Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16723854 times)

Vince and 125 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82150 on: February 10, 2021, 09:39:06 pm »
Probably reading high because it's leaky, a Megger test would reveal if it is now a nice resistor.  >:D

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82151 on: February 10, 2021, 09:41:29 pm »
Stick it across the mains, put your feet up and wait for the smell  :-DD

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82152 on: February 10, 2021, 09:42:38 pm »

And on to other even more offensive things: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294005032896

:palm:

A waveform monitor is a video item, not an audio item. Fucking loser vultures.

Seen that seller before, they seem to have far to many used front panels removed from old HP TEA.  :--

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82153 on: February 10, 2021, 09:53:18 pm »

Done that before but outside with an Advance PSU, three random time delays with crackling & smoke, should have left it on longer to finish off the other one.  >:D

David

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82154 on: February 10, 2021, 10:04:14 pm »
So glad I don't have smelly vision yet  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82155 on: February 10, 2021, 10:15:21 pm »
Anyone in the US want a cheap HP 431B power meter that still appears to have a sensor with it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254862401586

Or a 500MHz counter for repair (US only), doesn't mention the display type so hopefully won't be seen by the scrappers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324479921724

And in the boat anchor category something much less common, a HP 100E Frequency Standard.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254862394634
https://www.hpmemoryproject.org/news/100e/hp100e_page_00.htm

I would have had a go at that one, but it will likely exceed the size/weight limits of the GSP and get stuck in Kentucky.

David

Drool!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #82156 on: February 10, 2021, 10:21:52 pm »
Probably reading high because it's leaky, a Megger test would reveal if it is now a nice resistor.  >:D

David

Indeed. Went and tried; crank Megger(TM) says about 2MΩ for the old one, and one of the new ones from the batch I bought goes more or less to infinity. IIRC old Cranky puts out 500V DC. Bakelite power!  (A defining characteristic of the crank Megger is that it only shows a proper reading when one's cranking it, which is why it looks like it's almost 30MΩ as I'd let go of the crank to take the picture. )

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82157 on: February 10, 2021, 10:29:42 pm »

Done that before but outside with an Advance PSU, three random time delays with crackling & smoke, should have left it on longer to finish off the other one.  >:D

David

Hahaha nicely done  :-+

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82158 on: February 10, 2021, 10:50:00 pm »

David

Indeed. Went and tried; crank Megger(TM) says about 2MΩ for the old one, and one of the new ones from the batch I bought goes more or less to infinity. IIRC old Cranky puts out 500V DC. Bakelite power!  (A defining characteristic of the crank Megger is that it only shows a proper reading when one's cranking it, which is why it looks like it's almost 30MΩ as I'd let go of the crank to take the picture. )

I like those "real" Meggers---------maybe because I'm "old & cranky", too! ;D

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #82159 on: February 10, 2021, 11:00:31 pm »
I manual states to remove the board out the back after disassembling the entire rear of the scope. Now I've had my head inside these 485's for 3 days straight and there's absolutely no way that would work. Anyone who tried that would wind up drilling out the welds and removing the plate just like I did.  ::)

Sounds like the Haynes manual for the Volvo V70N. It is riddled with errors. The two ones I've stumbled on are

• The exhaust manifold / catalytic converter assembly removal procedure is -- paraphrased -- as "unscrew Lambda sonds, open joint to rest of exhaust, remove nuts on engine block, take manifold out over the engine". That is impossible. The only way it'll work is downward, by removing the drive axle to the right front wheel (it passes behind the engine) and manouvering it out there.
  • The outer drive joints are to be removed by "hammering with a brass mallet" according to Haynes. Or, one can take an extra long M10 screw and thread it into a hole in the axle where there normally sits a shorter M10 screw serving to hold the axle in the hub. The long screw serves as an integrated puller and simply pushes the joint off. Took 2 hours of hammering and 5 minutes googling and 30 seconds of pushing with the long M10.

Haynes response: "We've not had any complaints so you're in error".  :palm: Think they should continue doing Spitfire "manuals" instead of actual manuals for things people want to repair.

Hence the Autoshite forum name "Haynes Book of Lies"

So the "Radiation source" arrived from ebay seller Scotttrade12 today. The packing was c*%p in the bottom of  thin box with amothe old box crushed on top  :palm: Good job it's not a delicate optical instrument -not.
Anyway preditions were correct, it is an IR source with the output from the pointy end. First photo is with rubber armour removed. With the metal output tube removed you can see the output "window", photo 2. It looks like a random fibre opic bundle. Applying an external light source confirms this, photo 3. The electronics pull out of the back. Nothing special at all, Photo 4. The electro-optics are at the front a ring of 12 small emitters with filters wired as two lots of 6 plus an unfiltered photodiode in the middle, presumably feedback. The two sets of emitters might be different wavelengths. Photo 5. Trouble is the emitters are potted with hard compound into the black block of Delrin like plastic. Going to be hard to dig one out. The emitters and photodiode are coupled to 13 small fibre bundles. The fibre coupler mixes the 12 outputs in a random manner. Photo 6 with external illumination at the "output".
Interesting but not a lot of use.

Oh, I don't know. Could be quite a bit of fun, depending where you live.

Just wait for the next flight of whatevers to take off for exercises, and give them some unexpected excitement...

Boatload of boat anchors in the US:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-1731-1721-764-1741A-WFM601A-11-Geraete/353383442481
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82160 on: February 11, 2021, 03:58:07 am »
And now for something completely different: pick-up lines.

Inspired by D&D.

:-DD  :-DD  :-DD :-DD

Here's another 10 minutes of your life you'll never get back.  :-DD

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a LARPer mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #82161 on: February 11, 2021, 06:20:02 am »

So the "Radiation source" arrived from ebay seller Scotttrade12 today. The packing was c*%p in the bottom of  thin box with amothe old box crushed on top  :palm: Good job it's not a delicate optical instrument -not.
Anyway preditions were correct, it is an IR source with the output from the pointy end. First photo is with rubber armour removed. With the metal output tube removed you can see the output "window", photo 2. It looks like a random fibre opic bundle. Applying an external light source confirms this, photo 3. The electronics pull out of the back. Nothing special at all, Photo 4. The electro-optics are at the front a ring of 12 small emitters with filters wired as two lots of 6 plus an unfiltered photodiode in the middle, presumably feedback. The two sets of emitters might be different wavelengths. Photo 5. Trouble is the emitters are potted with hard compound into the black block of Delrin like plastic. Going to be hard to dig one out. The emitters and photodiode are coupled to 13 small fibre bundles. The fibre coupler mixes the 12 outputs in a random manner. Photo 6 with external illumination at the "output".

Just wait for the next flight of whatevers to take off for exercises, and give them some unexpected excitement...

Please just don't.  If you were to do that, you should EXPECT some undesirable excitement.
The local authorities helping out EASA, FAA or TCCA do not take kindly to such activities.
In the GWN, it is up to $25k and some time in the clinker.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #82162 on: February 11, 2021, 06:43:42 am »

Please just don't.  If you were to do that, you should EXPECT some undesirable excitement.
The local authorities helping out EASA, FAA or TCCA do not take kindly to such activities.
In the GWN, it is up to $25k and some time in the clinker.

I think you're mixing this up with those turds that point powerful lasers at civilian aircraft. It's very much not the same thing, though if they located you, you'd definitely get a visit from some people with little or no sense of humour...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #82163 on: February 11, 2021, 07:54:05 am »
Anyone in the US want a cheap HP 431B power meter that still appears to have a sensor with it?

Or a 500MHz counter for repair (US only), doesn't mention the display type so hopefully won't be seen by the scrappers.

And in the boat anchor category something much less common, a HP 100E Frequency Standard.

I would have had a go at that one, but it will likely exceed the size/weight limits of the GSP and get stuck in Kentucky.

David

Drool!

I know I took pics of my 100ER a few years ago, but apparently never uploaded them. I need to look and figure out where they're stowed away.  Mine is the rack version, so no enclosure.  That's a nice looking one in the listing.  It's a cool old piece of gear, but yeah, probably not something you'd want to pay to ship overseas.  The bane of loving and collecting boat anchors.

And I (stupidly, as at that price I'm sure it's dead dead) bought the power meter.  I have a similar one with a good sensor that was given to me by a friend who has since passed on.  The sensor works, but the cable is all gnarly and gooey, and the meter case is rather a mess, too - he'd saved it years ago from the dumpster where he worked, and it spent a decade or two in his basement.  I figure if it works, jackpot and I have a second sensor to use with my digital one; if not then it's a parts mule to restore the one I got from John.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82164 on: February 11, 2021, 08:28:23 am »
The only cure for an inkjet is to kick the shit out of it and buy a laser.

Got one of these which is actually quite nice. Duplex with document feeder scanner that actually works properly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HB4V132/

We bought a networked (cable and wifi) Brother colour laser, a HL-3170CDW. Every computer in the house and all phones/tablets will print to it, the web interface is usable from other browsers than M$IE, and it's got a working IPv6 stack. Wholly likable.  Only problem is that as usual, the full-capacity toner pack is an arm and a leg. We've swapped out the black, because that's most important, but the others have to wait.

Recently, wife bought an used Epson inkjet MFP; USB/WiFi, with refill bottles (so low operating costs, allegedly). A royal pain and then some to set up wifi on, only simple if you've got WPS. Hint: Boat anchor wifi like Cisco enterprise kit won't do WPS. After a lot of very confusing mumbo-jumbo with the config program from a Windows host via USB, it suddenly started working. It even scans.

Historically, we've had a series of Laserjet 4M+ and a cheap Tektronix. The Tek was horrible to get to work; the last Laserjet developed a broken JetDirect card (or I'd have it still) and I've got a CompuPrint 925N dot-matrix printer in storage. Less ribbon. It seems impossible to get hold of or I'd set it up on the print port on one of my serial terminals, to print logins and Kerberos ticket purchases to hardcopy. I've got an Axis print server for parallel port printers somewhere, so I could put it on the net too.

But, in general, printers are the work of every Dark Force in universum. I hate them.

Currently looking for a sheet-fed networked scanner.

Those of us old enough to remember the use of DIP switches (always tucked away in some dark crevice) to control the printer settings will agree. I remember a colleague claiming that one circle of Hell was made entirely of printer DIP switches, an idea I find eminently plausible.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #82165 on: February 11, 2021, 09:15:01 am »
My brand new Keithley 6500 just arrived. As soon as it has got up to room temperature, I'll turn it on and let it further warm

and and and ?

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82166 on: February 11, 2021, 09:39:04 am »

Got one of these which is actually quite nice. Duplex with document feeder scanner that actually works properly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HB4V132/

We bought a networked (cable and wifi) Brother colour laser, a HL-3170CDW. Every computer in the house and all phones/tablets will print to it, the web interface is usable from other browsers than M$IE, and it's got a working IPv6 stack. Wholly likable.  Only problem is that as usual, the full-capacity toner pack is an arm and a leg. We've swapped out the black, because that's most important, but the others have to wait.

Recently, wife bought an used Epson inkjet MFP; USB/WiFi, with refill bottles (so low operating costs, allegedly). A royal pain and then some to set up wifi on, only simple if you've got WPS. Hint: Boat anchor wifi like Cisco enterprise kit won't do WPS. After a lot of very confusing mumbo-jumbo with the config program from a Windows host via USB, it suddenly started working. It even scans.

Historically, we've had a series of Laserjet 4M+ and a cheap Tektronix. The Tek was horrible to get to work; the last Laserjet developed a broken JetDirect card (or I'd have it still) and I've got a CompuPrint 925N dot-matrix printer in storage. Less ribbon. It seems impossible to get hold of or I'd set it up on the print port on one of my serial terminals, to print logins and Kerberos ticket purchases to hardcopy. I've got an Axis print server for parallel port printers somewhere, so I could put it on the net too.

But, in general, printers are the work of every Dark Force in universum. I hate them.

Currently looking for a sheet-fed networked scanner.

Those of us old enough to remember the use of DIP switches (always tucked away in some dark crevice) to control the printer settings will agree. I remember a colleague claiming that one circle of Hell was made entirely of printer DIP switches, an idea I find eminently plausible.

"of printer DIP switches" and RS-232 breakout boxes with half the jumper leads missing.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #82167 on: February 11, 2021, 09:49:34 am »

Burn them down on the spot, they are more dangerous than COVID.
The inkjet companies management who tought to sell them with minor margin and then get the money from the ink cartridge market, they will burn in hell too. For a long time... drinking smelling ink and eating jammed paper.

Bastards, thinking about inkjet rise my blood pressure immediately. Such evil bastards... we should do a Nuremberg trials for all the inkjet companies.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:35:26 am by Zucca »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82168 on: February 11, 2021, 10:09:00 am »
My brand new Keithley 6500 just arrived. As soon as it has got up to room temperature, I'll turn it on and let it further warm

and and and ?

Review summary: It's sex on a stick! I'd write more, but I'm busy measuring "Things". :)

Negative: I would have preferred a bigger power button and a real one at that.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #82169 on: February 11, 2021, 10:10:04 am »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82170 on: February 11, 2021, 11:03:06 am »

and and and ?

Review summary: It's sex on a stick! I'd write more, but I'm busy measuring "Things". :)

Negative: I would have preferred a bigger power button and a real one at that.

McBryce.

If you don't post a picture in the next 10 seconds we are going to come to your house and burn it down.  :P :P :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82171 on: February 11, 2021, 11:14:27 am »
I failed again

I'm not even know where to store it :(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:19:03 am by psykok »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, beanflying, factory, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82172 on: February 11, 2021, 11:38:32 am »

David

Drool!

I know I took pics of my 100ER a few years ago, but apparently never uploaded them. I need to look and figure out where they're stowed away.  Mine is the rack version, so no enclosure.  That's a nice looking one in the listing.  It's a cool old piece of gear, but yeah, probably not something you'd want to pay to ship overseas.  The bane of loving and collecting boat anchors.

And I (stupidly, as at that price I'm sure it's dead dead) bought the power meter.  I have a similar one with a good sensor that was given to me by a friend who has since passed on.  The sensor works, but the cable is all gnarly and gooey, and the meter case is rather a mess, too - he'd saved it years ago from the dumpster where he worked, and it spent a decade or two in his basement.  I figure if it works, jackpot and I have a second sensor to use with my digital one; if not then it's a parts mule to restore the one I got from John.

-Pat

There are some internal pictures of the 100E on the HP memory page I linked, they aren't very detailed though.
Actually the shipping is very reasonable, just the risk of GSP deciding it's oversize or weight (or disliking vacuum bulbs as they sometimes do). The 1961 catalog claims it's only 2lbs heavier than a 5245L and I managed to get one of those through GSP (OK it was the 5243L version), now I'm thinking should I bid on it.  :-//

The power meter also had GSP, but with shipping only looked a good deal in the US, hence why I posted it, hopefully it will be OK and maybe they couldn't try it as it had no power lead.  ;)

David

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #82173 on: February 11, 2021, 11:39:59 am »
I failed again

I'm not even know where to store it :(

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #82174 on: February 11, 2021, 11:54:25 am »
Uppedididdelidate:

The OTT graphics card is a DOA. Probably was returned earlier, the fucktards in the service dept did not test the return and sent it out as new.

I am not a happy camper.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf