Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17490764 times)

vk6zgo, wolfy007 and 99 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82250 on: February 12, 2021, 08:03:41 am »
What on earth ... ?!?  :o

:-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82251 on: February 12, 2021, 08:11:18 am »
Oh he’s completely nuts. Look for the Furby organ  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82252 on: February 12, 2021, 08:15:07 am »
Yes, I saw that while I was scanning the list of his videos. Will definitly have a closer look.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82253 on: February 12, 2021, 08:19:15 am »
Well worth it. I've never seen anyone quite as motivated as he is for projects which are insane  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82254 on: February 12, 2021, 08:25:15 am »
Besides that, it seems, that he is knowing  what he is doing. Sort of ...   :-+ :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82255 on: February 12, 2021, 08:27:21 am »
The oscillators aren't the only thing that's "wired".  :o He's cranked like he's on meth or something. Or maybe it's just too early in the morning to appreciate the enthusiasm.  :-DD Personally I'd have trouble maintaining interest to build 10 of them.  :-//

In other news....there is talk of another foot of snow on Sunday. As a result the lady won't be visiting this weekend.  :(
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #82256 on: February 12, 2021, 08:34:55 am »
The oscillators aren't the only thing that's "wired".  :o He's cranked like he's on meth or something. Or maybe it's just too early in the morning to appreciate the enthusiasm.  :-DD Personally I'd have trouble maintaining interest to build 10 of them.  :-//

In other news....there is talk of another foot of snow on Sunday. As a result the lady won't be visiting this weekend.  :(

Bad news for you, possibly good news for us? Does this mean we will enjoy your presence on Discord?

What do you think of this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-TEKTRONIX-348-SYSTEM-683-SYSTEM-COFFEE-CUP-LQQK/284179917729

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82257 on: February 12, 2021, 08:43:41 am »

Musician. Mind altering drugs. Quite possibly  :-DD

Snow is done here for the next decade  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82258 on: February 12, 2021, 08:44:32 am »

Bad news for you, possibly good news for us? Does this mean we will enjoy your presence on Discord?

What do you think of this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-TEKTRONIX-348-SYSTEM-683-SYSTEM-COFFEE-CUP-LQQK/284179917729

Yes, I should be on Discord Saturday. When I reminded her that Sunday was Valentine's Day I got a completely unexpected response. She said "That's OK, everyday is Valentine's Day when I'm with you".  :o  Ever see a smurf blush?  :P :P :-DD

I have no idea what a Tektronix System 683 is. I'd have to Google it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:46:43 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82259 on: February 12, 2021, 08:51:35 am »
Happy New Year and Happy Palindrome Day. 12.02.2021  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, capt bullshot

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #82260 on: February 12, 2021, 09:11:00 am »
I don't think they would class buying stuff on ePay as family or business dealings, or essential either.

Depends on how you spin it. Don't forget the second form of lying: tell the truth but not all of it.

Have an "invoice", tell them you will ring and step back, have stuff deposited on doorstep, then go and pick it up.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82261 on: February 12, 2021, 09:55:09 am »
Yes, I should be on Discord Saturday. When I reminded her that Sunday was Valentine's Day I got a completely unexpected response. She said "That's OK, everyday is Valentine's Day when I'm with you".  :o  Ever see a smurf blush?  :P :P :-DD
So is poor Larry is in for a molesting instead ?  :P

Won't make Discord (Sunday 9am in NZ) as it's a last minute mad panic to get ready for 3 days at EMEX showing off our wares to the unsuspecting public.  :-DD
A sea of Siglents maybe a dozen I haven't quite decided however it will all come together on setup Sunday.

Will drop a pic of it all here when I get a chance.

Gunna do like menm....off to ded.  :=\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82262 on: February 12, 2021, 10:07:17 am »
Well, this I didn't expect. The Aussies are always regaling us with tales of the countryside on fire, and of course it happens here too, but not normally in winter after a week of freezing temperatures, rain and snow standing across most of the UK.

A huge fire has broken out across an area of moorland in Dartmoor, Devon.
Rob Steemson, Dartmoor national Park emergency officer, estimated the blaze to be about 5km (3.1 miles) wide and continuing to spread.
Mr Steemson said the fire, which could be seen about 20 miles away in Plymouth, was being stoked by fierce south-westerly winds.

I noticed a report of similar wildfires in the western isles of Scotland this morning after reading the about the lowest temperatures for many years.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-56021899

David

I was wondering if it might be happening in places with deposits of peat, as I seem to remember reports of similar happenings in Ireland.

But, on second thoughts, if it is very cold with no possibility of rain, dry vegetation could still burn, anyway.

Really strange things happen-------- many years ago in the tropical North of Western Australia, I recall seeing lightning strikes setting fire to the stuff they call "cane grass" up there, in the middle of a torrential downpour.

The explanation given for the fires in Scotland is that the persistent cold weather has dried out the heather, leaving something highly flammable lying about despite much being currently covered in snow. The physics makes sense, but it runs counter to one's instinctive expectation that things covered in snow aren't prime fodder for a wildfire. West county moorland is quite similar, vegetation wise, to the Western Isles (of Scotland).

The journalist seems to suggest a lack of snow for the Western parts of Scotland is to blame.
Area commander Bruce Farquharson said: "There may have been a lot of snow in the eastern and central areas of Scotland, but that is not the case in the western coastal areas and fuel conditions are very different.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82263 on: February 12, 2021, 10:19:22 am »

Musician. Mind altering drugs. Quite possibly  :-DD

Snow is done here for the next decade  :-DD

He seems to have lots of TEA, haven't looked there for a while, last one I watched was the Solartron video, yes he rescued that one that had been lingering on ePay for a very long time.

David

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #82265 on: February 12, 2021, 10:36:01 am »
"Some Cosmetic wear"

Yeah...  :palm:

It makes you wonder if there are even any salvageable parts inside, since it also says:

Does not power up!  Sold as is for parts or repair, no guarantees, no returns!

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82266 on: February 12, 2021, 10:53:21 am »

So the "Radiation source" arrived from ebay seller Scotttrade12 today. The packing was c*%p in the bottom of  thin box with amothe old box crushed on top  :palm: Good job it's not a delicate optical instrument -not.
Anyway preditions were correct, it is an IR source with the output from the pointy end. First photo is with rubber armour removed. With the metal output tube removed you can see the output "window", photo 2. It looks like a random fibre opic bundle. Applying an external light source confirms this, photo 3. The electronics pull out of the back. Nothing special at all, Photo 4. The electro-optics are at the front a ring of 12 small emitters with filters wired as two lots of 6 plus an unfiltered photodiode in the middle, presumably feedback. The two sets of emitters might be different wavelengths. Photo 5. Trouble is the emitters are potted with hard compound into the black block of Delrin like plastic. Going to be hard to dig one out. The emitters and photodiode are coupled to 13 small fibre bundles. The fibre coupler mixes the 12 outputs in a random manner. Photo 6 with external illumination at the "output".
Interesting but not a lot of use.

Oh, I don't know. Could be quite a bit of fun, depending where you live.

Just wait for the next flight of whatevers to take off for exercises, and give them some unexpected excitement...

Hell NO
1/ It does not have the range (only  couple of metres
2/ It would only get a reaction from a military aircraft with a missile warning system
3/ As an aerospace professional they would (rightly) lock me up

NEVER direct any electromagnetic source at any aircraft!

Any?
Hams regularly use aircraft enhancement to increase VHF/ UHF range.

Aircraft used to fly across the path of Studio to Transmitter Links, causing "flutter" of the received pix & at worst, sync loss.

I did say "direct at" While amateurs might use "aircraft scatter"  but they don't, or at least should not target specfic aircraft. Typically aircraft scatter is used for beyond visual range communition implying that the aircraft is at some distance so field strengths are low. This is different to pointing a directional antenna at a nearby aircraft.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82267 on: February 12, 2021, 10:55:18 am »
"Some Cosmetic wear"

Yeah...  :palm:

It makes you wonder if there are even any salvageable parts inside, since it also says:

Does not power up!  Sold as is for parts or repair, no guarantees, no returns!

Probably doesn't do anything they consider as 'power up' due to the smashed display, they do state the readout is broken and it's quite obvious from the picture.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82268 on: February 12, 2021, 11:05:05 am »
Edit: anyone near Carlisle? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203276157425

Without lockdown that might have triggered a nice short holiday :(

Those Tek generators are tempting along with the SE Labs DVM, but unless the lockdown ends soon it's a non starter though, police are randomly stopping non-local vehicles here & issuing fines.
Plus my van really needs a proper service, don't think they did bugger all to it last year.

David
Police are using their ANPRS equipped cars to spot vehicles that are not locally registered. I don’t think that visiting family that are not local to you would be an acceptable excuse either. So if your vehicle is not registered in the area, you’re at a very high risk of being pulled over.

That shit would not fly here. The cops would have the ACLU up their arse in about 10 seconds. Having a license plate outside a "local area" is not reasonable cause to get pulled over. Besides, define "local area". How big is it? A road? A town? A county? State?  :bullshit:

ACLU = American Civil Liberties Union.

I don't know how local they consider as an area, but on the regional news yesterday they fined a Merc driver for being at a beach 7 miles from where the car was registered.

Like I said before I won't be bidding for the lot unless they announce lockdown is ending, I'm currently shielding & furloughed from work as a result, plus I recently lost a relative to the virus. Travel is permitted for visiting family at end-of-life and to funerals.

Edit: Plus I've found something HP I want in Germany with shipping.

David
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:23:25 am by factory »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82269 on: February 12, 2021, 11:11:42 am »
Edit: anyone near Carlisle? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203276157425

Without lockdown that might have triggered a nice short holiday :(

Those Tek generators are tempting along with the SE Labs DVM, but unless the lockdown ends soon it's a non starter though, police are randomly stopping non-local vehicles here & issuing fines.
Plus my van really needs a proper service, don't think they did bugger all to it last year.

David
Police are using their ANPRS equipped cars to spot vehicles that are not locally registered. I don’t think that visiting family that are not local to you would be an acceptable excuse either. So if your vehicle is not registered in the area, you’re at a very high risk of being pulled over.

That shit would not fly here. The cops would have the ACLU up their arse in about 10 seconds. Having a license plate outside a "local area" is not reasonable cause to get pulled over. Besides, define "local area". How big is it? A road? A town? A county? State?  :bullshit:

ACLU = American Civil Liberties Union.

I don't know how local they consider as an area, but on the regional news yesterday they fined a Merc driver for being at a beach 7 miles from where the car was registered.

Like I said before I won't be bidding for the lot unless they announce lockdown is ending, I'm currently shielding & furloughed from work as a result, plus I recently lost a relative to the virus. Travel is permitted for visiting family at end-of-life and to funerals.

That Merc at the beach was unlikely to be there for work, and 7 miles is not local for exercise. There may have been other factors, e.g. meeting someone.

If you are shielding, I'm not sure how relevant lockdown is anyway. I'd have thought you would want to minimise contact regardless of lockdown.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82270 on: February 12, 2021, 11:21:17 am »
Once lockdown ends I will be back at work (no choice), where it's very difficult to avoid other people, plus some don't give a shit about personal hygiene, distancing or wearing the PPE properly. And when I was last at work they sent me to cover for people in another department that had been off because they had got the virus.

Collecting TE can be done by arranging for it to be left out & paying in advance.

David
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:25:46 am by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82271 on: February 12, 2021, 11:25:09 am »
filed a buyer protection thingie with paypal just out of spite and to make sure I get my money back.

Sensible move in my opinion, good luck
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82272 on: February 12, 2021, 11:25:28 am »
Once lockdown ends I will be back at work, where it's very difficult to avoid other people, plus some don't give a shit about personal hygiene, distancing or wearing the PPE properly. And when I was last at work they sent me to cover for people in another department that had been off because they had got the virus.

Your empoloyer has a duty of care.

Standard HSE legislation means any manager that does not ensure safety can be personally sued, in addition to the company. That's true for people splashing hot metal around and equally for people using display screen equipment (i.e. computers).

Whether you choose to point that out is a difficult decision.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #82273 on: February 12, 2021, 11:30:12 am »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82274 on: February 12, 2021, 11:32:10 am »
One set of calibration resistors ordered. Sigh. You people are a bad influence.  :-DD

Crap...  Don't buy 'em all out now... haha   8)   If they're going to be that popular I don't mind just ordering like four or five sets for us Canuckistanians, it says only six of of the twin sets left after EE4all's purchase...
Oklay... I ordered a couple sets for myself, and the seller said he would add a order at asking price to mine. I offered that to Al, but he's gone silent running:-//

mnem
mooo...?

Perhaps he is visiting Mike & The Mechanics...?

*duckandrun*
Great song and band  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf