Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17852075 times)

Vince and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82625 on: February 15, 2021, 10:41:11 pm »
Spotting the Gossen reminded me that I hadn't trawled eBay for any Gossen stuff for a while, so I did. Turned up this oddity (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Siemens-Multimeter-A-D-GOSSEN-UVA-D-Multimeter/383889451073?hash=item5961982841:g:8UMAAOSwcbpf9GFv).
I don't think I've ever seen this done before.   
After someone posted about one of those here before I bought a pair of them, trouble is neither work & no service information is available as far as I can tell.

David
oh, you need to go for the Trifecta then...!  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to watch Bill & Ted be idiotic with my son*
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 01:40:29 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82626 on: February 15, 2021, 11:04:34 pm »
Didn’t know that! Very handy. I know you can annotate screenshots with the iPad/pencil - that’s super handy.

Just won some TE  :-+. Back on the wagon  :-DD.

So it’s a Racal 9917 counter. This is the same as the old 9915’s I had but doesn’t have the notoriously incendiary battery option. Also it comes with option 04A which is a 9442 crystal oven   :-+

Good to see your back to acquiring TEA, that looks a nice one, I meant to bid on another older Racal yesterday, but I was to busy sorting out paperwork & crap & forgot about it. The worst thing was I found an unopened letter from last year where I should have stayed off work in July with the shielding.  :palm:
Had quite a bad headache after dealing with all that, now I've got another as the exhaust has fell off* my van (I wondered why it sounded better last week when I went the docs).

*OK I took it off as it wasn't attached at all, completely failed around a weld, can't blame Citroen for this one, I think I've found the problem (circled). It's 3 years overdue a timing belt change & the MOT service is due in March so it's going to eat into this & next months TEA budget.  :(

David

Have to laugh at the made in England thing. Yes that's probably exactly it  :-DD

On Racal things, I'm only going for 1970s and later LED based stuff so I'm not going to be treading on the nixie freaks. Perhaps if a half decent Heathkit IB-1100 turns up I may go for that but that's about it. Only because I have the entire functional structure of one of them embedded in my mind.

Dead simple and quite nice counters!

Actually it was an LED based Racal, with some common parts to the one I repaired recently, still need to revisit that as the input is a bit deaf, wouldn't count the output of the HP 10544A oscillator was testing the other week.
That Heathkit has a similar look to the Yaesu I bought last year, does the Heathkit also run from 12V?

One these will fix it
https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/easy-fit-bandage/
NOT

After a boring & lengthy wait (about 2hours) at Kwik-Fit the exhaust has been replaced, needed it working for Thursday to go Docs again for blood removal.
After I got back from there I found a new but faulty light had been left for me to try & fix, after a bit of testing it became apparent the HT7330-A 3V LDO regulator was only providing 1.2V for the mystery IC, need to order some as I haven't got any 3V regulators of any kind, will see what Farnell have.

David
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:11:20 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82627 on: February 15, 2021, 11:32:29 pm »
Isn't nice to suddenly find something broken on the bench left by the lady of house? And since it's left in plain sight in the middle of the bench she is dropping a hint. A big hint. Whatever you were doing this comes first.  :o

Failure to catch that hint can be dangerous.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82628 on: February 15, 2021, 11:43:05 pm »
On Racal things, I'm only going for 1970s and later LED based stuff so I'm not going to be treading on the nixie freaks. Perhaps if a half decent Heathkit IB-1100 turns up I may go for that but that's about it. Only because I have the entire functional structure of one of them embedded in my mind.

Dead simple and quite nice counters!

Actually it was an LED based Racal, with some common parts to the one I repaired recently, still need to revisit that as the input is a bit deaf, wouldn't count the output of the HP 10544A oscillator was testing the other week.
That Heathkit has a similar look to the Yaesu I bought last year, does the Heathkit also run from 12V?

That's quite a nice little counter that Yaesu. Considerably better engineered than the Heathkit one for sure but I imagine along similar lines on engineering. The Heathkit doesn't run off 12V but could. The power supply was a fairly basic linear with +5.6, +15 and +170V rails which is not beyond a couple of simple buck/boost type circuits to resolve. I've included a picture of the insides for comparison. Being heathkit, all expenses are spared.

I've actually had three of these. The first one was ok after a racap. The second one had a completely broken oscillator so I had to rebuild one from scratch. The third one had one of the nixie tubes destroyed, the front end was gone and I stripped for parts in the end. I think someone in this thread bought the tubes off me  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82629 on: February 16, 2021, 12:00:11 am »
Isn't nice to suddenly find something broken on the bench left by the lady of house? And since it's left in plain sight in the middle of the bench she is dropping a hint. A big hint. Whatever you were doing this comes first.  :o   Failure to catch that hint can be dangerous.  ;D

As mine is an enabler, with a tendency to make thingzz like my UTG962E and that PanaVise also randomly appear on my bench...

Fair dinkum, says I !  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82630 on: February 16, 2021, 01:29:21 am »
What is it with skanky mouldy 'scopes on ebay at the moment?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-210-60-MHz-1-GS-s-Digital-Real-Time-2-channel-Oscilloscope/133659935467 :-BROKE

Meanwhile, this NIB SDS1102 is a whole 75 quid more, and shows up right under it as a suggested alternative:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OWON-SDS1102-2-C-Digital-Desktop-Oscilloscopes-h-1GS-s-100MHZ-Bandwidth-X6H6/283850814184    :palm:

mnem
Man-yoo-fuck-churr-errz warr-annn-teee...? Wee donn' neeed no steeekeeeng warr-annn-teee!!!

Other things to consider are (assuming I wanted a mouldy TDS210) local collection, which would be very local for me, 25 miles or less each way, versus shipping from West Coast US, with all the risks and concealed costs that implies.
Don't forget as well that our Dave never has anything good to say about Owon, its a wah wahh.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82631 on: February 16, 2021, 02:25:14 am »
Kosmic's first-hand opinion of the Owon/Lilliput XDS3202E (admittedly, much higher on the foodchain than the SDS1102) he bought from Arrow is much different. I still kick myself for letting that one get away. :palm:

I still would rather have the SDS1102. Or even my 54645A.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82632 on: February 16, 2021, 02:38:24 am »
Got some IV antibiotics at hospital yesterday - then they sent me home with the next dose ... and a pre-fitted cannula. Had a visit from a "Hospital In The Home" service today who did the second dose and will be doing the course of treatment.

So I am home - and still waiting for the pain to ease.  Can't concentrate and I'm getting really frustrated.

As a bonus, I'm sure my NanoVNA and TinySA will circle the equator for a couple more weeks.  It left Hong Kong on the 30th January and no word since.

Yo, Bean!!  Whatya got for me?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82633 on: February 16, 2021, 02:41:38 am »
.... and I don't trust myself with a soldering iron at the moment.     :(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #82634 on: February 16, 2021, 02:44:03 am »
Nil in Oz that is worth a dabble :-\ 

Thieves R Us listed this at about 3-4 times a sensible price today eBay auction: #224353747552

If you are bored and want to take a peek at SDR this is the compromise I got a year back  >:D https://www.nooelec.com/store/sdr/sdr-receivers/nesdr-smartee-xtr.html
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82635 on: February 16, 2021, 02:50:15 am »
     https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/home/

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

For those who are unaware: Curiosity, which has been operating on Mars since 2012, has a baby brother (Perseverance) aboot to come join him in a couple days. Same core design, tougher wheels, bigger drills to take core samples and save a sample cache.

Here's a interactive simulation of the upcoming landing: https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/mars2020/#/home

And it will be carrying a passenger; a little copter to perform proof-of-concept rotary-wing flight experiments in the ultra-thin martian atmosphere: https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 02:53:20 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Mortymore, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82636 on: February 16, 2021, 03:08:32 am »
Yes, I was aware of Perseverence.  Landing will be around 8am local time here and, with nothing better to do   ( >:( )  will see if I can get my carcass in front of a screen.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82637 on: February 16, 2021, 04:50:55 am »
Not my thing but kind of cool and very complete with the HV probes and manual.  8) eBay auction: #164704453595

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82638 on: February 16, 2021, 05:28:24 am »
Can't say I'm attracted to it.

30kV isn't something I'd be into outside a CRT EHT.

But, then, I did get this.... 

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82639 on: February 16, 2021, 05:54:50 am »
Can't say I'm attracted to it.

30kV isn't something I'd be into outside a CRT EHT.

But, then, I did get this.... 

There is this in your part of the world eBay auction: #114678223520 seems to be set to external reference might be why the front display is wrong.  enable enable >:D

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #82640 on: February 16, 2021, 06:05:08 am »

I watched another today, he is using word generators to sequence beats, all kinds of function generators with VCG/VCA inputs & pulse generators for making the sounds (some vintage tube based Tek ones in his setup too). The boat anchor grade Brüel & Kjær filters seem very popular again too, also has some NIM BIN racks too.

David

As I thought of this -- using TE for music -- it occurred to me that this really is full circle. It is a piece of the -hp- lore most treasured, that one of the first large customers to get products out of the garage was Disney, buying oscillators for effects in Fantasia.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82641 on: February 16, 2021, 07:52:37 am »
...I got a HP 8568B off him for £120  ;D   That was about 5 years ago, collection only from Yorkshire. Fortunately SWMBO wanted to go to Holmfirth to buy some fabric, so I said OK, I'm just going for a drive while you are doing that  ;)

Was it as skanky as that TDS210...?  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

No it was very nice and clean with a bright, sharp CRT. I still have it. It was listed as two items. He knows nothing about TE. I think he's getting stuff through his work.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82642 on: February 16, 2021, 08:36:27 am »
There is this in your part of the world eBay auction: #114678223520 seems to be set to external reference might be why the front display is wrong.  enable enable >:D

Hmmm...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82643 on: February 16, 2021, 08:40:21 am »
As a bonus, I'm sure my NanoVNA and TinySA will circle the equator for a couple more weeks.  It left Hong Kong on the 30th January and no word since.

UPDATE.

My package is in country!!

... only a half hour drive away - but it could still take a week to find its way............
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:45:54 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82644 on: February 16, 2021, 09:35:11 am »
Heads up: I think Mouser USA in Texas is currently shut down due to the ice storms and power outages. I ordered the capacitors for the 3456A on Saturday. I would have expected it to ship yesterday (Monday). Nothing.  :o Crickets. That is not typical at all.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82645 on: February 16, 2021, 10:02:31 am »
In Australia, an ice storm means the top has blown off the shaved ice machine.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82646 on: February 16, 2021, 10:10:24 am »
Today’s junk delivery. Core memory. Also got that voltmeter. Will do some photos later. Need to do some work.

There appear to actually be 8 (!) layers.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, factory

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82647 on: February 16, 2021, 10:18:34 am »
I keep resisting buying a panel of Russian Core memory. First computer I programmed still had Drum memory..... Feeling old  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82648 on: February 16, 2021, 10:24:02 am »
Yes, I should be on Discord Saturday. When I reminded her that Sunday was Valentine's Day I got a completely unexpected response. She said "That's OK, everyday is Valentine's Day when I'm with you".  :o  Ever see a smurf blush?  :P :P :-DD
So is poor Larry is in for a molesting instead ?  :P

Won't make Discord (Sunday 9am in NZ) as it's a last minute mad panic to get ready for 3 days at EMEX showing off our wares to the unsuspecting public.  :-DD
A sea of Siglents maybe a dozen I haven't quite decided however it will all come together on setup Sunday.

Will drop a pic of it all here when I get a chance.

Gunna do like menm....off to ded.  :=\
Well what a right proper fuckup !
Loaded the wagon last evening all ready for a gentlemanly getaway ~9am to set up our stand for the 3 day Auckland EMEX show and buddy hendorog even dropped what he was doing to help the cook and I setup the stand with a dozen instruments and it all looked pretty mint and ready for tomorrows opening. Home by 2pm and some relaxing watching the Pommie yachties get beaten twice again by the Italians. 4 nil !  :-DD

Life's good and then all hell breaks loose at 7pm when a 72hr Level 3 lockdown is announced for midnight ! FFS !  :wtf: 
EMEX cancelled again....3 times in under a year ! :rant:

Just past 8pm we get mail from the organizer allowing us until 10.30 pm to collect our display instruments and by 8.30 we had the skates on for the 35min drive to collect our gear and we were all packed and totally outta there by 10.15pm with our complete display, instruments, benches, posters, cabling, brochures and everything else. :phew:

So instead of 3 days on our feet flogging our wares to the unsuspecting public I'll be home on the PC annoying you buggers !  :-DD

Whatta letdown.  >:(
Think I'll drown my sorrows.  :popcorn:

Well that sucks. But unfortunately it seems to be the new reality.  |O
Today it went from bad to worse.
2019 we coughed up for EMEX May 2020....postponed to October 2020....then to Feb 15-17 2021 ....lockdown the night before and today FFS a new date arrives of May 2022 FFS !  :wtf:

3 furking years since we paid for an exhibition site !  |O
Has the world gone nuts......  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #82649 on: February 16, 2021, 10:36:40 am »
Got a box delivered (ordered yesterday in the afternoon, that was pretty fast).
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf