Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18199818 times)

Vince, bsdphk, ch_scr and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82550 on: February 15, 2021, 02:36:52 am »
Just great.

Been sat on my backside for the last week and a half with cellulitis.  By crikey it's painful.  Doctor hasn't been able to get on top of it - so now I'm off to hospital.  Bloody brilliant.   :rant:

Just watch..... My NanoVNA and TinySA are going to show up now - and I won't be able to play with them.  I can feel Murphy rubbing his hands together already....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #82551 on: February 15, 2021, 02:46:29 am »
Just great.

Been sat on my backside for the last week and a half with cellulitis.  By crikey it's painful.  Doctor hasn't been able to get on top of it - so now I'm off to hospital.  Bloody brilliant.   :rant:

Just watch..... My NanoVNA and TinySA are going to show up now - and I won't be able to play with them.  I can feel Murphy rubbing his hands together already....

Perfect place to analyze some electronics and signals. Add a Laptop and a cheap SDR and play  :-+ Other than that get out quick to many sick people in Hospitals  :)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82552 on: February 15, 2021, 02:47:33 am »
GWS, Bean will miss not being able to tempt you with TEA morsels.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82553 on: February 15, 2021, 02:57:45 am »
Just great.

Get well!

The following users thanked this post: Brumby

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #82554 on: February 15, 2021, 03:04:04 am »
Perfect place to analyze some electronics and signals. Add a Laptop and a cheap SDR and play  :-+
Sounds like fun.  No SDR, though.

Been waiting on Dave to do a video on some of them ... which I believe he mentioned an interest in doing so some time ago.

Other than that get out quick to many sick people in Hospitals  :)
Yeah.  Not my favourite crowd.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #82555 on: February 15, 2021, 07:48:45 am »
get well soon.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82556 on: February 15, 2021, 08:24:17 am »
@Brumby

Get well soon and take care.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82557 on: February 15, 2021, 09:13:08 am »
Saskia -

https://www.amazon.ca/NVIDIA-Jetson-Developer-Computer-Development/dp/B07SHF9V4J/ref=pd_lutyp_rtpb_1_6/140-9024410-5026447

I stumbled across this while looking for Ardu sensors, and the advert seems to make it out as a pretty capable, if very small scale, AI dev platform supporting a lot of the stuff you were talking aboot in your project. Is there any portion of what you're doing that could be broken down into small enough chunks that it could do anything for you?

My thought was perhaps, since it's directly compatible with a lot of the core AI processing, something like a smarter user-end interface that preprocesses the user's requests into something the heavy iron could resolve quicker, thereby making for lower bandwidth needs for the same result...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Hi Mnem,

tbh I also looked into that and cannot really use it. For training purposes it is far too small (I currently have 4 Tesla P100 with 16 GB each), for deployment a multi Core CPU is currently sufficient for what we are doing. The UI is small enough to actually fit in your browser, and our front end web servers are certainly powerful enough do deal with all that traffic thrown at them.

For small scale deployment of appliances I am looking into the Ultra96 board
https://de.farnell.com/avnet/aes-ultra96-v2-g/sbc-arm-cortex-a53-cortex-r5/dp/3050481?st=zynq%20ultrascale

as it runs with the Vitis environment and does pack remarkable oompf for the bucks.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82558 on: February 15, 2021, 09:28:25 am »
@Brumby, Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun, get well soon and the fuck out of hospital and get back to your awaiting new toys which hopefully will be there for you.

In the meantime, you can always fantasize about some lovely nurses looking after you. >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82559 on: February 15, 2021, 09:55:54 am »
@Brumby, Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun, get well soon and the fuck out of hospital and get back to your awaiting new toys which hopefully will be there for you.

In the meantime, you can always fantasize about some lovely nurses looking after you. >:D

Agreed....get better quick. I've never heard of that condition before. I had to look it up. Sounds painful.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #82560 on: February 15, 2021, 10:18:11 am »

Agreed....get better quick. I've never heard of that condition before. I had to look it up. Sounds painful.  :scared:

Sooner or later you will probably get it. All it takes is a miniscule prick with the wrong bacteria there. I had it from a near invisible thorn, and after an operation on my knee. I knew what was happening, so had it treated pronto.

One nasty is that if you have had it once, apparently you are more prone to having it in the future. Luckily I haven't.

Anyway, best wishes brumby.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82561 on: February 15, 2021, 10:29:38 am »

Sooner or later you will probably get it. All it takes is a miniscule prick with the wrong bacteria there. I had it from a near invisible thorn, and after an operation on my knee. I knew what was happening, so had it treated pronto.

One nasty is that if you have had it once, apparently you are more prone to having it in the future. Luckily I haven't.

Have a closer look at his legs:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2882870/#msg2882870
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82562 on: February 15, 2021, 10:35:56 am »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2882870/#msg2882870

If you insist on reviving bad memories I will post up my fan bodge again.   :o

You have been warned.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82563 on: February 15, 2021, 10:39:00 am »
That really wasn't my intention.  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82564 on: February 15, 2021, 11:12:44 am »
One for Zucca and Med ...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, cyclin_al

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #82565 on: February 15, 2021, 11:15:44 am »

If you insist on reviving bad memories I will post up my fan bodge again.   :o

You have been warned.  :-DD

Its a close run thing as to what is more  :o :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82566 on: February 15, 2021, 11:55:27 am »

No wonder the price of TEA is getting higher on ebay  :-DD

At least he is using them and not trying to make guitar amps or lamps out of them.

There seems to be a few people using old TEA for creating music & weird sounds, I linked another of that guys videos last year where he visited a studio full of old TEA (quite a lot of it was HP).
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3336322/#msg3336322

It was a search for info on a lock-in amplifier that found that.
I guess stuff we don't have much use for is very useful to them.

David

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82567 on: February 15, 2021, 12:16:03 pm »
Didn’t know that! Very handy. I know you can annotate screenshots with the iPad/pencil - that’s super handy.

Just won some TE  :-+. Back on the wagon  :-DD.

So it’s a Racal 9917 counter. This is the same as the old 9915’s I had but doesn’t have the notoriously incendiary battery option. Also it comes with option 04A which is a 9442 crystal oven   :-+

Good to see your back to acquiring TEA, that looks a nice one, I meant to bid on another older Racal yesterday, but I was to busy sorting out paperwork & crap & forgot about it. The worst thing was I found an unopened letter from last year where I should have stayed off work in July with the shielding.  :palm:
Had quite a bad headache after dealing with all that, now I've got another as the exhaust has fell off* my van (I wondered why it sounded better last week when I went the docs).

*OK I took it off as it wasn't attached at all, completely failed around a weld, can't blame Citroen for this one, I think I've found the problem (circled). It's 3 years overdue a timing belt change & the MOT service is due in March so it's going to eat into this & next months TEA budget.  :(

David

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82568 on: February 15, 2021, 12:33:01 pm »
Before all that I did managed to test the oven control boards from both the 5243L & parts mule 5245L, I've found it was better to test & repair with most of the wires disconnected as they kept breaking off.
I managed to stall out the temperature sensor oscillator in the 5243L again, by leaving it on the floor to cool down overnight before it's test (got to 11°C).

I'll put some results up on the 5245L thread later.

David

P.S. Did anyone managed to buy the 5243L in Germany last night? It made €135.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:38:13 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82569 on: February 15, 2021, 01:38:05 pm »
Action went crazy last night in germany.

Today I got a small something delivered.
When your new equipment is delivered on a pallet , you know for sure that you made a mistake

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #82570 on: February 15, 2021, 01:56:32 pm »
When your new equipment is delivered on a pallet , you know for sure that you made a mistake are on the path to proper enheavyment.

Fixed that for you.

Yes, I have a pallet truck. Necessary item.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82571 on: February 15, 2021, 02:05:00 pm »
When your new equipment is delivered on a pallet , you know for sure that you made a mistake are on the path to proper enheavyment.

Fixed that for you.

Yes, I have a pallet truck. Necessary item.

People are always  looking at me in a strange way when I explain that I have a palet truck at home.
Honestly this thing is so handy, I will never give it back and specially  because I have a short one usable in my workshop.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82572 on: February 15, 2021, 02:18:07 pm »

No wonder the price of TEA is getting higher on ebay  :-DD

At least he is using them and not trying to make guitar amps or lamps out of them.

There seems to be a few people using old TEA for creating music & weird sounds, I linked another of that guys videos last year where he visited a studio full of old TEA (quite a lot of it was HP).
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3336322/#msg3336322

It was a search for info on a lock-in amplifier that found that.
I guess stuff we don't have much use for is very useful to them.

David

Interesting. I think I missed your post back in november.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82573 on: February 15, 2021, 02:23:45 pm »
In other news, my not so very much OTT OTT graphics card arrived. Lousy 350W TDP instead of the 450W of that EVGA beast. but TBH I don't need that additional overclock.

Checked the box, all original seals and labels are intact.

So there is hope. Let's hope it's not DOA. On a side note, it's got 5 years warranty. Which is what I like most about Zotac. (EVGA would have been ok too, they offer a maximum of 10 years (7 years you have to buy on top if you are the first purchaser and register it in your name).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82574 on: February 15, 2021, 02:54:31 pm »
If you had asked me a week ago my response would have been "unlikely" but here it is. Larry fully functional.  :-+ All the operating parameters fell into place easily except the 1MEG compensation. 485's are real fiddly when it comes to 1MEG compensation and I ran into the same issue with Moe. Much interaction between ranges that the manual does NOT warn you about. So it's back and forth and best compromise until everything falls into place. And it finally did.

Here's 10MHz Square wave from Heath IG-4244 Scope Calibrator. Excellent response.  :-+ It's now on the torture rack for extensive burn-in.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, FransW, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf