Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16710697 times)

themadhippy, Vince, Andy Watson, Robert763 and 85 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83025 on: February 19, 2021, 10:12:07 am »
That makes sense then. I didn't read the report just glanced a few of the gory details. The dealings I have had with CASA over three decades has always been a good but firm experience when it comes to rules and regs. Even dealing with the rise of morons with drones and $ has been handled well with a fair bit of National TV time promoting safety.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83026 on: February 19, 2021, 10:21:55 am »
UK eBay £1 selling fees has appeared again.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83027 on: February 19, 2021, 10:29:36 am »
That makes sense then. I didn't read the report just glanced a few of the gory details. The dealings I have had with CASA over three decades has always been a good but firm experience when it comes to rules and regs. Even dealing with the rise of morons with drones and $ has been handled well with a fair bit of National TV time promoting safety.

I don't know if it was intentional deception or lack of understanding but they were using disengenious circular references to approvals and certification. The AAIB said " Operating Safety Case contained several statements that were shown to be
untrue"
Unfortunatly I've seen this sort of thing before ant not just on models. A classic is using a part from a certified aircraft in your design. Problem is you almost certainly do not have all the required background data used for the original application.

The other favorite, more TEA, is the EMC emissions specification (DO-160 / ED14) has a 3dB measurement equipment tolerance limit. The number of times I've questioned a 1 or 2dB exceedence over the limit line in a suppler test report to get the answer "there is a 3dB tolerance". My response to that is "the limit line includes that" they then say "no it doesn't" so I say "I'm happy with that view, of course you now have to be 3dB UNDER the limit to allow for your measurement tolerance so you kit is 4dB over not 1....." >:D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83028 on: February 19, 2021, 10:53:55 am »
BT Openreach staff gather together and put on their festive costumes for the traditional Halloween 'trick or treat' tour of our local cable ducting

Shortly after I took that picture an eleventh van turned up. Some sort of football-themed tribute to Nobby Stiles, perhaps?

When I came back a few hours later there were cable drum dispensers near some of the manhole covers: looks like they were putting in new ducting, dare I hope for blowing in fibre in the near future? FTTP = Fibre To The Promises
Took 3 years after they did that here. Don't hold your breath.
Just along the road today, what do I see?

Talked to some of the workers. Word Has Gone Out (and presumably, taxpayer's money has changed hands) and rural areas like ours are getting FTTP rolled out pronto. The PSTN will be switched off and the copper wire taken down. The fibre network should be going live in 'a few months'.

A pity, really, as the copper wires in the picture are only 3 weeks old. A 300+ year old oak tree came down and clobbered the previous pole, which is why the green is in such a mess. The tree was almost completely hollow inside.

Well it's finally arrived - I have just ordered an upgrade to 160Mb fibre Internet, which should go in mid-March (sticking with Andrews & Arnold). It was a long story. It turns out, contrary to what BT's network plans stated, there was in fact no duct at all along much of road, just direct-buried multipair. Eventually a crew turned with a neat gadget that cuts a 6" wide slot through the tarmac and into the ground. In this they installed plastic drainpipe (sort of) which they pulled the cable into - it has 36 fibres. You can see by where the duct disappears into various junction boxes how they will be installing additional splitters to serve additional clusters of properties along the route.

I gather the reason why we got done when we did (apart from qualifying for DCMS/government funding) is that our local part-time Celeb ordered FTTP on demand for her country residence. Price rumoured to be around £30,000 to £50,000. I suppose she can afford it!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83029 on: February 19, 2021, 11:38:38 am »

Bring on the glut. I have money to be taken and places to put things  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83030 on: February 19, 2021, 12:04:40 pm »

Bring on the glut. I have money to be taken and places to put things  :-DD
I must say that so far I'm liking this new eBay system as a seller at least, of them doing away with PayPal and the seller pays eBay who then, once it's been dispatched, forward the money to your dedicated bank account. For instance, it removes the extra overhead of the PayPal cut
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83031 on: February 19, 2021, 12:31:18 pm »
I also lack a decent AC reference/standard other than a 1.00VAC/60Hz reference of questionable accuracy.

Last time I found you a nearby Fluke Anchor for peanuts such as PsyKok's you woosed out and made silly excuses >:D

Hey, my excuses were.....ahem....legit.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #83032 on: February 19, 2021, 12:32:27 pm »
Yeah, sure.

Just remember where you are .....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83033 on: February 19, 2021, 01:14:09 pm »
As of this morning it appears that Mouser USA is still shut down. Last e-mail I got from them said parts would be shipped this coming Monday. Turns out there's a bunch of guys on the Facebook Tek group waiting on parts too. Mouser doesn't operate Saturday/Sunday so I'm a bit skeptical Monday will happen. In my mind if they are back up it would be smart for them to offer overtime to their staff and work Saturday/Sunday to clear the backlog. Especially for their high volume corporate customers. I'll bet the employees would be willing to do that if they lost income earlier in the week. But we'll see what happens and in reality I'm in no rush for the parts.   

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83034 on: February 19, 2021, 01:53:56 pm »
Choices Choices

1 Go to the Beach
2 Drink Beer
3 Drink Beer on the Beach

:-// 36C outside so the shack will head toward 40 later I guess  :phew:

fuck you, bean. cordially. ;)

Meanwhile, on the other side of the planet...

My morning cardio is done. Time for

mnem
Fuck. I just realized... I left my winter coat in the shed when I put the push-plow away. :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83035 on: February 19, 2021, 02:23:48 pm »
So how many more are we going to add to this list of cars that had a really, really bad design? Showing more examples of a bad idea does not make it a good idea; it just shows there were more than one person who had that bad idea.  :-//

Like that giant-scale UAV built from hobbyist-grade quadcopter parts and being flown over spectators with firmware that clearly didn't have any failsafe programmed. :palm:

That said... obviously I was wrong in that nobody ever did it. I stand (well, sit) corrected. Just because i have trouble believing anyone would make such a poor design, does not necessarily make it so.

I guess this proves what my grand-dad used to say... "There is no idea so bad that someone hasn't tried to make a buck off it."

mnem
 :popcorn:

So what design would you propose to put an automatic gearbox into a compact car with front wheel drive and transverse engine?
Just because you don't like it does not meant it is a "bad" design.  It worked an was in production in many models of car for over 40 years so not that bad.
So it needed more frequent oil changes, but no ATF or smelly ggearbox oil and not as frequent as the 3000 mile changes the americans seem to like,  believing the marketing hype from Jiffy lube, Midas and the like  :-DD

You just will not let it go, will you? How many such transmissions have YOU serviced under warranty, to manufacturer's specification? Do you even know how to change the oil on a Toyota...?

The world is FULL of compact cars with transverse engines. That is literally the single most common configuration there is, and most of them do not recirculate all the filth created by the engine into an automatic transmission.

The thought of what even a thimbleful of engine sludge would do to a modern automatic trans just fills me with dread. To deliberately introduce that kind of contamination into such a transmission is abhorrent for a laundry list of reasons. As you work with aircraft for a living, I know you know the kinds of tolerances I'm talking aboot, so your argument that regular, frequent oil changes aren't important is disingenuous at best. You're deliberately creating an argument you know is wrong. Oil is cheaper than metal, and keeping it clean is how I've kept cars running past the 250K mark for decades.

If it was a good design, why did they not keep it when they re-released the "little toy car that could...?" Oh right... because nowadays people expect to get 200K out of a transmission, not 60K. And nowadays, 200K on the original drivetrain, from throttle-body to engine to axles to lugnuts, is not unusual. So fuck your childish arguments aboot smelly oil, etc. too. Obviously these modern designs are better.

FFS man... :palm:

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 02:33:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83036 on: February 19, 2021, 02:33:37 pm »
On topic for once. Racal pr0n attached. Seems fairly clean and no sign of any buggery. Will do a full check out later and power it up but back to Kubernetes now  >:(

The following users thanked this post: med6753, factory, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83037 on: February 19, 2021, 02:35:26 pm »
So what, you're going to use it to count complaint tickets on the Kubernetes deployment you're trying to unfuckerize...?  :-DD

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83038 on: February 19, 2021, 02:42:00 pm »
Hahaha  :-DD

Mostly just working on where it looks like it’s working but isn’t. Pulling cables as an analogy.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83039 on: February 19, 2021, 02:44:21 pm »
So how many more are we going to add to this list of cars that had a really, really bad design? Showing more examples of a bad idea does not make it a good idea; it just shows there were more than one person who had that bad idea.  :-//

Like that giant-scale UAV built from hobbyist-grade quadcopter parts and being flown over spectators with firmware that clearly didn't have any failsafe programmed. :palm:

That said... obviously I was wrong in that nobody ever did it. I stand (well, sit) corrected. Just because i have trouble believing anyone would make such a poor design, does not necessarily make it so.

I guess this proves what my grand-dad used to say... "There is no idea so bad that someone hasn't tried to make a buck off it."

mnem

So what design would you propose to put an automatic gearbox into a compact car with front wheel drive and transverse engine?
Just because you don't like it does not meant it is a "bad" design.  It worked an was in production in many models of car for over 40 years so not that bad.
So it needed more frequent oil changes, but no ATF or smelly ggearbox oil and not as frequent as the 3000 mile changes the americans seem to like,  believing the marketing hype from Jiffy lube, Midas and the like  :-DD

You just will not let it go, will you? How many such transmissions have YOU serviced under warranty, to manufacturer's specification? Do you even know how to change the oil on a Toyota...?

The thought of what even a thimbleful of engine sludge would do to a modern automatic trans just fills me with dread. To deliberately introduce that kind of contamination into such a transmission is abhorrent for a laundry list of reasons. As you work with aircraft for a living, I know you know the kinds of tolerances I'm talking aboot, so your argument that regular oil changes is disingenuous at best. You're deliberately creating an argument you know is wrong.

If it was a good design, why did they not keep it when they re-released the "little toy car that could...?" Oh right... because nowadays people expect to get 200K out of a transmission, not 60K. And nowadays, 200K on the original drivetrain, from throttle-body to engine to axles to lugnuts, is not unusual. So fuck your childish arguments aboot smelly oil, etc. too. Obviously these modern designs are better.

mnem
 |O

By that reasoning you would still be driving a model T  :-DD
Its NOT a modern automatic transmission. The gearbox was DESIGNED to run in the engine oil  |O  (BTW I was wrong earlier, oil change is 3000 miles, but that is the same as many Americans do on modern cars).
No I've never fixed any car under warranty because I never worked in the motor trade. I have however had some formal training in car maintence and am fully qualified in aircraft maintenance. I've serviced and repaired many cars from classic landrovers to a modern quad cam VVT twin twin turbo V6. I've stripped and rebuilt several engines (including gas turbines) and gearboxes.

I'm going drop this now.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83040 on: February 19, 2021, 02:53:29 pm »
On topic for once. Racal pr0n attached. Seems fairly clean and no sign of any buggery. Will do a full check out later and power it up but back to Kubernetes now  >:(
I'm a bit disappointed about Racal. The unit would make for a nice companion to the 9009 modulation meter, if it would match the frequency range. Is there another one with this form factor? I know only this one and the VLF counter. Of course, even better would be a combination counter/level meter.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83041 on: February 19, 2021, 03:08:04 pm »

At first glance it looks untouched by Gorillas. Hopefully applying power proves that.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83042 on: February 19, 2021, 03:16:45 pm »

The thought of what even a thimbleful of engine sludge would do to a modern automatic trans just fills me with dread. To deliberately introduce that kind of contamination into such a transmission is abhorrent for a laundry list of reasons. As you work with aircraft for a living, I know you know the kinds of tolerances I'm talking aboot, so your argument that regular oil changes is disingenuous at best. You're deliberately creating an argument you know is wrong.

mnem
 |O

Its NOT a modern automatic transmission. The gearbox was DESIGNED to run in the engine oil  |O  (BTW I was wrong earlier, oil change is 3000 miles, but that is the same as many Americans do on modern cars).
No I've never fixed any car under warranty because I never worked in the motor trade. I have however had some formal training in car maintence and am fully qualified in aircraft maintenance. I've serviced and repaired many cars from classic landrovers to a modern quad cam VVT twin twin turbo V6. I've stripped and rebuilt several engines (including gas turbines) and gearboxes.

I'm going drop this now.

Two comments here...

One: How in the FUCK did you come to this conclusion based on ANYTHING I've said...? It is literally the polar opposite of everything I'm saying. :palm:

Two: If it had been anybody but me saying these things, you'd have dropped it 3 pages ago. |O

mnem
No, thank you.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83043 on: February 19, 2021, 03:18:55 pm »
Back to TEA.
My £4 Permameter turned up last week. Pretty much as described but sensor and meter serial numbers don't match. Basically works but won't zero properly and very sensitiv to movement.  So I opened up the probe. Fortunatly it was on a flat surface as it filled with thick damping oil (feels like silicone)  :phew:
It's really basic, a metal strip with a magnet at one end and a single strain gauge at the other. Put in on a magnetic surface and magnet is attracted to it straning the gauge. Probs are is its not mechanically balanced so affected by gravity and how level it is. Gauge is a 3 wire connection so that's not great. It uses AC and has both resistive and capacitive zero controls.
So no practical use but parts wise not ttoo bad. Sifam 100uA meter with plain markings, two pairs of 3 pin Lemo connectors, 10T pot, Dual stator variable capacitor, couple of decent switches and some collet knobs.   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, FransW, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83044 on: February 19, 2021, 03:20:00 pm »

At first glance it looks untouched by Gorillas. Hopefully applying power proves that.  :-+

Ahhh... The TEA anthem: "Off we go, on another wild RIFA hunt." :-DD

mnem
Uh oh... now all those tants feel left out... :o

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83045 on: February 19, 2021, 03:28:20 pm »

mnem
 |O

I'm going drop this now.

Two comments here...

One: How in the FUCK did you come to this conclusion based on ANYTHING I've said...? It is literally the polar opposite of everything I'm saying. :palm:

Two: If it had been anybody but me saying these things, you'd have dropped it 3 pages ago. |O

mnem
No, thank you.
Huh. I've always associated dragons with the Edsel.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83046 on: February 19, 2021, 03:33:47 pm »
Back to TEA.  My £4 Permameter turned up last week.

Pretty much as described but sensor and meter serial numbers don't match. Basically works but won't zero properly and very sensitiv to movement.  So I opened up the probe. Fortunatly it was on a flat surface as it filled with thick damping oil (feels like silicone)  :phew:
It's really basic, a metal strip with a magnet at one end and a single strain gauge at the other. Put in on a magnetic surface and magnet is attracted to it straning the gauge. Probs are is its not mechanically balanced so affected by gravity and how level it is. Gauge is a 3 wire connection so that's not great. It uses AC and has both resistive and capacitive zero controls.
So no practical use but parts wise not ttoo bad. Sifam 100uA meter with plain markings, two pairs of 3 pin Lemo connectors, 10T pot, Dual stator variable capacitor, couple of decent switches and some collet knobs.

That's neat. Which axis is it supposed to measure from? What is the original application? The only magnetic permeameter I've ever worked with was a big bruiser like this thing, which really only worked on flat stock of very limited dimensions.

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83047 on: February 19, 2021, 03:40:23 pm »
Huh. I've always associated dragons with the Edsel.

You bastard... I wanna be mad sat you, but you made me laugh and snort coffee out my nose. The best I can manage now is to be moderately irked at the mess...  :-DD

mnem
Have you got a Edsel...? I'd totally take it. >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83048 on: February 19, 2021, 04:00:58 pm »
I'm a bit disappointed about Racal. The unit would make for a nice companion to the 9009 modulation meter, if it would match the frequency range. Is there another one with this form factor? I know only this one and the VLF counter. Of course, even better would be a combination counter/level meter.

There are 3GHz units but they are slightly wider. Same type of chassis. Look for 9921.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:02:43 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83049 on: February 19, 2021, 04:19:09 pm »
What goes around, comes around. Several years ago when I got my first 465 I asked bd to open his up and tell me what resistance readings he had on each of the PSU supply voltages. He graciously complied and with that help I discovered that the +110V and +55V supplies were shorted together.

Fast forward. A fellow blogger has a 465 blowing mains fuse. He believes it's the +15V supply but isn't sure. So I opened up my 465B and I'm going to give him the typical resistance readings on all the supplies. Now even though the boards in the 465 and 465B are totally different the PSU is 99% identical. So my readings should be valid for a 465. (I don't have a functional 465).

Good Karma in action.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf