Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17852375 times)

BFX and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82575 on: February 15, 2021, 02:55:04 pm »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82576 on: February 15, 2021, 03:14:40 pm »
The Great American Race became the Great American Demolition Derby.  :palm:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #82577 on: February 15, 2021, 03:36:53 pm »
Here's 10MHz Square wave from Heath IG-4244 Scope Calibrator. Excellent response.  :-+ It's now on the torture rack for extensive burn-in.

Bugger that! Use the 485's calout with a 50ohm load. 1ns or bust should be your motto :)

OK, to spoil our remote enjoyment, you won't get quite that with a scope probe and 1Mohm.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82578 on: February 15, 2021, 03:59:30 pm »
Here's 10MHz Square wave from Heath IG-4244 Scope Calibrator. Excellent response.  :-+ It's now on the torture rack for extensive burn-in.

Bugger that! Use the 485's calout with a 50ohm load. 1ns or bust should be your motto :)

OK, to spoil our remote enjoyment, you won't get quite that with a scope probe and 1Mohm.

Go back to look closely. Channel 1 is set to 50 ohm.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82579 on: February 15, 2021, 04:00:53 pm »

How can you fuck up going around in a circle?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82580 on: February 15, 2021, 04:07:38 pm »

That's not a short track. 2.5 mile super speedway. Nearly 200 MPH, drafting, close up racing. One little bump and all hell breaks loose. 

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #82581 on: February 15, 2021, 04:13:47 pm »

Go back to look closely. Channel 1 is set to 50 ohm.

That doesn't alter the points, and is irrelevant to your 1Mohm input attenuator being fiddly to adjust.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82582 on: February 15, 2021, 04:27:57 pm »
If you are interested in tinkering (electronics and more), one can find here quite a lot of inspiration.   ;D   >:D

Example:

Please note his rancid soldering iron and his soldering skills ...  :palm:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82583 on: February 15, 2021, 04:35:12 pm »
The beast is already sitting in the workshop

I have opened a dedicated topic:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-760a-meter-calibrator-repair/msg3466132/#msg3466132

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, factory, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82584 on: February 15, 2021, 04:38:21 pm »
If you are interested in tinkering (electronics and more), one can find here quite a lot of inspiration.   ;D   >:D

Example:

Was that a Metcal as well?!?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82585 on: February 15, 2021, 04:42:20 pm »
Didn’t know that! Very handy. I know you can annotate screenshots with the iPad/pencil - that’s super handy.

Just won some TE  :-+. Back on the wagon  :-DD.

So it’s a Racal 9917 counter. This is the same as the old 9915’s I had but doesn’t have the notoriously incendiary battery option. Also it comes with option 04A which is a 9442 crystal oven   :-+

Good to see your back to acquiring TEA, that looks a nice one, I meant to bid on another older Racal yesterday, but I was to busy sorting out paperwork & crap & forgot about it. The worst thing was I found an unopened letter from last year where I should have stayed off work in July with the shielding.  :palm:
Had quite a bad headache after dealing with all that, now I've got another as the exhaust has fell off* my van (I wondered why it sounded better last week when I went the docs).

*OK I took it off as it wasn't attached at all, completely failed around a weld, can't blame Citroen for this one, I think I've found the problem (circled). It's 3 years overdue a timing belt change & the MOT service is due in March so it's going to eat into this & next months TEA budget.  :(

David

Have to laugh at the made in England thing. Yes that's probably exactly it  :-DD

On Racal things, I'm only going for 1970s and later LED based stuff so I'm not going to be treading on the nixie freaks. Perhaps if a half decent Heathkit IB-1100 turns up I may go for that but that's about it. Only because I have the entire functional structure of one of them embedded in my mind.

Dead simple and quite nice counters!

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82586 on: February 15, 2021, 04:51:41 pm »

That's not a short track. 2.5 mile super speedway. Nearly 200 MPH, drafting, close up racing. One little bump and all hell breaks loose.

Let's face it, people only watch NASCAR for the crashes. Round and round and round on a banked oval for 500 miles, no real braking, no real corners, no real accelerating. If you can watch it and get excited even a little bit you should never, ever, watch cricket, you might have a heart attack from overstimulation!

Daytona:

Le Mans:

Both ~200 mph circuits, Le Mans 8.5 miles with 38 turns, Daytona 2.5 miles with, well no turns really. NASCAR 500 mile race, Le Mans 3000 miles plus. Frankly they're both rather boring, but at least Le Mans actually tests the car's endurance and the driver's skill.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, wolfy007, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82587 on: February 15, 2021, 04:57:50 pm »
Exactly. I used to play the PC game "indy 500" many years ago and the most exciting bit about the game was hammering it round up to top whack then driving into the wall at the end of the pit lane. It made a satisfying death sound out of my sound blaster.

You can experience the glory here: https://www.retrogames.cz/play_646-DOS.php?language=EN

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82588 on: February 15, 2021, 04:58:20 pm »

Example:

Was that a Metcal as well?!?

No.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82589 on: February 15, 2021, 05:14:50 pm »
@Brumby, Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun, get well soon and the fuck out of hospital and get back to your awaiting new toys which hopefully will be there for you.

In the meantime, you can always fantasize about some lovely nurses looking after you. >:D

Agreed....get better quick. I've never heard of that condition before. I had to look it up. Sounds painful.  :scared:

Sooner or later you will probably get it. All it takes is a miniscule prick with the wrong bacteria there. I had it from a near invisible thorn, and after an operation on my knee. I knew what was happening, so had it treated pronto.

One nasty is that if you have had it once, apparently you are more prone to having it in the future. Luckily I haven't.

Anyway, best wishes brumby.

Have a closer look at his legs:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2882870/#msg2882870

Uhhh.... yeah; I'm not a good example, as that's the result of decades of just "bulling through the pain" and not taking care of myself at all. A lot of scarring on one foot/leg due to a chemical burn incident in my 30s, compounded by congenital blood circulation issues (grand-dad had similar problems from middle-age onwards) resulting in stasis dermatitis and now pre-diabetic edema due to morbid obesity.

It's hard getting back on the horse when every step hurts, and even standing still brings its own, different kind of pain. Not an excuse, but it is the reason. :palm:

That said... get well soon, my friend.

mnem
*sigh*

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:28:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82590 on: February 15, 2021, 05:18:34 pm »
One for Zucca and Med ...

Oh dear; That's as bad as going to war without the French...  >:D

mnem
*punt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82591 on: February 15, 2021, 05:21:15 pm »
Exactly. I used to play the PC game "indy 500" many years ago and the most exciting bit about the game was hammering it round up to top whack then driving into the wall at the end of the pit lane. It made a satisfying death sound out of my sound blaster.

You can experience the glory here: https://www.retrogames.cz/play_646-DOS.php?language=EN

For any Brit who wants to get a feel for the ferocity of the curves at Daytona, take a trip south of the Dartford Crossing on the M25.  :-DD

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:24:07 pm by Cerebus »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82592 on: February 15, 2021, 05:25:31 pm »
Also worth trying: Hitting the ring road around Bluewater and trying to maintain 50mph in a front wheel drive Citroen  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82593 on: February 15, 2021, 05:26:52 pm »
Saskia -

https://www.amazon.ca/NVIDIA-Jetson-Developer-Computer-Development/dp/B07SHF9V4J/ref=pd_lutyp_rtpb_1_6/140-9024410-5026447

I stumbled across this while looking for Ardu sensors, and the advert seems to make it out as a pretty capable, if very small scale, AI dev platform supporting a lot of the stuff you were talking aboot in your project. Is there any portion of what you're doing that could be broken down into small enough chunks that it could do anything for you?

My thought was perhaps, since it's directly compatible with a lot of the core AI processing, something like a smarter user-end interface that preprocesses the user's requests into something the heavy iron could resolve quicker, thereby making for lower bandwidth needs for the same result...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Hi Mnem,

tbh I also looked into that and cannot really use it. For training purposes it is far too small (I currently have 4 Tesla P100 with 16 GB each), for deployment a multi Core CPU is currently sufficient for what we are doing. The UI is small enough to actually fit in your browser, and our front end web servers are certainly powerful enough do deal with all that traffic thrown at them.

For small scale deployment of appliances I am looking into the Ultra96 board
https://de.farnell.com/avnet/aes-ultra96-v2-g/sbc-arm-cortex-a53-cortex-r5/dp/3050481?st=zynq%20ultrascale

as it runs with the Vitis environment and does pack remarkable oompf for the bucks.

Okay, so you are thinking in terms of appliances already then; the Jetson platform just isn't powerful enough. Gotcha. :-+ Is that for use as a preprocessor on the client's local network, or for more generic Kiosk-type UI...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82594 on: February 15, 2021, 05:41:44 pm »

Example:

I think we just found the "stupid ages" predecessor of the Probulator... :o

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82595 on: February 15, 2021, 06:00:42 pm »

Ayup. That and this is the whole fukkin' race. Time to get lunch and a toddy fer muh body. :P

mnem
*vroooom*

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82596 on: February 15, 2021, 06:11:28 pm »
Didn’t know that! Very handy. I know you can annotate screenshots with the iPad/pencil - that’s super handy.

Just won some TE  :-+. Back on the wagon  :-DD.

So it’s a Racal 9917 counter. This is the same as the old 9915’s I had but doesn’t have the notoriously incendiary battery option. Also it comes with option 04A which is a 9442 crystal oven   :-+

Good to see your back to acquiring TEA, that looks a nice one, I meant to bid on another older Racal yesterday, but I was to busy sorting out paperwork & crap & forgot about it. The worst thing was I found an unopened letter from last year where I should have stayed off work in July with the shielding.  :palm:
Had quite a bad headache after dealing with all that, now I've got another as the exhaust has fell off* my van (I wondered why it sounded better last week when I went the docs).

*OK I took it off as it wasn't attached at all, completely failed around a weld, can't blame Citroen for this one, I think I've found the problem (circled). It's 3 years overdue a timing belt change & the MOT service is due in March so it's going to eat into this & next months TEA budget.  :(

David

One these will fix it
https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/easy-fit-bandage/
NOT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #82597 on: February 15, 2021, 06:16:45 pm »
The Gossen Metrahit arrived from CDL today and I had to put it straight into emergency surgery, after a quick test to confirm it does work as claimed.

You can see how bad it is here; that's inside the case...

The battery compartment contains the smoking gun:

It's quite a buildup:

I've scrubbed it all under the tap with an old toothbrush, it's currently undergoing a slow blow dry. Time for some food, as I've just got home from work.

I will add updated pics later.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, FransW, factory, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82598 on: February 15, 2021, 06:21:59 pm »
The Gossen Metrahit arrived from CDL today and I had to put it straight into emergency surgery, after a quick test to confirm it does work as claimed.

You can see how bad it is here; that's inside the case...      The battery compartment contains the smoking gun:      It's quite a buildup:   

I've scrubbed it all under the tap with an old toothbrush, it's currently undergoing a slow blow dry. Time for some food, as I've just got home from work. I will add updated pics later.

Izzat a fractured cap I see between the battery contacts in the foreground...?

mnem
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 06:25:54 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82599 on: February 15, 2021, 06:52:16 pm »
Yellow tant? Looks ok. The solder fillet isn’t good but there’s usually a rectangular loop on the end of the big ones which is what the hole is by the looks.

Also fuck batteries. Bastard all of them!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf