Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17255840 times)

Vince and 107 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82725 on: February 16, 2021, 09:00:20 pm »
Nope!

I'm just about done. In 6 months that is:

1. £120 loss here (looking like I'm going to have to foot it)
2. £65 loss on UPS delivering my stuff to Germany instead of UK and then it getting stuck in customs (idiots).
3. £70 loss on scammer who gamed me on my other account by returning an empty box (cunt)
4. Negative feedback because I wouldn't accept a return after 53 days on an item of clothing which was too small (I'm not a fucking wardrobe service), marked as no returns and ebay wouldn't remove that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:03:07 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82726 on: February 16, 2021, 09:01:35 pm »
Credit cards here don't have embossed numbers anymore, so those wouldn't work now.

They do here.
Still works fine for agitatin'.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
I haven't seen one of these CC machines for years and years, they used to be everywhere, now I do feel old  :'(
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82727 on: February 16, 2021, 09:03:33 pm »
Oh joy got another fecking ebay scammer problem.

Sent a Lenovo mini PC to someone via Hermes. Arrived apparently in a blue plastic bag at the neighbours with a different declared weight. Place your bets:

1. This is a lie and the buyer wants something for free (he already low balled offers several times on the item)
2. Hermes stole it
3. His neighbour stole it.

Any way this works out another £120 down the shitter probably.

I am no longer selling on ebay after this. It's a shit show.

Probably the buyer wants it for free, I refuse to sell modern stuff on ePay as it always seemed to attract more idiots.

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82728 on: February 16, 2021, 09:07:55 pm »
That's what I'm thinking.

I've asked him to open a case with ebay with a picture of the item as received with label attached etc. Hopefully he'll come up short or go quiet. he already said that it only said 1kg on the label but I've got a receipt and the label copy here saying 2kg.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #82729 on: February 16, 2021, 09:11:34 pm »
Those card or contactless payment systems are still fairly hopeless at sales that are in fields or museums in the countryside.

David

We've got two different systems for that here;

• iZettle, which is a bluetooth card reader for chip-and-pin and NFC cards. Pairs to a phone or tablet, will IIRC do USB to Windows too. In effect creates a CC not-cash register for the sales person. Some small barrier to entry, so mostly a small business and up tool.
  • For transactions between individuals, we've got a system called "Swish" which is an app, coupled to the electronic ID app your bank can furnish you with. Instant transfer of money between people. You need to have the app and give the person paying you your mobile number. You can also print out a QR code in which amount and recipient are coded. Pretty common for entrance fees et c. It's almost completely taken over ham rally payments, for instance.

Both systems work as long as you have data connectivity on your phone. When I was traveling with colleagues to the US, we used to split bills in restaurants by me paying the restaurant and them Swish'ing me what they owed. (Swedes split bills, religiously. Its known to happen on dates too, which surely upsets some people. When I go on a date, it's with my wife, and I usually pay for the food anyway.. )

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82730 on: February 16, 2021, 09:20:12 pm »
Don't Hermes photograph the dropped-off parcel?
My local Hermes driver doesn't, but then, they come to our house so bleeding often that they know that we are trustworthy. I however think that they do take photos if the recipient is not in, so that they can prove that they delivered the parcel. The problem with that is generally they are to dam close when they take the photo so that all that can be seen is the doorstep and the parcel, and one doorstep is pretty much the same as another and so sometimes it can hard to tell which house it was left at. We had a parcel dropped off at a neighbours house (not Hermes). I only discovered it when I told the seller that I had not received it, they got a copy of the photo and sent it to me, and I was able to track it down because next to the parcel in the photo was a milk bottle carrier and there is only 2 people in our street still have milk delivered. The neighbour claimed that they did not know my name otherwise they brought it round, the seller had written the wrong house number on the address label, so I was lucky on that occasion.  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82731 on: February 16, 2021, 09:21:07 pm »
Sweden/Iceland is the target/paradise, cards only.

Also for crime stop... everything is trackable.

Maybe after this COVID world war the new system will accellerate in that direction, no more touchy touchy papers/coins.
Sweden; I have cash, but I never use it.
Denmark: Same.
UK: Same.
France: Same.
USA (Las Vegas, including road trip from LAX): Same. Did not even bother with exchanging any money. I still have a 1$ banknote in my wallet from the last time before I went there.
Germany: It's like the 1970s, you better know where your closest Kreissparkasse is, because you'll need to visit their ATM.
Italy: Mixed bag. Venezia was easy. Firenze was so-and-so -- ice cream parlor did not accept cards  :palm: -- but their sister coffee shop did, so I had to run between them and haggle a bit. Naples was batshit crazy. No-one accepted cards. Especially not the two guys in leather jackets at the
"long-term car park" who were standing around smoking and in a strange way very reassuringly were able to convey the feeling that as long as I paid them, cash, the car would spend three days on their dusty lot, and the only thing that would happen to it was that a cat had walked over it. The paw-marks were obvious.

I am not very proud of the fact that I've most likely fed cash into the extralegal economy of the Italian south, but it is an experience I at the same time don't want to be without.

In Italy paying/being paid in cash to keep the Guardia di Finanza guessing is not merely the national pastime, it's practically regarded as your patriotic duty as an Italian. If you let the government get their hands on any of your hard won money they'll only go and waste it.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Saskia

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82732 on: February 16, 2021, 09:23:51 pm »

The black economy is alive and well in most countries, even the ones that are "officially" mostly electronic!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #82733 on: February 16, 2021, 09:26:14 pm »
Those card or contactless payment systems are still fairly hopeless at sales that are in fields or museums in the countryside.

David

I suggest you visit a "farmers market" operating in a car park or roadside. All the traders take contactless payments; even before covid, my daughter had half her takings via contactless reader and her android phone.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82734 on: February 16, 2021, 09:26:51 pm »
Nope!

2. £65 loss on UPS delivering my stuff to Germany instead of UK and then it getting stuck in customs (idiots).
3. £70 loss on scammer who gamed me on my other account by returning an empty box (cunt)
4. Negative feedback because I wouldn't accept a return after 53 days on an item of clothing which was too small (I'm not a fucking wardrobe service), marked as no returns and ebay wouldn't remove that.
Why the fuck are you £65 down on item 2, was that the customs duty? Either way, that was down to UPS, they clearly are unable to read, next they will be taking money but asking us to deliver the parcel for them so that they don't carry any risks. They have insurance for times like that anyway.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82735 on: February 16, 2021, 09:28:16 pm »
After I got back from there I found a new but faulty light had been left for me to try & fix, after a bit of testing it became apparent the HT7330-A 3V LDO regulator was only providing 1.2V for the mystery IC, need to order some as I haven't got any 3V regulators of any kind, will see what Farnell have.

David

Oooff... and I just stripped out two of those (working) today, they may still be retrievable from the rubbish bag...

Have you been changing out lots of them because they are really unreliable or something? I was given a couple of the older tube based units that they replaced with the LED versions.
I've got a couple of LDO's on the way from Farnell, along with some other stuff I've been meaning to order for a few weeks.

Here is the board with the 3V LDO removed, I checked the current draw from the HP supply, highest is about 3mA, the mystery chip (microcontroller?) runs OK till the voltage drops to 2V.

David
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:30:19 pm by factory »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82736 on: February 16, 2021, 09:36:31 pm »

David

I suggest you visit a "farmers market" operating in a car park or roadside. All the traders take contactless payments; even before covid, my daughter had half her takings via contactless reader and her android phone.

Perhaps I should have been clearer, the mobile network is crap up here in the North in the countryside, when it does work it's not always the right network for the devices.
That's the problem with having all these separate companies running their own networks, it's about time these companies were forced the share networks in areas with only one mast, other problems are people in villages that don't want the masts in the first place and get the planning applications blocked.  :--

David

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82737 on: February 16, 2021, 09:38:20 pm »
Nope!

If this continues, you might want to think about setting up an Excel file to keep track of your misfortune.  ::)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82738 on: February 16, 2021, 09:40:30 pm »
I made a lot more than that in total so meh but it's still annoying  :-DD

Nope!

Why the fuck are you £65 down on item 2, was that the customs duty? Either way, that was down to UPS, they clearly are unable to read, next they will be taking money but asking us to deliver the parcel for them so that they don't carry any risks. They have insurance for times like that anyway.

Item two:

1. Sent item to Newark UK from London UK.
2. Gets routed overseas and stuck in frankfurt
3. Phone UPS. UPS say if after 72 hours it hasn't been delivered, they will pay claim.
4. Phone UPS. Can't open a case because it was via packlink. They claim it will be delivered.
5. Raise with Packlink. Packlink claim UPS tell them it will be delivered.

So no one will take responsibility.

In this case I've spoken to the buyer and he's shown me enough evidence to point to Hermes stealing it and being too ashamed to knock on his actual door to deliver it in case he rejects it. I've got photos at each end.

Edit: buyer is seriously edgy about opening a claim. Suspicious!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:53:05 pm by bd139 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82739 on: February 16, 2021, 09:50:37 pm »

David

Perhaps I should have been clearer, the mobile network is crap up here in the North in the countryside, when it does work it's not always the right network for the devices.
That's the problem with having all these separate companies running their own networks, it's about time these companies were forced the share networks in areas with only one mast, other problems are people in villages that don't want the masts in the first place and get the planning applications blocked.  :--

David
Yep especially the nationwide data backhaul providers as their microwave towers are always in prime elevated sites yet no one close by might have cell or wireless point to point services.
We proposed hanging P-P dishes on our nationwide providers towers to serve remote areas only to be required to have HW that could withstand 200 mph conditions and an arm and leg fee just for access to 1 single RJ45 port.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82740 on: February 16, 2021, 10:00:09 pm »

Nope!

Item two:

3. Phone UPS. UPS say if after 72 hours it hasn't been delivered, they will pay claim.
4. Phone UPS. Can't open a case because it was via packlink. They claim it will be delivered.

In this case I've spoken to the buyer and he's shown me enough evidence to point to Hermes stealing it and being too ashamed to knock on his actual door to deliver it in case he rejects it. I've got photos at each end.

At what point do you raise a case with your card/PayPal...?

You take the money out of their account, you'll get their attention.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82741 on: February 16, 2021, 10:02:32 pm »
Difficult. Charge back and they close your PayPal and blacklist you.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82742 on: February 16, 2021, 10:08:01 pm »
Some impressive footage of overhead [street] powerlines arcing over:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82743 on: February 16, 2021, 10:08:42 pm »
Difficult. Charge back and they close your PayPal and blacklist you.

Since when? I've done it with UPS twice. Motherfuckers didn't deliver, they don't get fukkin' paid. PayPal handled it all for me.  :-//

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82744 on: February 16, 2021, 10:35:45 pm »

Nope!

Item two:

Simples, take it to a small claims court, you have done this before. I fail to see how UPS or Hermes?? can fail to accept the responsibility for this monumental fuck up.
1 You sent from London to buyer in Newark, both clearly in the UK
2. Packlink did not actually deliver it or even see it / handle it, they merely arrange a price for you which should be cheaper than going to the courier direct but I doubt it.
3. The address label you had to print it and attach it to the parcel, and it has a barcode to enable it to be scanned.
4. I presume that you actually checked the label prior to sticking it on the parcel?
5. Did you take it to the drop off point and did you get a receipt for it?
6. Regardless of if you used Packlinks service for the pricing labelling, it was still either Hermes or UPS who collected the parcel and accepted the job of delivering, therefore it was their system which ultimately failed not yours, the buyers or Packlinks.
7. I fail to see how they can possibly claim anything other than that.
8. Did you happen to download the Packlink label as a PDF file? If so you can prove that the address was perfectly correct. Assuming that you didn't delete it, but I suspect that you probably did it knowing you and how you like to run a lean ship.

I only used their service once, now I have decided that it is just as easy to do all the booking etc direct with the courier of your choice and remove all of that BS.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 10:41:37 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82745 on: February 16, 2021, 10:37:09 pm »
Want to try that. Packlink are based in Spain. Everyone points to everyone. Best to shit in a box and hope that gets delivered to their HQ  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82746 on: February 16, 2021, 10:45:30 pm »
Want to try that. Packlink are based in Spain. Everyone points to everyone. Best to shit in a box and hope that gets delivered to their HQ  :-DD
But it was still the courier who fucked up, what ever you cut it up, it still comes back to them at the end.

Anyway, just because you sell on eBay, it does not mean that you have to use their shipping method, you can still use whatever method you wish.

Edit;
I know that you take the viewpoint that time is money, but that viewpoint is coming back to bite you, you did the same thing recently with that yellow box junction fine (I admit it would hard to prove without supporting dashcam footage) but you had a dashcam that broke and never replaced it. I think you just roll over way to easily instead of digging your heels and make an issue over it. Stop being a Patsy, if everyone did that then these companies have no one to answer to and are free to do what the hell they like.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 10:52:50 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82747 on: February 16, 2021, 10:51:57 pm »
But it was still the courier who fucked up, what ever you cut it up, it still comes back to them at the end.

Anyway, just because you sell on eBay, it does not mean that you have to use their shipping method, you can still use whatever method you wish.

Yeah I'm using Hermes direct now. I know Hermes actually have a half decent claims process if you go direct to them. I've used it before and got refund for £300 item next day!

But really I think I'm done with the whole selling side of things. I've just gone through the sales spreadsheet and removed what I can't be arsed with and what isn't worth sending and I'm left with £88 of stuff. I don't need the extra income and moving has gone to shit so I might as well go into full "pile my house up to the ceiling with shit" mode  :-DD

Hold my beer. eBay time  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82748 on: February 16, 2021, 10:53:30 pm »
I had a Rohde & Schwarz power supply unit on my watchlist, a NGT 20 which is a three-channel PSU.
Channel 1 and 2 can do 0 - 20 V / 1 A and channel three can do 0 - 6V / 5A.
It had 5 hours left and no one was bidding on it. So I thought, there may be some
snipers in the background. I thought, this is a nice one so I'd give it a try.
Starting bid was 220 EUR (set my bid to 230 EUR).
Now I've checked and found that I've won the auction!  :wtf:
No snipers! Where are they, when you need them?  :-DD

That's the thing:

That was the best picture, the other pictures are really crappy.

This was the auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254862074944
It is a nice fanless PSU with linear regulation. Look at the huge heat sink on his back!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:00:18 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, syau

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82749 on: February 16, 2021, 10:54:38 pm »

Yeah I'm using Hermes direct now. I know Hermes actually have a half decent claims process if you go direct to them. I've used it before and got refund for £300 item next day!

But really I think I'm done with the whole selling side of things. I've just gone through the sales spreadsheet and removed what I can't be arsed with and what isn't worth sending and I'm left with £88 of stuff. I don't need the extra income and moving has gone to shit so I might as well go into full "pile my house up to the ceiling with shit" mode  :-DD

Hold my beer. eBay time  :-DD
Read my edit to the message you replied to.... :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf