Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16727053 times)

Cesar_D and 127 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81950 on: February 08, 2021, 07:48:00 pm »
From experience most people who had those on benches where i momentarily worked left them on overnight. And their soldering irons  :scared:
Similarly, in many offices people go home and leave their computers and monitors running all night  :scared:

My first Fluke 8840A must also have been one that was left running 24/7 because the display was almost unreadable if exposed to reasonably bright light  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81951 on: February 08, 2021, 07:50:30 pm »
From experience most people who had those on benches where i momentarily worked left them on overnight. And their soldering irons  :scared:
Similarly, in many offices people go home and leave their computers and monitors running all night  :scared:

My first Fluke 8840A must also have been one that was left running 24/7 because the display was almost unreadable if exposed to reasonably bright light  :palm:

To be fair I do that with my Mac. Even when it’s idle but powered up it only uses 6 watts (!) and 0.5W when asleep.

As for the VFD based meters being left on that’s unforgivable.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81952 on: February 08, 2021, 08:01:51 pm »

To be fair I do that with my Mac. Even when it’s idle but powered up it only uses 6 watts (!) and 0.5W when asleep.

The display yes, but it would be nice if the electronics could be left on. Depending on ambient, it can take my good VFD meters an hour to properly warm up.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81953 on: February 08, 2021, 08:09:04 pm »

The display yes, but it would be nice if the electronics could be left on. Depending on ambient, it can take my good VFD meters an hour to properly warm up.
Yeah, but is it really required to warm them up, from my experience it might make the last digit more stable by 1 or 2 counts, what demands that level of accuracy anyway?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81954 on: February 08, 2021, 08:48:42 pm »
Med has the SDM3055 and now we have a secret user cal process for them.....if you have a suitable reference.  :)

My bad, I misremembered.

Do you know whether the factory calibration process is manual or automated? A person having a bit of brain fade would explain a lot.

It will be automated using a universal calibrator with a PC running a cal script but it's been reported SDM's drift a little until their references become suitably aged and stable so the user cal process has been developed for owners with decent references to make fine adjustments to accuracy.

Defpom tweaked his 3065X using one of IanJ's references that have been calibrated with a 8.5 digit DMM.
AFAIK it worked out just fine even though the adjustment process was still in the beta stages and Defpom provided some feedback to Siglent for them to polish it some.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81955 on: February 08, 2021, 09:21:14 pm »
Med has the SDM3055 and now we have a secret user cal process for them.....if you have a suitable reference.  :)

My bad, I misremembered.

Do you know whether the factory calibration process is manual or automated? A person having a bit of brain fade would explain a lot.

It will be automated using a universal calibrator with a PC running a cal script but it's been reported SDM's drift a little until their references become suitably aged and stable so the user cal process has been developed for owners with decent references to make fine adjustments to accuracy.

Defpom tweaked his 3065X using one of IanJ's references that have been calibrated with a 8.5 digit DMM.
AFAIK it worked out just fine even though the adjustment process was still in the beta stages and Defpom provided some feedback to Siglent for them to polish it some.

I'm interested. My 3055 does need a tweak.

Based upon what I'm seeing so far with the 3465A/8505A competition the hp seems to be more stable and accurate. I'll post the results in the morning.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81956 on: February 08, 2021, 10:00:51 pm »

My bad, I misremembered.

Based upon what I'm seeing so far with the 3465A/8505A competition the hp seems to be more stable and accurate. I'll post the results in the morning.
Flick me an email Med you should still have it I guess.

You can calm the stability some in the 3055 by using its input filters or the Fast, Med, Slow read settings.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81957 on: February 08, 2021, 10:07:40 pm »

My desktop PC at work has been on 24/7 for nearly a year. I've not been in the building and been using remote access since before the first lock down. It's had a couple of re-starts but that's all.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81958 on: February 08, 2021, 10:35:29 pm »
BU058A.....can you explain in simple terms how to get the 3456A into 6.5 digit mode? Right now it's in 5.5 mode. I started reading the manual and so far it is very confusing.  |O

bd139 was faster than me, thanks.  :-+  :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81959 on: February 08, 2021, 10:38:59 pm »
I get the same monkey, but in English.
Me, too!

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81960 on: February 08, 2021, 10:47:18 pm »
They have only been on about an hour and so far looking damn good.  :-+

Bench meters from these guys and this era are such high quality design and construction I'd expect nothing less.

What does your 3065 say..?   :popcorn:

@med6753:
How about a DMMCheck Plus from Mr. Malone?
https://dmmcheckplus.com/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #81961 on: February 08, 2021, 11:44:31 pm »
F*ck.

Lenovo's supply chain apparently has broken down completely. 6 months lead time  |O :palm:
So, no new P15, however our "used stuff storage" still had a P53 in stock. They would have to special order the SSD and RAM upgrade and I would have to live with an RTX 3000. RAM and SSD should be no problem, and 64GB should be plenty for the forseeable future.

Told my boss that I would use my Tesla P100s for longer running calculations (i.e. if the RTX3k was not sufficient) and got the approval for the order.

But anyway. This should be a very decent notebook.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81962 on: February 09, 2021, 12:05:44 am »
You should build a 5000 series Ryzen Epyc box for the 3090... and manage it with the new laptop.  >:D

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-amd-epyc-rome-motherboard-seven-pcie-40-x16-expansion-slots

mnem
*juicy*
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 01:56:06 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #81963 on: February 09, 2021, 03:23:33 am »
They have only been on about an hour and so far looking damn good.  :-+

Those DMMs look pretty unstable to me  - physically unstable that is!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81964 on: February 09, 2021, 04:12:43 am »
They suit the owner just fine.  >:D

mnem
Enheavyment: TEA-speak and ironic term for enlightenment as quantified by curb weight of latest acquisition(s). Also, qualified as inverse function thereof.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81965 on: February 09, 2021, 04:17:17 am »

mnem
Enheavyment: TEA-speak and ironic term for enlightenment as quantified by curb weight of latest acquisition(s). Also, qualified as inverse function thereof.

I think now to get his fleet into proper trim this stack might be needed  >:D  :-DD eBay auction: #251769558969

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, hmscott

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81966 on: February 09, 2021, 06:36:55 am »

My bad, I misremembered.

You can calm the stability some in the 3055 by using its input filters or the Fast, Med, Slow read settings.

Obviously he needs to use the "Med" setting...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81967 on: February 09, 2021, 06:53:50 am »

Obviously he needs to use the "Med" setting...
So you might think but no, Slow as Med hasn't worked that out yet.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81968 on: February 09, 2021, 06:58:42 am »

mnem

This might contribute to that end:-
https://images.app.goo.gl/WZFeq8ergNiCncEL6

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #81969 on: February 09, 2021, 07:16:06 am »

mnem

I think now to get his fleet into proper trim this stack might be needed  >:D  :-DD eBay auction: #251769558969

God for it!   You know you want to.   >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81970 on: February 09, 2021, 08:07:08 am »
F*ck.

Lenovo's supply chain apparently has broken down completely. 6 months lead time  |O :palm:
So, no new P15, however our "used stuff storage" still had a P53 in stock. They would have to special order the SSD and RAM upgrade and I would have to live with an RTX 3000. RAM and SSD should be no problem, and 64GB should be plenty for the forseeable future.

Told my boss that I would use my Tesla P100s for longer running calculations (i.e. if the RTX3k was not sufficient) and got the approval for the order.

Same problem here. Stuck with the dell for months now  >:(

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81971 on: February 09, 2021, 08:36:34 am »
A luxury TEA question / advice sought: Today I spoke with my accountant and 2020 was financially a lot better than I thought, so I want to treat myself to something above my normal price limit (I usually buy defective devices and fix them, very rarely above €500). The Keithley 6500 has been on my "I want!" list since it came out and I now have the funds to afford it. But... I'm not sure. My main Desk DMM is a Keithley 2000, which I will never part with and is my most used device, but if you had the funds for a 6500 and wanted to buy a new DMM, would you choose the 6500 or would you buy a different DMM (and why)?

McBryce.

I'm not sure, if I would buy a DMM6500 if I'm having a Keithley 2000 and/or a 34401A. I'd go for the next step with 7 1/2 or, finally a 8 1/2 digit DMM (I'm still looking for an affordable 3458A).
But this depends also on what you want to do with it. For example, if you want to use it because of its fast sampling rate and the GUI which makes trends visible, go for it.

Welectron has an offer of around 1020 Euro for the DMM6500
https://www.welectron.com/Keithley-DMM6500-Tisch-Multimeter?utm_campaign=id

I'm having a DMM7510 and I love it.
Example:
Pictures of measurements of my resistor decade box:

Measuring trends on my LTFLU-1 10V prototype:

Measuring leakage current of some wet tantalum capacitors:

You'd love it to work with the DMM6500.   :)

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. 7.5 or 8.5 Meters are tempting, but don't really give me anything new that I would use. The features of the 6500 that interest me are the trending and data logging that it can do, especially that it can be viewed directly from the meter. The 7510 is on the wrong side of 4K and I couldn't justify an additional >3K for an extra digit (Steady down voltnuts! Just go along with me here).

As for the other suggestions: Source meter: Never really had a use for one. LCR Meter: I have a DER EE DE5000 that I'm very happy with. Motorbike: Haven't owned one since the 90's and I no longer have a license for one (and that's a good thing). My only other consideration would be a scope with a bigger screen (I currently use a Rigol MSO-1104Z), but I'd want something like an Agilent 4000 Series and these are also well outside the budget at the moment.

Thanks BU508A for the link, that's the cheapest I've seen it for so far. I should also mention, the Keithley 2000 wouldn't just be sitting on the desk being the second meter, I have 2 area that I work from and it would get moved to area 2 where I currently use a HP3478A which I would then sell.

McBryce.

Thanks again BU508A for the Welectron link. This morning I hit the big blue order button and there's now a brand new 6500 on its way to me :)
Anyone looking for a good condition HP3478A with a new battery?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81972 on: February 09, 2021, 08:58:21 am »
Both the 3456A and 8505A have been on for approx 18 hours and I have some interesting results.

Test set-up. One of the AD584-M's powered by USB and powered continuously during the test. It was set to the indicated 9.99691V. That voltage is achieved at 25 C. I noticed during the Winter months that both my AD584-M's read lower due to ambient 21 C and take a while to warm up.

Results: Within approx 2 hours the 3456A stabilized and didn't vary all night. The 8505A did not fair well. It started out agreeing with the 3456A within one or two digits but as the test progressed it's measurement kept continuing to drift lower and lower and it wasn't until maybe 12 hours into the test that it stopped. The 3465A stabilized at 9.99693V to 95. The 8505A finally stopped drifting at 9.99676V to 78. In real world applications that doesn't mean a hill of beans. But to a volt-nut that's tragic. And if you compare it to the other three AD584-M voltages it begins to tell a story....

AD584-M         3456A            8505A

2.50066V          2.50061V       2.50062V

4.99794V          4.99792V       4.99790V

7.50011V          7.50012V       7.50000V

You can clearly see a pattern here. As the voltage increases the 8505A becomes more and more inaccurate.

And as further proof that something is amiss with the 8505A. Here is the other AD584-M

AD584-M         3456A             8505A

2.49937V          2.49938V       2.49938V 

5.00030V          5.00034V       5.00030V

7.50042V          7.50050V       7.50038V     

10.00096V       10.00108V      10.00094V

I don't have the ability to perform a full calibration on the 8505A and I don't think it's worth the effort and expense to send it to a cal lab. And unfortunately there are no cal labs within reasonable driving distance. But I suspect there's more going on here than just a calibration. The non-linear delta as the voltage increases is very suspicious. And in order to troubleshoot this DMM you need an extender board which is almost impossible to find. So my choices are sell this 8505A as a parts only unit or just quietly retire it and hope that one day an extender board shows up. I haven't decided what to do yet.

And as a side note. Speaking of the Siglent SDM 3055. I've decided that when the budget allows I'm going to sent it in for a full calibration rather than attempt to “tweak” it myself. And here it is measuring the same 9.99691V after it's been powered up for over 12 hours. I would expect at least a reading of 9.9968V or 69. And it's off at least that much on all the other references. 

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81973 on: February 09, 2021, 09:57:22 am »
F*ck.

Same problem here. Stuck with the dell for months now  >:(
Whats the problem here then, Covid or Brexit?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81974 on: February 09, 2021, 10:18:49 am »
And as a side note. Speaking of the Siglent SDM 3055. I've decided that when the budget allows I'm going to sent it in for a full calibration rather than attempt to “tweak” it myself. And here it is measuring the same 9.99691V after it's been powered up for over 12 hours. I would expect at least a reading of 9.9968V or 69. And it's off at least that much on all the other references. 

It's not hard Med as you just access the range value and shift it a point or 2 then save it. If you write down the values you find you can always return it to where it was. I'll flick you the instructions to have a read of and have a look at how to access the DMM values and then make a decision if you're to undertake any tweaks.
Gimme a minute to dig the stuff out and stand by !  :popcorn:

Sent !
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:29:17 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf