Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17490106 times)

duckduck and 97 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82325 on: February 12, 2021, 09:17:39 pm »
No amount of TE is worth a single life

Now, let's not start saying silly things. Remember where you are.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82326 on: February 12, 2021, 09:19:06 pm »
Bastard... as grim as that exchange was, you still made me snerk...  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #82327 on: February 12, 2021, 09:19:37 pm »
you seem to be describing our secretary of health. Him being a bankster trainee who just bought some villa for 4 mill euros (how can you afford that kind of stuff even from a health secretary's salary ???

Makes you wonder where he left his pockets to be stuffed.

We have career bureaucrats with their very own agenda who have proven that they think of their bottom line first, and that needs to stop.

I am very much in favor of a society formed after what Heinlein described in his Starship Troopers (the novel, not the bloody movie).
To get into office you must put your ass on the line and risk paying with your life to serve the people. Only then do you get your right to vote and to get voted into office. Sounds fine to me.

I agree up until the Starship Troopers bit. That was a pretty terrible military dystopia. I’m not sure it’s worse than our current shit show but it’s not where I want society to be. Other than the assholes being eaten by bugs bit  :-DD
The movie: I agree. The book: I don't agree. But we do not have to agree on everything.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82328 on: February 12, 2021, 09:20:13 pm »
@BD139
The thing is we were not talking about someones work, we were taking about driving 100+ miles to pick up some junk obsolete test equipment with no practical modern application.  No one has suggested it is wrong or illegal to travel as part of your work.
As part of a hobby it is wrong.

Thing is it’s not that simple. I’ve made a fairly large turnover on “obsolete test equipment with no practical modern application” so clearly it has commercial value. Sometimes there is ambiguity between a hobby and a business and a business is an entirely arbitrary concept as is work. Which is where the argument falls over.

I am a professional engineer by qualification, a pretend software engineer by day and a Ferengi bastard by night. All three are legitimate businesses even though one might happen to be a hobby as well.

The only people apparently qualified to hang draw and quarter me happen to be HMRC though >:(

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82329 on: February 12, 2021, 09:23:13 pm »
I am very much in favor of a society formed after what Heinlein described in his Starship Troopers (the novel, not the bloody movie).
To get into office you must put your ass on the line and risk paying with your life to serve the people. Only then do you get your right to vote and to get voted into office. Sounds fine to me.

Erm, you do realise that what Heinlein was writing there was a satire, don't you?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82330 on: February 12, 2021, 09:23:51 pm »
you seem to be describing our secretary of health. Him being a bankster trainee who just bought some villa for 4 mill euros (how can you afford that kind of stuff even from a health secretary's salary ???

Makes you wonder where he left his pockets to be stuffed.

We have career bureaucrats with their very own agenda who have proven that they think of their bottom line first, and that needs to stop.

I agree up until the Starship Troopers bit. That was a pretty terrible military dystopia. I’m not sure it’s worse than our current shit show but it’s not where I want society to be. Other than the assholes being eaten by bugs bit  :-DD
The movie: I agree. The book: I don't agree. But we do not have to agree on everything.

Added the book to the reading list again. Perhaps the movie poisoned my memories  :-+

Currently working on The Colour Of Magic

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82331 on: February 12, 2021, 09:25:33 pm »
Again... ludicrous. Too many transactions that simply aren't possible to courier, or the seller can't offer that service. To the seller, that trip may very well mean the only income they've had in weeks, and cannot pay for shipping... it certainly is essential to them. As long as a traveler has a invoice, then the travel is legitimate.

mnem
*smh*

No, "essential" items and stores are defined for full lockdown in the UK e.g. food is "electronics" are not. Unless it is business it would be illegal to travel to pick up test equipment for example. And rightly so. Even for a business you could be asked to justify a trip. I had to travel (in UK) for work during the last lock down. It had to be authorised at executive level and the company has a letter from the government stating our business is essential. The whole point of lockdown is to stop the spread of Covid 19 and save lives. No amount of TE is worth a single life. Travelling to pick up TE is adding to the risk you don't know for sure that you or the seller is clear. You have to get fuel, possibly stop for food. A breakdown or accident is possible. The attitudes "it's just one trip" or "it's my right" are selfish and dangerous.  :rant:

*puts on Devil's advocate hat*

It is nothing to do with that. It is simple livelihood in many cases. To have an arbitrary restriction on CL, etc means that those hardest hit... poor people who would be selling goods on Craigslist, etc because they cannot work from home... have another form of income taken away from them. So now how do we explain away the desperation that comes from them having no way to make a living because we make these arbitrary rules?

Just because you and I have been fortunate enough to be able to make a living without contacting others doesn't mean others are so fortunate. And while we in here generally talk aboot our hobby as if it were just that, many folks reading this thread are actually looking for the tools of their trade (or looking to get into such a trade) and actually need things bought from these sources to do that.

It simply is not that BLACK & WHITE . I think we in here are all capable of making reasonable arrangements for curbside pickup... and I think it is reasonable to expect to be able to travel for commerce provided you make such arrangements.

Things are of course in a constant state of flux as well... we have not had a situation like this since the advent of the information age. The instantaneous flow of information makes a lot of travel unnecessary... but we also have a whole different relationship with our "leadership" as a result. I'm constantly wondering how much of the lockdown status is entirely due to political pressures vs actual safety. :-//

Up here, for example, Stage 3 lockdown is being lifted for the greater Toronto area starting last week through next week for kids to go back to school... no idea what the status is over there.  :-\

mnem
 :horse:

Even though mnem and I are at the entirely different ends of the political spectrum (are we?) I absolutely agree with him here. I have survived long enough on 25c noodle soups (aka ramen) to be able to tell. And I had to sell some of my highest prized possessions to survive (such as the MFSL UHQR signed limited edition of Dark Side of the Moon). Been there, survived that.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82332 on: February 12, 2021, 09:26:01 pm »
@bd139.
I fully understand your view point but the sad reality is that yes, the seller might be relying on the income of the sale, that is not in dispute, but its the buyer that makes the journey, and they are the ones being stopped and in some cases issued with fines. Gumtree etc have done deals with couriers like UPS, Hermes etc to give special low rates during the lockdown and they are themselves promoting that don't go out of their way to make unnecessary trips out of their local area to control Covid-19. If the collection point is within your own locality, then you could combine it with a trip to go shopping for instance, that way you're not likely to be stopped by the police and if stopped, say that your on your way to go food shopping.

I have done this a few times myself, both locally on a shopping trip, being socially aware and safe and out of my local area, paid for a courier and electronically paid the seller, thats both quick and safe to do so with buyer protection built in as well.

@factory.
Yes, I already have this schematic and the good article by Mark Hennessy, and it is very similar to the KKmoon unit but some circuit values have changed and I have not reversed engineered mine to see if the circuitry is the same but just doing a simple count up, have 7 caps on mine, Mark has 6, mine has 17 resistors, Marks has 16, and I notice that Mark says the FS8205A is shorted by solder blobs, mine is not shorted so yes, its close but not spot on.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82333 on: February 12, 2021, 09:29:53 pm »

Erm, you do realise that what Heinlein was writing there was a satire, don't you?

I do not think it was a satire, I think he put his military training and experiences into the book. And I can see where he is coming from (pls keep in mind that even though being a lady( :-DD) I did spend considerable time in certain jobs that I am not allowed to talk about. They did involve some things that today you might describe as questionable.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82334 on: February 12, 2021, 09:33:49 pm »
Even though mnem and I are at the entirely different ends of the political spectrum (are we?) I absolutely agree with him here. I have survived long enough on 25c noodle soups (aka ramen) to be able to tell. And I had to sell some of my highest prized possessions to survive (such as the MFSL UHQR signed limited edition of Dark Side of the Moon). Been there, survived that.

Exactly that.

People need to try living off skip diving for a few months at least once in their lives, particularly when you have a baby to look after. At least you ended up with some stuff. I had a trash PC, a PAYG Nokia and the clothes on my back left after that year! Started from ground zero back then.

This had such an impact that I put my family security first in all my decisions from there. It changes you and your false perception of security. It can happen to anyone instantly and then you’re cut off from your only way of building income quickly.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:35:26 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82335 on: February 12, 2021, 09:37:13 pm »
1000x this.  :-+

mnem
*thanks Ifni for all boons, great and small*
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:38:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82336 on: February 12, 2021, 09:40:45 pm »
I had to cope with the abuse, etc that I suffered during childhood. Took me 16 years to get over it, and I was not really able to function (and work) during that time. I remember that episode with horrors and flashbacks, it's no fun.
But: you do not have to do this, Dave. I am feeling much better now.

I was in the shit. Literally. Managed to slowly pull myself out. If that lockdown thing had happened during that time I would most likely be pushing up the daisies.

There are always 2 sides to consider.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82337 on: February 12, 2021, 09:43:46 pm »

I do not think it was a satire, I think he put his military training and experiences into the book. And I can see where he is coming from (pls keep in mind that even though being a lady( :-DD) I did spend considerable time in certain jobs that I am not allowed to talk about. They did involve some things that today you might describe as questionable.

Ehhh... it really was more of a cautionary tale; like Orwell & 1984. Tho I can see a fair amount of evidence of it being similarly used as blueprint by TPTB, just like 1984.

mnem
and I Know What You Did Last Summer...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82338 on: February 12, 2021, 09:44:11 pm »

Exactly that.

People need to try living off skip diving for a few months at least once in their lives, particularly when you have a baby to look after. At least you ended up with some stuff. I had a trash PC, a PAYG Nokia and the clothes on my back left after that year! Started from ground zero back then.

This had such an impact that I put my family security first in all my decisions from there. It changes you and your false perception of security. It can happen to anyone instantly and then you’re cut off from your only way of building income quickly.

which is exactly why I always try to have a plan B.
and 2 - 4 potential revenue avenues.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82339 on: February 12, 2021, 09:44:31 pm »

:-+

"Nightwatch" is one of my most famous books from him.   :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82340 on: February 12, 2021, 09:45:50 pm »

Got a long way to go before I get to that one!  :-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #82341 on: February 12, 2021, 09:46:36 pm »

Agreed.  I think it was exactly what he meant, especially given the strong themes of libertarianism and self sufficiency that run through most of his work.  He's probably spinning in his grave at this point.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82342 on: February 12, 2021, 09:49:33 pm »

Exactly that.

which is exactly why I always try to have a plan B.
and 2 - 4 potential revenue avenues.

Very wise move. It’s the same here.

I’m sitting here moonlighting fixing someone’s AWS DNS shitshow  :-DD

My motto which I’ve used here a few times is “always have an exit plan”

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82343 on: February 12, 2021, 09:50:06 pm »

Got a long way to go before I get to that one!  :-DD

Yeah, but it is worthwile every single page.  :D

My favourite characters are:
Esmeralda Weatherwax
Gytha Ogg
Sam Vimes
Lord Havelock Vetinari
And, of course, Bill Door, also known as HIM or DEATH   :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82344 on: February 12, 2021, 09:51:18 pm »
There is of course the other side that by making that TEA trip you are putting your family at risk of Covid  or loosing the breadwinner from it. I've known hard times too but health is more important than property.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82345 on: February 12, 2021, 09:55:22 pm »
There is of course the other side that by making that TEA trip you are putting your family at risk of Covid  or loosing the breadwinner from it. I've known hard times too but health is more important than property.

Certainly. But if you are starving, your health will be deteriorating, too.

And this lockdown is detrimental to our health, physical and psychological. And there is no real factual evidence that one of the main principals of healers, doctors , ... is being preserved (primum non nocere). Naturally there are assholes partying. On the other hand there are small business owners whose financial existance is being ruined.

It is difficult to find the right balance.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:00:42 pm by Saskia »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82346 on: February 12, 2021, 10:01:20 pm »

Refer to my original point about health. Covid will kill you if you have chronic heart disease. So will a windy day.

As the “breadwinner” I’m healthy, fit, already had Covid with no lasting side effects or concerns. Yet still my body decided to try and kill me two weeks ago. Ergo I have life insurance cover. And a paid up property. Mitigate all risks not one.

The universe can choose to smite you at a moment’s notice. Covid is fairly low on the list of things that scares me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82347 on: February 12, 2021, 10:04:52 pm »

Hmm, Terry's own official preferred reading order for the Rincewind books was to skip the first two (The Colour of Magic, and The light Fantastic) and dive straight in at "Sourcery". I think I tend to agree with him.

I suspect that BD139's internal Ferengi might make Moist von Lipwig the character that most resonates for him.  :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82348 on: February 12, 2021, 10:09:24 pm »
one of these is on the way to my fortress of solitude , but stuck at the big sorting center in harrisburg.

anyone have experience with them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP363-RF-Power-Meter-50-to-0dBm-1M-10GHz-Attenuation-Value-for-Radio-Instrument/373290120533?hash=item56e9d33555:g:68UAAOSwPJRfkXo4
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: bd139, FransW

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82349 on: February 12, 2021, 10:18:45 pm »
@Cerebus: Blind Hugh is more appropriate. I can smell the latinum.

Anyway surprisingly on topic ish for a change I won some test gear on eBay! It came with something I wanted as an ornament. The test gear is clearly missing some gubbins. Sorry if I sniped someone.

The ornament looks like a fairly hefty core memory stack. The test gear is a harwell thermal RMS voltmeter. I know the seller as well which is handy. I don’t expect the voltmeter will ever work or I can find any documentation for it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:21:28 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf