Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17486837 times)

djadeski, Original and 85 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83125 on: February 19, 2021, 11:32:36 pm »
I might pay that for the cats, but I'd pay them to take away that kid. I'm not saying he's ugly. OK, yes I am, he's ugly.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83126 on: February 19, 2021, 11:40:07 pm »
Lookit that Qty discount! Buy 23 and save 46%!   

Hmmm, evidently these come in increments of of 7 pieces... so unless you need a 6-pack & a spare, should probably consult your wallet local Ferengi first. :o

mnem
mrrrrowwww...?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:43:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83127 on: February 19, 2021, 11:43:27 pm »
I think, I'll order next month an electronic load from Maynuo @Welectron.
This one: https://www.welectron.com/Maynuo-M9812-Electronic-Load

I need an electronic load. I've already not done some things because of the absence of the same, and I've got projects in the pipeline that would make good use of one. I've been looking for a second hand one for a goodly while, but so far I've come up empty. I'm close to the point where I'm considering buying new, but every time I start looking at them, like that Maynuo, I keep coming up against the prices. That Mayuno is €620 and it seems a lot for what it is. I'm having a hard time persuading myself that the price of a very good HP 34401A is worth it for an electronic load.

Is it just me, or do other people think that the prices for electronic loads are rather high in terms of "bang per buck" compared to other types of TE?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83128 on: February 19, 2021, 11:44:40 pm »
Back on Tayda again, pick surface mail to get them delivered. They preprint their jiffy bags with $7 value and always seem to appears without any customs charges. I haven't tried it post-Brexit so not sure what will happen to be honest now but last time I ordered about $50 of stuff and it turned up with no charges via Royal Mail  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #83129 on: February 20, 2021, 12:03:00 am »
@tautech:

What do you think is a similar device (tech-spec wise) from Siglent?
What would you recommend?

Thank you for your answer.
Now there's an apparent hack for the SDL1020X-E that converts it into a SDL1030X the $499 X-E is now very attractive for its outlay. I haven't used one much but if you download the datasheet, user manual and programming manual they should give you a good idea of what they are capable of.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Mortymore

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83130 on: February 20, 2021, 12:05:21 am »
Hell. Bloody.
Muscle cramps like hell in my neck area. Plus a fever. And trouble swallowing because of the muscle cramps.
On pain killers and capsaicin/Campher rubs to relieve the cramps so that I can lift my head again
Fuck, that hurts ...
Oh dear, do we start polishing another bullet for you ?
The one for Brumby is getting pretty shiny if you want that one.  :-DD

@Saskia - sorry to hear this.  Hope it settles - and quickly.

After 2 weeks and trying 4 treatments, it looks like they found something that might be working.  At this point, I'm willing to step back and pass that bullet up to Saskia.
LOL, engraver out and practising writing Saskia on tapering cylindrical shapes !  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83131 on: February 20, 2021, 12:10:05 am »
I need an electronic load. I've already not done some things because of the absence of the same, and I've got projects in the pipeline that would make good use of one. I've been looking for a second hand one for a goodly while, but so far I've come up empty. I'm close to the point where I'm considering buying new, but every time I start looking at them, like that Maynuo, I keep coming up against the prices. That Mayuno is €620 and it seems a lot for what it is. I'm having a hard time persuading myself that the price of a very good HP 34401A is worth it for an electronic load.

Is it just me, or do other people think that the prices for electronic loads are rather high in terms of "bang per buck" compared to other types of TE?

Yes, I'm thinking the same. I'm looking since 2 years for an electronic load and whenever I'm trying to find one I'm coming back to the Maynuo 9812. They are probably cheaper if you buy them directly in China but this comes with some risks. So I decided to pull the trigger now (next month) and buy this bloody thing!  :rant:

If this stupid Brexit wouldn't exist, I'd offer you to lend you mine, when I'll get it next month.   :(

*sigh*
Life could be so much better with more co-operation and good-will on all sides.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, bd139, mansaxel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83132 on: February 20, 2021, 12:10:50 am »

1700 watts, $37. And they threw in my dry-cleaning for free.  :-DD

I'm a cheap bastard, so yeah, I tend to agree. Especially since I bought 4 of these modules for $16 off Amazon a few months ago. Diode and optoisolated gate, 200A/80V/300W. Voltage rating is a bit limiting for purposes other than dumping LiPos, tho.

Yes, I know they're switching transistors. Plan was to drive them with a 'duino PWM using a shunt and/or current sensing coil for closed loop. Afraid my circuit design & programming chops aren't up to the task... yet.

Point being... I'd certainly much rather have that 66312A measurment voltage source for that kind of money.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:18:17 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83133 on: February 20, 2021, 12:28:16 am »
@tautech:

Now there's an apparent hack for the SDL1020X-E that converts it into a SDL1030X the $499 X-E is now very attractive for its outlay. I haven't used one much but if you download the datasheet, user manual and programming manual they should give you a good idea of what they are capable of.

You mean this one?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdl1000xsdl1000x-e-electronic-load/msg3395024/#msg3395024

Hmm, will think about it over the weekend.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83134 on: February 20, 2021, 12:32:20 am »
I have checked the tants  and they are fine. Think Q30 just died.

Edit; going to throw 24v at the decoupling network off a bench supply with current limit and check that the IC isn’t toast first. That could have gone bad and caused the SOA to be exceeded of the transistor.

Ok fixed it.

1. Removed Q30, the ZTX 550 pass transistor B-E short.
2. Stuffed 24v into the decoupling network and fired up a VHF TX next to it. Bingo readout.
3. Checked current and dropout. Turns out it was blowing 1/3 of a watt off on that pissy little Zetex transistor. Probably why it snuffed it. 
4. Looked in junk box and found a BD140 and bodged that in.
5. Fired it up. Working.

Pictures attached.

I’m not proud of the use of an inline package in a TO18 shaped hole but it works. I would use a 2N2905A or 2N2907A with a hat heatsink if I had one but I don’t.

Edit: this is the first thing I’ve got to fix in TE space for months. Am stoked again  :-+

Hey, it works don't beat yourself up over it. Chances no one except you will know for eternity. Unless you sell it to one of us.  :P :-DD

If it was me, I would say "Well done!"

Living at "the other side of the world" from most of the manufacturers of stuff, you get used to "bodging in" differently packaged components, with the ratings that should have been specified if the designer hadn't had a "long lunch" at the Pub on the day they finalised the design!

The philosophy at most of my employers was "If you can fix it, it is mechanically robust & meets specs, don't agonise over exact replacements."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83135 on: February 20, 2021, 12:40:22 am »
I think, I'll order next month an electronic load from Maynuo @Welectron.  This one: https://www.welectron.com/Maynuo-M9812-Electronic-Load   

Anybody an idea where to get these nice 4mm banana adapters for the input jacks?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791381097.html

This one looks suspiciously like a repackaged M9712. It's CAD$ 415.69, plus $115 S/H. No idea what shipping is to your corner of the globe. :o

mnem

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83136 on: February 20, 2021, 12:47:58 am »
@tautech:

You mean this one?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdl1000xsdl1000x-e-electronic-load/msg3395024/#msg3395024

Hmm, will think about it over the weekend.
Yes although I believe Elasia was first to travel that road along with of course tv84's help.

Been thinking about model designations and factory calibration this morning which IMO because everything is automatically calibrated closed box then the model # is then added later in SW. It doesn't make sense that different calibration scripts be written for different models in the same range.
Some say a model designation is due to component variability however when all instruments meet their spec and some by a comfortable margin defining a model # due to component variability doesn't wash with me.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83137 on: February 20, 2021, 12:48:14 am »
I might pay that for the cats, but I'd pay them to take away that kid. I'm not saying he's ugly. OK, yes I am, he's ugly.
You really beat me to it. Seriously. I'd even gladly pay night and express surcharges.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83138 on: February 20, 2021, 12:52:22 am »

I want the cat that knows how to plunger a toilet. I'd totes pay $560 for that.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
Don't even think of buying 5 and offering plumbing services - we'll watch the ads in your region!

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83139 on: February 20, 2021, 12:52:38 am »
Restoring an older electronic load...  hopefully all those trannies in the wind tunnel are working!

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, Mortymore, ch_scr, factory

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83140 on: February 20, 2021, 01:23:18 am »
The philosophy at most of my employers was "If you can fix it, it is mechanically robust & meets specs, don't agonise over exact replacements."

For most well designed bipolar transistor circuits - note that emphasis - any bipolar transistor that meets the breakdown voltage, power dissipation, SOA and \$f_T\$ requirements is a suitable replacement.

I was always taught that a circuit design was NFG if it was sensitive in all but the grossest way to transistor parameters. Yes, there are edge cases where you're pushing the envelope in one way or another and you're not going to use bargain basement low/medium frequency transistors at VHF, there are times where rather more select stuff is called for, but for run of the mill pretty much anything will do.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83141 on: February 20, 2021, 01:58:34 am »
I usually buy them here: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/tantalum-capacitors.html

Take a couple of weeks to turn up. RS are ridiculously expensive

mmmhmmm... I keep meaning to price them out to the GWN.  Next project... I like that they take PP.

Oh, and it looks like I owe you a drink too.  ;)

mnem

I may have to check them out too. 47uf/35V for only $1 a piece.  :o That's a steal.  :-+
Don't forget to factor in shipping and any import duty, having said that, I shall be checking them out next time I need some. I presume that they use airmail rather than surface?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83142 on: February 20, 2021, 02:25:22 am »
I stumbled across this on YT, anyone seen anything like it before?

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83143 on: February 20, 2021, 02:25:51 am »
I usually buy them here: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/tantalum-capacitors.html

Take a couple of weeks to turn up. RS are ridiculously expensive

mmmhmmm... I keep meaning to price them out to the GWN.  Next project... I like that they take PP.

Oh, and it looks like I owe you a drink too.  ;)

mnem

I may have to check them out too. 47uf/35V for only $1 a piece.  :o That's a steal.  :-+
Don't forget to factor in shipping and any import duty, having said that, I shall be checking them out next time I need some. I presume that they use airmail rather than surface?

You got me curious so I checked out where they are. Thailand.  :palm: Yea, shipping might be a bummer and obviously delivery time. There shouldn't be any import duty.

But....at least they won't be shut down by an ice storm.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83144 on: February 20, 2021, 02:28:04 am »

I want the cat that knows how to plunger a toilet. I'd totes pay $560 for that.  :-DD

mnem
Don't even think of buying 5 and offering plumbing services - we'll watch the ads in your region!

:-DD

mnem
I'm not seeing a downside here...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83145 on: February 20, 2021, 02:36:33 am »

Yeah; I saw this one last year. Looks like the same guy, only a couple weeks older vid. :-//

mnem

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83146 on: February 20, 2021, 03:04:30 am »

Oh yeeew! You've found Bender's dildo!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83147 on: February 20, 2021, 05:07:57 am »

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83148 on: February 20, 2021, 05:35:45 am »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #83149 on: February 20, 2021, 06:41:00 am »
@tautech:

Could I perhaps interest you in a Chroma load?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf