Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17852376 times)

BFX and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82600 on: February 15, 2021, 07:06:52 pm »
This un? Nope, just crustification.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82601 on: February 15, 2021, 07:07:55 pm »
I didn't even see that one  :-DD

Time to get my eyes tested  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82602 on: February 15, 2021, 07:16:23 pm »
Not the tant... the little one in the foreground looks crusty/cracked. Yup-that one. :-+

If you are interested in tinkering (electronics and more), one can find here quite a lot of inspiration.   ;D   >:D

Example:

Please note his rancid soldering iron and his soldering skills ...  :palm:
Was that a Metcal as well?!?

I have a T12-B which appears identical; here it is in my $9 FX-9501 handle. I don't use it that often, aside from XT-60s and drag-soldering things like this TSSOP-8 ROM chip where the large thermal mass is required for short dwell time at low-ish temps. Otherwise, it would probably be just as crusty as his. I use flux religiously and wipe the tip before every contact; I care aboot a clean solder joint, not a pretty iron. :-//

mnem
*tsssst*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82603 on: February 15, 2021, 07:21:50 pm »
...Also fuck batteries. Bastard all of them!

Shutcher dirty, dirty mouth!  Some of my best TEAcquisitions have been the result of battery fuckerization!  >:D

mnem
also: job security, mutherfucker!  :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82604 on: February 15, 2021, 07:22:13 pm »
Talking getting your eyes tested, spec savers have been reminding me now for about 9 months that I'm overdue for another test  :palm: I really must go and tested again.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82605 on: February 15, 2021, 07:23:28 pm »
...Also fuck batteries. Bastard all of them!

Shutcher dirty, dirty mouth!  Some of my best TEAcquisitions have been the result of battery fuckerization!  >:D

mnem
also: job security, mutherfucker!  :-DD
Haha, all the same I agree with bd, there are bastards  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82606 on: February 15, 2021, 07:27:30 pm »
Leaky batteries are like Republicans... evil & messy as fuck, but there's profit to be made as long as you don't git any on ya.  >:D

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #82607 on: February 15, 2021, 07:48:05 pm »
cumon, I have rarely seen someone as corrupt as Pelosi.

Let us not venture there lest the atmosphere becomes poisonous and fiery hail starts falling from the sky.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, scl, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #82608 on: February 15, 2021, 07:55:23 pm »
in other news, the graphics card works.
It's currently blissfully burning electricity to support the banksters my hubby and heating the flat (heating in my home office room is not really working)

As for the appliances bit: the idea is to have a mostly autonomous gizmo which can be reprogrammed on the fly (e.g. by shoving in a new SD card), has video processing in hardware (makes it easier for autonomous recognition and target aquisition and provides the data via a REST api that can easily be queried or interfaced into other systems. yes, you can do all of that in software, but FPGAs are far more elegant for what I have in mind.

Let's see. If that does not work out: boss came along and told me to
- get my system officially 24/7 ready
(I am sorry Dave, but I cannot do that. Going out and having all those managed services providers lined up against a wall is considered illegal where I come from)
- plan for lotsa integration work

oh well. I am sure that there is more than enough to do ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82609 on: February 15, 2021, 08:11:10 pm »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82610 on: February 15, 2021, 08:12:01 pm »
Oooh got to get me some of these mangled probes

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82611 on: February 15, 2021, 08:28:07 pm »
Easy enough to make your own mangled probes  :-DD WTF are people thinking, those probes will no doubt, like that manky TDs210, not sell, serve them right  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82612 on: February 15, 2021, 09:16:58 pm »
What is it with skanky mouldy 'scopes on ebay at the moment?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-210-60-MHz-1-GS-s-Digital-Real-Time-2-channel-Oscilloscope/133659935467
 :-BROKE

That guy almost always over-values his gear. I never even bothered to save him as a seller, and I have really low standards!

It lives!

Also checked the other functions, works really well, don't even think I'll need to clean the board properly.

One interesting wrinkle is the rotary switch MUST be in the AC A position if you've had it apart, as it apparently has no position sense, and defaults to that on power-up regardless of the actual switch position. Weird!
After that it remembers the position just fine on power cycles and even battery removal.

I might try and leave the batteries out for a bit longer, see if that makes it reset...

Anyhoo it works fine on the 2 Turnigy LSD Ni-MH I put in it, no leakalines for this!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: psykok, Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82613 on: February 15, 2021, 09:35:25 pm »
What is it with skanky mouldy 'scopes on ebay at the moment?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-210-60-MHz-1-GS-s-Digital-Real-Time-2-channel-Oscilloscope/133659935467 :-BROKE

Meanwhile, this NIB SDS1102 is a whole 75 quid more, and shows up right under it as a suggested alternative:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OWON-SDS1102-2-C-Digital-Desktop-Oscilloscopes-h-1GS-s-100MHZ-Bandwidth-X6H6/283850814184    :palm:

mnem
Man-yoo-fuck-churr-errz warr-annn-teee...? Wee donn' neeed no steeekeeeng warr-annn-teee!!!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82614 on: February 15, 2021, 09:37:40 pm »
cumon, I have rarely seen someone as corrupt as Pelosi.   Let us not venture there lest the atmosphere becomes poisonous and fiery hail starts falling from the sky.

Ehhhh... it was too quiet in here. I felt a need to agitate a little.  ;)

mnem
just a little; I promise. >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82615 on: February 15, 2021, 09:42:27 pm »
Easy enough to make your own mangled probes  :-DD WTF are people thinking, those probes will no doubt, like that manky TDs210, not sell, serve them right  :-DD

I think Saskia wants some Mangled Service Providers. And I have very little doubt she'd rather do it herself.  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82616 on: February 15, 2021, 10:16:09 pm »
What is it with skanky mouldy 'scopes on ebay at the moment?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-210-60-MHz-1-GS-s-Digital-Real-Time-2-channel-Oscilloscope/133659935467
 :-BROKE

That guy almost always over-values his gear. I never even bothered to save him as a seller, and I have really low standards!

<SNIP>

I got a HP 8568B off him for £120  ;D
That was about 5 years ago, collection only from Yorkshire. Fortunatly SWMBO wanted to go to Holmfirth to buy some fabric, so I said OK, I'm just going for a drive while you are doing that  ;)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82617 on: February 15, 2021, 10:18:41 pm »
What is it with skanky mouldy 'scopes on ebay at the moment?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS-210-60-MHz-1-GS-s-Digital-Real-Time-2-channel-Oscilloscope/133659935467 :-BROKE

Meanwhile, this NIB SDS1102 is a whole 75 quid more, and shows up right under it as a suggested alternative:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OWON-SDS1102-2-C-Digital-Desktop-Oscilloscopes-h-1GS-s-100MHZ-Bandwidth-X6H6/283850814184    :palm:

mnem
Man-yoo-fuck-churr-errz warr-annn-teee...? Wee donn' neeed no steeekeeeng warr-annn-teee!!!

Other things to consider are (assuming I wanted a mouldy TDS210) local collection, which would be very local for me, 25 miles or less each way, versus shipping from West Coast US, with all the risks and concealed costs that implies.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82618 on: February 15, 2021, 10:19:43 pm »
...I got a HP 8568B off him for £120  ;D   That was about 5 years ago, collection only from Yorkshire. Fortunately SWMBO wanted to go to Holmfirth to buy some fabric, so I said OK, I'm just going for a drive while you are doing that  ;)

Was it as skanky as that TDS210...?  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82619 on: February 15, 2021, 10:22:51 pm »
cumon, I have rarely seen someone as corrupt as Pelosi.   Let us not venture there lest the atmosphere becomes poisonous and fiery hail starts falling from the sky.

Ehhhh... it was too quiet in here. I felt a need to agitate a little.  ;)

mnem
just a little; I promise. >:D

I like quiet.  :=\
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82620 on: February 15, 2021, 10:23:20 pm »
I did say almost always...

@mnem usually his stuff is clean, just overpriced.

Maybe I should add him back, for the one prospective diamond in his barn full of turnips.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82621 on: February 15, 2021, 10:33:27 pm »
Spotting the Gossen reminded me that I hadn't trawled eBay for any Gossen stuff for a while, so I did. Turned up this oddity (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Siemens-Multimeter-A-D-GOSSEN-UVA-D-Multimeter/383889451073?hash=item5961982841:g:8UMAAOSwcbpf9GFv). I don't think I've ever seen this done before.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, AVGresponding

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82622 on: February 15, 2021, 10:35:28 pm »

No wonder the price of TEA is getting higher on ebay  :-DD

At least he is using them and not trying to make guitar amps or lamps out of them.

There seems to be a few people using old TEA for creating music & weird sounds, I linked another of that guys videos last year where he visited a studio full of old TEA (quite a lot of it was HP).
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3336322/#msg3336322

It was a search for info on a lock-in amplifier selective amplifier that found that.
I guess stuff we don't have much use for is very useful to them.

David

Interesting. I think I missed your post back in november.

Actually I got that wrong earlier, it's not the lock-in amplifier I have but the 189 selective amplifier, he is using several of those as band-pass filters.
I watched another today, he is using word generators to sequence beats, all kinds of function generators with VCG/VCA inputs & pulse generators for making the sounds (some vintage tube based Tek ones in his setup too). The boat anchor grade Brüel & Kjær filters seem very popular again too, also has some NIM BIN racks too.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82623 on: February 15, 2021, 10:37:40 pm »
Spotting the Gossen reminded me that I hadn't trawled eBay for any Gossen stuff for a while, so I did. Turned up this oddity (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Siemens-Multimeter-A-D-GOSSEN-UVA-D-Multimeter/383889451073?hash=item5961982841:g:8UMAAOSwcbpf9GFv). I don't think I've ever seen this done before.

After someone posted about one of those here before I bought a pair of them, trouble is neither work & no service information is available as far as I can tell.

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82624 on: February 15, 2021, 10:40:03 pm »

After someone posted about one of those here before I bought a pair of them, trouble is neither work & no service information is available as far as I can tell.

David

It appears by the symbols that it can measure ACV and DCV but where is the AC/DC switch?  :-//

Edit....nevermind...found it. left most switch on the bottom right.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:41:48 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf