Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16728709 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, factory, flash2b, nfmax and 105 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81875 on: February 08, 2021, 06:23:56 am »
Time to break out the Flir bean ?

Still on my wish list  >:D
OK so I'd go looking for crystals and make sure they are working at their prescribed frequencies and then check each rail and converters that supply them.
You might need to download a bunch of the device datasheets to ensure each device is getting the VCC it requires.
Could be a challenging project so you might need to find someone that can supply good coffee to get you fully on your game.  :P

Then it could just be a tiny crack on a PCB or cracked joint if a tank was indeed involved.  :-//
Good luck Sherlock !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81876 on: February 08, 2021, 07:48:22 am »
Dreamed I bought that Tek 7854 last night. Took me about ten minutes this morning to realise I hadn’t. Still haven’t worked out if the latent feeling is relief or disappointment. It’s consolidating on relief so far  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, AVGresponding

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81877 on: February 08, 2021, 08:08:19 am »
Dreamed I bought that Tek 7854 last night. Took me about ten minutes this morning to realise I hadn’t. Still haven’t worked out if the latent feeling is relief or disappointment. It’s consolidating on relief so far  :-DD

Dreamed I bought a hp 3456A and wouldn't you know it......in a few hours it will be out for delivery.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81878 on: February 08, 2021, 08:10:27 am »

OK so I'd go looking for crystals and make sure they are working at their prescribed frequencies and then check each rail and converters that supply them.
You might need to download a bunch of the device datasheets to ensure each device is getting the VCC it requires.
Could be a challenging project so you might need to find someone that can supply good coffee to get you fully on your game.  :P

Then it could just be a tiny crack on a PCB or cracked joint if a tank was indeed involved.  :-//
Good luck Sherlock !

You and I are on the same wavelength. Bean, did you try Artek Manuals for service info although they are a little weak on Fluke equipment.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81879 on: February 08, 2021, 08:23:58 am »

Good luck Sherlock !
You and I are on the same wavelength.
Yep simple stuff first or without it it won't work properly if at all.
Once the basics are present and correct just follow the input signal........
Bit different to CRO's where sometimes you work backward from the CRT plates.

How's Larry ? Anyone shed a tear for Curly ?  :'(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81880 on: February 08, 2021, 08:27:24 am »

Good luck Sherlock !

You and I are on the same wavelength. Bean, did you try Artek Manuals for service info although they are a little weak on Fluke equipment.

I ran this search string or a combination of it in the dim dark parts (also BAMA) of the web and no results other than Bogus manual sites. "Fluke (91, 92, 96, 105, 99)" . Just tried Artek too and only the older models I already have.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81881 on: February 08, 2021, 08:30:45 am »
ON THE BENCH TONIGHT: Making the World's Tiniest PCB!   ;)

That's it right there... two whole holes worth of 0.100" pitch perfboard.

Have a look at hearing aids. Some fit down inside the ear canal and have to be pulled out with a bit of string. The battery is down there as well as the microphone and speaker.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81882 on: February 08, 2021, 08:52:11 am »
I ran this search string or a combination of it in the dim dark parts (also BAMA) of the web and no results other than Bogus manual sites. "Fluke (91, 92, 96, 105, 99)" . Just tried Artek too and only the older models I already have.
Series II ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-105-scopemeter-series-ii-repair/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81883 on: February 08, 2021, 08:56:43 am »

Have a look at hearing aids. Some fit down inside the ear canal and have to be pulled out with a bit of string. The battery is down there as well as the microphone and speaker.

Also worth looking at https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Teardown/75578

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81884 on: February 08, 2021, 08:58:06 am »
Series II ?

Mine is the B, not sure but the series II seems to have been more pitched at the Auto industry? I have trawled EEVBlog and read the threads.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81885 on: February 08, 2021, 09:01:50 am »
Series II ?

Mine is the B, not sure but the series II seems to have been more pitched at the Auto industry? I have trawled EEVBlog and read the threads.
OK, 105B yeah you wrote that earlier.  |O
Found the Fluke 123 service manual....might be similar.
https://www.icsgroup.ru/upload/iblock/376/123_____smeng0300.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:06:12 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81887 on: February 08, 2021, 09:12:02 am »
They may have used CAV which was the commercial division of Lucas making primary diesel injection pumps and electrical bits for buses, marine craft and trucks IIRC there was also another company called SIMMS who did similar.
Dunno if CAV was around back in the 40's but certainly in the 70's when my TK Bedy was built with a 100A 24V CAV alternator and diesel system.
Yes they were around then for sure, the company was formed in 1892 and their gear was fitted to Bristol K type buses, made in 1936 and were still in daily use by the National Bus Company when I joined their engineering team in 1964.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81889 on: February 08, 2021, 09:16:41 am »
The PSU board from Curly has been installed in Larry and the +50V reference checked. And all the PSU voltages verified.

I'm going to put Larry on the torture rack and start the burn-in process even though there is more work to do. And that's the extent of the work on this project today. I have that 3456A arriving later and hopefully it will be play time.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Mortymore, Kosmic

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81890 on: February 08, 2021, 09:21:09 am »
They may have used CAV which was the commercial division of Lucas making primary diesel injection pumps and electrical bits for buses, marine craft and trucks IIRC there was also another company called SIMMS who did similar.
Dunno if CAV was around back in the 40's but certainly in the 70's when my TK Bedy was built with a 100A 24V CAV alternator and diesel system.
Yes they were around then for sure, the company was formed in 1892 and their gear was fitted to Bristol K type buses, made in 1936 and were still in daily use by the National Bus Company when I joined their engineering team in 1964.

Did those buses ever get top heavy or did the heavy chassis more than compensate for that?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81891 on: February 08, 2021, 09:24:54 am »

Also worth looking at https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Teardown/75578

Those are enormous by comparison, equivalent to  "in ear" hearing aids. Turning AirPods into "in canal" aids would require cosmetic surgery (for some value of "cosmetic").

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81892 on: February 08, 2021, 09:27:11 am »
The PSU board from Curly has been installed in Larry and the +50V reference checked. And all the PSU voltages verified.

Including the 13V line with several 15V tant beads (e.g. C911)?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81893 on: February 08, 2021, 09:44:25 am »

Did those buses ever get top heavy or did the heavy chassis more than compensate for that?
The chassis on those was pretty substantial and of course the engine and running gear was not lightweight either. The design criteria called for the top deck to be fully laden and be tilted to an angle of 28 degrees without tilting over onto its side as this video, shows they tested way beyond that angle, with the top fully laden while the lower deck is unladen and then the inspector goes upstairs to check it is loaded correctly, and it does not tilt any further. I have never known a double-decker bus to tip over.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81894 on: February 08, 2021, 10:11:04 am »

Including the 13V line with several 15V tant beads (e.g. C911)?

Yep.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81895 on: February 08, 2021, 10:21:13 am »

The chassis on those was pretty substantial and of course the engine and running gear was not lightweight either. The design criteria called for the top deck to be fully laden and be tilted to an angle of 28 degrees without tilting over onto its side as this video, shows they tested way beyond that angle, with the top fully laden while the lower deck is unladen and then the inspector goes upstairs to check it is loaded correctly, and it does not tilt any further. I have never known a double-decker bus to tip over.

That's an extremely confident test engineer, casually walking under and inside a bus tilted close to its limit. Good that it wasn't windy that day.
They don't seem to account for the fact that if a bus tilted that far, the upstairs passengers would all be thrown to one side, unlike the sandbags that will happily stay evenly distributed on each side.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:23:49 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81896 on: February 08, 2021, 11:56:10 am »
I doubt the passengers would leave their seats as there are grab rails in front of them and standing on the top deck was strictly forbidden except for boarding and exiting the bus at all times. Standing was on allowed on the lower deck. As you saw in the video, it was still possible to stand and walk along the top deck even at that angle. Buses never travel fast enough for them to lean anywhere near that angle on bends or turns, whatever the conditions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:58:33 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81897 on: February 08, 2021, 12:37:20 pm »
I doubt the passengers would leave their seats as there are grab rails in front of them and standing on the top deck was strictly forbidden except for boarding and exiting the bus at all times. Standing was on allowed on the lower deck. As you saw in the video, it was still possible to stand and walk along the top deck even at that angle. Buses never travel fast enough for them to lean anywhere near that angle on bends or turns, whatever the conditions.

You obviously haven't been on a London bus recently, some of the yahoos driving them exhibit skills more appropriate to a dogem car at the fair than a "London transport, diesel engine, ninety-seven horsepower omnibus".

http://youtube.com/4UgBZfInBlU?t=34
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:57:53 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81898 on: February 08, 2021, 01:01:25 pm »

You obviously haven't been on a London bus recently, some of the yahoos driving them exhibit skills more appropriate to a dogem car at the fair than a "London transport, diesel engine, ninety-seven horsepower omnibus".

https://youtube.com/4UgBZfInBlU?t=34
:-DD With some streets in London, if that were true, they would be smashing into buildings and road signs etc, except that they don't because as I said, they never travel fast enough, nor capable of turning that quick (too many turns of the steering wheel, lock to lock) to be able to exert sufficient centrifugal force for them to lean enough. The only time I hear of buses striking a building etc it is the result of an accident where the bus has mounted the pavement and the bus gets damaged from top to bottom. Other than that they can and do at times get driven down roads with low bridges and overhanging trees when the top deck receives structural damage, but that is not as a result of the bus tilting, just the moron driving it getting lost or not looking out for trees  :palm:

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81899 on: February 08, 2021, 01:22:34 pm »

Good luck Sherlock !

A lot of work for creamed spinach. Don't you have a blender, bean...?  :-DD

My gut reaction as well is that there's a micro-fracture somewhere.

Good hunting, old friend!

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf