: February 21, 2021, 06:22:41 pm »
SOLD!!! As long as the horses are included; I'm feeling peckish.  :-DD

mnem
Is moving assistance available? How much? :phew:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:27:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83352 on: February 21, 2021, 06:23:35 pm »
I have some bib overalls and flannel shirts on order for you so you will fit right in with those hobos. And stop bathing and grow a scraggy beard.  :P :-DD

Wrong clothes for the UK. A chunky home-knit cardigan, an English "country check*" flannel shirt, baggy high-waisted trousers in some dark green or brown polyester designed to simulate wool, and sandals worn with socks in the summer and brown brogues in winter.

* Only the label will be "C&A" instead of James Meade (who make quite decent sgirts).

Whatever the question, plaid is never the answer.  :-DD

mnem
Unless the question is "What is your clan's tartan...?"   
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #83353 on: February 21, 2021, 06:40:32 pm »
Gonna need either someone who nativly speaks german or is very drunk to translate this eBay message...

Hi

I wanzend to ask, in the „ TV“ Bülow in also in the Price?

Trank you

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83354 on: February 21, 2021, 06:40:39 pm »
Someone is sneaking back into the Ham community. Next week we'll hear stories of trying to hang an antenna without pissing off the neighbors.  ;D

I have some bib overalls and flannel shirts on order for you so you will fit right in with those hobos. And stop bathing and grow a scraggy beard.  :P :-DD

I've always heard that hamfests are where to go to get good equipment for cheap so when I decided to start building a workshop for myself at home, that's what I did.  That was my first exposure to ham radio.  Holy crow.  It might have been true at one time that hamfests were the place to get good equipment at reasonable prices but if it ever ways, it is not the case anymore.  It was all clapped out junk being hawked for insane prices.  I was joking around with a friend about how a lot of the people selling this garbage kept saying words to the effect of "I don't know what it is, I don't know what it does, I don't know if it's any good or not, but I know I want top dollar for it!"

And wow, unshowered hobos is right.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83355 on: February 21, 2021, 06:45:00 pm »
Gonna need either someone who nativly speaks german or is very drunk to translate this eBay message...

Hi

Trank you

My guess is:
"Ich wollte fragen, ob in dem "Fernseher" Bülow mit im Preis inbegriffen ist."

Not sure about this Bülow. There is a TV series in Germany, which is called "Praxis Bülowbogen", if this has something to do with it.  :-//

But anyway, that sentence is very weird.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83356 on: February 21, 2021, 06:45:20 pm »

Hi

Trank you
"I wanted to ask if the "TV" Bülow is also in the Price?"
A "TV Bülow" might be a floor stand for a TV? At least thats the only thing that turns up.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #83357 on: February 21, 2021, 06:51:44 pm »
[...]
The flames are bad enough but what is more alarming is the severe vibration.

If I was looking out the window at that engine I would be thinking that it's going to fall off at any moment.

The vibrations are likely why everything fell apart in the first place.  Wonder if there is an "engine vibration monitor" in the cockpit?

Normally yes on larger aircraft. I don't knw for sure on the PW4000 777 though.  They are intended to detect low level vibrations as an early warning. Not needed in this case as vibration and damage was obvious.
The early 737 vibration indicators were unreliable and when a BA crew on a later 737 had an engine issue their perception of this caused them not to use them in determining which engine was faulty. This contributed to a chain of events that resulted in the working engine being shut down and the aircraft crashing at Kegworth.

Most modern PW engines have telemetry.  I would assume that the pilots would have a suite of parameters available.  I also assume that the airline maintenance office and P&W would have near live telemetry to provide guidance to the pilot on what action to take to protect the engine before failure.  Any uncontained fault is going to get hard questions to the designer, manufacturer and maintainer.  As far as I am aware, something like a blade failure is required to be contained according to the regulations.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83358 on: February 21, 2021, 06:52:47 pm »

Hi

Trank you

Still confused. About this:

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/143925301573?ul_noapp=true

I mean... he doesn't think the LeCroy is included, right? RIGHT?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:28:18 pm by Ice-Tea »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83359 on: February 21, 2021, 06:55:10 pm »
Someone is sneaking back into the Ham community. Next week we'll hear stories of trying to hang an antenna without pissing off the neighbors.  ;D

I've always heard that hamfests are where to go to get good equipment for cheap so when I decided to start building a workshop for myself at home, that's what I did.  That was my first exposure to ham radio.  Holy crow.  It might have been true at one time that hamfests were the place to get good equipment at reasonable prices but if it ever ways, it is not the case anymore.  It was all clapped out junk being hawked for insane prices.  I was joking around with a friend about how a lot of the people selling this garbage kept saying words to the effect of "I don't know what it is, I don't know what it does, I don't know if it's any good or not, but I know I want top dollar for it!"

They were still fairly good here pre covid.  Couple of hauls over the last few years:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1775525/#msg1775525

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2374524/#msg2374524

To be fair there are fairly few hobos here but the ones that do exist are pretty awful.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #83360 on: February 21, 2021, 06:56:17 pm »

Hi

Trank you

A "TV Bülow" might be a floor stand for a TV? At least thats the only thing that turns up.

Clearly he wants to know if the "TV" below the item in question is included in the price.

In other words, yes, he wants the LeCroy scope included in the deal.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #83361 on: February 21, 2021, 06:56:53 pm »

Talking of which need to replace my fridge. Compressor is not making happy noises. Had it 12 years approx so not complaining.

It may just need a refrigerant recharge. Problem is finding someone to do it properly. You don't just "top it off" and call it good as many hacks will attempt. Proper method is pump down and recovery of all old refrigerant and leak check. Then recharge with new refrigerant and compressor oil.

You're thinking automotive refrigeration. Most consumer-grade refrigerators are a sealed system that is literally welded shut everywhere; they cannot lose refrigerant unless there is a leak. Unless that leak is obviously caused by an accident like impact damage to a copper tube, the entire system is suspect as a corrosion victim and only a really expensive box is worth the cost of correctly doing a evap replacement (the most common leakage point) and recharge.

Consumer refrigerators have a lot of objectively hinky manufacturing in them; the prevalence of compression-coupled copper-to-aluminum joints is a real weak point service-wise. While it is much cheaper to crimp/swage the aluminum evap or the condenser tubes in a fridge directly to the copper compressor tubing from a manufacturing standpoint, it makes reliable repair very difficult. Replacement parts which have a copper stub to silver-solder (high temp; almost brazing) to are usually more expensive than you can sell all but the most expensive fridges for used once you factor in the cost of flushing and recharging the unit.

There are some expensive units that are based on commercial refrigeration; these are designed to be repaired and have fittings for your gauges built-in. But in general, if it doesn't have those fittings, it's really not meant to be repaired and you're fighting an uphill battle against corrosion leaks, clogged evaps, orifices and damaged compressors that are just hanging on by a thread. If there's a problem other than simple electrical, recycling the damned thing is better for your peace of mind and for the world as a whole. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
Our current fridge when brand spanking new froze down the condenser plate nicely but after a few months wouldn't so we rang our supplier..... a small mom&pop retailer and he took the thing away for investigations and left us with a loaner.
Drove him nuts but after almost disassembling it found the leak with his sniffer and rewelded the piping joint properly and recharged it with refrigerant. 25 yrs later it's still going strong.  ;D

Mike was a damn fine appliance technician and keen duck shooter so we always had something to chat about .....crying shame the big stores ended up making his business unprofitable and he closed.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83362 on: February 21, 2021, 06:58:21 pm »

Hi

Trank you

I think that is exactly what he is asking.

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83363 on: February 21, 2021, 06:59:52 pm »

Hi

Trank you

Clearly he wants to know if the "TV" below the item in question is included in the price.

In other words, yes, he wants the LeCroy scope included in the deal.

After having a shower I think the exact same thing. He wants to know if the TV below is included in the Price.  :palm:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83364 on: February 21, 2021, 07:08:26 pm »
+1 for the "TV" below.  :palm:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83365 on: February 21, 2021, 07:15:03 pm »

Yea, the last hamfest I went to I've documented here before but it bears repeating. I paid my $5 entry fee and upon entry I was greeted with one table selling new equipment and one table of the ARRL. That's it. No surplus equipment, no nothing. And several tables of unwashed hobos sitting drinking coffee and eating donuts. These guys were nasty.  :palm: In less than 5 minutes I was out the door and I was tempted to ask for my $5 back. And as I was walking to the car I was joined by someone else who just left. We both agreed that it was a total disappointment.

A hamfest I attended several months before at least had SOME surplus equipment and I did score an HP 6215A for $15. But again, most of these Hams looked like they were in their shack way too long and needed a bath and a shave.

If I ever get that like that someone please shoot me.  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:17:19 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83366 on: February 21, 2021, 07:19:39 pm »
But his shirt is too clean.  :-DD

Jedoch eines Tags (und der Tag war blau)
Kam einer, der mich nicht bat.
Und er hängte seinen Hut an den Nagel in meiner Kammer,
Und ich wußte nicht mehr, was ich tat.
Und als er kein Geld hatte,
Und als er nicht nett war,
Und sein Kragen war auch am Sonntag nicht rein,
Und als er nicht wußte,
Was sich bei einer Dame schickt,
Zu ihm sagte ich nicht "nein"

This is exactly what I'm thinking about as soon as people talk of clean shirts. (It's Brecht, from the Three Penny Opera. My recording is a 1958 one, on CBS with Lotte Lenya and Sender Freies Berlin Orchestra. It is the one showing up in Spotify, so is available there too.)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83367 on: February 21, 2021, 07:29:20 pm »
I'll have to think about it.

Yeah, no. I don't think it's included.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83368 on: February 21, 2021, 07:31:36 pm »
Just for giggles I went to the ARRL site and checked for local hamfests. Not surprising due to covid came back with nada.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83369 on: February 21, 2021, 07:33:37 pm »

Wrong clothes for the UK. A chunky home-knit cardigan, an English "country check*" flannel shirt, baggy high-waisted trousers in some dark green or brown polyester designed to simulate wool, and sandals worn with socks in the summer and brown brogues in winter.

* Only the label will be "C&A" instead of James Meade (who make quite decent sgirts).

Actually, I have one of those shirts, but mine is a Barbour. Quite fond of it, TBH. The rest of the UK Ham Uniform is not to my liking, though. With the possible exception of sandals and socks, which is a very un-stylish yet practical way to keep warm and airy in winter, as long as it's dry weather. I usually resort to steel-toe work boots with double layer socks; inner wicking synthetic, outer wool.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83370 on: February 21, 2021, 07:36:46 pm »

Whatever the question, plaid is never the answer.  :-DD

mnem
Unless the question is "What is your clan's tartan...?"   

What is it with you guys over there? Every American seems to think there's a tartan with their name on. Apparently even a New York Polack who thinks his heritage includes a modern commercial "welsh tartan". The "Edwards tartan" was designed by someone who's still alive, one Sheila Daniel of Cambrian Woollen Mill, Powys, Wales. Welsh tartan? What next, Scottish love spoons and Laverbread?

Get a grip you lot, you're Americans, not some lost tribe of the clans of Boaty McBoatface.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83371 on: February 21, 2021, 07:40:20 pm »
they are a lost tribe on the stream of political correctness and cancel culture.

Wonder if they make it out alive.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83372 on: February 21, 2021, 07:48:28 pm »

What is it with you guys over there? Every American seems to think there's a tartan with their name on. Apparently even a New York Polack who thinks his heritage includes a modern commercial "welsh tartan". The "Edwards tartan" was designed by someone who's still alive, one Sheila Daniel of Cambrian Woollen Mill, Powys, Wales. Welsh tartan? What next, Scottish love spoons and Laverbread?

Get a grip you lot, you're Americans, not some lost tribe of the clans of Boaty McBoatface.  :)

Don't include me in that. My family tree has never made any claim to any tartan or similar. Nor did we make any claim to any family crests which seem to be the rage and sold to unsuspecting fools. As far as my late sister was able to trace back both sides of our Irish ancestors were dirt poor subsistence farmers barely able to make a living. As were most Irish immigrants and any claim to that tomfoolery is just plain wrong.

But we WERE republicans.  :P :P :-DD 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83373 on: February 21, 2021, 07:56:55 pm »
...You're thinking automotive refrigeration. Most consumer-grade refrigerators are a sealed system that is literally welded shut everywhere; they cannot lose refrigerant unless there is a leak. Unless that leak is obviously caused by an accident like impact damage to a copper tube, the entire system is suspect as a corrosion victim and only a really expensive box is worth the cost of correctly doing a evap replacement (the most common leakage point) and recharge.

Consumer refrigerators have a lot of objectively hinky manufacturing in them; the prevalence of compression-coupled copper-to-aluminum joints is a real weak point service-wise. While it is much cheaper to crimp/swage the aluminum evap or the condenser tubes in a fridge directly to the copper compressor tubing from a manufacturing standpoint, it makes reliable repair very difficult. Replacement parts which have a copper stub to silver-solder (high temp; almost brazing) to are usually more expensive than you can sell all but the most expensive fridges for used once you factor in the cost of flushing and recharging the unit.

There are some expensive units that are based on commercial refrigeration; these are designed to be repaired and have fittings for your gauges built-in. But in general, if it doesn't have those fittings, it's really not meant to be repaired and you're fighting an uphill battle against corrosion leaks, clogged evaps, orifices and damaged compressors that are just hanging on by a thread. If there's a problem other than simple electrical, recycling the damned thing is better for your peace of mind and for the world as a whole. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
Our current fridge when brand spanking new froze down the condenser plate nicely but after a few months wouldn't so we rang our supplier..... a small mom&pop retailer and he took the thing away for investigations and left us with a loaner.
Drove him nuts but after almost disassembling it found the leak with his sniffer and rewelded the piping joint properly and recharged it with refrigerant. 25 yrs later it's still going strong.  ;D

Mike was a damn fine appliance technician and keen duck shooter so we always had something to chat about .....crying shame the big stores ended up making his business unprofitable and he closed.  :(

Those older units had bigger compressors with a lot of refrigerant in them; they could easily frost up the back panel over the evaporator and were designed to work like that. The newer stuff has a compressor the size of a hamster with a thimbleful of refrigerant (only a slight exaggeration); they make their cold entirely by running the piss out of that little compressor and circulating lots of cold air through a very well-sealed and insulated tandem box.

If these frost up like that, it is muey gaucho; that means the evap is frozen over and there is no airflow. You get burger stuck to the back of the freezer and warm milk in the fridge. *blerk*

But those units do have good Ferengi potential; if the compressor tests good, usually it means the evap fan is seized up or the defroster thermal limit switch and/or timer have failed or if you're really lucky, the evap drain clogged up and that's what caused the evap to freeze. Fans are easily fixed with disassembly, cleaning and oiling the felt glands in the bushing caps. The thermal limit switch and timers are cheap, and often easily Macgyver-fied to use parts scavenged from units that died a grisly compressor death.

Wash the unit out with a garden hose, take all the shelves out and get to the evap chamber. Hose that and the defrost drain out, replace parts as needed, then wipe it all down with Clorox water.

Set in the back of the shop for a couple weeks burn-in & keep a log of temps 2x a day, then KA-CHING!

It was when the asshole salesmen started trying to sell unrepaired and unvetted fridges and stoves... and started thinking they could give us orders... and the owner didn't back us techs up when we told him how dangerous that was... that I looked for work elsewhere. It was a nice, decent-paying low-stress gig that fed a natural-born fixer's sense of self-worth. After that happened, it became just another shit-show.

When one of the salesmen (a right useless git in all aspects except that he could fill out a salespad for a product that sells itself) complained that his bonus was too small... and it was literally more than I made in a month... I told him he needed to shut the fuck up right then and there or he would find my foot on his throat. :palm:

When I left, they were expanding wildly... 4 stores around San Antonio and all moving new Ding & Dent appliances by the semi-load. Last time I looked in on them, they had only the original location and another on the South side selling only used, and that only 2-3 days a week.

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83374 on: February 21, 2021, 07:57:53 pm »
Ooh found a suitably rotten no hope turd to repair on eBay. But it’s an auction so it’ll go for insane money at the moment probably  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf