Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16727128 times)

Cesar_D and 132 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #82100 on: February 10, 2021, 03:14:31 pm »
Haha, I think he's fucked even if it isn't a video car, the police go round in twos, so they he has got 2 witnesses against him. Strange that you should say that today as I was watching a YT video last night about instant karma that showed peoples dashcam footage of drivers who had done similar things and were either spotted by parked police cars or had done in front of unmarked cars. That always makes me laugh that people are that stupid not to think that it could be an unmarked police unit  :palm:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:25:30 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #82101 on: February 10, 2021, 03:24:51 pm »
My brand new Keithley 6500 just arrived. As soon as it has got up to room temperature, I'll turn it on and let it further warm up, then it's time to see how far off all my other equipment is :) It looks so good you just want to measure things, lots of things.

McBryce.

Neat. Has it been calibrated...? :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82102 on: February 10, 2021, 03:27:39 pm »
So it seems then that the word "calibration" is being misused. What you describe I would call a verification that the device is still within the design parameters. To me and loads of other people, calibration is accepted to mean checking and if necessary, adjusting the equipment in order to meet the design specification and then a calibration sticker certificate can be issued to say that the equipment is performing within its design parameters.

Repairs do not in anybodies mind constitute a calibration, merely an effective repair has been carried out to a level that then requires calibration, (or adjustments / fine-tuning / tweaks) to be made against known standards, to bring the equipment back to a position within the original design parameters.

For example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibration makes use of both concepts of "Calibration" that have been expressed so far by myself and others in this thread and there is one particular section of the wikipedia that states :-
"In general use, calibration is often regarded as including the process of adjusting the output or indication on a measurement instrument to agree with value of the applied standard, within a specified accuracy. For example, a thermometer could be calibrated so the error of indication or the correction is determined, and adjusted (e.g. via calibration constants) so that it shows the true temperature in Celsius at specific points on the scale. This is the perception of the instrument's end-user.  "

It is that concept that I conjure up in my mind when talking about getting something to calibrated, and it is that I believe most would accept.

I think my nozzle needs to be calibrated.  >:D

mnem
*shameless*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82103 on: February 10, 2021, 03:31:44 pm »
Haha, I think he's fucked even if it isn't a video car, the police go round in twos, so they he has got 2 witnesses against him. Strange that you should say that today as I was watching a YT video last night about instant karma that showed peoples dashcam footage of drivers who had done similar things and were either spotted by parked police cars or had done in front of unmarked cars. That always makes me laugh that people are that stupid not to think that it could be an unmarked police unit  :palm:

Yep exactly. Just went back past the location and the vehicle was sitting there with warning flashers on and the guy was in the police car still  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82104 on: February 10, 2021, 03:35:58 pm »
mnem, it might help if your video was available, all I get is "video is not available" then we might know if your nozzle needs calibration or adjustment  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #82105 on: February 10, 2021, 03:36:30 pm »
Have you waved to him in a friendly manner?  ;D :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82106 on: February 10, 2021, 03:41:48 pm »
Anyone in the US want a cheap HP 431B power meter that still appears to have a sensor with it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254862401586

Or a 500MHz counter for repair (US only), doesn't mention the display type so hopefully won't be seen by the scrappers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324479921724

And in the boat anchor category something much less common, a HP 100E Frequency Standard.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254862394634
https://www.hpmemoryproject.org/news/100e/hp100e_page_00.htm

I would have had a go at that one, but it will likely exceed the size/weight limits of the GSP and get stuck in Kentucky.

David

The following users thanked this post: FransW, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82107 on: February 10, 2021, 03:45:14 pm »
LMAO road karma. Cunt overtook me in a Range Rover. Was doing 30 in a 30 limit and that wasn’t fast enough so he blasted round me doing 50ish on the wrong side of an island and nearly hit an Audi coming the other way. Car coming other way? Plain police car which swung round behind me, passed carefully and pulled the cunt over  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Hopefully it was a video car. If so he’s fucked.

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82108 on: February 10, 2021, 03:49:23 pm »
@mnementh, don't worry about the video, I switched my VPN on and got around the restriction, haha.

In other news, my BangGood desk magnifier/lamp has arrived, and I'm impressed with it, vast improvement over the old fluorescent one I had.  Did you split the control module open or did you just cut the wires and then solder new ones onto the tails when you re-located the control closer to the head? 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82109 on: February 10, 2021, 03:56:35 pm »
My brand new Keithley 6500 just arrived. As soon as it has got up to room temperature, I'll turn it on and let it further warm up, then it's time to see how far off all my other equipment is :) It looks so good you just want to measure things, lots of things.

McBryce.

mnem

Well it comes with a Calibration Certificate, so I'd say yes. However, it doesn't match the values on the sticker of my cheap Chinese voltage standard, so I'll open it up later and see if there are any pots I can twiddle. :D

On the subject of calibration. At one of my jobs I had to sign off the calibration invoices and quotes. The quote always stated "Calibration - X Euros, should adjustment or repair be required, an additional quotation will be submitted after confirmation of intent".

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, factory, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82110 on: February 10, 2021, 04:00:31 pm »
mnem, it might help if your video was available, all I get is "video is not available" then we might know if your nozzle needs calibration or adjustment  >:D

Currently it it a bit low and hanging to the left... I think adjustment is probably a good idea, but optional. :-DD

Welp.... that kindof sux, but there simply isn't another posted video of that scene anywhere but the orificial Adult Swim channel on yoobToob. They do police their IP pretty aggressively; not surprising in this day & age.

https://venturebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/The_Nozzle

I tried searching from the US via VPN too, and still same results.  You might find something on your side of the pond if you search "venture the nozzle".  :-//

EDIT: Oh, it looks like you found a way around the geoblock.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 04:04:22 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82111 on: February 10, 2021, 04:09:13 pm »

McBryce.

mnem

Well it comes with a Calibration Certificate, so I'd say yes. However, it doesn't match the values on the sticker of my cheap Chinese voltage standard, so I'll open it up later and see if there are any pots I can twiddle. :D

On the subject of calibration. At one of my jobs I had to sign off the calibration invoices and quotes. The quote always stated "Calibration - X Euros, should adjustment or repair be required, an additional quotation will be submitted after confirmation of intent".

McBryce.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82112 on: February 10, 2021, 04:20:03 pm »
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, call me impressed.  :-+ The entire attenuator assembly slides out with minimum fuss or tongue angle. And the 50ohm/1MEG switch is part of that assembly. So rather than try to unsolder the switch I'm going to just swap over the entire unit....after giving the switch contacts a good cleaning.  8)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82113 on: February 10, 2021, 04:30:55 pm »
So it seems then that the word "calibration" is being misused. What you describe I would call a verification that the device is still within the design parameters. To me and loads of other people, calibration is accepted to mean checking and if necessary, adjusting the equipment in order to meet the design specification and then a calibration sticker certificate can be issued to say that the equipment is performing within its design parameters.

Repairs do not in anybodies mind constitute a calibration, merely an effective repair has been carried out to a level that then requires calibration, (or adjustments / fine-tuning / tweaks) to be made against known standards, to bring the equipment back to a position within the original design parameters.

For example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibration makes use of both concepts of "Calibration" that have been expressed so far by myself and others in this thread and there is one particular section of the wikipedia that states :-
"In general use, calibration is often regarded as including the process of adjusting the output or indication on a measurement instrument to agree with value of the applied standard, within a specified accuracy. For example, a thermometer could be calibrated so the error of indication or the correction is determined, and adjusted (e.g. via calibration constants) so that it shows the true temperature in Celsius at specific points on the scale. This is the perception of the instrument's end-user.  "

It is that concept that I conjure up in my mind when talking about getting something to calibrated, and it is that I believe most would accept.

Metrologists != most people. Metrology != common.

Many words are misused, e.g. troll, accuracy, precision, stability, resolution, hack, etc etc

Just abbout the best reference is Fluke's book "Calibration - Philosophy in Practice" The title says a lot. Yes I have a copy.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82114 on: February 10, 2021, 04:37:17 pm »

Many words are misused, e.g. troll, accuracy, precision, stability, resolution, hack, etc etc

Just abbout the best reference is Fluke's book "Calibration - Philosophy in Practice" The title says a lot. Yes I have a copy.

http://www.introni.it/pdf/Fluke%20-%20Calibration%20Philosophy%20in%20practice.pdf

This is the first edition. The resistor section is interesting. The standard cells one, is a bit less useful. I quess the second edition of the book is a lot more modern ?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 04:48:47 pm by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #82115 on: February 10, 2021, 04:46:56 pm »
Since I had to pull the shield off to clean it I figured I might as well share.

First pix is the 50 ohm side. 2nd pix is the 1MEG and pre-amp side. I deoxit'ed the leaf contacts then hosed them down with 100% IPA then blow dry.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, FransW, Kosmic, BILLPOD

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82116 on: February 10, 2021, 04:51:36 pm »
Since I had to pull the shield off to clean it I figured I might as well share.

First pix is the 50 ohm side. 2nd pix is the 1MEG and pre-amp side. I deoxit'ed the leaf contacts then hosed them down with 100% IPA then blow dry.

You know med, one day I will fix my Tek 485. And that day I will find all your posts about the 485 and put them all together. Then, I'm going to have a nice book on how to restore and fix the Tektronix 485  :-+

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #82117 on: February 10, 2021, 04:58:19 pm »
Just for the records:

calibration is not adjusting.

Calibration means: comparing the DUT to a reference and checking, if it is within specs.
If it is within specs, the differences will be documented.

If the DUT is out of specs, then an adjustment or repair of the DUT can be considered.
... and then proceeding with the calibration following completion of the adjustment or repairs.

EDIT:  Spec and bean beat me to it, just using different words.  Thanks to BU508A for the better explanation by adding details and clarity.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 05:03:36 pm by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82118 on: February 10, 2021, 05:27:40 pm »

Who doesn't?  :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82119 on: February 10, 2021, 05:33:50 pm »
All this talk of calibration made me actually do some work.

So, today I've calibrated my 0.1\$\Omega\$ current shunt. (99.9796(2901)\$m\Omega\$ @ 21.5˚C k=2), and calibrated and adjusted the HP 66312A (exceeds factory specifications by quite some margin, I'll actually run the factory verification procedure for the record once I can print the forms out [Bloody inkjets! clean nozzles - no, still crap - clean nozzles - no, still crap ...]).

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82120 on: February 10, 2021, 06:11:43 pm »
All this talk of calibration made me actually do some work.

So, today I've calibrated my 0.1\$\Omega\$ current shunt. (99.9796(2901)\$m\Omega\$ @ 21.5˚C k=2), and calibrated and adjusted the HP 66312A (exceeds factory specifications by quite some margin, I'll actually run the factory verification procedure for the record once I can print the forms out [Bloody inkjets! clean nozzles - no, still crap - clean nozzles - no, still crap ...]).
Still no crap is usually a sign that it has been a while since you last printed anything and the ink is drying up. Is the printer near to a source of heat by any chance?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82121 on: February 10, 2021, 06:16:37 pm »

Just about the best reference is Fluke's book "Calibration - Philosophy in Practice" The title says a lot. Yes I have a copy.

http://www.introni.it/pdf/Fluke%20-%20Calibration%20Philosophy%20in%20practice.pdf

This is the first edition. The resistor section is interesting. The standard cells one, is a bit less useful. I quess the second edition of the book is a lot more modern ?

Yes the 2nd edition is much more up to date. I have print copies of both editions.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82122 on: February 10, 2021, 06:26:39 pm »
once I can print the forms out[/i] [Bloody inkjets! clean nozzles - no, still crap - clean nozzles - no, still crap ...]).
Pull the print head out and place it nozzles down on damp paper towels overnight. Normally they then work fine next day.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82123 on: February 10, 2021, 06:32:36 pm »
once I can print the forms out[/i] [Bloody inkjets! clean nozzles - no, still crap - clean nozzles - no, still crap ...]).
Pull the print head out and place it nozzles down on damp paper towels overnight. Normally they then work fine next day.
That depends on the type of printer. Some of the print heads are not removable, Brother only has 4 ink cartridges, the head is fed via small tubes from the cartridge holder. I'm guessing yours is a HP as I know that they do have head and ink cartridge all combined and they tend to be very expensive and none refillable, plus the cheeky bastards have a microchip in them that will kill them after a predetermined time, rendering them useless.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82124 on: February 10, 2021, 06:39:29 pm »
The only cure for an inkjet is to kick the shit out of it and buy a laser.

Got one of these which is actually quite nice. Duplex with document feeder scanner that actually works properly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HB4V132/

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf